[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do americans use strenuous ancestral links to partly appropriate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: toofuckingmuch.jpg (377 KB, 3025x2841) Image search: [Google]
toofuckingmuch.jpg
377 KB, 3025x2841
Why do americans use strenuous ancestral links to partly appropriate personal links with foreign nations? i.e.;
>i am 3 quarters irish, 1 third swiss and a half german with some scottish on my mothers side too
This is a typical thing you often hear americans saying.
Is it because they are subconsciously aware and embarrassed by their own nations lack of unique culture, history and heritage?
picture not related
>>
>>76628455
>never calls out "African" americans

Your nose is showing.
>>
>>76628455
No it's because there are several types of humans and it's akin to describing which sub-types you are made of.

Fuck off Ahmed
>>
>>76628455
Because humans are tribal animals, or men atleast are. They seek to be part in a greater group and what group would be closer to you than your own people, your ethnicity? From this obviously arises the issue that Americans have forsaken their former ethnicities to join in a great big, disgusting melting pot, so now they're seeking to connect with people like themselves.
>>
>>76628603
He must identify as 1/3rd goat.
>>
File: 1465459688740.jpg (78 KB, 540x562) Image search: [Google]
1465459688740.jpg
78 KB, 540x562
>>76628455
>Is it because they are subconsciously aware and embarrassed by their own nations lack of unique culture, history and heritage?
pretty much, the us values race over nationality so some americans slap on nationalities like your average tumblr slapping on genders and disabilities to stand out from the crowd
>>
>>76628663
>>76628603
so why not just say 'white european' then?
What you both say also implies forethought, which i don't think exists in this phenomenon.
They are subconsciously misappropriating other national identities in an attempt to shore up their own perceived shortcomings.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (94 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
94 KB, 1920x1080
>>76628455
I rarely ever hear anybody say that shit, and i'm 44 years old in America. But those who do, well its more of a "fun fact" than an identity, at least outside the major cities. Maybe a 100 years ago when you had huge communities or neighborhoods of single ethnic groups.

Even most blacks are annoyed with the "african americans" tag, when is the last time you ever heard a black person say to another black "whats up my african american?" No.. more like "sup nigga?"

>No unique culture
We have taken a bit of every culture and made it into our own.
>>
File: alien sighting #4.jpg (76 KB, 628x692) Image search: [Google]
alien sighting #4.jpg
76 KB, 628x692
The most embarrassing is when Germany starts winning the world cup and the whole of /sp/ starts to find their German ancestry
>>
>>76629230
>I rarely ever hear anybody say that shit, and i'm 44 years old in America.
That's because they don't say it to Americans.
But they make a point of saying it to people who are not American.
>>
>>76629417
Well it often a conversation starter if your in europe. Its like say what state you're from if your here.
>>
>>76629572
Fuck off

If i'm in another country, and someone asks me where i'm from, i say;
>I am from the UK
not
>I am from the UK but, my great great grandfather on my mothers side was from ireland

you people are literally worse than vegans.
>>
>>76630040
If you were in ireland you might say that.
>>
>>76630040
You're just being ridiculous. No one answers "where are you from" with their ancestral history. Literally no one except for the hypothetical people you just made up in your pea-brain. Someone might ask, well, what's your ethnicity / where do your ancestors come from? Then you can answer. Not all of us can be so sure that we come from the same 2-4 people's DNA i.e. all English people.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.