[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Australian Man Sentenced Three Years for Anti-Semitism and Hate Speech
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 1448993288759.png (151 KB, 474x426) Image search: [Google]
1448993288759.png
151 KB, 474x426
http://www.baka.com.au//breaking-news-national/three-years-not-enough-for-racism-victim-20110131-1aavd.html

The Jewish victim of a verbal racial attack says a three-year prison term given to the man who called him a "racist, homicidal maniac" outside a Perth supermarket is not enough.

Brendan Lee O'Connell, 40, was sentenced in the District Court in Perth on Monday after being found guilty on Friday of six racial hatred charges.

Chuckling and smiling as the counts were read out to him, O'Connell appeared unaffected by the sentence handed down by Judge Henry Wisbey.

O'Connell represented himself before a jury after firing the lawyer who had been defending him against an accusation that he posted an anti-semitic video online.

He faced seven charges related to the posting of a verbal altercation he had with Stanley Keyser and Timothy Peach, who are Jewish, and was found guilty on six.

An argument broke out between the three men at an IGA supermarket in South Perth on May 2, 2009, where a Friends of Palestine group was holding a protest against Israeli oranges.
>>
>>75539318
O'Connell was using a video camera at the event and in a video he later posted online, he labelled Mr Keyser a "racist, homicidal maniac".

"You have a religion of racism, hate, homicide and ethnic cleansing," he said in the video.

During the trial, O'Connell refused to acknowledge Judge Wisbey when he entered the court and, instead, rose to bow to the jury.

Judge Wisbey said O'Connell showed no remorse and his behaviour "was that of a bully".

About a dozen supporters in the court cheered when O'Connell labelled the proceedings "a kangaroo court" and gave a long, repetitive rant about the King James Bible and the Constitution.

On Monday, Judge Wisbey said O'Connell had shown no remorse for his offences and his behaviour "was that of a bully".

As he was led out of court, O'Connell shouted: "Don't forget about the Gazans!"

Outside court, Mr Keyser said O'Connell had forced him to "suffer" for 18 months.

"I wish he was in (prison) for longer," he said as he rushed passed reporters.

Family friend Steve Lieblich told reporters it was a "very distressing" time for the Keyser family who were happy to have it over.

"I think it was a victory for decency and against bigotry and prejudice," he said.

"On this occasion it was the Jewish people who were the target of this bigotry but on future occasions it could be Muslims or Asians or any group, so we we should all be happy about this result."
>>
>>75539344
Mr Lieblich said he hoped O'Connell would have time to reflect on his views during his prison term.

He said the internet made it easy to "spread hatred" and it was important to address the issue.

"This has got nothing to do with free speech," Mr Lieblich said.

"There's clearly a limit to free speech, there's a limit to all freedoms we have in society because we have to consider others.

"Words can hurt and cause a lot of damage and people need to recognise that they have to watch their words."

O'Connell's sentence has been backdated to January 24 and he will be eligible for parole, but a date for that period was not specified in court.
>>
>sourcing baka.com
>>
This thread is now dedicated to all aussie shitposters, as your freedom of speech is no longer existent these days.
>>
>>75539318
>he called me names!
>3 years in jail are not enough for him
>I want life! Or even better, bring back the death penalty for hate speech!
Kikes and liberals like that are truly the scum of the earth
>>
>>75539362
>Words can hurt and cause a lot of damage and people need to recognise that they have to watch their words."
Wake me up.
>>
File: 1454967685327.png (156 KB, 270x270) Image search: [Google]
1454967685327.png
156 KB, 270x270
>>75539741
>>
>>75539741

Greetings friend.
>>
Describing Judaism with labels that can reasonably accurately apply the Jewish state is hate speech in Australia.
Good to know.
>>
Fucking hell, It's only a matter of time now that visiting /pol becomes a hate crime
>>
>>75539318
based australia
knows the difference between freedom of expression and hate speech
>>
Does anyone have the video? Because this sounds ridiculous.
>>
>>75539344
>but on future occasions it could be Muslims or Asians or any group, so we we should all be happy about this result."

Yeah nah fuck off, since when has racism against Asians ever been in the news. And it sure as hell is more common than against Jews.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.