[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is political science a shit degree?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6
File: textbook-fail-swastika~2.jpg (37 KB, 447x392) Image search: [Google]
textbook-fail-swastika~2.jpg
37 KB, 447x392
Is political science a shit degree?
>>
>>76121097
Yes. It's very left leaning.
>>
Yes. If you're looking to get into politics, you want a law degree.
>>
I have never met anybody with a polysci degree who I would have compunctions about undermining through other methods.
>>
>>76121315
This. Lenin went to law school, and look what he did. He didn't even get a degree; he was kicked out. Polisci is going to, at best, land you a job as a social studies teacher in some run-down middle school.
>>
>>76121097
I have this degree and I can tell you it is pretty weak. All it really did is make me extremely cynical about politics and hate both parties. We live in an oligarchy in democracy's clothing.

If you want to be a paralegal and eventually a lawyer it's okay, but other than that I wouldn't recommend it. It can get you a job where literally any degree will do but that's about it.

I'm looking to return to school to become an engineer.
>>
File: 1413505237752.png (249 KB, 407x330) Image search: [Google]
1413505237752.png
249 KB, 407x330
>>76121653

>tfw social studies teacher in run-down middle school
>>
YES
E
S

It is.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>76121097
Yes it's pozzed up its ass
>>
>>76121745
>>76121097
its a good bachelor if you go for a foreign relations master afterwards
>>
>>76121932
So I can be a globalist shill? No thanks
>>
>>76121745
You to get a degree to become extremely cynical about politics?
>>
>Political science
>Shit tier
Depends. If you suck up the narrative they teach you will come out as a hardcore marxist who never read Marx. But if you take it as a competition to get into fights (not only verbal) with the MS, it pretty much gives you everything to rip Marxist and feminazis appart with their own weapons.

Just don't expect to get a job.

>t. political scientist teaching for 750€/month
>>
>>76122059
A foreign relations degree is pretty much a dream come true. You can get solid awesome jobs at foreign representations of your country.
>>
>>76122216
>Foreign Relation studies (be more specific)
>Dream job

Depends a loooot on the networks you have made and the university you attempted. And without International law and a wide array of national law (and european policy making) its like any other Bac. Arts degree.
>>
File: Dr._Pavel_I'm_CIA.jpg (5 KB, 189x267) Image search: [Google]
Dr._Pavel_I'm_CIA.jpg
5 KB, 189x267
>tfw undergrad degree in Poli Sci
>Getting masters in public administration
>>
>>76122436
Sry, Master of Arts
>To drunk
>>
>>76122216
Getting those jobs is mostly networking and you're dealing with the worst scum in any university
>>
>>76122436
What networking?
You just need to the exam and thats it, you are set. They hire based on your effort and not based on your connections.
>>
>>76122686
replied wrong, was for you >>76122686
>>
>>76121653
Not true, he later got his law degree following some diplomacy from his mother
>>
'Political ''’''science''''''

Globalist propaganda - the degree
Yeah, sounds great
>>
>>76122216
There's very few jobs in that sector
>>
>>76122686
Maybe in Judenburg, but in Cisleithania if you aren't in the VP and are per du with the guys from the DA, you have no real chance.

But still, what kind of IR you are talking about?
>>
File: 1396012067528.gif (24 KB, 719x587) Image search: [Google]
1396012067528.gif
24 KB, 719x587
>>76121097
>>
>>76122555
Even the retired scum from my university who even got a building named after him is still to be seen walking the halls so many times.

I wonder what's up with him. He doesn't look very happy about it.
>>
>>76121097
political science is really all about polling and collecting and reading data. Its not public policy/economics.
>>
>>76122084
Not exactly. I started in architecture and struggled (I was not very good at model building, although my drawings and concepts were alright, models were the bread and butter of the program), ended up on academic probation, and rather than transfer to another university, which would have reset my GPA, I chose to pick from the short list of programs unaffected by academic probation and finish off my Bachelors.

I would have done it differently if I had it to do again.
>>
File: MTE5NTU2MzE2MjMyMjU0OTg3[1].jpg (15 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
MTE5NTU2MzE2MjMyMjU0OTg3[1].jpg
15 KB, 300x300
>>76121097
The good doctor says no
>>
>>76121097
If you have to add science to its end, it's not science and thus not worthy of pursuit.
>>
>>76123344 (checked)
>Political science
>Specialized Sociologist
Quite right, but IR, public policy studies and political economics are also legitime sub fields, if you don't go full law fag or (((philosophy)))
>>
>>76121097
for undergrad it is, PhD its not bad as long as ur not a academic

>phd politics
>>
>>76121315
Political science is the gateway degree into lawschool
>>
OP here I am interested in going into an intelligence agency mainly working in counterterrorism. What degree should I get?
>>
>>76121097
Get a degree in statistics instead.
>>
What about PPE Philosphy Politcs and Economics triple honours at Oxford
>>
>>76124167
a couple of felonies, threaten the president, and a computer history of jacking off to animes
>>
>>76124167

Go to a counter-terrorism oriented government agency's careers page and then look up requirements for various jobs that you're interested in.
I can tell you right now that Comp Sci degrees will put you at the top of the pile. International Relations helps. Accounting/Finance degrees are important to track down money. Language majors - if you can get a few hundred hours of a few languages under your belt -- maybe you travel to Russia for study abroad, you will go to top of pile. Each language you speak gets you a bonus every year from one of the agencies. Any degree that will work with GIS (geographic information software) can give you a leg up.

My advice, since you will be submitting written work, is to make sure that the assignments you do in college are legitimately good work. You will be submitting them with your applications.

Godspeed.
>>
>>76124167
>Agency
>CT
Join the military and afterwards specialize in security studies and statistics
>>
>>76121653
>>76121315
ok fags but you need a degree LIKE polisci to get into law school to begin with.

ie don't get a polisci degree unless you are going to law school later.
>>
>>76121745

What all do you learn in a Poli Sci degree? Are there things you wouldn't be able to learn fully outside a classroom setting? To me, it seems a Poli Sci education could be learned with the right materials. One shouldn't study a degree if you could do it as a hobby.
>>
>>76124241
I wouldn't want to have Oxford on my record at this point, but at least its a private uni so maybe nobody will have to know.
>>
>>76121315
Tonnes of political people have PoliSci/Government/PPE/Economics/IR degrees chattin' shit.
>>
>>76124726
>Are there things you wouldn't be able to learn fully outside a classroom setting?
For undergrade you are right, but were do you get the information and time to know what is shit and what are gems.

Point is, you wouldn't get the same information in the same time if you are doing it all by yourself
>>
>>76124726

An important part is the assignments. How are you researching, how are you structuring your arguments, what are you using for data and statistical analysis, can you make accurate predictions. I veered off and studied policy and IR, though, because I was fed up with trying to pretend that any other offshoot of realism was more important than realism. Also, professors will generally be well-traveled and have met lots of different people that you can potentially network with. And then you can spend the rest of your days posting on a Norwegian Cartoon Plank.
>>
>>76121097
I dont get why anyone would call it a shit degree. If you want to be a career politician you need to know how politics work and you're going to to learn that in political sci.
>>
>>76125276
Because if you have one then we know you're a dick-sucker.
>>
>>76125136

structural/material based english school is goat ir theory
>>
>>76125136
>>76124726

You can definitely learn a lot of the theoretical stuff, but you aren't going to bother applying it without the structure of university.
I was just reading through some of my old papers and some of my predictions were spot on. It can be helpful to see which predictions went wrong and then look at why that happened. Did the analysis fail because of my own hubris? Or, did I ignore a factor that caused the entire thesis to unwind? Did a new, unpredictable factor appear some years down the line? How can I write future analyses to incorporate these kinds of situations?

If you aren't interested enough to consider making Poli Sci or its offshoots your major, then don't worry about it. But don't pretend it isn't important. You learn very valuable skills and a deeper appreciation for societal complexity.
>>
>>76125442

I like you
>>
>>76125401
You got to suck a lot of dick in politics thats for sure
>>
>>76125276
>implying Polsci is about politicans everyday work
Le Natural Scientist
>>
>>76124558
pretty good advice from an austrian desu

>im in phd pol sci program
>former army
>currently employed in intelligence

its far more than you will need, most people in intel are retarded as fuck and just have 4 year degrees (if that)

you will be top of the field with those credentials tho
>>
>>76124558

There are tons of support positions that don't require military background.

Also, if anyone is considering a poli sci degree, but their family isn't well-off and you will need to support yourself immediately after college, I would encourage you to shoot for something else with a better early-professional career path. i.e. Computer Science, Bio-Engineering, Accounting, Pharmacology
>>
>>76125732
Of all the dicks I could suck, those would be at the bottom of the list.
>>
>>76125600
Maybe not my masters thesis was how can you say more "ideational" and i guess could be considered more constructivist in some ways

Its actually really unpopular in the UK to not be along the constructivist route and most of the professors will be you are unlikely to find many keen structural theorists.

Not that I find it a terrible thing, although i hate how far off constructivist areas can go I think there is real merit at least in looking at the domestic politics/nationalism in a state.
>>
>>76121097
Seems like another starbucks degree.
They really should add barista 101 as a ger for getting your ba.
>>
>>76125883
Don't know how it works in the US but her, if you don't like to be the report writting slave and do actual analysis, you need to be in the cercle, which are mostly miliary men(and women) or a high functioning autist with a shit ton of degrees, work experience and own donkey who can shit gold
>>
>>76125741
Wow that really makes you think, damn.
>>
>>76126315
Good Lord, you have donkeys that shit gold?

WE MUST IMMEDIATELY PREVENT THE MEXESHITS FROM KNOWING ABOUT THIS
>>
>>76121097
Well as a political science major I'll say that most programs don't teach you to do the things you'll actually be doing with that degree, most of the classes are endless political theory and useless shit you have to put up with to get close to the professors who are the gatekeepers to the "real" stuff you're after, namely internships and jobs with think tanks, activist groups, and political parties. In any poli sci program there's a group of 10-20% of students that are doing that shit while the other 80% or so are just people who picked an easy major because they liked to argue political shit on facebook. You can get good jobs in political science, but it's not a major for everyone. First off you'll need to learn that the ideals of the person signing the paychecks override your own, second it's not a field for introverts, aspies, or whatever you guys are calling yourselves these days. If you can't shake a man's hand and tell him about how you share his glorious vision for America with a smile on your face it's not for you. Also expect to get post secondary education at some point, a masters, a PhD, a law degree, etc.
>>
>>76126409
Most politicans are law fags, what is far more important if you need to break the law as your job.

Having some understanding about how political ideologies work and being able to use speech theory as weapon is nice to, but not required if you are a good goyim
>>
>>76121795
>middle school teachers post on /pol/
Have you redpilled any of your students?
>>
File: The_rope.gif (2 MB, 504x279) Image search: [Google]
The_rope.gif
2 MB, 504x279
>>76121795
>mfw trying to teach undergrads about the basics of comparative politics while not having time for my phd.
I don't know who's worse off.
>>
>>76121097
Absolutely. You could study politics on your own time through books, newspapers, documentaries, etc. You don't need to pay thousands for it. It's much better to study something that will get you employed.
>>
>>76124678
this desu senpai it's an easy ride to law school if your going that route, just don't expect the course load to be anywhere near similar.
>>
>>76127256
>It's an easy ride to law school

Can't wait until your my next lawyer or judge.
>>
>>76121745
high school senior (18) who wants to become a lawyer here, would you recommend polsci if you know you are going to law school after?
>>
>>76127888
It's a good base degree, that's really all PolySci is usable for

I say yes, but I personally have decided I don't want to go down that path
>>
>>76128927
thanks for the heads up. GL out there anon
>>
>>76121097
It's only good if you track it towards something. Lots of these young liberals think they'll get their PoliSci/History Major and then go find a cushy job in D.C. but the major by itself is useless.

I matched my PoliSci major with extensive work in languages (currently speak Chinese, Arabic, Spanish, Korean, and obv. English) and foreign relations. I used this to land a job in China which starts in about a month and a half.

So is PoliSci useless? By itself yes, but if you know how to gear it towards something useful it can be fun I guess.
>>
It's good for law school, and it can be useful if you also have a degree in statistics.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.