[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does pol think of GMO's?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7
C'mon, let's get some friendly bants in here. Obviously there will be a rift between yuropoors and americunts, but would you allow genetically modified organisms in your home country? Why or why not?

I personally have no issues with GMO's in general like muh cancer or anything, but I disdain any meme monsanto spouts in public as well as destroying the rich, heterogenous, diverse plantlife. Not to mention the hazard issue herbicide and pesticide products bring that are used in US. Gee, I wonder why 44% of honey bee population died in the last year alone.

What'cha guys think?
>>
>>74981580
Perfectly safe. There is no evidence or any reason to believe they are harmful to human health.
>>
>>74983119

>>74983119

This, although I'm not sure all GMOs are good. But yeah, ant-GMO is anti-science, only millennial hipster fucks are anti-GMO
>>
>>74983608
>only millennial hipster fucks are anti-GMO

nice generalization faggot
>>
>>74983608
everyone I know against gmos are in their 40s and up
same people that think global warming in nonsense
science doesnt mean shit to them
>>
>>74983119
I am both pro and cotnra (like most issues in this world)
I never heard of real facts or shit to suggest GMO s actually affect humans in a negative way but i did heard the argument that GMO plants can fuck up ecosystems due to their wierd genes to make them more productive. And not very many can deny that gmos can spread to other places unnintentionaly through natural methods so if gmos realy fuck up the enviorment we should be carefull with em.
>>
File: how_GR2.jpg (45 KB, 665x285) Image search: [Google]
how_GR2.jpg
45 KB, 665x285
>>74983119
This
>>
>>74981580
GMOs aren't bad imo. But the amount of pesticides are. Corn is pollinated by air, so the meme that gmo corn and soybeans are killing off bees is false. Can't say for sure on fruits. Best to keep GMOs out of fruit crops.

>>74984020
Anti-GMO is right up there with 100% green energy, communism(err...I'm mean.. Socalism), etc, progressives
>>
The real issue with GMO is crop patenting and terminator genes that companies like monsanto put into their seeds which forces farmers to constantly buy new seeds every harvest from monsanto.

The people who think it's about the 'adverse health risks' that think somehow giving a plant pesticides rather than lathering it onto them is somehow making a difference to their final product. The real issue is that we have a few mega corporations about to own the rights to plants.
>>
>>74981580
There's nothing inherently wrong with GMOs.

The problem is that modifications are usually made to make the plant more profitable to farm, not more healthy.

The very common modifications are for example ones that make it more resistant to pesticides, so more pesticides can be poured on them (and into the soil). And the pesticides ARE pretty harmful for humans.

Instead of becoming resistant, the plants are sometimes made to actually produce those chemicals which make them good at repelling weeds/insects/whatnot. These chemicals can also easily be harmful to humans.

In addition, a major part of the GMO industry is just using the genetic markers to trademark specific strains of a GMO and force farmers into a lot of legal bullshit.
>>
Eerily similar thread on the reddit front page now, folks.

https://www.rebbit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/4kukso/eli5_if_humankind_has_been_selecting_and_breeding/
>>
>>74984395
It's not like Monsanto is the only company that sells seeds. If a farmer doesn't want to but from Monsanto they are free to buy from another company or use unpatented seeds.
>>
>>74984395
>giving a plant pesticides rather than lathering it onto them is somehow making a difference to their final product.

The problem is you can use much stronger (and often harmful) varieties of pesticides on GMOs modified to be resistant to them.

The whole bee colony collapse syndrome was linked to the usage of some new variety of pesticides. And while those pesticide might be harmless for humans, they caused massive amounts of damage to the ecosystem (which cant be calculated though), and millions of dollars in losses to the honey industry.

I stand with the hipster fags here. Organic is the best variety of food. It just doesnt scale well and you cant feed entire earth with organic food unless you first cull it to like a few hundred millions.
>>
>>74981580
>44% of honey bee population died in the last year alone

;__;
>>
>>74984395
>which forces farmers to constantly buy new seeds every harvest from monsanto.
Buying seeds has been a standard farming practice for over 200 years now.
>>
>>74985231
I agree. I'm a beekeeper so I can tell the difference between my own honey and the one bought in supermarkets marketed as "honey from EU countries". It's total horseshit. No wonder bee colonies die en masse when they're exposed to so much pesticides.

>>74984395
>The real issue is that we have a few mega corporations about to own the rights to plants.

Yet trends indicate this will happen.
>>74985044
Actually saw it on kikebook when a friend shared it
>>
>>74984817
Herbicides, herbicide resistant. As pesticides already don't hurt plants.

>These chemicals can also easily be harmful to humans.

But are they? Nope.

So while it's easy for it to be true it's not. It's almost like poisoning people would cause a problem.
>>
>>74981580
I don't like GMOs, but if thats all there is, then fine.
>>
>>74986535
>poisoning the pollinators which bring food to the table
>fine

hope you like eating grass lad. It's what Ukrainians did in the Holodomor
>>
>>74984395
>terminator genes
I also used to believe the terminator tech was bad, because of the same argument you use. But after studying about the topic I realized three things:
-First: The "terminator technology" as we suppose is used isn't currently applied to comercial crops. Yes, it exist, but is not used in food crops (at least Monsanto, don't know for the other big seeders).
-Second: This kind of technology would, and note this WOULD, be useful if you're experimenting with plants that could be really dangerous in the wild because of various reasons. Kind of a failsafe mechanism.
-Third: If I, a thirld world farmer, want to use some new seed from the Big Company, and they tell to me this I'm going to replace them every year, would I like to purchase those new, unknown seeds or use these old seeds my family kept using every year since my grandad started living here?

Also they don't gain rights to the plants. Nobody in the planet can patent a living organism unless you made some from scratch like Craig Venter did.
What Monsanto and the other seeders do is to insert a single gene in a easily modifiable variety of plant and then start breeding this genetically modified plant A (called event) with another productive variety B and sell the descendants of the breeding in the Nth generation.
They don't sell the modified plant itself, because albeit being much more editable (due a lot of reasons) it won't produce like the field plant, at least not in thousands of years of traditional plant breeding.
>>
They aren't all great for you and natural is generally better but the only way we can currently sustain our current population is by using them.
>>
File: yolo.jpg (22 KB, 604x313) Image search: [Google]
yolo.jpg
22 KB, 604x313
>>74987559
Also i think the definition of the term is to broad, selectively bred is different than pumping something full of hormones.
>>
Domestic crops have been genetically engineered for 100's of years. What is the problem?
>>
people are anti-GMO because of shady business practices, not health concerns.
>>
>>74985044
Rebbit? Is this a phishing site or a malware distributor?
>>
GMO Frankenfood should remain banned in Europe. Fuck that Yank shite.
>>
>>74988023
Also fucking this!
Monsanto is shady to say the least.
>>
>>74984817
Are you the genetic engineer Russia-Bro, Max?
>>
File: farms.jpg (280 KB, 805x1056) Image search: [Google]
farms.jpg
280 KB, 805x1056
>>74988140
The banning of GMO is simply protectionism for smaller less efficient EU farmers, forcing higher food costs on the EU.

The EU can't ban imports of food, but they can ban GMOs under a false health concern.

Pic related.
>>
>>74981580

GMO doesn't have to be bad but it's basically used as weaponized food so far which is extracting corporate welfare from the public by preying on their vice and bad habits

why didn't they just engineer a blade of grass that only grew to a specific height? then people would love GMO and we could engineer foods that eradicate people and get away with it, another instance where poor marketing led to a product being less useful due to lack of faith in product longevity
>>
>>74981580
>Not to mention the hazard issue herbicide and pesticide products bring that are used in US.
You realise gmos promote a decreased pesticide consumption right?
>>
>>74986250
>But are they? Nope.

go drink some glyphosate then
>>
>>74987559
>the only way we can currently sustain our current population is by using them.

I say we could sustain our population better by letting niggers starve and cutting farm subsidies to corn so the Mexicans will go home

if people can't feed themselves they don't need to eat
>>
>>74988023
>people are anti-GMO because of shady business practices, not health concerns.

no they cause autism and cancer and shit
>>
>>74988869
Learn to read. The context was the natural pesticides created in greater amount in the GM plants.
>>
>>74981580
If it cooks the same, tastes the same, and doesn't kill me it's perfectly fine besides I am not a farmer if I cared so damn much on where my food came from I would be. In general if you don't like something put the work in to change it otherwise shut up and eat your vegetables.
>>
>>74988406
That green is grass for silage, grass fed cattle is best cattle.
>>
File: sure.jpg (101 KB, 886x814) Image search: [Google]
sure.jpg
101 KB, 886x814
>>74988793
>inb4 you attack me for citing a hipster tree hugging bullshit website

http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2015/gmos-and-pesticides/

>>74989310
I'm not saying it's due to GMO's, but have you tasted european food? Your food is tasteless 2bh senpai.
>>
>>74989321
>That green is grass for silage, grass fed cattle is best cattle.
You missed the point. Look at the size of the fields.

Do you think farmers in North America use larger fields because it's less efficient?
>>
>>74988793
>>74989440
my bad, actually herbicide use has gone up while pesticide use went down.
>>
>>74989450
It doesn't matter what size the fields are. How many you have is what matters. They are the size and shape they are for a reason, it's a parcel of land that has a value.
>>
>>74981580
Jews say GMO is not kosher. So it's for cattle and goys. All you need to know really.
>>
>>74990118
Religious zealots reject progress, more news at 10.
>>
>>74990285
Monsanto is owned by jews though. But ok, be a good goy and eat this stuff that is not even labeled.
>>
GMO's are for gloablists

Natioanlists grow domestic and don't poison their people.

Some GMO's are ok but not most though
>>
>>74988406
That's a pretty cool pic. Shows how much larger the US is for one.

Do you know of any documentary or good article comparing farming in the US and Europe?
>>
I'm not against GMOs but I think those who don't use them (this goes for farming) should have the upper hand, aka, a farmer cultivating GMOs should be regulated so that he doesn't interfere with those who don't in the nearby area.

As far as the supermarkets, let the market decide. Personally I would mostly chose natural/organic fruit, vegetable, etc.
>>
>>74981580
The problem with GMOs is that people behave as if this is the worst thing Monsanto ever did to the world. It's really not, it has its controversies but it is simply a shitty turd in a cornucopia of diarrhea.

See: Monsanto polluting the fuck out of Aniston, Alabama. They used a dummy company called Solutia to shield themselves of any responsibility to pay for damages to the people/environment. There are many other shitty things Monsanto has done but typically the company will handwave away the blame by claiming that the shitty things were done by totally different people (which is not entirely true). I would read about DDT, Agent Orange, PCBs, and that one hormone dealio they came up with to better understand what this company has done for the sake of profits. They mainly focus on biotechnology now.
>>
File: image.png (486 KB, 862x544) Image search: [Google]
image.png
486 KB, 862x544
>>74991905
DDT is good to stop Zika Virus

GMO is bad because it clogs your brain

Alex Jones told me so and has good pills and water philters to keep you healthy
>>
>>74981580
The science of GMOs is fine, the ability to copyright them should be outlawed.
>>
>>74992222
>.02$ has been deposited to your Paypal account by Monsanto Company Inc.
>>
Shills out in full force as usual.
>>
File: image.png (723 KB, 1184x666) Image search: [Google]
image.png
723 KB, 1184x666
>>74993912
This

Just trust noone and ask yourself: do you want to eat what humans have naturally eaten for thousands of years or do you want to eat jewishly manufactures products possibly designed to get shekels out of you?
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.