[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Break down Common Core for me.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: commoncore.png (17 KB, 410x426) Image search: [Google]
commoncore.png
17 KB, 410x426
Can someone explain to me the entire story of Common Core. In a campusreform video they show a educator saying that common core was made to end white privilege, but theres barely any context to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ8Nr3_2724

Whats the deal with common core? The only thing i really know is the new way they teach addition
>>
>>75140512
common core is just standardized subject material. it doesn't end white privilege. It isn't Marxist brainwashing (if anything it's neoliberal brainwashing). It's just saying this is the math we teach at this grade, this is the science, this is the history, etc. Despite it being a Federal standard, it isn't very strict and varies state by state. They're very general guidelines.
>>
>>75140716
Why do some people hate it so much though?
>>
>>75140788
Because some people spaz out about everything.
>>
>>75140788
because it's not "the way they were taught" so when they see it and don't understand the process behind it they sperg out about how awful of a system it is.
>>
>>75140788
Mainly because of the mathematics section. Suffice it to say I work with kids and occasionally hear about it from their parents.

Think of it this way - you were taught to multiply one way, and it works. Kids in Asia were taught to multiply another way, and it works. Kids in Europe might've been taught to multiple a third way, and it works.

Common Core teaches kids to multiply in a way that is non-intuitive, overly convoluted, and time-consuming. In other words, kids in Common Core are being taught to multiply in a way that barely works.
>>
>>75140512
It was conceived, shilled for, and implemented by the world's Jewiest maximum overjew. It purposefully allows wrong answers to be considered right and right answers to be considered wrong in a shameless attempt to make kids dumber and more reliant on the government for knowledge. It's probably the worst horror our country has ever created in this millennium tbqh.
>>
>>75140716
have you looked at the common core shit relating to our government and our rights?

they redefine the 2nd amendment. its total kike propaganda.
>>
>>75140978
>>75141015
But Common Core doesn't say what how to teach the math, just when it just be known by. The convoluted math that people post pictures of and say "fuck common core" isn't common core. That's is actually how that state decided to teach in order to achieve common core standards. This is why so many people hate it without reason. They see something different and blame the Federal government program they don't understand instead of the state educational department.
>>
>>75141044
I would greatly appreciate a source or citation on that claim. I believe you, but I'd appreciate context.
>>
>>75141044
Again, it doesn't tell exactly what to teach, just when it should be known. So the common core standard might say "students of grade X are expected to know what the constitution is and the three branches of government and their function" for example. How that is interpreted is decided at the state level.

So blame you state for adopting textbooks you don't like. It's not Common Core that you have an issue with.

OP, notice how many people are complaining about it without even knowing what it even is. They just heard that it is "propaganda" and without even checking it out, decided that had to be true.
>>
>>75141192
I'd like a citation on that one too.

Or maybe I should just google it.
>>
Common Core
>what's 8+3?
>5+2+3
>add blood magic
>+1
>11

GRATS, YOU GRADUATED
>>
>>75140512
>Break down Common Core for me.

Idk I'm not in the second grade.
Now go to bed Timmy and don't forget to finish your homework. Ask your parents for a tutor not an X-Box and stop asking /pol/ for help with your school work, we don't know shit
>>
>>75141360
"he Common Core State Standards Initiative is an educational initiative in the United States that details what K–12 students should know in English language arts and mathematics at the end of each grade. "
First fucking line of the Wiki page. Common Core is about when things should be known, not how.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Core_State_Standards_Initiative

You'll also note by reading that page how common core adoption differs state by state, including the fact that some states haven't adopted it at all.
>>
>>75141786
Still would be interesting to see what each school district does
>>
>>75141880
If you say so. I mean there are 13,506 school districts according to the last census. If you feel like examining each curriculum district by district, grade by grade, be my guest. Seems tedious and mostly pointless to me.
>>
>>75141880
It'll be interesting to see how kids take on these complicated algebraic problems and what the outcome will be. I honestly wish i could have been taught this system as a kid and not have to deal with zombified teachers going through the motions. This new system would force the teacher to be just as engaged as the students, its new, fresh and more of a challenge than the old way
>>
>>75140716
>>75141044
Right now common core only covers math and literacy. All of the social studies or science stuff you have seen has nothing to do with common core.

Nothing in common core is new or revolutionary, the only controversy among people who actually know what they are talking about was over when something is covered in the standards.
>>
File: 1462858347467.jpg (212 KB, 842x674) Image search: [Google]
1462858347467.jpg
212 KB, 842x674
>>75142616
I believe what works is what works, and that we do the most effective way. If they can be taught something quickly I'd rather that.

The time saved can be used to teach the kids how to use think through problems in a way more effective format
>>
>>75143123
You don't even know what common core is let alone have any clue how to teach math to children so your thoughts on the matter ate pretty meaningless.
>>
Well this is definitely the most pro common core propaganda Ive seen on /pol/ in one thread.

Yes, Common Core is just an outline of what kids should know by what grade. People are angry at common core because they just don't understand what it's about! Now go back to watching TV like a good Goy
>>
>>75143418
But it's true. Most of the complaints about common core are about teaching practices that predate common core. Back when I was in school they called it "new math" but at some point it changed to "common core math."
>>
>>75143647
Also note that people complain about social studios in common core which doesn't even exist. These people have no clue what they are talking about.

It is also interesting that nobody is complaining about common core literacy standards.
>>
>>75143123
I dont agree, do you actually remember the crap we did in our spare time? What good did it do? Did it make us any smarter? Nope, it's good that time will be spent excersizing their minds. Take advantage of their ability to learn quickly and build up thier IQ, you took away the belt and with it the means to strengthen them.. so now you have replace that with another attribute, an analytical mind

Otherwise they'll be completely useless
>>
>>75140512
Common core slows down young white/asian kids by making them do math illogically.

It also subtly promotes leftist ideals, completely undetectable by children.
>pic related
>>
>>75144136
Maybe for them but us browns love a challenge
>>
>>75143123

that's exactly what common core is doing you idiot

It's teaching kids how numbers interact and generally how flexible they are and giving them a sense and understanding of numbers rather than forcing them to memorize it like a bunch of steps without any idea of what they're doing and how they can apply it to other problems in math.

CC is great as long as the teachers and the parents understand it too.Like one of the biggest problems I see is parents telling children that it's dumb and makes no sense and they won't ever use it and the kids listen and stop trying to understand it, then get frustrated when they try doing math purely by memorization.
>>
>>75140512

Most of the hate against Common Core system is that it seems counterintuitive. In a way, it is. A great deal of the people here, and its detractors in general, are capable of advanced math. Math almost comes intuitively to us, because we've been running with it for so long. We all have our own way of computing it, our own tricks and shortcuts, etc. Things we do inside our mind to turn the mindboggling into the simple, even if we don't realize they're there.

The problem is, we've all forgotten that there was a time we needed to be taught. Needed to be taught what the numbers represent, what an addition was, what a substraction was, etc. There was a time where none of it was intuitive because math is an abstraction.

Common Core is an attempt of taking math and making it intuitive. Explaining every step of every single exercise, no matter how superfluous it seems, teaching children shortcuts and easy ways to deal with, for them, intimidating exercises, and forcing language that makes it seem less intimidating.

They do this because they are convinced that everyone is capable of the same things, if only they were taught the right way. That the difference in outcome is only because of how it's taught. A noble goal.

Where it falls flat is that they take math, which is one huge thought exercise in creativity, and try to put it in a box, and then tell people to solve it inside that box. It is counterintuitive because they try to force intuition. This doesn't work because what's intuitive for me isn't intuitive for you. My tricks and shortcuts aren't your tricks and shortcuts, yours wouldn't make sense to me and vise versa.
In the end, it's math for the lowest common denominator. It helps those who sincerely cannot into math by teaching them set ways to get to the solution, even if they take it step by step and do it painfully slowly. (1/2)
>>
>>75144990
That isn't at all what common core is.
>>
>>75144242
Digging a trench with a spoon is also a challenge.
That does not make it more effective than using a bulldozer.
>>
Basically, they've already lowered the standards as much as possible, and nigs still arent getting it, so they're trying to teach by telling kids to do math in new, over convoluted fucked up ways that only make it more confusing, because public schools guarantee jobs for all the washed up old SJW sluts spat out by colleges who cant even imagine the possibility that liberalism isnt completely right and that all races might not be exactly the same
>>
Common core is just a scapegoat. Convenient excuse for American stupidity. The alternative is to admit that Americans are just getting inherently stupider.
>>
>>75140512
>>75144990

But for those who actually can understand math? The ones who take off flying the moment they understand what the numbers and symbols represent?
It stifles them. It kills their creativity and freedom. It kills the fun in math. It's a ball and chain.

They want to make their own paths, but they're not allowed to, often because their teachers themselves aren't good enough at math (I mean, have you -seen- the math courses elementary teachers get for themselves? They are fucking wet noodles), because they only need to understand the barest of arithmetics to get their degree, and they sometimes cannot follow their pupil's line of thought.

That is the problem with Common Core. It's a robust, strong system for teaching the barest basics to the slow kids.
Yet, somehow, it also gets enforced on the smart kids. Because the teachers are too lazy or hamstringed to provide extra, more challenging work.
In the end, though, the average grade goes up because there's more slow niglets than bright students, so to a bureaucrat, it's all good.
>>
>>75144565
The only kids who get the kinds of retarded problems this "common core" shit comes up with are the kids smart enough to understand problems not written in fucked up ways in the first place

Hell it seems to be harder than necessary, if anything
>>
>>75145272
>The alternative is to admit that Americans are just getting inherently stupider.

Because we're becoming more brown
>>
File: 1427161622891.jpg (119 KB, 1733x709) Image search: [Google]
1427161622891.jpg
119 KB, 1733x709
Shall I dump the usual common core shit or is everyone bored of seeing the same shit again and again?
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.