[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Flynn Effect
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
I keep hearing that the Flynn Effect isn't real or is a meme.

Could I get anally annihilated on how IQ tests aren't re-calibrated consistently to account for higher scores?
>>
>>75603287
The flynn effect is real, but it's the equivalent of saying women now are taller than men in the 1500s, therefore, women can be just as tall as men. At a certain point environmental factors reach a saturation point and genetics take over.

>Could I get anally annihilated on how IQ tests aren't re-calibrated consistently to account for higher scores?

Now, the flynn effect only notices the upward trend in population IQ as living standards increase. It's not you as an individual.
>>
>>75603287
Flynn Effect has been in regression for the past 20 years or so.

Average IQ has been dropping as fast as it was gaining before.

Some researchers hypothesize that genetic IQ has been dropping for much longer than that, but it was masked by the benefits of improved nutrition during childhood outweighing the dysgenic effect. Once those benefits saturated, the real trend became visible again.
>>
>>75603915
Isn't more accurate to say women are taller than they were 20 years ago? It goes up every 10 years in average. And there are tons of women taller the manlets.

I don't think it has any relevance outside of demographics. Thanks though, some jerks were saying it isn't real or something.
>>
>>75603287
IQ is not a fixed measure like the meter or gram, it is a statistical measure, dependent on the statistical population. IQ for a given population is always centered at 100, with 15/16 IQ points per standard deviation. So an IQ of 145 means that person was 3 standard deviations above the average. That's all.

If you consider each generation as a separate statistical population each will have the usual distribution, centered at 100. But if you combine generations for purposes of calculating the mean (=100 IQ), then plot the IQs of successive generations, you will see each is a separare bell curve with slightly different means. Same as you do if you plot women vs men, or blacks vs spicks vs whites vs jews.
>>
>>75604818
I can't find anything about IQ regressing. Idiocracy was a movie. And I do see that the effect is diminished in the higher ranges. Not sure what that means.
>>
>>75605292
That's just debating the scale of time.

>And there are tons of women taller the manlets.
Right, but they're the minority of women like how manlets are the minority of men.
>>
>>75603287
>Flynn Effect
Consider that dumb people are literally paid by the government to have dumb children.

Also consider that smart people are being taxed to pay for these retarded children.

My biggest problem with democrats is that they want to make the world a better place so badly that they will keep trying all solutions. Teach kids about STDs and pregnancy in school, then pay for the retards who can't figure out condoms. Teach kids how important education is, then pay for uneducated retards.
>>
>>75605351
I thought the understanding of the Flynn effect was that the average IQ, the 100 value, in a raw score was higher over time. I don't understand what you are trying to say.
>>
>>75606221
I don't see your point then.
>>
>>75606309
I have no idea what your point is. People in average are smarter despite the incentives you mentioned.
>>
>>75606188

>Jon Martin Sundet and colleagues (2004) examined scores on intelligence tests given to Norwegian conscripts between the 1950s and 2002. They found that the increase of scores of general intelligence stopped after the mid-1990s and declined in numerical reasoning sub-tests.

>Teasdale and Owen (2005) examined the results of IQ tests given to Danish male conscripts. Between 1959 and 1979 the gains were 3 points per decade. Between 1979 and 1989 the increase approached 2 IQ points. Between 1989 and 1998 the gain was about 1.3 points. Between 1998 and 2004 IQ declined by about the same amount as it gained between 1989 and 1998.

>The same authors in a more comprehensive 2008 study, again on Danish male conscripts, found that there was a 1.5 points increase between 1988 and 1998, but a 1.5 points decrease between 1998 and 2003/2004.

>In the United Kingdom, a study by Flynn (2009) found that tests carried out in 1980 and again in 2008 show that the IQ score of an average 14-year-old dropped by more than two points over the period. For the upper half of the results the performance was even worse. Average IQ scores declined by six points.

>Furthermore, during the last century there is a negative correlation between fertility and intelligence although there is not yet any conclusive evidence of the association between the two. They estimate that there has been a dysgenic decline in the world's genotypic IQ (masked by the Flynn effect for the phenotype) of 0.86 IQ points per decade for the years 1950–2000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flynn_effect#Possible_end_of_progression

>Idiocracy was a movie.
Idiocracy was prophetic.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.