[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was previously a huge Gary Johnson fan, and wanted to vote f
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: gary johnson.png (515 KB, 946x1024) Image search: [Google]
gary johnson.png
515 KB, 946x1024
Was previously a huge Gary Johnson fan, and wanted to vote for him, but I really can't dig his platform on private gun ownership. It's actually atrocious.

>20:36: Gary Johnson gets wrecked by Austin Petersen (who I'm not a fan of at all), since the former can't actually say what makes someone"mentally unstable" and unfit to own a gun, despite saying a few minutes before that "mentally unstable" people shouldn't be able to own a gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58xP9PHekMU&feature=youtu.be&t=1108

>4:36: His VP pick, Bill Weld, defends his gun-grabbing platform and tries to distinguish between "hunting" and "assault" weapons. Basically taking up a very un-libertarian position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUyUh07SLNA

Yeah I know that /pol/ usually is alt-right and such, but it's very disheartening that the candidate I strongly supported before has basically come out as inconsistent on one of the most important issues to me. Any other libertarians here pissed about the current state of things? Or, any libertarians who supported Johnson who weren't aware of this? I'm curious.
>>
File: libertarians.webm (1 MB, 746x391) Image search: [Google]
libertarians.webm
1 MB, 746x391
>>76131361
>Any other libertarians

Libertarians are under 18 which is why they can't post on this board.
>>
>>76131595
Eh, this year has been a fucking mess for the party, mate. And don't even try to convince me that Donald Trump is a good candidate like most people here have been pushing, given that the fucker was a gun-grabber just several years ago before he had a nomination at stake.
>>
>>76131595
Those two are over 18! But then again look at them...
>>
>>76131795
Like I said, things have been disgraceful in the last year. To be fair, that guy in the video is just a candidate for chairman. I really can't find any candidates I like who support private gun ownership as a human right (*actually* support it, I mean, not just say they do in a vague sense). Petersen comes off as grating and insincere and McAfee seemed unreliable.
>>
>>76132064
Which is why its a total chick and egg scenario.

There will never be a major libertarian party because the party is comprised of tweens and attention-seekers.
>>
>>76132529
You know, more and more these days, it seems to be going that way, especially since the party tried so hard to appeal to disenfranchised Bernie supporters and GOP fall-outs. What a fucking mess.
>>
>>76131361
I think this is the lolberts first real shot to grow a base, and the GOP is dying. The ideological divide between libertarian republicans and conservatives is just growing too wide.
>>
>>76134065
Yeah, but they turned off a lot of people with the VP nomination that Gary Johnson had given to Bill Weld. Yeah, Bill Weld, a literal gun-grabbing governor who is unapologetic about infringing on his citizens' rights.
>>
>>76131361
>voting libertarian
Anon, give it up. It's at the point where Ancaps are showing to vote for Trump in full drove. Trump is a cultural libertarian and is most likely more of a libertarian than Johnson. Trump does not support the Crony Capitalism of subsidized and illegal immigration. Gary does. You can even call "free trade" Crony Capitalist at this point because it's bankrolled by multinational companies who wish to undercut American companies. At its heart its an anticompetitive measure. Stop hiding in your principles and accept reality. Going after free trade and immigration are more libertarian than sitting their picking your nose. The libertarian party has truly been infiltrated.
>>
>>76132064
> a total gun grabber
You mean he was fooled by the scare talk of assault weapons (like many including Reagan were), and supported background checks only because 90% of the people support it. Even now you can't deny Trump's position is indeed more libertarian than Johnson. He isn't going to touch guns. Thinking he is, is ludicrous. Trump literally said he wanted to make schools not gun-free anymore.
>>
>>76134970
I know I'm not voting for Johnson anymore. Johnson certainly isn't a crony capitalist on any counts, though.

>>76135183
Not a bad point at all, good speculation m8.
>>
>>76134531
His position on firearms is garbage I agree, but I can understand the choice. A VP is just a hood ornament, and the truth is he was one of the few actual politicians Johnson could tap for the position. I'm excited for this election because I can't believe how easy it is to convince people to drop their tenuous support for Trump/Hillary and swallow the Johnson.
>>
>>76135266
Immigration is literally the honey pot of crony capitalism and no libertarians want to touch it. Look at what Silicon Valley is doing.
>>
>>76135330
Only Bernouts are going to swallow the Johnson. Trump voters are going to see his position on guns, turn 360 degrees, and walk away. The next president is going to pick some new SCOTUS justices, and we can't have some "hey uh some of these guns aren't for civilian uses, what does a civilian need an assault rifle for?" cucks get picked.
>>
>>76135330
I can't see myself convincing people to Feel the Johnson, though, since I was going to vote for him on PRINCIPLE. Now that he's shown that he doesn't have those principles (he even threw out Austin Petersen's award to him as nominee, a flintlock pistol that was a replica's of George Washington's, which was later recovered by convention-goers), I can't give him my vote.
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 499x280) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 499x280
The LP party fucked up big time, I had my eyes on Austin Petersen. Now, my eyes are on trump
>>
>>76135547
Why you would ever vote for someone based on principle? Throw your feelings aside. This is why NRx/Alt-right is simply superior to libertarianism. NRx and the Alt-right espouses libertarian-like views because they simply are the most practical. Libertarians espouse views because of their feelings.
>>
File: csp.jpg (63 KB, 800x520) Image search: [Google]
csp.jpg
63 KB, 800x520
I like guns as much as the next guy. Nothing beats the feeling of popping in a clip, holding your gun sideways for maximum accuracy and then popping a few caps. But shouldn't we ban all guns to make liberals stop acting like violent monkeys?

They are just like Ackmed, they will totally stop terrorizing you when you give them exactly what they want.
>>
>>76135547
I thought they've made up now though?

>>76135520
The "average" voter gives jack shit about firearms. To be honest, the 2nd amendment is already a gutted mess and it requires someone far more assertive on the issue than either Trump or Johnson to fix it.

Libertarian-lite is I think the easiest path to mass appeal. Only then will the public take more intense interpretations of libertarianism seriously
>>
I dropped Johnson when he picked an anti gun running mate and made pro gun control noises.
>>
>>76136104
>The "average" voter gives jack shit about firearms. To be honest, the 2nd amendment is already a gutted mess and it requires someone far more assertive on the issue than either Trump or Johnson to fix it.

Gun control is one of the most important issues. Besides background checks voter completely and utterly oppose gun control measures. NRA is one of the biggest interest groups and is member-run/funded.
>>
>>76136190
an NRA member does not represent the average voter. It's a highly visible issue, but not the single most issue to the vast majority of the American public.
>>
>>76135940
I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that our existence of a democratic republic wasn't there to help people pick candidates who actually fit their views. Most alt-righters I talk to don't even know much about their candidates because of the memes.

>>76136040
Thank you, Tim Hortons anon. This made my day.

>>76136104
>I thought they've made up now?
Given that the guy claimed to be pro-gun a billion times before pulling that among doing many other anti-gun things...

>The average voter, etc...

What >>76136190 said short of supporting the NRA.

>>76136190
I think I've had this discussion in another thread, but the NRA really doesn't do anything for gun rights whatsoever. They support import bans (or stay quiet on them), only recently began to support "scary black guns" and their ownership because domestic interests gave them enough money to do so, and only ride on the coattails of Second Amendment Foundation and Gun Owners of America.

>>76136295
You'd be right there. I don't like the NRA, though, but they are fairly large and have a wide membership. However, they don't represent the average voter.
>>
>>76136295
The fact that the NRA is the biggest interest group shows that gun control is one of the most cared about issues.
>>
>>76136408
the NRA is tiny compared to banks, pharma, agriculture, military industrial complex

the nra even has less money to spend than the anti gun jews.
>>
>>76136382
>I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that our existence of a democratic republic wasn't there to help people pick candidates who actually fit their views. Most alt-righters I talk to don't even know much about their candidates because of the memes.

It is, but you formed your views from feelings. NRx/Alt-right has formed their views from reality. Principles vs. Pragmatism. An ideologue will never win the presidency again. If you don't see the serious discussions on /pol/ you just aren't looking hard enough.
>>
>>76136575
I meant the biggest member-run interest group.
>>
>>76136408
>the NRA is the biggest interest group
>>
>>76136635
>Any ideologue will never win the presidency again

I have to say that you are fucking retarded, given that Trump got his entire base from his statements of principles and not out of compromise. With your mentality, Cruz might as well have won.
>>
>>76136815
>I have to say that you are fucking retarded, given that Trump got his entire base from his statements of principles and not out of compromise.

That's where your wrong. Trump's entire views are built of his pragmatism.

1.) What's best for America

and

2.) What will win the election

Donald Trump doesn't think with emotions others do and he exploits that.

> With your mentality, Cruz might as well have won.

Cruz was the ideologue who was unwilling to bend on issues like "free trade" and jeebus stuff.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.