[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/pol/, can you help me out? In my biological anthropology course
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: hominids2_big.jpg (76 KB, 1141x538) Image search: [Google]
hominids2_big.jpg
76 KB, 1141x538
/pol/, can you help me out? In my biological anthropology course in UIC a few years ago my professor seemed red-pilled in which, by saying that there weren't that many offshoots of the Homo species, we descended from H. erectus and H. neanderthalensis. My question is that when I went to a community college (Harper in Palatine, IL actually), my profs there said we are all one race out of Africa. Apparently the "Out-of-Africa" hypothesis for modern-day H. sapiens sapiens is the dominant hypothesis for explaining how we got to where we are.

So which one is it, /pol/? Are we all one race or are there multiple races?
>>
bump for communal knowledge gathering

please
>>
>>76179149
"Out of Africa" has been debunked years ago, that's what they taight in the 00s, not anymore.
>>
>>76179512
I went to Harper from 2012-2014. It's still around, man.

No joke

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recent_African_origin_of_modern_humans

"...the most widely accepted model of the geographic origin and early migration of anatomically modern humans"
>>
>>76179149
We didn't evolve from Neanderthal, they split off before us.

The multi-regional evolution approach is starting to make a comeback.
>>
>>76179724
Exactly. We interbred with them, and we have genetic evidence in our species today from that interbreeding. So what is the difference between Africans and Whites then?
>>
>>76179834
Africans don't have Neanderthal DNA unlike every other human population.
>>
>>76179512
Most Eurasians have trace amounts of Neanderthal DNA, but the rest is originally from Africa.
>>
>>76179834
>>76179964
It's not quite so simple. I remember reading about a migration back into Africa (around Africa's horn and East coast; no it wasn't Arabs), so some Africans are essentially dark skinned Caucasians. Then there's the issue of Arab admixture in the North and white/indigenous admixture in the Americas.
>>
>>76179964
Would you say there are significant differences then in cognitive capacities between Africans and Europeans because of the inbreeding that occurred in African populations prior to the interbreeding of neanderthals and sapiens?
>>
>>76179149
There is no such thing as race. There are different species, and subspecies. Humans and niggers are different species, with a common ancestor. Two separate groups of hominids, living in very different environments for thousands of generations, with minimal cross breeding could not have possibly evolved in the same way, and at the same rate.
>>
>>76180452
>species
ebin
>>
>>76180357
Neanderthal had a larger brain than modern humans, but there is little evidence they had complex language or culture akin to Homo sapiens at the time. Also the percentage of Neanderthal DNA in modern humans is so miniscule that it would have hardly any noticeable effects.
>>
>>76180452
Define species
>>
>>76179149

The simplistic version of OoA that's generally taught is impossible, genetically-speaking. As of yet, there's been exactly zero serious rebuttal (much less published refutation) of Klyosov's critique.

All non-Africans appear to have Neanderthal ancestry (there are other theories to account for the data that don't actually involve admixture, but they're still fringe). Many non-Africans have Denisovan admixture. Some Africans have Neanderthal admixture from migrations into Africa, and some sub-Saharan Africans have another archaic admixture not shared by the rest of the world. So that part's a bit complicated.

We're all "one race" in the sense that we can beget progeny together. That's about it.
>>
>>76180762
I remember reading that neanderthals had a form of ritual based on burials, which indicates they probably did have a reasonably complex sort of language. My idea is that because neanderthals were already, in some way, complex, was the interbreeding between them and sapiens a cognitive benefit over the inbreeding of just African sapiens?
>>
>>76180985
My point is, at the end of the day, I want some type of anthropological backing that Africans are in some way shape or form less of human than Europeans. I am willing to accept though that what I am saying is utter bullshit
>>
>mass immigration from another continent
>led to their species being bred out of existence
Hol up...

Wez gonna be some kinna ancient species?? Like a picture of our skeletons will be put up while they talk about our species traits compared to theirs??

HOL UP
>>
>>76180762

>there is little evidence they had complex language or culture akin to Homo sapiens at the time

Language is debatable, but I don't think one can argue they didn't have comparable culture.

>Some 336 meters into the cave, the caver stumbled across something extraordinary - a vast chamber where several stalagmites had been deliberately broken. Most of the 400 pieces had been arranged into two rings - a large one between 4 and 7 metres across, and a smaller one just 2 metres wide. Others had been propped up against these donuts. Yet others had been stacked into four piles. Traces of fire were everywhere, and there was a mass of burnt bones.

>The discovery suggested that Neanderthals were more sophisticated than anyone had given them credit for. They wielded fire, ventured deep underground, and shaped the subterranean rock into complex constructions. Perhaps they even carried out rituals; after all, there was no evidence that anyone actually lived in the cave, so what else were the rings and mounds for?

>After drilling into the stalagmites and pulling out cylinders of rock, the team could see an obvious transition between two layers. On one side were old minerals that were part of the original stalagmites; on the other were newer layers that had been laid down after the fragments were broken off by the cave’s former users. By measuring uranium levels on either side of the divide, the team could accurately tell when each stalagmite had been snapped off for construction.

>Their date? 176,500 years ago, give or take a few millennia.

http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/05/the-astonishing-age-of-a-neanderthal-cave-construction-site/484070/
>>
>>76179149
Evolution doesn't just stop once it reaches humans. We came out of Africa as one race, and 60,000 years later we now have different races.
>>
Here's the deal, OP.

Apes are smart, as far as animals go. They'll leave their home range and go somewhere else if absolutely necessary. Bipedal apes have it a lot easier, as walking on two legs costs far less energy than knuckle-walking.

Apes also tend to be horny motherfuckers and will get down and dirty with the opposite sex of pretty much anything. Remember that footage of the chimp masturbating with a frog's mouth? That kinda shit. Naturally some ape populations have differing chromosomes and can't mix, but others probably could, so there's no telling precisely how many hominid species existed.

Races, on the other, possess subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) differences, adaptations to their environments and habits. Chances are, there were multiple races back then, however slight the differences might have been.

A paleoanthropologist years back put forth the suggestion that the different species were actually different races; he caught major flak for that, from what I remember.
>>
>>76180985
>>76181219
Not one piece of anything that can be identified as 'art' has been found from Neanderthal sites, while modern humans have created shell necklaces and ochre forms from at least 70000 years ago.
>>
Different races, same species.

END OF RINE.
>>
>>76181525
What do you think of their ritualistic burials though?
>>
>>76181525

https://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0&gws_rd=ssl#complete=0&q=neanderthal+jewelry
>>
>>76181804
Could be argued that were done for hygienic reasons, or to stop predators from eating the body.
>>
>>76181910
Welp, never thought of it that way
>>
>>76181853
Not conclusive, there is no definitive proof they were used as jewelry, unlike what has been found for Homo sapiens.
>>
>>76181910
Maybe their art wasn't physical? I assume singing or the neandertal equivalent counts as a form of art.
>>
>>76182168
We would never be able to find that out, unfortunately.
>>
>>76181230
We're all the same race. Just some people have a different skin color.
>>
>>76182301
Couldn't we analyze their vocal structures that would show if they had the possibility of emitting certain frequencies that correspond to the frequencies used to make music?
>>
>>76182629
I'm no expert but I don't think you can do that with only bones.
>>
>>76183012
My idea is that if we know the structure of the bones then we can guess if they had the ability to produce prolonged frequencies that could be used for music. Like a structure that could produce a 450hz drone that wouldn't be seen as a normal call for communicating "where are you?" or "watch out!"; instead something for singing at a burial
>>
>>76183266
They found a bone that I have forgotten the name of that both Neanderthal and humans have that is integral to speech. But this is not definite proof they had lanaguag.
>>
bump for others' thoughts
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.