[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does this get fixed without government intervention?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 248
Thread images: 37
File: this triggers the libertarian.jpg (993 KB, 1000x664) Image search: [Google]
this triggers the libertarian.jpg
993 KB, 1000x664
>>
>>76714332
A private contractor
>>
>>76714412
paid for by?
>>
>>76714459
whoever wants to fix it

not a complicated question
>>
>>76714332
It doesn't get fixed even with government intervention if my town is any indication
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWximmaAuWw
>>
File: image.jpg (127 KB, 1023x991) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127 KB, 1023x991
>>76714332
>>
There was a pothole in the UK the government never fixed, so a local filled it in.

Then the council came out and UNFILLED it.

Britcucks will defend this.
>>
Import a few Indians
>>
a genius inventor builds cars that hover
>>
>>76714577
That makes me want to own a VW now
>>
Arabs will come and carbomb the road. No road. No need to stress.
>>
>>76714577
I would love to get a pamphlet like that.
>>
Representative Democrat:
"All individuals pay tax to a local government, who is responsible for the upkeep of the roads. The citizens inform the local government of the pothole, and either a crew is dispatched or a private company is engaged to fix it, paid for by taxes."

Libertarian:
"The road will be owned and managed by a private company. This company will charge you a toll each time you use the road. It is in the best interest of the company to fix the pothole, otherwise users of the road will seek alternate transport, equalling lost revenue."

Anarcho-Capitalist:
"Eventually, an individual will get sick of the pothole damaging their car and pay for it to get fixed out of their own pocket."

Communist:
"Citizens assigned to the role of Road Maintenance will fill in the pothole, according to their priority."
>>
>>76714412
/thread
Also, I worked in road maintenance related work before. And yup - it's all outsourced to the private sector.
>>
File: 1455595260383.png (84 KB, 1098x876) Image search: [Google]
1455595260383.png
84 KB, 1098x876
>>76714577
Of course it's fucking portland god I hate this fucking city
>>
>>76714517
But infrastructure costs a fortune to build or fix. Normal people don't have so much money.
>>
Private contractors are private, but their money comes from your tax dollars. Without a government nobody would be willing to donate their money for roads.
>>
>>76714663
>have 5 roads all made by different companies all going to the same place because muh free market competition
>>
File: 1431974245631.png (282 KB, 699x356) Image search: [Google]
1431974245631.png
282 KB, 699x356
>>
>>76714592
god damn, only in cuckland
>>
File: Broken-Road.jpg (26 KB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
Broken-Road.jpg
26 KB, 350x263
There's been a bridge closed for like 3 years here with a detour around because some private company that the government contracted abandoned the project.

#JustLouisianaThings
>>
File: 1443357133229.jpg (16 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
1443357133229.jpg
16 KB, 400x388
>>76714756
"son, how would you like to go to school today? Via American Express St or Bank of America Blvd?"
>>
>>76714332
you get yourself a Landcruiser you are finally able to afford out of your gross income
>>
I'm between libertarian and conservative. No need to get extreme. I believe tax dollars going to roads and even public schools for people with literally no money is not a big deak. Are you libertarians going to let poor families keep their kid at home all day because they can't afford to go to school? Shame on you.
>>
>>76714332
Dude that gets fixed like fucking overnight by private contractors.

With glorious government intervention it won't get fixed until at least a fucking year from now if ever.
>>
File: tZUNMPw.png (68 KB, 899x256) Image search: [Google]
tZUNMPw.png
68 KB, 899x256
>>76714332
There's a guy who spraypaints giant penises over potholes so the government has to send someone out. He's called Wanksey.

With no government it'd still work as some prudish cunt would rather fix it than have to stare at a giant phallus when they're stuck in a traffic jam.
>>
Fix it yourself you pussy. This isn't rocket medicine.
>>
>>76714577
4 x 0.03% is nothing.

I hate the stupid.
>>
>>76714842
>giving money to the automotive jew
>not building your own car
>>
>>76714517
But everyone will want someone else to pay for it, and everyone will wait until someone else does
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 394x373) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 394x373
>>76714332
It won't
>>
File: 5420709_1437852754.3901.jpg (105 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
5420709_1437852754.3901.jpg
105 KB, 600x400
like this
>>
>>76714459
Private government.
inb4 > elected by?
>>
if we don't have a state who will sell the roads to private foreign companies?

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-07-15-u.s.-highways_x.htm
>>
>>76714459
The local warlord that wants his logistics running smoothly.
>>
I think extremes on both sides of political spectrum are dumb. Communism would not work, libertarianism is way to ideology focused and not practical. There are maybe 1% of people that think roads would be built on their own. Private contractors receive your tax dollars for those roads. If you believe taxation is theft then fine, but if you use a road you are stealing a public service that you do not want to pay for. Absolutes are fucking retarded. Libertarians want to open borders so more Mexicans come to work and eventually get citizenship. Fine, but when they all vote democrat your libertarian government is voted out in two seconds.
>>
>>76715398
>Libertarians want to open borders so more Mexicans come to work and eventually get citizenship
Gary Johnson wants to open borders, not libertarians. This is why he will be getting no support from the majority of libertarian voters.
>>
File: vM1wT.jpg (55 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
vM1wT.jpg
55 KB, 720x540
Fill it with nails.
>>
File: libertarian-roads.jpg (89 KB, 650x450) Image search: [Google]
libertarian-roads.jpg
89 KB, 650x450
>>76714332
>live in libertarian utopia
>wake up
>no internet because DARPA was never funded and thus it wasn't developed
>eat breakfast
>hope I don't die of heavy metal poisoning because there are no regulations regarding food safety
>walk outside
>get in my car
>hope I don't get hit because there's no regulations requiring seat belts or airbags
>driving along the dirt road to my job at megacorp because there are no roads
>work for 9 hours with a 15 minute break to eat my hopefully toxin free food
>drive home from work to greet my daughter
>who's completely illiterate and can't go to school because there are no public schools and I can't afford private school
>just as I pull up to the house, a guy in a van with free ice cream snatches my daughter and drives off in a cloud of dust
>call the private police company
>"please note you will be charged $19.95 for this call"
>they give me a quote for $1000 to investigate my daughter being kidnapped
>only make $800 a month because no labor laws
>politely decline
>walk home
>get stabbed for my shoes
>nearby private police contractor can't interfere because I don't have coverage with their company
>can't afford to go to the hospital, but then I'd probably die there anyway because there's no requirements for hospitals to practice proper sanitation
>megacorp inherits my house because that's what my employment contract said in the fine print
>reflect on how fantastic life is without that oppressive government
>>
>>76714332
MM
>>
>>76714332

my familiy is in the road business since 1888. you hire them they will fix it.
>>
>>76714663
Man---anarcho-capitalism is the creed of buck-passing ne'r-do-wells, eh?
>>
>>76714332
>How does this get fixed without government intervention?
someone gets fed up with the government never fixing it, fills it with gravel, and then gets fined for vandalism
>>
File: big-government.jpg (47 KB, 500x371) Image search: [Google]
big-government.jpg
47 KB, 500x371
>>76714332

>how does I fix streets without my daddy govt

Look here fagget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EayqhgYjlig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exRR8YCF4mw
>>
>>76714577
why would you go to kinko's, waste actual hard cash printing this out in full color then go around finding VW's to stick it onto
>>
In a libertarian society who the FUCK would pay the millions of dollars to thr private contractors to build things like the golden gate bridge. Oh, and do you lolbertaruans hate NASA too?
>>
>>76714332
https://youtu.be/PFxFRqNmXKg
>>
>>76715652
Perfect.
>>
>>76715652
>get outdone by shitposting leafs
>desperate to reclaim your throne

You're getting there.
>>
toll charges on roads
>>
>>76715944
like we already have?
>>
>>76715912
no matter who wins, we lose
>>
>>76714517

Free riding ain't free.

Libertarians have no explanation for externalities and the free-rider problem. No one has an incentive to fit the pothole if they think someone else should/could do it.

They could pay to fix the pothole and get the utility from the fixed road, but everyone else reaps the benefit without needing to pay anything.

If it costs $1000 to fix and there are 1000 people with budgets of say $2000.

The utility of getting the road fixed is 5000 and not fixed is 0.

If the utility function is 2(budget - reservation price) + 3000(fixed = 1, not fixed = 0):

Indifference condition: U(Have fixed road) = U(Do not fix road)

Utility of not having road = 4,000.

Reservation price = 2,000 - (4,000 - 3,000(1))/2
= 1,500

So, if one libertard wants to fix the pothole he has to shell out $1000 (which is below his reservation price. His utility is:

2(2,000 - 1,000) + 3,000(1) = 5,000

Those who didn't need to pay still benefit from the bridge and their utility is:

2(2,000 - 0) + 3,000(1) = 7,000

Clearly they reap far more benefits at zero costs. In reality all individuals will be of the opinion that it issn't fair that they should pay the cost of the pothole repair because the other 999 people are free-riders getting the benefits at no cost. In this instance, even if the person who pays gets more utility they will likely not pay anyways because they don't like the idea of free-riders. Therefore if the government intervenes and sets a tax of 1,000, everyone only needs to pay $1 and they get a utility of 6,998, obviously a better outcome.

Conclusion: libertarians BTFO into oblivion. I hope I didn't fudge the calculations.

T.economics student.
>>
File: you call that a shitpost.jpg (70 KB, 640x472) Image search: [Google]
you call that a shitpost.jpg
70 KB, 640x472
>>76715652
But all you did was describe Australia...
>>
>>76715548
except open borders is literally what libertarianism is.
>>
Libertarians hate roads, bridges, traffic lights, national parks and the troops. I am against most foreign engagements too, but what the FUCK are you supposed to do if muslims get a nuclear weapon?
>>
>>76715986
simple

we punish the free riders if they don't go along with our schemes
>>
>>76715977

not in the UK and if you have toll charges in the US as well as paying road taxes then you truly are cucked
>>
>>76715572
Kek, fat happy and giving no fucks about being busted
>>
>>76716003

not it isn't read up on american isolationism you stupid cunt
>>
Here's the basic anarcho-capitalist position on roads:

If there wasn't a central government, we certainly wouldn't have as many roads as we have today. Many, many roads are underused. They exist because the government can afford to build them and people\developers\industry WANT them, but see it's like the NBN in Australia, every nerd and his dog WANTED higher internet speeds, what they disregard are the costs (financial and social) of making the entire country sign up to this system.

Roads could still be build, but they'd be privately owned, multiple owners of property used to and already do work together to negotiate setting aside land for various purposes (retail walking spaces, parks, etc).

As technology stands right now, you can easily require road users to buy a receiver which monitors how often they use roads and where, this could then be used to charge them for road use and direct funds to roads that get the most wear, etc.
>>
>>76715652
Underrated
>>
>>76716039
>we punish the free riders if they don't go along with our schemes

so, the solution is to have a state...
>>
>>76714332
I live in a district with private houses, not many people live here, so roads are basically our responsibility.
We have ""fixed"" the road a few times, few households chipped in. Can't hire someone to make a decent one for fucking years.
Why? It's a massive investment, and even if I can get like 6 houses of total 10 on my street to chip in, others refuse or simply don't have the money.
>>
>>76716082
>If there wasn't a central government, we certainly wouldn't have as many roads as we have today.
what a crock of shit
>>
>>76714332
Use white privilege
>>
>>76716096
that's the joke
>>
>>76714577
>mfw i own one of these and love it
cheap as fuck to run too
>>
>>76716003
Except it's not. You're confusing anarchists with libertarians.
>>
>>76716072
>muh special snowflake ideology

ever major libertarian party is pro immigration, you are supporting a cuck ideology
>>
Humans are tribal in nature. They elect a memberof their tribe to be the leader. Libertarianism goes against human nature like Communism.
>>
>The people driving over that bump daily will get a shovel and lay cement over it.
>By comes an asfalt salesman and he will offer to fix the road in exchange for money/other goods
>Locals driving over that bump daily talk to each other and come to an agreement to contribute together to pay the asfalt salesman

If it gets never fixed, then so what. Let the lazy people fuck up their car for it.
>>
>>76715652
Pure libertarianism in a nutshell.
>>
>>76714577
This makes me want to not sell my TDI even more.
>>
File: cross-section-road.jpg (71 KB, 550x384) Image search: [Google]
cross-section-road.jpg
71 KB, 550x384
>>76716720
I hate this "lay cement over it" meme

roads are extremely complex, half the time there's water and sewage and electric cables running under there, you can't just throw some cement on there and call it a day
>>
>>76715944
Tolls go up yet the bridges in my country are still falling apart. Hm.
>>
>le government will fix everything
>libertarianism means no borders, no government
Why is /pol/ so retarded nowadays ?
You fucking stormfags/commies need to fuck off.
>>
>>76714332
It wont, but libertarians are delusional enough to think the free market will fix it. People will only work for their resources and none of the earned money will be spend on things not directly involving you.
>>
>>76716815
Do you even know who I am Puerto Ruerto?
>>
>>76716346

>libertarian ideology
>libertarian parties
>>
>>76715912
Leafs don't shitpost, they're just shitty posters.
>>
>>76717035

What positive role did the government play in governing the internet as it emerged? Ignoring the physical infrastructure which is obviously highly regulated by various governments, I'm talking about the 'internet' itself.

>People who wanted the internet signed up voluntarily
>Created their own webpages, some people created webpages that became major hubs
>Communities developed, some used crowdfunding
>Various people created software to make things easier (various chat clients, different browsers, etc)

All of this was done freely without a centralised authority to regulate things.
>>
>>76717360
>Australians buttblasted that leafposters have TRUMPED down under posters eternally and forever
>>
You will run into a toll booth every five minutes. But seriously, there HAS to be an ideology that wants to reduce the size of government to a small level but not libertarian level. I even have no issue with some taxes going towards peole born with severe disabilities or something like schizophrenia. Without the state they would starve.

Best combo is a highly free market society but with some common sense projects funded by gov like roads, bridges, some public schools for the poor and even libraries and national parks and even NASA and some military spending.
>>
>>76714332
people here tried to fix it themselves, they got sued
>>
>>76717471
>Without the state they would starve.
And this is bad why?
>>
>>76716082
>but see it's like the NBN in Australia, every nerd and his dog WANTED higher internet speeds
But instead all we get are repaired copper wires rather than fucking fibre that was originally planned.
>>
File: lupin laughin.jpg (54 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
lupin laughin.jpg
54 KB, 1280x720
>>76714577
>Put 1/20 parts Zyklon B in the fuel tank
>Hook up the exhaust pipe to the local synagogue's windows
>No AC in synagogues because it costs too many shekels
>This was the Reich's plan all along
>>
>>76715652
>hope I don't get hit because there's no regulations requiring seat belts or airbags
Someone didn't think of my safety, and neither will I when I go buy a car with no seat belt or airbags.

>who's completely illiterate and can't go to school because there are no public schools and I can't afford private school
I'm slum tier and can't afford to buy books for my children nor have the time to teach them.

>just as I pull up to the house, a guy in a van with free ice cream snatches my daughter
I'm either so poor or so stupid that I haven't bought a gun to protect myself/my family with.

>only make $800 a month because no labor laws
I haven't bothered acquiring any work skills and I'm u such a cuck that my boss won't even look me in the eyes.

>get stabbed for my shoes
Again I don't own a gun and I live in a shittiest part of my city.

You're a subhuman defeatist and the only reason you're alive is so the government can keep on taking advantage of you.
>>
>>76715986
What class(es) do I need to study to get this information?
>>
File: SinkholeActual.jpg (34 KB, 670x379) Image search: [Google]
SinkholeActual.jpg
34 KB, 670x379
We had a massive Sinkhole in Ottawa recently. Who fixes this with their own money in a libertarian society?
>>
>>76714332
How does it not get fixed with government intervention?
>>
>>76717791
whoever wants to get across

or they could go around
>>
File: images-2.jpg (11 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
images-2.jpg
11 KB, 443x332
>>76714332
Juste un trou d'eau
>>
>>76717791
In a libertarian society, an abomination like that would never be built in the first place.
>>
>>76717791

I had a leaking pipe in the apartment I rent recently. Take a guess who fixed it? A plumber, paid for by the owner.

The same principle would apply in a libertarian society. The interested parties would have to pay to repair it, or leave it be.

So probably the businesses surrounding the road would want access to be available to their buildings, so they'd negotiate to share the cost.
>>
>>76717688
>>just as I pull up to the house, a guy in a van with free ice cream snatches my daughter
>I'm either so poor or so stupid that I haven't bought a gun to protect myself/my family with.
A gun's not really going to help you with an abduction unless you're sitting on your front porch with a gun in hand all day like an autist.
>>
>>76717411
Yea sure thing senpai
>>
>>76717735

Microeconomics 300.

Externalities and public goods are very interesting topics.
>>
>>76716815
A libertarian society would stop being libertarian quite fast anyway, because people will always form groups and unite those groups into larger entities. Because if they don't, they will be forced to do anything the neighbouring state that has formed into a stronger group, tells them to do.

The whole libertarian idea is a funny meme, but it is a fun topic to discuss. And I think it's good to have countries that are more libertarian than others so we can compare ours to theirs.
>>
>>76718058

The police usually only respond to a crime well after it's taken place and often make the situation worse, and often violate the rights of many people in attempting to 'rectify' that situation. The police in Australia for example are now completely dominated by this 'domestic violence' rationalisation\ideology, they're regularly invading people's homes, arresting men the moment the man's wife makes a single phonecall\accusation, and imposing intervention orders on men. It's a sexist system and it's violating regular people's most basic rights all the time. The police use the threat of violent force and imprisonment on men who don't deserve it every single day.

Now there IS the issue of who has a 'monopoly on the just use of force', and I feel like some organisation of some type will always emerge as the monopoly, so it's better to have an established monopoly that's accessible and somewhat accountable, but the idea that the police are important in maintaining law and order and protecting children is pretty questionable.
>>
>>76714332
>What is toll roads?
>>
>>76714459
THE TAX PAYER
>>
>>76714756
1. This happens in europe already
2. Because of technology you can pay as you go and therefore won't have to wait for toll boots.

Americucks that claimed to be capitalists BTFO. You shame your own founding fathers!
>>
>>76718409
Shut the fuck up you anarchist cuck, I was stating a gun won't do shit in an abduction.
God damn you ancaps are autistic.
>>
>>76714332

Molyneux will fix these for us!
>>
>>76716346
What are you? 14 years old? Cognitively impaired? Everytime an argument is made, you refer back to your sentiment. Libertarian isolationism is where america was founded on and the best possible ideology.
>>
>>76718638
>as I pull up to the house
>AS I PULL UP TO THE HOUSE

Meaning you're right there, shoot the fucking guy
>>
>>76718638

The gun might not directly do anything, but it acts as a deterrant which is more important.
>>
>>76718058
In that situation you are right outside your house and you see the abduction taking place, giving you a clear shot at the abductor. Also you can train your kid to shoot and let her carry a 9mm on her waist. You can also gate your yard and get a big ass caucasian ovcharka, that has is very protective of it's family and reliable, unlike a reckless pitbull.

You know in a libertarian society nobodys gonna give you shit when your daughter guns down an attacked on your property or your caucasian ovcharka rips the attackers throat open on your yard.
>>
>>76714332
Government is just a collection of people.

So a group of people would fix it similarly.
>>
>>76718463
>having tolls on every little street
>keeping this up doubles the cost of road maintenance
libertarian logic
>>
>>76715986
>free riding
>libertarianism

Lad . . .
>>
File: 1396459895225.png (31 KB, 302x323) Image search: [Google]
1396459895225.png
31 KB, 302x323
>>76714332
>mfw there are poor regions in my country that they need to fix it ourself
>mfw the govrement punish it if you do it yourself
>>
>>76714804
>Volvo (sweden) literally supporting ISIS

POTTERY!
>>
>>76718700
Do you have a gun in hand? Does the abduction take longer than 5 seconds?
If not you aren't getting a shot off at anything other than the van, but hey, maybe you'll hit him through the windows.

>>76718744
As silly as it sounds the kid having a gun would be the best bet, assuming there aren't multiple people with at least one overpowering the kid.
>>
>>76718825
>what is the difference between an-cap and libertarianism?
Spain as always being a retarded shit hole, also, pay debnts
>>
>>76718865

What?

If one person who needs to use the road (or any public good) has to pay to fix it, everyone else gets to benefit from it at zero cost. That is unless the libertarian tries to enforce property rights/exclude people from using the road unless they pay them a fee.

Not exactly an efficient outcome is it?
>>
>>76714332
People will volunteer. I will even go out and advocate for it, teaching people that it's right. Of course I won't do it myself because I'm excempt from my own rules

- t. leftist
>>
>>76714829
If you took Bank of America Blvd and your electronic toll tag was short of funds for one toll, BoA would charge you a fee for that one toll, and then the previous 10+ tolls that you had already had funds subtracted from your account for, because they were technically "pending".

http://bankofamericaoverdraftsettlement.com/en

Horrible kike company.
>>
File: Ayn Rand.jpg (88 KB, 700x436) Image search: [Google]
Ayn Rand.jpg
88 KB, 700x436
>>76714332
Here's a crazy idea, what if we didn't fix it? What if people invented cars with better tires and shock absorbers? The market can come up with all kinds of solutions to this problem and the best thing about it is that YOU as an individual get to choose which solution works best for you.
>>
My buddy filled a pothole in front of his house and received a fine from the fucking government that was too lazy and incompetent to fix it in the first place.
>>
>>76714332
The same way it gets fixed with government intervention, a private company who are specialists at fixing roads, fixes the road. Governments don't fix roads they just pay private companies to fix roads.

>>76714459
>paid for by?
Whoever owns the road.

Roads have always been a shit way to try and attack libertarian views because we already have privately owned and paid for roads all over the world and they work just as well if not better than publicly owned roads.
>>
>>76718946
Also gotta think this from the abductors perpective.
Usually abductions happen either because they want a ransom or some sick fuck wants to lock the kid up in their basement and rape them till jesus comes back.

In the ransom case the abductor weights the pros and cons (how rich you are, what kind of resistance will they face etc). We were talking about some poorfag, so I don't think any abductor can expect to get money.

I think a sick fuck abductor is more likely. Usually those aren't as professional and theres a much better chance to fight back. Just a big mean dog will stop most from trying, not to mention a 9mm wielding kid. Of course some abductions will happen from time to time and that's unfortunate, one just needs to do their best to prevent them.
>>
I live out in the country, we have about ten or so different families that live on a two mile long dirt road. We all mutually help to make sure road doesn't get potholes, and taking turns smoothening it out with tractors.
>>
>>76719835
lol are you guys idiots ? Why aren't you calling the government to fix it ?
>>
>>76715774
wow what helpful and nice samaritans, good thing those people exist everywhere and are in great numbers
>>
>>76715986
You're assuming the road isn't privately owned. You're also assuming that fixing the pothole is the only solution to the problems that the pothole causes. You're presenting a Strawman, FEEL ASHAMED!
>>
>>76714811
it looks like there needs to be some serious drainage work before a road that won't wash away can be built
>>
>>76714332
you should see Belgium, shit like that just doesn't get fixed at all. so called "first" world country and our roads are worse than african dirtpaths
>>
>>76715986
There's no free riding problem with roads because roads aren't necessarily a public service as you can control who enters and exists a private road and we do this already with toll roads.

Even then externalities and free rider problems are ones which have been solved all over the world, look at public radio for example, you cannot control who receives it but what you can do is monetize it by adding in adverts. So even if we were to agree that roads are impossible to control (and we know they're not) one possible source of revenue is adding roads side adverts along them to pay for their maintenance and then charge businesses to advertise on the road.

A lot of these types of arguments are what are known as arguments from ignorance, they take the form of "I don't know how i'd fix X, so X is unfixable" where as the beauty of the free market is that it's full of people a lot smarter than you an have an infinite amount of ideas and through capitalism and free trade all the good ideas float to the top and the bad ones sink allowing these sorts of problems to be fixed in the most efficient way possible.
>>
>>76714332
>implying there would be roads in the first place without government intervention
>>
>>76714332
It's a portal to a different dimension,dive in there skippy.
>>
>>76714708
who do you think pays for it now?
>>
>>76715986
>it's impossible for a bunch of people to pool a little bit of money together to fix a pothole
>fundraising exists

pick one
>>
>>76714332
hahahahahha good one, silly!

The road does not get built in the first place.
>>
>>76716346
Why is legal immgration bad?
>>
>>76714332
>implying they get fixed by the government
>>
>>76720616
Legality has nothing to do with whether or not something is good.
>>
>>76714332

There are already roads in the US that are maintained without government intervention (because the government is too cheap or refuses to). They typically enact what is called, "The Law of the West," and you can look that shit up if you want.

>Thinking the government cares about you and your shitty potholes getting fixed.
Shit, there's plenty of cities that cite them as a problem already.
>>
>>76714332
Private roadways can afford to fix themselves. Obviously nobody is going to go about fixing a public road, just as nobody is going to pay money for treatment received in a single payer system. Libertarianism has its problems (see national defense) but fixing a pothole isn't one of them.
>>
>>76715652
Free ice cream though.
>>
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 201x251) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 201x251
>>76714332
Right wing deathsquads putting niggers to work
>>
File: 1460837185173.png (120 KB, 419x263) Image search: [Google]
1460837185173.png
120 KB, 419x263
>>76714332
A wonderful dictatorship and happy slaves will fix it. No government needed :^)

>t. translesbianfeline commie who feels the bern
>>
>>76715652
This post is honestly more anti-capitalist than anti-libertarian.
>>
>>76715857
Nah, they had their mom take it to the office with her and used the color copier there.
>>
File: invaders-march-into-Europe.jpg (100 KB, 800x451) Image search: [Google]
invaders-march-into-Europe.jpg
100 KB, 800x451
How does THIS get fixed without government intervention?
>>
>>76718638
Well done anon, you really refuted that guys point! That'll teach him to bring up valid ideas around the likes you!
>>
>>76715154
Absolutely a waste of time. Without the sealant and asphalt glue underneath it will not stick. Once the rain hits it will turn into rubble. Not to mention that they don't even have a construction grade roller. Flattening it with their feet does nothing but make the top flat. Once a 4000lbs car rolls over it, it will just become compressed and create another pothole with the wheels turning it up and shooting the asphalt out the back.

t. Roadway Construction Engineer
>>
>>76714811
the free market will fix it
>>
>>76718825
The difference is that you get to choose which road you drive on or if you drive at all. You can't choose not to pay your taxes.
>>
>>76721041
Because without government intervention it wouldn't exist. Without government intervention ISIS would have killed anyone trying to escape, thus we wouldn't have a fucking migrant crisis on our hands. Not to mention without western intervention in Syria, the country wouldn't be destabilized.
>>
>>76714332
if its in a high end neighborhood then the block association sort it out
>>
>>76715154
I don't see any smoke.
>>
>>76721570
thats a form of local government
>>
>>76721041
starvation
>>
>>76721625
its not much of a government. by your logic any 2 or more parties that agree to something is a form of government.
>>
>>76720690
>Legality has nothing to do with whether or not something is good.

Are you high? Legality is a huge factor in morality considering it determines whether the outcomes of your decision are good or bad.
>>
>>76715652
>Anarcho-capitalism = Libertarianism
>>
anyone who really hates driving over that pothole. if the road is between 2 factories owned by the same company then i guess the company pays for it if they are concerned.
>>
>>76714332
Well, my town had a huge ass pothole once, and the city kept getting complaints but it wasn't getting fixed. So my dad and his friend spent money on the concrete necessary and filled the hole in themselves. Well, when the city found out they did this, they actually sued my father and his friend because that job was supposed to be done by public sector workers.
So, to answer your question OP, people will pool money together once they get agitated enough about a problem the government can but won't fix.
Fuck the government.
>>
>>76721938
I think the difference is that Libertarians believe that some from of government is necessary in order to maintain a functioning society
>>
>>76714517
>>76714459
>>76714412
IDIOTS! IF PRIVATE CONTRACTORS MADE MONEY FROM FIXING ROADS, THEY WOULD GO AROUND AT NIGHT CREATING POTHOLES
>>
>>76722221
it takes resources to make said potholes in the first place. why would they go around creating potholes on the off chance that their company gets chosen to fix them?
>>
>>76722307
Because the cost of buying one jackhammer is peanuts compared to the tens of thousands they could make from making and fixing potholes using said jackhammer.

It's the same reason that firefighters aren't private contractors, because they would go around burning down houses (that actually used to happen in ancient Rome).
>>
>>76717374
They could only build the internet because the state created an environment where they are protected to do so. Without government people will make small groups to survive while nothing gets created.
>>
>>76715986
NOT.
AN.
ARGUMENT.
>>
>>76722146
Anarcho-Capitalists want no government.
Libertarians want as small a goverment as possible to keep things running and to prevent the country from falling into anarchy.
>>
Some roads will have to be privatised and tolled to go through
>>
I don't get why THIS is the argument against libertarians

What about war? Space travel? Crime?
>>
>>76722482
and what happens when the owner of the road catches you and then shoots you?

no point since there is no guarantee that the person(s) who made the hole will get the contract to fix it.
>>
>>76714811
>There's been a bridge closed for like 3 years here with a detour around because some private company that the government contracted abandoned the project.

Roads are always fixed by a private company. The government doesn't have a crew out there fixing roads.
>>
File: 1404163787980.jpg (304 KB, 1016x970) Image search: [Google]
1404163787980.jpg
304 KB, 1016x970
>>76714332
MUH ROADS!
>>
>>76722482
Every business gets its customers by fixing a problem. Literally every one. Some problems are natural (my hair is too long so I go to a barber). Others are caused by society or certain individuals (I want security from burglars). If law and order is present in a society, then the security company will not burglarize homes to create additional demand for their business because the cost of doing so is much greater than the additional demand generated. You argument is irrelevant in any society where crime is effectively fought by police (Which libertarians may or may not agree with)
>>
>>76714332
>implying the Australian government would fill a traditional aboriginal sleeping hole.
>>
>>76714332
the owner of the road uses toll money to fix it.
>>
>>76722721
Those are easy, the government fails most spectacularly in each. Roads people use daily and there are few private examples.

Any explanation is followed with endless questioning "What about tolls? What about maintenance? What about free riders?" and so on, as if libertarians must be experts in every field they want the government out of, but the government need not be held to account for anything.
>>
>>76714577
>>76716217
>>76716797

The question is, do you actually get the advertised 42 mpg?
>>
>>76722221
Wrong, they dont need jackhammers, nor do they need to creep at night. The very same companies that are responsible for fixing the roads are usually owned by a person or conglomerate that salts the everloving fuck out of them in winter.
>>
File: 5150111_orig[1].jpg (193 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
5150111_orig[1].jpg
193 KB, 425x282
>>
>>76723270
I think most people on this board agree that the government should not involve itself in the economy unless there is a genuine reason to do so. Free riders and conflict of interest are reasons for the government to solve a problem instead of the free market. Until you can solve these problems in specific fields, government interference is justified in these fields, and results in the least broken system.
>>
>>76715154
>>
You aren't getting away that easy Libertarians.
You still have to explain your naked fat man and your Harry Potter fan club before you move on to big boy politics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb8cErokGFs
>>
>>76723558

By the interested party crying
>>
File: 1454303654776.png (217 KB, 501x648) Image search: [Google]
1454303654776.png
217 KB, 501x648
>>76714332
force our nigger slaves to fix the roads obviously
>>
>>76722887
That's the point. Police aren't private contractors, they're paid with taxpayer funds, from the *government*.

And the reason that's done is because otherwise police would be paid dependent on how much crime they solved, and then they would create crime.

>>76722750
>the owner of the road catches you and then shoots you?
So in this Libertarian world owners of roads are constantly surveying/hiring people to survey their roads, and are constantly ready to shoot people on sight.

I knew LEAFposters were bad, but this is a whole new level, you sound like weedman himself. Think of how big some roads can be and the logistics of putting armed patrolmen on your road.

Also, there probably *would* be a guarantee you get the contract because with no government to break up the monopolistic behaviour of your business you would have your monopoly as you can out-perform any competitors in fixing roads.
>>
File: Spirit_Breaker.png (54 KB, 256x144) Image search: [Google]
Spirit_Breaker.png
54 KB, 256x144
>>76715154
endurance run
>>
>>76723776
Are you trying to imply a correlation without evidence?
>>
File: Welcome.jpg (2 KB, 107x125) Image search: [Google]
Welcome.jpg
2 KB, 107x125
>>76723971
I was wondering when the Dota memes would start showing up
>>
File: It's still breathing.png (706 KB, 1275x715) Image search: [Google]
It's still breathing.png
706 KB, 1275x715
>>76723827
Stop
>>
>>76723839
if im wealthy enough to own miles of road then i can probably afford my own security force.
>people are going to waste resources putting holes in roads in hopes that they have the lowest bid to fix said roads.

>>76722482
>service costs more than a tool which must mean that the service is more profitable
>>
>>76723490
>salting roads
I don;t get it? Due to snow? It doesn;t really snow much in Australia
Does salting create potholes?
>>
>>76723839
I'm not a libertarian, you completely ignored my post. I support the current system of policing, but acknowledge that roads could be handled by the free market because toll roads are rival and excludable, making it a private good. Policing is meant to be given equally to all under the law, Making it nonexcludable. This means that the government must provide public police services to ensure access amongst all individuals.
>>
>>76723839
Why would you hire patrolmen when you could just install cameras? On top of that, you could just offer up a reward for any civilian who can prove they caught someone defacing your road.
>>
>>76714332
considering the govenmwnt doesnt fix them i dont know
>>
>>76715857
trust fund's a hell of a drug
>>
>>76724194
doesn;t matter if you're wealthy or not, it would be a drain on your savings, a waste of money, *unprofitable*.

Like I said, people would definitely put holes in roads with tools (next to zero resources required really) in order to make a profit
>>
>>76723713
Except government has not solved the problem of its own free riders nor its own conflict of interest.

You hold private individuals and government to different standards. Why should government get the benefit of the doubt?
>>
>>76720950
what office would that even be? the dept of nigger coddling?
>>
File: 1458512274241.png (21 KB, 390x470) Image search: [Google]
1458512274241.png
21 KB, 390x470
>>76714332
>entire political ideology
>completely BLOWN THE FUCK OUT by a simple pothole
>>
File: 1465432070103.jpg (205 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1465432070103.jpg
205 KB, 1920x1080
needing roads not flying to your destination in your gold plated jetpack
>>
>>76724279
>toll roads

yeah true, but not all roads are toll roads, otherwise imagine the cost of driving
>>
>>76724386
government already relies on private contractors to fix their roads. please tell me more about all those stories in the media of people getting caught fucking up roads so their bosses company can make more money.
>>
File: alex-jones-crazy-eye.jpg (47 KB, 600x343) Image search: [Google]
alex-jones-crazy-eye.jpg
47 KB, 600x343
>>76714332
>Potholes
This triggers the Denverite. Not even a dudeweedlmao joke - our roads are fucked.
>>
>>76714332
drive a 4x4 like you would in most countries with minimal govt.
>>
>>76724452
Indeed, I'm surprised there aren't more libertarians out there considering how many potholes there are on public roads.
>>
>>76724457
The cost of driving is currently paid for by taxes. Toll roads would merely shift the cost to the consumer rather than the tax payer, not impose a new cost on driving.
>>
>>76724326
cameras still cost money, and people can destroy cameras (especially if they are on a pole next to the road)

also,
>hey anyone catch that criminal defacing my road?
>no i was busy living my own life at my paid job which earns me money, not patrolling your stupidass road looking for people creating potholes
>>
>>76714577
>and was founded by nazis

Now I love my Polo even more
>>
File: _88097261_libertarian_paradise.jpg (53 KB, 624x351) Image search: [Google]
_88097261_libertarian_paradise.jpg
53 KB, 624x351
>Lolbertarian utopia
seriously you know you are fucked when even socialism and communism are more viable
>>
>>76714459
government is just the middle man, handing your money to the private contractor.. is it so difficult to understand that people can give it to your contractor themselves?
>>
>>76714332
Thing is, government fixing roads is not intervention, it's government doing it's job.
>>
>>76714663
False for Libertarian and an-cap.

I'd think the tractor trailers and bus companies that damage and use the roads most would pay an annuity to ensure the roads are in good working order. You wouldn't have to pay for anything, toll or otherwise, in most circumstances.

For local roads that connect to your community, it'd be managed by an organization like a condo association where you delegate responsibility for a fraction of the cost we pay now.
>>
>>76724738
>someone is going to exert additional resources to find and trash all cameras and then jackhammer holes in the road without getting shot in hopes that their contract bid is small enough to get chosen by the guy who owns the road.

"hey my camera caught a truck with your company logo on it defacing my property. would you like a contract to fix it?".
>>
>>76724866
pic unrelated, that's a statist hell--hole. thanks to government intervention. Belgium without a government is more what we're thinking, but you know... whatever floats your boat
>>
>>76724454
kek

>>76724594
true, but not really.
what would stop road owners from jacking up prices to hundreds of dollars to cross the only bridge in town over a river, or some other important road (an inelastic good)
if every road was a toll road it would be a total disaster, much higher prices than taxes devoted to roads

>>76724502
you don't know about it because they're not getting caught.
also this doesn;t happen very often because the contractors are at least associated with government and also receive more money from constructing roads than fixing them
>>
>>76714663
Libertarian:
Every single road becomes a toll road
>>
File: inside_work_5.jpg (87 KB, 720x474) Image search: [Google]
inside_work_5.jpg
87 KB, 720x474
The road fairy, obviously

http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/n0524-road-fairy-repairs-potholes-in-her-city-shaming-the-city-authorities/
>>
>>76725089
>without getting shot
I thought you were offering a reward for the sighting, or are you returning to your patrolmen idea?

>my camera caught a truck with your company logo on it
no one would be stupid enough to go there with their truck and its logo
if the road owner refused the fixers offer, who would then fix the road, could they not raise prices to a similar effect
>>
>>76724738
>cameras still cost money
Okay, and?

>people can destroy cameras (especially if they are on a pole next to the road)
So how about you charge them for it? Obviously there are other cameras around plus the one that they destroyed that will have video evidence of them doing so.

>>hey anyone catch that criminal defacing my road?
>>no
Do you have any idea how many people use roads? Maybe it's a different story for you in the third world, but here you can't go anywhere near a mainland road without coming across a car for more than a minute. If some rogue private contractor decides to take a jackhammer to your property, it's pretty much a guarentee someone will cross him.
> i was busy living my own life at my paid job which earns me money, not patrolling your stupidass road looking for people creating potholes
Earning money at a job and earning money elsewhere are not mutually exclusive, you dumb dingo fucker. All you'd have to do is have a dash cam, send the video to the owner on your lunch break and have him deposit the reward in your bank account without you hardly having to lift a finger. There's no incentive to "patrol" the roads, either. It's a preventive measure, you witless faggot.
>>
>>76725403
>>76725239
>people are going to exert effort and resources creating work they might not get paid to fix in an economic system where the lowest bidder often wins

its like simple logic goes out the window when you are trying to prove your questionable views
>>
File: 191t1ccxvwzx6png.png (270 KB, 636x398) Image search: [Google]
191t1ccxvwzx6png.png
270 KB, 636x398
>>76714332
>>
>>76725403
There are IDs on this board, idiot.
>>
>>76725239
Natural monopolies do exist in certain situations, but they always seek to maximize profit. If they raise prices too high, people will simply stop using their road or new roads will be built by other individuals. No successful company will raise prices to an intolerable level because their demand will lower significantly. Again I don't think a libertarian system would be perfect, but I don't think the current system is perfect. Both have their benefits and drawbacks, but to say that a monopolistic toll road would raise prices to some insane number is just unrealistic and not founded in economics.
>>
File: 51662P8VMQL.jpg (59 KB, 358x500) Image search: [Google]
51662P8VMQL.jpg
59 KB, 358x500
its like no one has seen land of the dead before
>>
>>76714332
A man fixes it, and is rewarded with money.
>>
>>76714908
>free excellent schooling for all ages doesn't exist
>what is khan academy
>>
>>76714908
>Are you libertarians going to let poor families keep their kid at home all day because they can't afford to go to school?

Is this even a question? Of course because MUH TAXATION IS THEFT!! The free market will fix it!
>>
>>76714708
>infrastructure costs a fortune to build or fix

asphalt isn't exactly expensive and fixing a pothole doesn't take much effort, just time
>>
>>76725828

And who will give him this money, if it is not the government?
>>
>>76725070
How do you decide who is in the condo association?
>>
>>76714577
Was convincing until

>And was founded by nazis

Now I want one.
>>
This is my last post because im going to bed

>>76725557
>okay, and?
imagine putting up a camera on all roads every 50 m, I thought the US was the land of the free, and "dont tread on me" " muh privacy"

>maybe different story in the third world
first world, but yes in Australia there are vast expanses of roads where people would not do these things, also the only places where people could constantly survey would be in the cities/suburbs and it would be a logistical nightmare registering, monitoring and shutting down/opening roads under different owners (e.g. shutting down a libertarians toll road because they were abusing it for money [also, who would shut it down if there was no government?])

>dash cam, send over lunch
hey, here's the video of the car that destroyed your road, here's the numberplate, whats that? There is no numberplate because the car is not registered because there is no government to register cars with, also people have no drivers licenses and there are no government agencies with databases of peoples cars. There is no way to identify the man in my video who is wearing a balaclava
BLOWN THE FUCK OUT

>>76725568
see above

>>76725616
?

>>76725657
people competing to build roads for the lowest possible cost will build really shitty roads anon
(and if you think that people wouldn't go to those contractors for business, think again, only rich areas would get good roads)

ALSO
My real solution to this problem is to have good quality concrete roads, like they have in Hong Kong, I've seen them, they dont have potholes, obviously this is expensive and unreasonable on large scale projects like Aus and US and Canada.
>>
>>76718022
Underrated
>>
>>76715652

Top kek. Nice.
>>
File: readImage (1).jpg (38 KB, 620x445) Image search: [Google]
readImage (1).jpg
38 KB, 620x445
>>76715652
>>
>>76718022
>>76726427
HAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA
That is actually french for "Just a water hole"
I thought it was just jibberish
>>
>>76726416
>still no examples of companies damaging shit in hopes of getting more business
>>
>>76726586
>because we don;t actually live in a libertarian "society" and the government we have currently solves these issues

goodnight
>>
>>76726556
It apparently is.
>>
>>76726689
>implying the government of a country isnt just a large business
>implying that the people vandalizing things will do it for free and the equipment used to vandalize is free aswell
>>
>>76715063
Do it then.
>>
>>76714842
Yeah BOY!!! 80 Series checking in!
>>
>>76714842
Yeah Boy!! 80 Series Checking In!

Also, this hole is easily fixed with a can of gasoline, a shovel and some asphalt.
>>
>>76714459
The house the pothole is in front of, the business(es) where the pothole is in front of, the person who owns the road.
>>
>>76720575

Picture this:

I'm a Libertarian and there is a pothole in the middle of the nearby highway. I knock on 1000 doors in the hopes of raising $1000 to pay for Megacorp to come and fix the pothole. Ideally all 1000 people I visit will agree to sign the survey/proposal to chip in some money to pay for the road repairs. However in reality it is likely to be the case that a lot of these individuals will pretend that they do not want the road to be fixed because they know the other 999 people can easily pay their share and make up the extra $1 they didn't contribute. This mindset will likely be shared with a majority of the 1000 people surveyed so the end result will be a.) the road doesn't get fixed or b.) those that said yes (e.g. 50 people) have to pay double to make up for the other 50 free-riders. If it were a proposal to build a bridge or an entire new highway that costs a lot more than the pothole, this problem is going to be far worse because of their individual budget sizes.
>>
>>76727568
i just charge people when they actually want to use one of my organizations assets.
Thread replies: 248
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.