[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
On The Langua Franca...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: FullSizeRender(1).jpg (49 KB, 596x761) Image search: [Google]
FullSizeRender(1).jpg
49 KB, 596x761
So /pol/, serious discussion for a minute - what's the rest of the world's apprehension to English?

As a burger, I want to say, this has nothing to do with muh 'learn sum fukkin eglish ya beaner', but rather, why it is that in the US, we bend over backwards to plaster every conceivable language on every goddamn sign, business, and warning label in existence, when other nations won't so much as do the same for American tourists?

I'm all for putting forward the effort to learn a native tongue before going to another country, but again, why is it that we put forth such an effort to do what other nations won't? I wouldn't have a problem, per se, if two things didn't occur:

1. People come here without bothering to at least try and learning English, despite the fact that it's been the dominant language, and,

2. You try to speak in another language, being as polite as possible, and often, you'll run across someone that will come back to you, in ALMOST PERFECT ENGLISH THEMSELVES, of what you got WRONG.

I guess it's a matter of preserving culture, but I find it a wee bit insulting, tbqh, that this is a one-sided effort, all against the fact that English is the '1/3rd Langua Franca' - "Oh, I KNOW English, just, you know, fuck it"
>>
Wtf.

I was going to write a long post. But hell just look at all the flags on this board.
It's all in coherent English.
>>
>>76338615
I'm not saying here - I mean, when you go out into the world. Like, at McDonald's here, you have five different languages telling you the cup is hot. In say, France, you only really have French on it for the most part.
>>
>>76338274
>2. You try to speak in another language, being as polite as possible, and often, you'll run across someone that will come back to you, in ALMOST PERFECT ENGLISH THEMSELVES, of what you got WRONG.

If I were learning a language and a native speaker told me what I was doing wrong while speaking I would be appreciative.

As an American I think we should not bring up others' abilities or lack thereof to speak our native tongue. Multilingualism is one thing I will give Euros credit for. I have tried several times to learn another language and it just is not going to work.
>>
>>76338274
Wow, really makes you think. Guess I'm a #cruzmissle now.
>>
>>76338274
WOLBACHIA
>>
>>76338899
And I DO appreciate that. In my experience, since I live near the border, this is a problem, however, which is why I brought it up in the first place. Again, I take no issue, but this is just something I've come to notice, traveling abroad.

>>76339050
I'm now a #HillShill
>>
>>76338274
most places have sings and whatnot in English, dunno what you're talking about
>>
MALE
>>
File: 1464231934501.jpg (95 KB, 350x262) Image search: [Google]
1464231934501.jpg
95 KB, 350x262
>mfw looking at my post I can't even speak my own language.
>>
>>76339354
TO FEMALE
>>
>>76339140
I find it hilarious that every time I started a new game it was the kikongo strain.
>>
>>76339715
Kikongo is shit-tier anyways. Undoubtedly the WORST language.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.