[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What has /pol/ read so far this year?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 187
Thread images: 41
File: books 2016.jpg (1 MB, 3072x1728) Image search: [Google]
books 2016.jpg
1 MB, 3072x1728
What have you read this year? give reviews

>crippled america
8/10
>art of the deal
11/10
>Thing big
7/10
>think like a champion
8/10
>founding brothers
10/10 must read
>Hiroshima
6/10 too short and political towards the end
>secret history of the CIA
4/10 misleading title, unjustifiably long
>Freud interpretation of dreams
2/10 first 40 pages are amazing, rest of book is self indulgent shit
>bill oreilly: no spin zone
1/10 literally just transcripts from shows and brief analysis
>founding fathers
6/10 generic, repetitive
>Treason
8/10 not anns best
>grant
9/10 but long af
>exporting america
7/10 informative but all over the place, no focus
>duel
9/10 but very academic not for everyone
>Reagan diaries
7/10 insightful but long winded
>candid
9/10
>perils of peace
7/10 too close to reading a text book
>>
>The Bible
10/10
>>
File: pepe stan.jpg (47 KB, 475x413) Image search: [Google]
pepe stan.jpg
47 KB, 475x413
>>76759966
in fairness i walked right into that one
>>
>>76759713
I real academic books with peer reviewed proof.

Not this first year trash you have piled up in your pic.

You are CONFIRMED as a try-hard first year university student with zero intellectual ability.

Go suck drumpfs dick, KEKLES.
>>
File: tiresome.jpg (86 KB, 797x748) Image search: [Google]
tiresome.jpg
86 KB, 797x748
nobody wants to talk about Trump books?
>>
File: Trump canadians.png (53 KB, 628x349) Image search: [Google]
Trump canadians.png
53 KB, 628x349
>>76760110
>post nothing

leafs are easily the worst posters on the internet
>>
>>76759713
OP
make a file compilation of these and put it in the OP
>>
>>76759713

Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy - 10/10

Stalingrad - Antony Beevor - 9/10

From Socrates to Sartre -TZ Levine - 7/10

The Martian - Andy Weir - 7/10

The Apology of Socrates - Plato - 8/10

Phaedo - Plato - 8/10

An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding - David Hume - infinity/10
>>
>>76761582
wait, do you mean like digital copies of the books?

ill try, don't really know where to find them
>>
>>76761648

Blood Meridian is one of the best books i have ever read

should have never let someone borrow it, would love to reread it
>>
>>76759713
Mostly just been reading technical books for work, CISCO, NetAPP etc. I did buy The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham a few months ago but I haven't even started it yet.
>>
>>76761725
>>>/lit/ should have a guide to using an irc client and going to undernet to download free books
it should be in the sticky
>>
>>76762060
also, I don't rec actually using /lit/
it's the equivalent shithole of any hobby when you mash 4chan together with it
/pol/ is a prime example
>>
>>76762058
>well reviewed by warren buffet

thats a pretty glowing endorsement

might need to check that out after i finish Clintons war on women
>>
>>76759713
>the federalist papers
7/10
>the mask of command
8/10
>democracy: the god that failed
6/10
>the accidental guerilla
9/10
>on thermonuclear war
9/10
>seapower by Till
10/10
the communist manifesto
I don't know how to rate that

I'm in the middle of ghost wars now
>>
>>76761850
It really is the best piece of fiction I've read in many years. Everything I've read by McCarthy has been great, but Blood Meridian is in another league.
>>
>>76762200
Benjamin Graham is the guy who Warren Buffet looked up to, he even worked for him too when he was starting out IIRC.
>>
>>76762199
Yeah i know /lit/s a shithole

Have seen their "required reading list" which consists of such highschool classics as A tree grows in Brooklyn and catcher in the rye

ill just search myself, pretty sure finding Freud and the grant bio will be pretty easy

and i think /tg/ has links to all the Trump books
>>
>>76762303
yeah i don't really like fiction much (Overdosed on it in my youth) but reading Blood Meridian was a fucking blast

Read it in one night when i was camping, seriously could not put it down
>>
>>76762060
https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Bookz
>>
>>76762286
>the federalist papers

my nigger

>communist manifesto

I actually enjoyed it enough, but thought it was full of bullshit all the same

Its better than Das Kapital anyway
>not like that means anything at all
>>
I used to love to read. Just realized I haven't read a single book this year.

Anyone want to recommend something lightly thought provoking to get me back into it?
>>
>>76762343
I haven't really heard much about Graham in comparison to Buffet

Not much of an economics guy tbqh, should probably start moving into that field a little more
>>
>>76759713
>Human Action, Ludwig von Mises
9/10

>The core teachings of the buddha
7/10

>Buddhism by the number
5/10

>The doctrine of awakening, Evola
8/10

>The idea of critical theory
8/10

>The comprachicos, Ayn Rand
9/10

>Performative action, Butler
N/A

>Blindfolding America, Coughlin
10/10

>Islamic jihad : a legacy of forced conversion, imperialism and slavery
10/10

>The four imams
NA

>For the new intellectuals, Ayn Rand
10/10

Lots of perusing.
>>
>>76762910
I would rate it higher if only it wasn't such a snorefest, talking about the same points over and over again
Was still a great read though
>>
File: r8orh8.png (1 MB, 1545x869) Image search: [Google]
r8orh8.png
1 MB, 1545x869
>>76759713
r8 h8 masturb8 to my "reading now" stack?

What do you guys think?
>>
>>76763028
If you like american history i couldn't recommend Revolutionary Summer (ellis) more highly

Its very entertaining, mixes battlefield happenings with the continental congress in a way that really flows well

and its only like 250 pages so its a good "getting back into reading" book

If your more of a fiction guy Blood Meridian would be good, or maybe some vonnegut, pallinuk, or Finney if you want something more lighthearted
>>
>he fell for the alt right meme
>>
File: constantine book cover.jpg (43 KB, 276x455) Image search: [Google]
constantine book cover.jpg
43 KB, 276x455
Re-reading this one, an interting look at Constantine that goes beyond the impact he had on Church history, and is more of a general biography (does not ignore his leadership roll in the Church, just does not stick to that exclusively.)

In setting the stage for his rise vor power, it also does a good job looking at the rise of Diocletian and the Tetrarchy, and at the reigns of a few emperors before that just for the sake of completeness.

My only real complaint is that it does not follow the story of Constantine's re-unification of Rome through the reigns of his sons adequately.
>>
>>76763412
Haven't read any of them

How was the Sowell book?

I've been thinking about picking up one of his works, despite how much of a faggot hes been over the last couple of months
>>
>>76759713
>computer takes all free time

send help
>>
>>76763412
I don't know about the first book, the constitution of liberty is a long but a worthy read.
Sowell, i don't know tbf. I don't really like his style, his demonstrations are often lacking and dubious but his obversations are still goof. Have not read that book though.

8/10

On classical liberalism I also enjoyed "freedom and the law" by Bruno Leoni
>>
>>76763592
damn, sounds really interesting

i've never really delved into pre-american history, but that does sound like an interesting time period to focus on, despite the lack of the re-unification period you mentioned
>>
>>76763515
I prefer non-fiction because I feel like there is more that I can take away from the experience. I do like American history, and I love being knowledgeable about significant world events. I'll see if I can pick it up from a library this afternoon. Thanks anon.
>>
>>76762286
>the communist manifesto
>I don't know how to rate that

Rate it "misfiled under Non Fiction."
>>
>>76763898
How to Be Victorian just kind of details how the Brits lived, dressed, woke up, made food, etc. back in the Victorian era. It's pretty cool because the author tries all the methods out and reports how they work; one example being brushing her teeth with ground up cuttlefish. I picked it up because I read on here that the Victorian era was free of a lot of degeneracy and there were distinct gender roles.

Hayek is top-tier for sure. Definitely a lot of his arguments can be applied to fight leftism today.

Sowell is good. He writes in a very straightforward way. I read it for the title essay, "Black Rednecks & White Liberals". There are like 5 other essays in there; one on the Jews too.

I'll check out that book by Leoni.

>>76763731
I've only read the first two essays in the Sowell book. I r8 7/10. He ignores a lot of potential genetic arguments, but I guess when discussing history genetics is moot.
>>
History of the Peloponnesian War
With Fire and Sword
Anthem

I've kind of sucked at reading this year.
>>
>>76764178
>I prefer non-fiction because I feel like there is more that I can take away from the experience

I feel the exact same way

I promise you'll enjoy it, there were alot of things I took away from the book that i was completely unaware of before i read it

>Knowltons rangers vs the british highlanders&hessians in the battle of harlem heights

Get ready for some serious patriotic feels at different parts
>>76764309
>Rate it "misfiled under Non Fiction."
>>
>>76764547
the thucydides one? How was it?
>>
File: 1465397538976.jpg (58 KB, 463x325) Image search: [Google]
1465397538976.jpg
58 KB, 463x325
I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on 4chan anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 329x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 329x500
>>76763412
>>76763731
>>76764334
I honestly thought this was Sowell's best book
>>
>>76764155
If you asre not familiar with the perior, I would not start there. Start with some history of the late Republic and the rise of the Empire.

I'd recommend Everitt's "Cicero," Holland's "Rubicon," and Goldsworthy's "Augustus as a good place to start with Rome. From there you can go back and pick up Marius/Sulla, or move forward into the Empire.

Another one you might like is ":Rome's Last Citizen" by Goodman and Soni, a biography of Cato the Youner who was the last uncompromising total ass-hole complete prig defending the Republic from Caesar -- a complicated guy who lived an interesting life.

I tend to approach Roman history through biography, that seems to work well for me, but maybe that's just me -- I'm not a "memorize dates" guy, I want to learn about the people.

On the fiction side, "I, Claudius" and "Claudius the God" are very good, though heavily slanted towards a point of view that does not seem to me to stand up to scrutiny.
>>
>>76759713
Been reading Atlas Shrugged. I'm a little over halfway through and it's great, also cool how many parallels there are between it and current life.
>>
>>76764942
>Another one you might like is ":Rome's Last Citizen" by Goodman and Soni, a biography of Cato the Youner who was the last uncompromising total ass-hole complete prig defending the Republic from Caesar -- a complicated guy who lived an interesting life

that sounds right up my alley, ill have to see if its at the library near me

>I tend to approach Roman history through biography, that seems to work well for me, but maybe that's just me -- I'm not a "memorize dates" guy, I want to learn about the people.

I feel the same way about American history, thats why i will always prefer ellis's writing to flemmings

He delves more into the character of the men, good and bad aspects, and doesn't take a timeline academic standpoint
>which at times can be confusing as he'll jump forward twenty years and then back 10 in a single paragraph
>>
File: image.jpg (175 KB, 419x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
175 KB, 419x640
>>76764942
You forgot to include this in the fiction section. I can't account for its accuracy though because it's been a long while since I last read it
>>
>>76759713
Just started mein kampf, about 50 pages in. This faggot sucks at writing but tries so hard to be intellectual. That's all I've gotten from it so far.
>>
Championship fighting - Jack Dempsey
7/10 more if your are into boxing/history of boxing

Tao of Physics - Capra
8/10 Interesting, but streaches for many of it's conclusions, good read if you enjoy science and eastern philosophy

Does it Matter? - Alan Watts
9/10 this is mainly essays on materialism and wealth also eastern philosophy, the "murder in the kitchen" essay should ring true for any /ck/ folks.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra- Frederick Nietzsche
I sincerely enjoyed this read. As you start reading, it is very compelling and seductive, the reasoning and delivery is exemplary. As you continue and it builds on itself, you realize there is no joy in this book and begin to see the author is a tormented soul far detached from the reality of human discourse. It's basically /pol/ the book.
>>
>>76765497
Make sure you're not reading one of the edited watered down cucked versions. Most versions of that book are trash
>>
>>76764838
>-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.

hmm there should be a /pol/ reading discussion general

>I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on 4chan anymore.

i know this feel

Started a year and a half ago when i was working an overnight job

Got fired because got caught reading on camera for 7 hours of my 9 hour shift

Stopped playing vidya entirely, barley spend time with friends anymore
>>
>>76765210
I read 3 quarters of it. Really liked but it gets painfully circle-jerky for like 100 pages
>>
>>76765653
I've got the copie that is translated by Ralph Manheim.
>>
File: Horo™ (4).gif (202 KB, 336x336) Image search: [Google]
Horo™ (4).gif
202 KB, 336x336
Spice & Wolf
>tfw being weeaboo
>>
>>76765569
>Nietzsche

wew lad

I can't even do it anymore

read beyond good and evil, was one of the more depressing periods in my life
>>
Founding Brothers is dry but fucking fantastic. Another great one is The Secret Knowledge by David Mamet (spelling?) 9/10
>>
>>76764677
I got an audiobook of it for free straightaway from my library. Thanks again friend.
>>
>>76765653
I just saw they started carrying it again at B&N

Is the Mifflin translation shit?
>>
>>76766024
no prob

damn, the audiobooks going to be great

will be chilling when you hit the "i regret that i have but one life to give for my country" section with Nathan Hale

enjoy it m8
>>
>>76764760

Yeah, by Thucydides. It was pretty great. It's tough to read the whole thing at 600 pages and there is a lot of mentioning of minor people, cities, and regions that you won't care about, but there's also some really good parts like the plague of Athens, the siege of Pylos, Sicily expedition, and just anything involving Alcibiades.
>>
>>76765824
Do you remember where the 100ish pages were? I've read some long winded parts so far like D'Anconia's speech discussing the "evil" of money but other than that I haven't seen anything I'd call a circle jerk.
>>
I don't read often as I should but I recently read The Way Of Men by Jack Donovan. Fantastic book, highly recommended to anyone here, especially those who are confused about masculinity.
One of the biggest takeaways from the book for me was the author's explanation of the difference between being a good man and being good at being a man.
I'd give it a 7/10 though because it really falls off towards the end and gets relatively incoherent when compared to the first three quarters.
>>
>>76765692
/pol/ has had reading discussion attempts but it would usually get over-run by hotwheels commies, or die because no-one had the books readily available for people to jump in
it could work now though with our unified american candidate
>>
Currently reading this one. It's pretty good so far, I'm at the part before lend lease but Britian is overwhelming the US with orders for military goods and equipment and chrysler agreeing to build the M3 Lee in Detroit in early 1941 for england and the US army.
>>
>>76765947
>Founding Brothers is dry but fucking fantastic

True

but I actually threw up from laughing so hard when i got to the section about Jefferson being an anglophobe

>this was at the height of the anti-anglo german poster on /pol/

Also the duel will never stop being interesting for me
>>
>>76766323

In hindsight, you could probably just read the interesting bits while reading a summary to get the general idea of what's happening, especially with the speeches/debates.
>>
File: 240485.jpg (33 KB, 260x400) Image search: [Google]
240485.jpg
33 KB, 260x400
Reading this now. Its really good.
>>
>>76765935
Yeah, there were many times I wish I could reach into the book pull Nietzsche out and either debate him, or just give him a hug.
>>
Give me some tips, /pol/, on how to read faster. For me, 1 hour of reading is 40 pages. Longer if I'm writing notes.

Do any of you keep notes on the books that you read? Rather than using a pen and paper I use a computer file. It's just a simple text file. I would use a program that can format the text, such as a world file, but I like the quick opening of the text file. Word files take so long to open and the program is bulky.
>>
>>76766427
I learned a bit about that stuff when i was working in car sales actually

would like to get further in depth, might have to pick that one up
>>
>>76766123
>>76765861
I'm pretty sure those are the same version and they aren't too bad. If I remember right the biggest issue with that version is him for no reason replacing and substituting the word Jewish in certain passages where hitler uses the word Germans
>>
>>76759713
>Dante's Inferno - 10/10
>Crippled America by Donald Trump - 8/10
>Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal by Ayn Rand - 9/10
>The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli - 9/10
>Arguing With Idiots by Glenn Beck - 6/10
>Taking A Stand by Rand Paul - 8/10
>>
>>76759966
FPFB
>>
> The10,000 year explosion: How Civilization Accelerated Human Evolution

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I wanted a book that would have basically cataloged all the differences in traits between populations; however, it's more of a book about the theoretical driving forces for human evolution and it showed me concepts I hadn't though of.

>Before the dawn: recovering the lost history of our ancestors

Pretty interesting. Developed a basic understanding of anthropology from it. Looking forward to a troublesome inheritance for some more serious HBD stuff.

>The battle of spain by antonty beevor

Franco was a sly fox and knew how to create a successful coalition/political organization despite being an ok general.
>>
>>76766939
mon nègre.

J'espère juste que tu n'es pas un protestant.
>>
File: Summary01.jpg (3 MB, 4063x6657) Image search: [Google]
Summary01.jpg
3 MB, 4063x6657
Daily reminder that there are already a list of /pol/ books. Lot of redpills.

>pic 1/2
>>
>>76766359
>jack donovan

damn, why does that sounds so familiar. WHat else did he write?

>>76766758
speed reading classes were still trendy when i was a kid, but I only do maybe 100 pages an hour on a good day

I don't really think you're doing that bad

I only take notes if necessary

>like with Clintons war on women because i want to educate /tg/ on it
>>
>>76759713
The Bible and Psycho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz. Both bretty good.
>>
File: Summary02.jpg (3 MB, 4063x6565) Image search: [Google]
Summary02.jpg
3 MB, 4063x6565
>>76767157

>pic 2/2
>>
>>76766758
Unless you are reading for work or school, don't bother, it's a hobby at that point. If you ARE only reading for that reason, first, shame, second, either take a speed reading course, or just read for fun more often. I read about three times as fast as anyone I know and it all stems from message boards/bbs/4chan. Been doing it since the dial-up bbs ages.
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 231x346) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 231x346
I also highly recommend this book. It's written by a feminist who hates what feminism has become because it's killing men
>>
File: 1452241888644.jpg (85 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1452241888644.jpg
85 KB, 500x500
>>76767322
>Savitri Devi
>>
File: what.gif (1 MB, 268x274) Image search: [Google]
what.gif
1 MB, 268x274
>>76767157
>the glass bead game instead of siddartha or steppenwolf

>welcome to the monkey house instead of mother night

why?
>>
>>76759713
I've nerded out this year and only read the Malazan series.

10/10 fantasy books
>>
>>76766878
Taking a stand was great

I can't even image what reading a glenn beck book must be like
>>
>>76767157
>Napoleon Hill
>48 laws of power
How are those books? Sounds like memes to me, I mean it's the type of things that I believe you learn from experience, not books.

Also requesting opinion on "the three meters zone", is it even worth it? Shit is kinda pricey for what it is.
>>
>>76767434
hold the phone

wasn't summers the woman who did the university thing with milo and crowder?
>>
>>76768016
Yessir. she's the feminist who absolutely triggers other feminists and she thinks safe spaces are for retards
>>
>>76767999
and also on Lee Kuan Jew memoirs if anyone has read it
>>
>>76762445
/tg/ is pro trump? I left because the PC police were getting too much traction. Can I finally return to my home?
>>
>>76768173
shes fantastic, will definitely need to add her to the list

she even held her own banter-wise with two men whos jobs are essentially just bantering
>>
I've read 34 books this year, and a macroeconomics textbook. The most entertaining were The Golden Ass and Fortress Besieged. The only undeniably shit book was Moravagine. Political books mostly pertained to classical liberalism, and libertarianism; of those I most recommend Socialism by Ludwig Von Mises, and his polemic The Anti-Capitalist Mentality. Next to read is A Nation In Waiting (a book about contemporary Indonesia), and I'd also like to read Economists with Guns --one of my best friends is Indonesia, that's why I'm interested in such an insignificant country.
>>
>>76768289
/tg/=Trumpgeneral

sorry to get your hopes up famm :^(

/tg/ (the board) is still a shithole
>>
>>76766870
Thanks for your input anon. WhIle I read I sometimes replace the word "german" with "american" and holy fuck it's like the Germany/Austria hitler grew up in, is the America I'm living in.
>>
>>76766870
Is there any way to know when I stumble upon these shinanigans?
>>
>>76768507
It's ok, I should have known better.
>>
>>76762058
wew same here, been wanting to read up on that for a while
Anyway, I read some essentials, basically just the whole /pol/ approved reading list
>Atlas Shrugged
>Guns, Germs and Steel
>How to win Friends and Influence People
>Il Duce
>The Way of Men
>From those wonderful folks who gave you Pearl Harbor
>Generation Identity
Reading "For a new Liberty" atm desu
>>
>>76768476
I read Economists with guns right after college when i was in my heavy duty cold war phase

You will not be disappointed
>>
Bumping for knowledge
>>
>>76768900
I read all quiet on the western front recently

:) I love you
>>
File: image.jpg (367 KB, 1536x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
367 KB, 1536x1536
>>76768376
I haven't read her other book but I know it also triggers tumblr because she calls out the bullshit rape statistics. Can anyone who's read it recommend?
>>
>>76768900
>guns germans and steel
>/pol/ approved

topkek. That book is complete pseudoscience.
>>
>>76766939
>J'espère juste que tu n'es pas un protestant.

Le protestantisme(calvinisme) au est une religion française contrairement au catholicisme,
>>
>>76759713

Is the Art of the Deal actually that good or are you just memeing?
>>
>>76761648
Apology and Phaedo are pretty damn good, just read them last week.
>>
File: berniecuck2.jpg (46 KB, 480x690) Image search: [Google]
berniecuck2.jpg
46 KB, 480x690
>>76768900
>guns, germs, and steel

>/pol/ approved

you better be trolling right now hans..
>>
Pilgrims Progress for the first time in years 8/10 very slow in some areas
The Canterbury Tales
Pretty dam good 8/10

The book of Mormon
4/10 bad fanfic tier
>>
>>76759966
fpbp
>>
>>76769114
It's actually that good anon.
>>
>>76769114
No, its really that good.

You can pick up a paperback for $6.99, turn off the computer and go do it right now

Or just get it for free from Trumpgen, not like he needs the money
>>
>>76759713
Capitalism and Freedom by Milton Fried

Economics in one lesson by Henry Hazlitt

The road to serfdom by F. A. Hayek

Some manual on how to properly care for betta fish
>>
File: 1361426772832.jpg (1 MB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1361426772832.jpg
1 MB, 3000x2000
>>76769202
>>76769046
its right here
ill agree though, its pretty shitty leftist propaganda
>>
Anything on China btw? Like, history of geopolitics?
I know Mahan wrote a book about it but... it might be a little outdated now
>>
>>76769444
Sun tzu that's all iv read about china.
>inb4 pleb
>>
>>76769444
Those trips....
>>
File: reading.jpg (588 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
reading.jpg
588 KB, 1600x900
>>76759713

The usual...
>>
>>76768671
Im trying to find you a good source but unfortunately with a book like that most of what I'm getting is infowars tier. Stormfront might unironically be your best the best source for a version that isn't subject to historical revisionism http://nationalvanguard.org/2015/09/which-is-the-best-translation-of-mein-kampf/
>>
>>76769711
those dubs
I've got two trips in that thread, too bad it is a slow one>>
>>
>>76769908
>I've got two trips in that thread, too bad it is a slow one>>

eh i like it

nice and /comfy/ pace, dancing between pg 2 and 3

less trolling, more discussion

>we have gotten a shitload of gets that went unchecked doh
>>
>>76769728
>omaha beach sand

story?
>>
>>76759713

> 1984, Orwell 10/10
>Tom Sawyer, Twain 9/10
>Necronomicon, Lovecraft 8/10
>Through The Looking Glass, Caroll 6/10

And I gave Ulysses by Joyce a shot, but after I got through about 30 pages and I realized I had no fucking clue what was going on, I put it down.
>>
>>76770567
>lovercraft
>only 8/10

don't make me come over to your house anon

Do you have the full Lovecraft collection? Best 20 dollars I ever spent

reading in order and haven't actually gotten to that story yet so maybe its shit

but Dagon, the tomb, the reanimator, and color of space are goat
>>
>>76759713

YOU'RE A RETARD IF YOU THINK THE ART OF THE DEAL IS GOOD

>hitler biography
>count monte cristo
>forrest gump
>diary of manfredd von richtofen
>fellowship of ring
>biography of john brown
>ted cruz and sarah palin bios, both were SHIT but cruz's was tolerable

best one was john brown. he was more redpilled than any of you will ever be. best biography for hitler is by john toland is 10/10

fuck trump, he's a fake, his books are shit. art of the cuck was just so boring and awful, only good part was when he talked about his family.
>>
>>76770567
Dealing with Ulysses is a rough ride, I'd recommend starting with faulker for a starting point on books where the writing is all euphemisms and metaphors (i.e. There's and entire passage about picnics that's actually about kinky sex). The worst part of books like Ulysses is dealing with pseudo intellectuals jerking themselves off and trying to sound smart while they condescend your intelligence
>>
>>76759713
Mein kampf by hitler
7/10 interesting but could get boring in parts. Maybe just the translation I had. And yes and I guess on obligated to say: I just read it for curiosity not because I'm pro nazi

1984- George Orwell. I'd say 9.5/10 and it really seems to have a lot of parallels with what's going on nowadays

Koran- 0/10 it's really messed up and very boring like reading an instruction manual. I read it so I could know the enemy
>>
File: IMG_9668.jpg (1 MB, 4000x2667) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9668.jpg
1 MB, 4000x2667
>The Sixth Extinction
All the planet goes into trash 10/10, i liked that one

>The call of Cthulhu and other weird stories
This shit doesn't deserve the hype. 4/10

>The Right Stuff
8/10

>The March of the Folly
10/10, we are being ruled by some bunch of idiots since the known history. Human are not created to rule other humans obviously

>The Omnivores dilemma
Quite informative 7/10

>The Prize
Will make you hate jews and the eternal anglo, 10/10

>Embracing Defeat
I always wondered how Japan recovered after the war, This book gives the answer. But it becomes boring after a while 6/10

>Learning to Eat soup with a knife
Why armies suck at guerrilla warfare, that's the answer 7/10
>>
>>76763028
If you haven't already give 1984 a read
>>
>>76771112
>>The call of Cthulhu and other weird stories
>This shit doesn't deserve the hype. 4/10

what other stories do they have other than Cthulhu?

Bc most of the Lovercraft i've read so far is phenomenal
>>
>>76759966
"Ring of Steel"
8/10
Excellent overview of German-speaking nations during WW1 - can't find any faults with it, but the writing isn't exceptional.
>>
>>76769840
Thanks for the link anon
>>
>>76769908
You must be a god.
>>
>>76771443
I have not read anything by Orwell even though he seems to be universally hailed as a prophet.

I think it's time I gave him a chance. Thank you.
>>
Forgotten Soldier 10/10
>>
>>76770812

Easy, bruv! Some of the stories are better than the others, hence the 8/10. I tried talking my wife into getting a cat and naming it Niggerman; she laughed, but no cat.

>>76771081

Thank for the tip. I have A Farewell To Arms by Hemmingway and Babbitt by Lewis on the queue, but I'll be sure to be on the lookout for Faulkner. Anything in particular by him?
>>
File: disgust ivanka.png (271 KB, 344x380) Image search: [Google]
disgust ivanka.png
271 KB, 344x380
>>76759713
>crippled america
>8/10
I own the book and it was too short.
>>
>>76772154
thats why its only an 8/10...

It was very obviously written to be accessible to a large range of people, took that into account when rating it

Still was a solid read and did expand on some of his policies at a time when the "drumpf doesn't have any policies hurr meme" was still popular
>>
I've started:

>Libertarian Reader
>Economics in One Lesson

Also got the Libertarian Mind and For a New Liberty by Rothbard that I need to start.

I'm not the biggest reader but im trying to change that
>>
>>76769840
Went to the link and it said I've got the most accurate translation. Thanks again anon.
>>
>>76772527
which one was it?

>for future reference
>>
File: 241n95w.jpg (146 KB, 506x480) Image search: [Google]
241n95w.jpg
146 KB, 506x480
>>76770263
>>omaha beach sand
>story?

My grandfather was a Technical Sergeant in the 2nd Ranger B and landed on Omaha in the first waves. After surviving the landings the first day he took some of the sand and mailed it home to my grandmother and infant Dad before he was killed in action a few weeks later in the invasion.

OK, not really. I just visited last year. Was awesome though.
>>
>>76772495
I recommend Candide by Voltaire as well. You say that you're an inexperienced reader, so you might find reading something light and easily-digestible beneficial for improving your attention and desire to sit and read other books for long-periods. Voltaire was a classical liberal, his values are basically the same as libertarians:
Here's an excerpt from Candide.
>"One fine day in spring he [Candide] took it into his head to go for a stroll, simply walking straight ahead, in the belief that it was the privilege of the humans, as of the animal species to use its legs how it wished. He had not gone two leagues when up came four other heroes, each six feet tall, who tied him up and carted him off to a dungeon. They
asked him which, juridically speaking, he preferred: whether to run the gauntlet of the entire regiment thirty-six times, or to have twelve lead bullets shot through his brains at one go. It did no good his talking about the freedom of the individual and saying that, personally, he wished for neither: a choice had to be made. He resolved, by virtue of that gift of God called 'freedom', to run the gauntlet thirty-six times."
>>
Orwell - 1984 - 10/10
Burgess - Clockwork Orange - 9/10
Mommsen - Roman History 11/10
Raspail - Camp of Saints 9/10
Tolstoi - War and Peace 11/10
The Mysteries of Freemasonry Unveiled - Caro Rodril 9/10
+ various books about contemporary economic and political questions
>>
>>76772901
The Ralph Manheim translation.
>>
File: fuck yes.jpg (17 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
fuck yes.jpg
17 KB, 480x480
>>76773055
anon you son of a bitch
>>
File: good ol Snorri.jpg (78 KB, 515x800) Image search: [Google]
good ol Snorri.jpg
78 KB, 515x800
>>76759966
>>76762199
>>76762200
>>76763155
>>76764155
>>76764677
>>76765377
>>76766699
>>76767322
>>76767999
>>76768900
>>76769000
>>76769377
>>76769444
>>76769711
>>76773055
Kek implores us to sharpen our minds.

Anyone got any suggestions for Norse mythology? I've got The Poetic Edda on order now. Used to read tons of Greek back in the day and loved it. Trying to use this to start reading again, /pol/ has me turned on to getting into nonfiction.
>>
>>76773170
second this

its a must read
>subtly hidden in OP image
>>
>>76759713
You wasted a lot of time reading a lot of shit.
>>
>>76773457

Ramsay - The Nameless War 10/10
>antisemitic bestseller written by british member of parliament Ramsay, a close associate of Chamberlain, who turned into a rabid antisemite on the eve of WW2 when he personally witnessed how the jews forced Britain into war against Germany and was thrown into prison by Churchill
>>
>>76773170
thanks anon
>>
File: meme magician.png (2 MB, 1350x2000) Image search: [Google]
meme magician.png
2 MB, 1350x2000
>>76773721
>triple trips
>quads
>countless dubs

thank you for checking that shit anon

>Norse mythology

sorry, ive got nothing.
>>
Guys how long does it take you to read a book?
>>
>>76771954
No problem. I'd almost say read 1984 twice if you have time. First time just read it as is and second time try and compare it to current events

Animal Farm was pretty good too however it's mostly just a parody on communism and stamina Russia however it can also be interpreted as a cautionary tale about wanting radical change in government

now some say Orwell was a socialist but it seems clear that whatever his politics he disliked control over others and could see what may happen with technology being used to control and enslave
>>
Oh look, it's the
>muh intellectual superiority because of muh "high brow" reading list of half a dozen books...
thread.

t. read hundreds of books annually with a roughly 1/3rd ratio being texbooks etc.
>>
Recommended reading:

>The Moral Case for Fossil Fuels by Alex Epstein
>Equal is Unfair by Don Watkins
>Free Market Revolution by Yaron Brook
>The Virtue Of Selfishness by Ayn Rand
>Philosophy: Who Needs it by Ayn Rand
>Ender *logy by Orson Scott Card
>Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal by Ayn Rand (This basically explains and btfos all arguments against the free market and minarchism)
>When Google met Wikileaks by Julian Assange
>Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
>The Big Short by Michael Lewis
>A History of pi by Petr Beckmann
>The Health Hazards of NOT Giing Nuclear by Petr Beckmann
>>
>>76773721
I'm reading one of the gutenberg books on the northmen. It's the one that isn't a kids book.
>>
>>76774148
now THATS a shitpost

way to take the helm back from the leafs
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>
>>76759713
Currently reading:
Will read this summer:
-Bible
-The Pot Book
-Propaganda by Edward Bernays
-End The Fed by Ron Paul
-Crippled America by Donald Trump
-Art of the deal by Donald Trump
>>
>>76774664
that augustus book is awesome, and it sounds like modern politcs in a way
>>
File: tumblr_mx5nv7JaWZ1rm4mpho1_500.png (222 KB, 500x372) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mx5nv7JaWZ1rm4mpho1_500.png
222 KB, 500x372
>>76759713
Currently finishing a PhD on Luther's Medieval influences.
>Mfw I've read more by one author than almost everyone in this thread, and that counts for several authors.
>Mfw I've read more of Martin Luther's stupid shit in one day than some people have read in their life
>Mfw I've spent 10hrs straight, every day, reading his handwritten letters for nineteen straight days.
>>
>>76774204
which of those ayn rand books is best?

i've only read one so far, and it kind of put me off to picking up another one

>of course it was atlas shrugged
>>
>>76772116
I'd start with as I lay dying, it's fairly short and contains most of the modernist aspects you'd see from other authors and it's considered the most accessible of his books. Don't be scared to sometimes cheat and sparknotes what the fuck is going on though. But there's honestly going to come a point when everything clicks in your head and you're going to say his writing is brilliant and be engrossed, or this writing is brilliant but Jesus fuck authors in the 1930's wrote about the most boring fucking things ever. If you say fuck it and can't take it anymore because the setting is unbearable I'd recommend trying Gene Wolfe's book of the new sun, it's probably the best science fiction ever written. The only reason it isn't rated higher as literature is because the main character treats women like shit and this pisses plebs off
>>
>>76774956
There's a segment in Claudius the God, the sequel to I, Claudius in which Claudius as emperor repeats all the mistakes he witnessed earlier, in which Messalina talks about manipulating markets by manipulating currency.
>>
>>76775019
Do you want to understand her philosophy through examples and read a good book at the same time or do you want to know what it is directly?
>>
>From Aristotle to Darwin and Back Again by Etienne Gilson
10/10

>Rene Girard's Mimetic Theory by Wolfgang Palaver
9/10

>The Sovereignty of the Good
5/10

>Millennial Capitalism and the Culture of Neoliberalism
9/10

Taking a break from serious reading and checking out House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones. Fun, fairy tale-like book but not far into it.
>>
File: 2252829.jpg (39 KB, 262x400) Image search: [Google]
2252829.jpg
39 KB, 262x400
>2008 - First Female US President elected
>9/11/2015 - Islamic terrorists stage a massive multicity nuclear attack on London, Boston, New York (others I can't remember, a few bombs failed)
>Muslims are seen celebrating in the streets in cities all over the world for days after
>October 2015 - President declares "we mustn't succumb to racism", does nothing.
>2016 Election cycle sees the immense rise of the Wake Up! America Party led by candidate Buckman. Wins in a landslide due to the deaths of Liberals in cities.
>With the Royal family and Parliament gone, Prince Harry becomes King of England, begins ejecting Muslims out of the Isles and severs contacts with the EU. "He was far more lenient than President Buckman" - line from book
>Members of the WUA begin assassinating members of Congress, Justice and thousands in Academic institutions. All granted Presidential Pardons.
>US military might doubled and Liberals and Muslims are put in internment camps "For their protection (due to intensive mob violence against Islamocucks)".
>September 11 - President Buckman launches MASSIVE nuclear Holocaust strike on ~100 Islamic cities. Refugees are welcomed into Europe.
>Canada severs ties immediately. Is later Annexed when Muslim terrorists are found trying to sneak bombs into the US. Canadian forces are decimated as the US takes the cities.
>Mexico is annexed later as well, but only after a civil war and a lengthy takeover. "I was years before it was considered anywhere near civilized".
>President Buckman dies peacefully in his sleep in 2063

Great shit. This is just from the Historical archive interlude. The real story is about a Soldier in the American Fascist State 2114, a 9 year old German slave girl in 2114 and diary entries of Petra's great Grandmother in 2003-2020 Germany.
>>
>>76775212
nero also did that. In fact inflation due to currency manipulation is cited by some as a reason for the fall of the roman empire

However that book most astonishing resembalnce to today's politics, in my opinio, are the backstabings, the makeshifts alliances the politicians that cared only for themselves, etc.
>>
>>76774987
didn't he elaborate his theology on saved by faith while shitting
>>
File: viper.jpg (18 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
viper.jpg
18 KB, 300x300
>>76774987
>tumblr

anon, we need to have a talk

http://www.godrules.net/library/luther/208luther2.htm
>taking 190 hours to read 500-1000 (if you count his letters written under other names and personal correspondence) one to two page letters

literally how?

they are dry as fuck, i had to read about 100 of these in college
>>
File: image.png (333 KB, 1264x1364) Image search: [Google]
image.png
333 KB, 1264x1364
>>76774204
>that flag
>recommended reading

Pic related is my recommended reading for you
>>
>>76775503
When was this written? As much as I personally endorse that happening, it honestly sounds kinda like a hit piece on the right wing.
>elect Trump and see what will happen!!
>>
>>76775425
can it be both?

I have a decent understanding of her general philosophies, would like to know more but can't go through another atlas shrugged without committing suicide
>>
>>76759713
>the blank slate
8/10, basically a liberal Jew talking about how science is being hijacked by SJWs, concedes various points to the Right regarding human nature. Gives shout outs to Christina hoff somers, Edmund Burke, And Thomas sowell. A little lazy when it comes to moral philosophy though. Pussies out when it comes to race, though at least concedes the possibility of racial differences.

>science left behind
7/10. debunking of various unscientific bullshit believed in by the left.

>the ethics of ambiguity
?/10. Can't rate it cuz I'm in the middle of it, but it's actually pretty good and insightful so far. Was expecting feminist bullshit.

>drawin's cathedral
7/10. Makes the argument that religion evolved as a cultural adaption for survival, as opposed it to being an outdated vestige. Little dry at parts.

>Napoleon (by Vincent Cronin)
>9/10. Amazing biography of Napoleon that includes intimate details of his life, from sex to religion. Weaves a personal narrative with a history beautifully. Battle scenes get a little repetitive unfortunately, and all the French names were a pain in the ass to remember (I know, my burger is showing.)
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 450x450
>>76776026
Maple Syrup>Kangaroo
New trudeaus of genderposting

>>76776067
Read We The Living. It's set in Soviet Russia.

Read "Racism", "The Cult Of Moral Grayness" and "Collectivized Ethics" from The Virtue Of Selfishness.

Read "Global Balkanization", "Apollo and Dionysus", "Cashing in: The Student Rebellion" and "The Age of Envy" from The Anti-Industrial Revolution.

Read "An Untitled Letter", "Causality versus Duty", "Selfishness Without a Self", "Philosophical Detection", "A Letter To Boris Spassky" and "Faith and Force:Destroyers Of The Modern World" from Philosophy: Who Needs It.

"The Esthetic Vaccuum Of Our Age" from The Romantic Manifesto.

"To Young Scientists" from The Voice Of Reason

Anything you like from "Capitalism: An Unknown Ideal", It mostly deals with special cases and has a couple of chapters on the basics.

If you read even half of this, you'll understand what Objectivism is.
>>
>>76776036

Tom Kratman is ex-military.

I doubt a book with a full on child gang rape scene would get popular among that crowd.
>>
File: 1463926938857.jpg (72 KB, 800x522) Image search: [Google]
1463926938857.jpg
72 KB, 800x522
>>76776026
>>
>>76777649
>damn poo bringing the heat with his based suggestions
I'd add this to the list Sexual Personae: Art and Decadence from Nefertiti to Emily Dickinson
>>
>>76777803
>" Slavery is a part of Islam...Slavery is part of jihad, and jihad will remain as long there is Islam."
>-- Sheikh Saleh Al-Fawzan, author of the religious textbook At-Tawhid

>Demography is destiny. In the 22nd century European deathbed demographics have turned the continent over to the more fertile Moslems. Atheism in Europe has been exterminated. Homosexuals are hanged, stoned or crucified. Such Christians as remain are relegated to dhimmitude, a form of second class citizenship. They are denied arms, denied civil rights, denied a voice, and specially taxed via the Koranic yizya. Their sons are taken as conscripted soldiers while their daughters are subject to the depredations of the continent's new masters.

>In that world, Petra, a German girl sold into prostitution as a slave at the age of nine to pay her family's yizya, dreams of escape. Unlike most girls of the day, Petra can read. And in her only real possession, her grandmother's diary, a diary detailing the fall of European civilization, Petra has learned of a magic place across the sea: America.

Ok yeah this sounds based, thanks for the recommendation anon.
>>
https://archive.org/details/negroesinnegrola00helpiala

10/10

Bitter Harvest - Ian Smith
9/10

Adios America - Ann Coulter
8/10

Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight: An African Childhood - Alexandra Fuller
10/10
>>
File: 0524161836.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
0524161836.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
>Art of The Deal By Donald Trump
10/10 Best Business book ever.
>The Prince By Niccolo Machiavelli
9/10 for Machiavellian classic.
>Heart of Darkness by Jospeh Conrad
8/10 Very Short, good tale. Muh Apocalypse Now.
>Founding Brothers
9/10 Muh America
>1984
10/10 for relation to current day.

High School Student here, attempting to read Right-Wing Classics.
>>
>Everybody jizzing over Art of the Deal

Is it really that good /pol/acks? Can't tell if troll.
>>
I actually have fairly normie-tier beliefs and tastes.
>Last Lecture
Alright, 7/10.
>I Am Malala
I can explain, 6/10.
>>
>>76781189
>I can explain

How funny was it?
>>
>>76759713
The Crisis of Democracy - Trilateral Commission 1976
>>
>>76759713
Tragedy and Hope - Carroll Quigley
>>
File: skullknight.jpg (368 KB, 720x1000) Image search: [Google]
skullknight.jpg
368 KB, 720x1000
>dickriding 1984
Brave New World is far more accurate regarding contemporary life.

The only manga I've ever read is Berserk and that shit's redpill as fuck, figured I'd mention it. Set in the medieval period, life is hard, no one owes you anything, self-determination. Pretty brutal. It's still ongoing but theres 340 some chapters out there. Mangasee website has it in HQ scans.
>>
Gilbert Sinoué "Le dernier pharaon" (The last pharaon) --> novel about Muhammad Ali, so far 6/10
Riccardo Bacchelli, "Il diavolo a Pontelungo" (lit. "The devil at Longbridge")--> a tale about Bakunin in Italy and anarchists. 9/10
Dale Carnegie, "How to win friends and influence people", 10/10
Carlo d'Este "Lo sbarco in Sicilia 1943" (Sicily landing) , extremely well written
A book about body language, 7/10
A book about Italian colonialism, interesting but very badly written (boring).
A book about the war on the desert in 1940-1941, interesting but superficial
An Italian magazine on geopolitics, not read yet
Paolo Buchignani "La rivoluzione in camicia nera" (Revolution in Blackshirts) about revolutionary fascists, very interesting
"Le grande exode 1940", book about the flight of French and Belgian civilians in face of the German advance in 1940, not read yet.
The Quran, interesting.
>>
>>76767037
Greg Chochran's book is good because the implications are many, including that the blank slate is a liar and that humans are continually evolving as all species are and that the Red Queen hypothesis is true.
>>
>>76780267
Easily one of the best business books ever written

buy it
read it
Thread replies: 187
Thread images: 41

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.