[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Atheism a religion?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 58
File: Screenshot_35.png (44 KB, 616x362) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_35.png
44 KB, 616x362
What does /pol/ think?
>>
I recommend looking at this guy's recent tweets
>>
>>74951758
No.
>>
If you want to call science and logic a religion, then sure.
>>
I have the feeling that a lot of people become atheist just to feel superior to others
>>
>>74951758
Sure it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeVzvcSCiDM
>>
File: 1438168434603.jpg (44 KB, 500x294) Image search: [Google]
1438168434603.jpg
44 KB, 500x294
>>74951928
>>
It's all ideology anyway idk why people get so bent out of shape about labels
>>
>>74951758
It's not but some idiots treat it like one.
>>
>>74951928
>tfw you realize every atheist is mainly against the religion of their parents and mostly ignorant of the others
>>
>>74951758
It's an irreligious cult with all the worst aspects of religious cults.
>>
>>74951758
sort of, because of >>74951928

retards say they're atheist and yet are all sorts of superstitious, which is just as mystical as gawd stuff
>>
Atheism is a religion that will get raped by a agressively expanding religion, like islam
>>
>>74951920
Science and logic have nothing to do with atheism though.
>>
>>74951758
>Religion
Not what atheism is
>>74951920
>science and logic
Not what atheism is
>>
Hello my name is not John.
I do not live in New York.
My hobbies are not picking stamps, not skiing and not listening to rap.
And my religion is atheism.
>>
>>74951920
>repeatedly afirming something wich can not be proved
>not faith
>>
>>74951758
From the perspective of a religious person, the belief that there is nothing sacred, and that all that is unknown can be made known by science and logic, is a religion.
>>
>>74952121
you don't have to know about other religions in order not to believe in theism
>>
Yeah.
And international waters is a country
>>
>>74952191
Well at least we know his religion
>>
>>74952191
Exactly, your religion is not God.

Glad we cleared that up.
>>
>>74951758
>make a short statement in an argument with proper character case and punctuation
>don't provide any explanation to feel superior
>be edgy atheist
>>
File: 5VJ5Yvu.png (644 KB, 849x603) Image search: [Google]
5VJ5Yvu.png
644 KB, 849x603
>>74951758
Logical Positivist new atheism is a religion

Lack of belief in a god is not
>>
>>74951758
Yes, it is a watered down form of Judaism.
>>
Atheism is the flat denial of a god, not simply an absence of religion.

That's why there's agnostic atheism and agnostic theism. Two very different things.
>>
>>74951758
Define religion first.
>>
>>74952128
>athiesm
>cult
Not what atheism is
>>74952141
>superstition
>atheism
Unrelated to atheism

>>74952203
>the belief that there is nothing sacred, and that all that is unknown can be made known by science

Not what atheism is

Why does /pol/ fail so hard at this?
>>
Behold: atheism the religion:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoicism
>>
>>74951758
Unfortunately, for many people it is.
>>
>>74951758
Atheism means a lack of religion

Theism is someone who holds a belief in God

A-theism with the prefix a means that it's the opposite
>>
>>74951758
To the self proclaimed and adamant athiest
Yes they treat atheism as a religion abd are very fanatical about it. Its not about reason or scientific inquiry, it is simply the mindset of "my idology is superior to yours and you are dumb for believing in anything different from myself". Fuckers won't be satisfied until their paradigm is the only one left existing, well at least until Western religions are no longer existing at least.
>>
>>74951920
Could you be any more stereotypical? Science, theology and religion have always been tightly interwoven.
>>
>>74952326
Gnostic atheism and agnostic theism are rare and more retarded than the other two, so we don't usually consider them.
>>
>>74952421
>Could you be any more stereotypical?

right back at you
>>
>>74951758
If your an autist that can't recognize trends and correlations, and instead uses word play and strict, but unrelatable practicality, definitions... Then no.

In the same way the word, "God", takes on a plethora of meanings(not specific to Christanity), as well as the fact there are over 40,000 Christian denominations, but Athiest memes never talk about which one.... So too does the word Athiest imply certain indirect behaviour that could classify it as a belief system.
>>
There are atheist churches in Britain and atheists all over behave as if it's a religion, so yes.
>>
if you are indifferent to religion you are irreligious
if you actively believe there is no god and you wear a fedora and worship dawkins as the messiah you are an atheist
>>
>>74951758

I think of New Atheism more of like a cult

Leftism is their religion
>>
>>74952544
All scotts are drunks: the post
>>
>>74952498
>If your an autist that can't recognize trends and correlations, and instead uses word play and strict, but unrelatable practicality, definitions... Then no.

>hurp durp I'm retarded and I like to make up shit
>>
>>74951758
It's not, but some people treat it like it is.
I personally think religious practices are totally useless except as a soothing action for troubled people, and that religious institutions do more harm than good. But I don't particularly care to attack people over it or constantly proselytize that there's no god.
>>
>>74952647
>scotts
all nigels have tea and scones.
>>
File: 1335397987912.jpg (65 KB, 444x650) Image search: [Google]
1335397987912.jpg
65 KB, 444x650
>>74951758
Atheism belongs to the religion of the left. Leftists worship academia. Their saints are professors with names like Cohen, Rabinowitz, and GoldbergShekelstein.
>>
>>74952005
I'm an atheist myself you nigger
>>
>>74951758
no No No NO NO NO NO.

If you disagree.
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>74951758
anarchy is a government type :^)
>>
File: 1299393510270.jpg (59 KB, 387x357) Image search: [Google]
1299393510270.jpg
59 KB, 387x357
Anything is better than being an ironic/cultural christian. Only contrarian children now pretend to believe in god.
>>
>>74952740
Just shows how butthurt christians STILL are over the anal destruction they suffered over the past 15 years
>>
No. Atheism is the absence of theism. Theism being the belief in a god or gods defined by an external religious body of work.

Examples of atheism:
>deism
The belief in a non-interventionalist but nevertheless all-powerful creator entity.
>pantheism
The belief in the existence of multiple divine beings each with their own areas of expertise/governance but without particular ordained characteristics.
>antitheism
The positive belief in a lack of any gods or otherwise divine beings.
>>
File: 1348336793007s.jpg (8 KB, 229x250) Image search: [Google]
1348336793007s.jpg
8 KB, 229x250
>>74952688
>I personally
>>74952688
>I don't particularly care
pol is not your personal blog. GTFO my pol, fuckin' normie millennial newfag.
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>74952894
>the anal destruction they suffered over the past 15 years
you lost me there, anon. explain yourself
>>
>>74952981
>>the anal destruction they suffered over the past 15 years
>you lost me there, anon. explain yourself
Rise of dawkins and new atheists trolled the fuck out of christians everywhere. Christians still mad about god being compared to santa clause
>>
Atheism is not believing in any religion, theism is believing in a religion. Therefore atheism is not a religion. There's no need to find other retarded sub-ideologies such as agnostic-theism or whatever.

If anyone uses logic for a second, they'll know the answer. It's unbelievable that you guys are still discussing it.
>>
>>74953065
Either b8 or someone who doesn't get out much
>>
>>74951758
>tfw used to watch and enjoy this guys videos
Now he's a liberal cuck. Feels bad, man.
>>
>>74952666
Words evolve over time anon. Insisting that simply because the classical term "Athiest" means a lack of Gods, does not mean it is not a religion.

Theism Is a theory, it is in no way dependent on following one religion or another(some Relgions don't have Gods you know ;) ). Yet it is correlated with religion by yourself and others.

So to, has Athiesm become correlated with a certain dogma of beliefs as Theism has.

But I don't expect you understand this, cause once again autism.
>>
In simple practical talks atheism is not a religion, but if you wanna get fancy "hurrrr murrrrr i want cock" you need to look from a philosophical point of view and understand what religion exactly means. Atheism is not organized religion. Atheists in fact strive to stay away from it.
>>
>>74951758
Asserts claims which cannot be directly proved, gather the books of idolized figures and spread their words as the truth. Will defend their belief that there are no gods, will spin this statement into "it's not a belief that there is no god, it's a lack of belief" >muh spin. they will Deny that other people could be right, that superiority complex that comes with religion. has a symbol which they have requested to be put up at the 9-11 monument because muh seperation of church and state

it's a religion. because the people who follow the ideals made it into one.
>>
>>74953078
>If anyone uses logic for a second

Conundrum - religious people cannot properly do this :^)
>>
>>74953216
That's why it's not a religion, it's an ideology.
>>
Well, it can be. Jainism is a religion but it's an atheist one. I'd say that there's been hints of something like that forming in society regarding militant atheists.
>>
File: 1361358257514.png (489 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1361358257514.png
489 KB, 800x800
>>74952906
No, britbong, that's why your country is being overrun by Third Worlders -- because you're totally clueless and naively innocent about the sinister workings of the jew.
Helpful Hint: Atheism is the dogma of the left and they use it to demoralize and indoctrinate young impressionable white children with self-loathing white guilt.
Rejecting the religion, culture and traditions of your ancestors is critical to our plan if we're going to blur the definition of gender and encourage kids to embrace sexual deviancy, muh weed, muh fag marriage, and blanda upp race-mixing beastiality.
>>
>>74953196
It's absolutely true. The ideological flame war rages on to this day. I doubt they'll ever get over it.

Atheism is obviously not a religion. Any moron can see that. This thread is just B8
>>
>>74952351
>unrelated
it's not unrelated when their superstitions equate to divine intervention and boil down to a god. derple.
>>
Technically no, but it's practically become one. Which is part of why I call it a religion.
>>
>>74953383
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nontheistic_religions
>>
File: 0.jpg (73 KB, 511x573) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
73 KB, 511x573
>>74951817
Finland with yellow id tag.
i think it suits you.
>>
The way some Athiests act you would think so, it's not inherently, but some Athiests are as bad or worse then christ cucks.
>>
>>74953397
What the fuck are you even talking about lmao

Retarded illuminati fanboys like you always talk like there's a purpose behind things that are "corrupt", such as TV, smartphones, or new ideologies. Seriously grow the fuck up you autistic manchild.

>>74953521

you once again proved that you're super autistic, it has nothing to do with what I said

Atheism is denying both creator and religion, so religions without gods are irrelevant.
>>
It's impossible to be an atheist and overall happy. I have tried it.
>>
>>74953397
Sorry, but marxism is just as much as a religion as your preferred flavour of cuckstianity.

>Christ is a new man. The new man is the soviet man. Therefore, Christ is a soviet man.
-Patriarch Justinian Marina

European traditions predate and have survived Christian purgation and will only continue to do so as long as we resist all forms of Judaism.
>>
>>74952351
>Not what atheism is

Oh really.

Explain the perpetual denunciation sessions for non-(non-believers).

Explain the unabashed elitism that allows someone as autistic and lowly as Amazing Atheist to imagine he is superior to believers.

Explain this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAo_rEgR4xU

Perhaps you are right. It's theoretically possible to be atheist without being a cultist, but there can be no denying there are many prominent atheists who are in fact cultists.

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the tell-tail signs of cult-like behavior.

Google is a thing, you know.
>>
>>74953701

If your life has no other meaning, then sure.

I haven't been happier though
>>
>>74953701
Actually, it's only possible to be happy, or at least content, when you reject theism. Liberty is the summum bonum and true liberty is impossible under an imaginary celestial dictatorship.
>>
File: 1337245590481.jpg (366 KB, 1070x2291) Image search: [Google]
1337245590481.jpg
366 KB, 1070x2291
>>74953401
>Atheism is obviously not a religion
>>74953383
>it's not a religion, it's an ideology.
>>74953242
>atheism is not a religion
>>74953078
>atheism is not a religion
>>74953065
>atheists trolled the fuck out of christians
>>74952906
>Atheism is the absence of theism
>>74952775
>I'm an atheist
>>74952688
>religious practices are totally useless
>>74952401
>Atheism means a lack of religion
>>74952326
>there's agnostic atheism and agnostic theism

Atheism is a tool of the left used for controlling the minds of idiot college kids. Jews push this shit to encourage promiscuity, race-mixing, homosexuality, tranny degeneracy, and many other ways of rejecting of social norms and moral values.
>>
>>74953401
atheism is not a religion but Atheism is.
>>
>>74951758
This is why I don't say I'm an atheist
>>
>>74951758
Atheism is the absence of believe in higher deities aka in religion(s). Ergo no.
theist/pol/lacks can go suck a nut if they don't like it.-
>>
>>74953701
Well, if there's one thing that we can take comfort in, it's that we can arbitrarily improve our lives just by makebelieving the things that trouble us away.
>>
>>74952906
Maybe
>proceeds to appropriate examples of Theism as Atheism
Then its not Atheism faggot that's Agnosticism. Atheism is the rejection of Theism, the conclusion and upholding there is no metaphysical entity.
>>
>>74953903
Yet you, as a christian, quite literally worship a cuckold born of cuckolding. Do go on about how atheism is degenerate though.
>>
>>74953903
Retarded illuminati fanboys like you always talk like there's a purpose behind things that are "corrupt", such as TV, smartphones, or new ideologies. Seriously grow the fuck up you autistic manchild.
>>
>>74953856
You've obviously never had anyone close to you pass away. To know they are in heaven is the greatest feeling and relief of all.
>>
>>74953745
What you're recognizing is group dynamics. When one group attacks another group, the members of both groups get pushed closer together. They become allies.

Of course, being allies or enemies based on a category isn't a religion.

Although it is a sign of a group.
>>
Of course it's a religion. Just look at its high priests: pope neil degrasse tyson, bishop michio kaku, cardinal bill nye the science cuck, and we can't forget Saint Sagan (may his fedora never stop tipping).
>>
>>74951758
No but most atheists are as idiotic as the religious extremists they gain ego boosts from.
>>
>>74953994
>Then its not Atheism faggot that's Agnosticism. Atheism is the rejection of Theism, the conclusion and upholding there is no metaphysical entity.

Please, stop.

Agnosticism isn't a middle-man/mutually-exclusive; and [rational] Atheism doesn't uphold that there is no "metaphysical entity" because it's impossible to prove/disprove -- thus, making such a claim is nonsensical since it's objective.
>>
>>74953903
Those societal norms are the end all be all REEEEEEEEEE.
>>
>>74954006
cuckold is a husband of adulterous wife
not child born of adultery
get your memes figured out ahmed
>>
>>74953994
Agnosticism is an admission of doubt. It's not a theological position and never will be. Keep calling yourself agnostic because you're afraid of anonymous people on the internet calling you names though.

None of the examples I mentioned have an official body of theology; the necessary and sufficient condition for a theism.
>>
>>74953673
Your playing into my argument now.
>The word atheism comes from the Greek language. It can be divided into a- (ἄ), a Greek prefix meaning "without", and theos (θεός), meaning "god", and recombined to form "without gods" or "godless". In Ancient Greece it also meant "impious".
The orginal meaning simply meant, no God(s). Nothing to do with religion, that was tacked on as the word evolved(as stated before, Athiesm* has evolved into a religion).

The Hindus(which was just a collection of differing ideas) orginal Buddhism had no God, but instead a set of certain beliefs. They were a religion.

A Christian considers what they practice, not just another "religion", but infact the truth.

Athiesm(and numerous implied beliefs that come with that) easily qualifies as a Religion, a Relgion they consider "truth".

>b-but it really is the truth!
If only 1 statement about the implied* beliefs of a Athiest*, is proven wrong(which it has happened before), then ARE INFACT A RELGION.
>>
>>74953401
>Atheism is obviously not a religion
it most certainly is atheism is not the disbelief in religion, its the disbelief in a supernatural god, and religion does not equal the belief in a god. Religion can be any organized ideology which is held fervently by its followers. In that regard atheism( as practiced by the adamant atheists) can most certainly cataloged as such.

Also Christians are almost certainly upset not at the immature comparisons made by 15 year old atheists online comparing their God to Santa Claus, but rather the atheists crusade in whipping out any and all traces of Christian culture ingrained into western civilization (i.e. telling state institutions to remove nativity scenes during Christmas, or the more recent case of trying to remove the imagery of a catholic from the seal of Los Angeles despite its historic importance)
>>
>>74951758
Yeah, they worship the government as a God.

On average of course, not every Atheist is like this but most are.
>>
>>74951758
can the absence of spaghetti be considered a pasta?
>>
There are two things that atheists all have in common:

>they don't take the notion of deities seriously
>they hate each other just as much as they hate theists
>>
>>74951758
>Is Atheism a religion?

Not the way I play it.
>>
>>74951758
I don't even want to be an atheist. It's not a choice, I just can't help not believing.

If I had to describe myself, I'd probably even forget to mention that I'm an atheist, and if I didn't forget, I'd also add that I'm culturally Christian.
>>
>>74954162
Joseph, who you worship as a saint, was cuckolded by YHWH, who you worship as a god, into giving birth to a man, who you believe is also YHWH, who was cuckolded by the Jews through two millennia of lying and lecherous 'theology'.
>>
File: Screenshot_129.jpg (48 KB, 594x465) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_129.jpg
48 KB, 594x465
>>74954085

using religious memes
>>
Is atheism a system of belief? Yes?

It's a religion.
>>
File: atheists02.jpg (189 KB, 572x708) Image search: [Google]
atheists02.jpg
189 KB, 572x708
Ever notice how atheists are quick to criticize every other religion but never criticize islam? Atheism is a subset of islam meant for muslims' slaves.

Thus it is no surprise only the lowest dregs of humanity consider themselves atheist.
>>
>>74954256
>He thinks the war on Christmas has anything to do with atheists

You're looking under the wrong kippah, friend.
>>
>>74954142
>You're wrong because that's not my special snowflake brand of Atheism
Recognition of the divine/metaphysical/all powerful instantly puts you in the Agnostic camp.

Atheists are at the end of the day anti-theists by simple reason they do not accept the possibility of the existence of the non-physical.
>>
>>74951758
It is. Atheism is a believe in absense of deities.
Agnosticism is a position of actual unbelief.
>>
>>74954389
>Is atheism a system of belief?
I don't believe it is.
>>
>>74952906

No it fucking isn't. The fact that the word atheism sounds like the word theism is basically a coincidence. The etymologies of the two words are unrelated except that they both ultimately derive from the greek word Theos. But they were invented independently. The word atheism actually predates the word theism by a century.

>The term "atheism" originated from the Greek ἄθεος (atheos), meaning "without god(s)", used as a pejorative term applied to those thought to reject the gods worshiped by the larger society.
>>
>>74951758
atheism is a spiritual belief. atheists still have spiritual beliefs. atheism is a religion.

>>74954275
well, they believe that there is no spaghetti, but its still acknowledging that spaghetti is pasta.
>>
>>74954338
christians do not worship saints
>>
>>74951758
Atheism is a religion that denies the existence of God or a Maker / Creator. That is all there is to it.
>>
>>74951758
It's a religion without a dogma.
>freethinker society
>communists
etc. They share the world view, but not values.

The world view is cancer, by the way.
>>
>>74954409
>Ever notice how atheists are quick to criticize every other religion but never criticize islam?
No, because I do every goddamn day.
>>
>>74951758
Is baldness a haircut?
>>
>>74951758
sure why not. its the religion of peace. we can just columbus that shit and muslims can be crazy goat fuckers. every one wins
>>
>>74954338
REKT
>>
>>74951758
Atheism isn't supposed to be a religious, it's supposed to be a lack of belief in a god or gods. The problem is in places like America liberals have hijacked the name to push a feminist, racial, homosexual, transgender and other SJW agenda.

I've been an atheist my whole life, never believed for a second. These people have ruined the word to the extent I don't want to be identified with them. It's not a fucking ideology and they've turned it into one.
>>
>>74954142
This logical fallacy...

If something is impossible to prove, it's usually just disproven, automatically.

The only reason religions are not being disproven in seconds is because there are too many people believing in them.

Other than religions, every "fact" gets shit on immediately if it can't be proven.

Before you say, even bigbang theory is not and never was considered a fact, it's just a theory. Many atheists doesn't believe it because there simply aren't any proofs for it.

>>74954231

The fact that beliefs of atheists can be proven wrong is exactly why it's not a religion. Religion cannot be proved wrong according to their rules because they are dogmas.

>>74954389

go throw that brain into a trashcan

>>74954409

I'm Turkish and I'm not only Atheist but also Islamophobic

>>74954512

Good analogy.
>>
>>74954266

You are being silly. If anything an atheist would lean towards annti establishmrnt or anarchy. 'Worshiping the government' indeed
>>
>>74954421
Agnosticism has nothing to do with that you believe, only with whether or not you're certain that what you believe is true. You can be an agnostic Christian or an agnostic atheist.
>>
>>74954492
I'm sorry but the vast majority of Christians do, indeed, worship saints.
>>
File: 0803-nathan-1.jpg (53 KB, 229x304) Image search: [Google]
0803-nathan-1.jpg
53 KB, 229x304
Ok I've got a counter argument for atheism being s religion.

atheism is not a religion, my proof?
>all atheists have autism.
>autism is not a religion.

So we come to the conclusion that:
>atheism is autism.
>atheism is a mental birth defect.
>>
>>74951928
No, it's mostly because others are atheists.
The higher ups / elites became atheists because it allows them to be degenerate and irresponsible.
The lower classes became atheists because communist agitators told them to be such, and the middle class became atheist because they copy the elites or the plebs.
>>
>>74954256
>Religion can be any organized ideology which is held fervently by its followers. In that regard atheism( as practiced by the adamant atheists) can most certainly cataloged as such.

What's the organized ideology?
The canadian above posted a link to a bunch of atheistic religions that have completely different ideologies.
"I don't believe in god" isn't a religion any more than "i believe in the right to self defense" is a religion.

>Also Christians are almost certainly upset not at the immature comparisons made by 15 year old atheists online comparing their God to Santa Claus, but rather the atheists crusade in whipping out any and all traces of Christian culture ingrained into western civilization (i.e. telling state institutions to remove nativity scenes during Christmas, or the more recent case of trying to remove the imagery of a catholic from the seal of Los Angeles despite its historic importance)
I pretty much agree with you here. Although I think it was a combination of the two.
>>
>>74954548
>Go throw that brain into a trashcan

I'll throw it in Turkey and accomplish the same thing you fucking Ottoman rape baby. Reconquest of Constantinople when??
>>
>>74951812
reddit fag confirmed, caught using reddit tactics
>>
File: super bong.jpg (238 KB, 701x923) Image search: [Google]
super bong.jpg
238 KB, 701x923
>>74951928
How do you "become" atheist if its not a belief? Wouldn't your model assume by default people are "atheist" and convert?
>>
I'm religious atheist.

Kek is so omnipotent that he can both exist and not exist simultaneously.
>>
>>74954578
no, you honor saints or venerate or whatever
you worship god
it's not equivalent
>>
File: atheism autism.png (923 KB, 1239x688) Image search: [Google]
atheism autism.png
923 KB, 1239x688
Atheism is a mental illness linked to autism.
>>
>>74954409
ever notice how many religious people like this guy make all of their points by "muh feelings" instead of by facts?
>>
>>74954548
And yet we still have Communist Marxists like you running around, trying the failed State experiment, over and over again.
>but I'm not a Leftist!
And not all Christian denominations believe in God.

Yet because the majority do, that's considered a given.
>>
>>74954177
>Official body of Theology
Theism is not the exclusivity of organised religion.
>>
>>74954548
>Before you say, even bigbang theory is not and never was considered a fact, it's just a theory. Many atheists doesn't believe it because there simply aren't any proofs for it.

You're confusing the scientific and lay definitions of theory. The big bang is a theory in the scientific sense; it's a collection of ideas that fit the current evidence and may be used to make testable predictions about the universe.
>>
>>74954705
>discussing systems of beliefs using facts

This is why atheists are retarded.
>>
>>74953701
Not an argument, your life just sucks.
>>
>>74954635

Hahaha the fact that you think I'd get offended is funny. I don't care about this shithole of a country so don't bother
>>
>>74954663
atheism is the belief that there is no god.

it implies faith, and therefore is a religion.
>>
File: rainbowmap.png (292 KB, 1191x842) Image search: [Google]
rainbowmap.png
292 KB, 1191x842
>>74953903
>rejecting of social norms and moral values
>not catholicism
Your cuck pope wouldn't agree, nor would the kike you worship.
>>
>>74954780
I am not discussing systems of belief.. im saying he made a claim clearly not backed by facts (the claim that atheists protect islam)
>>
File: img_2176.jpg (48 KB, 675x512) Image search: [Google]
img_2176.jpg
48 KB, 675x512
Only smart thing Maher ever said
>>
>>74954694
If you believe it's divine and ask it to do your dirty work before bed how can you be considered to not be worshiping it?
>>
>>74954578
Latria-exclusive to God
Dulia-exclusive to Saints
>>
>>74954808
fuck that pagan...and fuck stupid ass atheists.
>>
>>74954770
People usually associate atheism with big bang theory that's why I felt like saying that.
>>
File: how dum athemists are.png (531 KB, 800x1188) Image search: [Google]
how dum athemists are.png
531 KB, 800x1188
>>74954829
No one except atheists have ever whined about "islamophobia". They're cucks.
>>
>>74954853
>ask it to do your dirty work
have you ever prayed a day in your life?
>>
>>74954917
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vln9D81eO60
>>
>>74954745
It really is. If you've got a body of theological work you've got a theism.
>>
>>74954802
Do you also still believe in Santa Claus because you don't have the necessary evidence to disprove his existence?
>>
>>74954917
I'm not only an atheist but also Islamophobic.
>>
File: religion.jpg (728 KB, 1500x2104) Image search: [Google]
religion.jpg
728 KB, 1500x2104
>>74954873
>ad hominem
Keep worshiping lies and dead jews.
>>
To everyone above me: science and religion are compatible because they answer different questions.

Religion (of any kind) seeks to explain who we are and what our purpose is. Science looks for physical explanations of how the world works.

There's no reason the two can't be compatible with each other.
>>
File: damagecontrol.jpg (21 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
damagecontrol.jpg
21 KB, 300x300
>>74954929
>>74954988
>baww I've been exposed so I better make up lies!
spoken like a true atheshit
>>
>>74954576
>Mexican Intellectuals
Agnosticism is very much relevant to what you believe. If you are certain of your belief then you are implying you are certain of your belief and there can be no implication to the contrary.

But if say you are uncertain in your unbelief. You are implicitly acknowledging you do not subscribe to unbelief merely you are uncertain of what/who to believe in.
>>
>>74954917
>No one except atheists have ever whined about "islamophobia". They're cucks.

Why do you guys refuse to research your positions? Is it because you make all of your arguments by "muh feels"?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ian-mevorach/muhammad-as-spirit-of-tru_b_9389642.html

https://newrepublic.com/article/108856/growing-christian-movement-pushing-back-against-islamophobia

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2015/0729/Moving-beyond-suspicion-Muslims-and-Evangelicals-seek-common-ground

https://www.paulist.org/the-conversation/how-can-christians-respond-to-islamophobia/
>>
File: what the shit.jpg (24 KB, 289x318) Image search: [Google]
what the shit.jpg
24 KB, 289x318
>>74951928
Possible.

But I know that I've had this reaction face since the first time I was ever introduced to the notion of an eternal ghostly figure lurking over a universe of his own creation and being frustrated with the irony inherent to it.

And back in the early 90's, there was no internet around to find people who thought that shit was absurd, so I actually believed that "atheists" were people who were deceived by Satan. Since the notion of Satan seemed just as ridiculous, I wasn't aware that my reaction to this horseshit was called "atheism" until I discovered a religious debate community on Yahoo! chat when I was 16 years old.
>>
>>74955054
Have I been exposed? Haha

Doesn't it make sense that I'm Islamophobic? I live in Turkey.
>>
File: tumblr_o6nu8xObtS1qcwgxao1_500.png (294 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o6nu8xObtS1qcwgxao1_500.png
294 KB, 500x500
>>74954575
That's what would be logical but I just don't see it in my day to day life. Most "strong" atheists I know are actually socialists and progressives.

http://ffrf.org/images/SURVEYMONKEY.pdf

Then there was the whole Communism thing.
>>
>>74955028
False, religion is belief based on nothing, science is based on experiments that can be repeated and so proven, also theories.
>>
>>74954924
No, because I prefer to act instead of asking my imaginary friends to act for me.

If you pray for actions in the material world you are, by definition, asking your imaginary friend to do your dirty work. Not many christians, by my estimate, pray to Saint Theresa to fight harder in the war against the devil.
>>
>>74954953
santas exists in that each and every christmas, parents choose to give their children gifts, telling their kids that it wasnt them who gave it to them.

>>74955028
this. science without religion lacks direction. religion without science lacks reason.
>>
>>74955054

the liberals you hate also hate the atheists you hate.

http://www.salon.com/2015/09/23/extremism_islamophobia_and_taking_new_atheists_seriously_how_liberals_can_critique_fundamentalism_while_avoiding_xenophobia/

http://www.salon.com/2013/03/30/dawkins_harris_hitchens_new_atheists_flirt_with_islamophobia/

http://www.middleeasteye.net/columns/why-us-non-believers-must-reject-islamophobic-new-atheism-397694650
>>
>>74951758
Well it's all just Abrahamic religion sans YHWH, they're universalist as fuck and try to force a form of objective morality on everyone so yes. They're a kike based religion.
>>
>>74951758

Is bald a hair style?
>>
>>74955158
https://www.vice.com/print/new-atheism-needs-to-get-out-of-its-old-rut

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/apr/03/sam-harris-muslim-animus

http://theislamicmonthly.com/new-atheists-and-the-same-old-islamophobia/
>>
>>74955028
>To everyone above me: science and religion are compatible because they answer different questions.

That's true for some religions, I guess; but there's usually some overlap.

Metaphysics is the rightful place of religion... But in practice it spills over into making predictive claims on reality.
>>
>>74954853
saints are not divinve in christian theology and prayers to saints are pretty rare these days
>>
>>74955028
The non-overlapping magsteria hypothesis would be nice if religion could keep its paws out of matters of the material world. Unfortunately I know of no example where this has ever happened.
>>
>>74955221
Probably the most apt answer here.
>>
>>74955122
>religion is belief based on nothing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJu0oYvi-cY
>>
File: atheists.png (17 KB, 373x330) Image search: [Google]
atheists.png
17 KB, 373x330
pic related to the overall feel of this thread
>>
>>74952098
This. Atheism is to religion as being bald is to have a hair style. Idiots like this guy (http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/30/we-can-save-atheism-from-the-new-atheists) think it's ok to co-opt it with other beliefs (leftist nonsense) that are completely unrelated. See Rebecca Watson for details.
>>
>>74955125
what is "faith"? if god doesnt exist, and we ask them to do our "dirty work", and it comes to frutiion, then we brought it to fruition ourselves.

that being said, clearly you have never prayed, because you think people ask god to dumbass shit like you claimed.

youre a dumbass ignorant faggot.

>>74955122
proven until its disproven, or you find evidence that proves your structures wrong.
science is literally just a guess until you find out its wrong. none of our models have remained unchanged since their birth.
>>
>>74954606
>"I don't believe in god" isn't a religion any more than "i believe in the right to self defense" is a religion.
its different in the sense that many people make being atheists a central aspect of their lives. It is a paradigm that they hold as the absolute truth, and see everyone else's view as wrong. It has nothing to do with scientific inquiry, because even though the existence of a supernatural God can not be proven, the lack of existence also can not be proven. Imagine if a group of people rallied behind the belief that Black holes don't exist(in a time where we lacked the equipment to observe them). There is no way to prove they exist, but also no way to prove they don't, but the lack of evidence is strong enough in the eyes of these people that they promote their view point as the only sound and true view their is.
Here lies the religious fervor that many modern day atheist hold. Their ideology is sacred and infallible. They hold their disbelief in God as a personal gospel and surround themselves with like minded individuals, making atheism a crucial if not key component of their everyday life.
>>
>>74954726
This is a valid argument by the way.
70% plus of Athiests are Socialist/Commies.
>>
>>74951758
It isn't, but some retards make it so, with a symbol, prophets, dogmatic texts and zealousy. These people in no way represent atheism as a phenomenon, which is not believing in gods and reject religion.
>>
>>74955221
If bald people went to 'bald hair conventions', were very keen on insulting every haired person and wanted everybody to shave their heads, baldness would be a religion just like atheism.
>>
>>74955342
>See Rebecca Watson for details.
Looking up Atheism+ and PZ Myers will show how badly the word was hijacked as well.
>>
>>74955397
>These people in no way represent atheism as a phenomenon
They do exactly that. Perhaps they do not fulfill the definition of atheism?
>>
>>74951758
It is a religion because saying so triggers them so it is a religion, period.
>>
>>74955402
So feminism is a religion?
>>
>>74955402
Most atheists never go to meetups with atheists or participate in atheist communities, but you've already shown to make all of your arguments from "muh feels" instead of facts
>>
>>74955466
by your definition, people who are Christians are not part of a religion
>>
>>74955121
What do you mean the whole communism thing? The government of the USSR was allied to the Orthodox church from the beginning, North Koreans, Chinese and Cubans literally worship a dead man. Fascism, too, has been historically allied with religion.
>>
>>74955367
its a belief that changes their behavior towards their fellow man. it is a religion.

they have faith in the belief that there is no god. so not only does it effect their behaviour, but it also utilizes faith.

>>74955475
yes. its effects behaviour, and involves the belief that the spirit of women is on par, or superior, to the spirit of men.
>>
>>74951758
Is being irreligious the same as being religious?

Fucking meme needs to die.
>>
>>74955363
What was your last prayer for, then?
>>
>>74955402
By this definition, any form of fanaticism at all would count as a religion.
>>
>>74955475

another leftist cult
>>
Non agnostic atheism is a faith, yes.. that is, being sure no gods exist
>>
>>74955555
QUINT FIVES OF TRUTH
QUINT FIVES OF TRUTH
QUINT FIVES OF TRUTH
QUINT FIVES OF TRUTH
QUINT FIVES OF TRUTH
QUINT FIVES OF TRUTH
>>
>>74955377
>70% plus of Athiests are Socialist/Commies
Well, I would like to point out most of those are Chinks, who dont really have a choice in being commies
>>
File: finlad.jpg (64 KB, 487x524) Image search: [Google]
finlad.jpg
64 KB, 487x524
>>74955303
>man gets cucked
>says god impregnated his wife
>naive finns still believe this
We call them laws of nature, as they cannot be broken, plain and simple. If you can prove it by an repeatable experiment, then be my guest, break the laws of nature, prove that "outside" force. Untill then, don't spread such lies.
>>
in murica atheism is a religion, for the rest of us atheism is just atheism
>>
>>74951758
Atheism is faith or belief in an unprovable answer just like religion, but religion is more specific.
>>
File: 1441668090838.jpg (56 KB, 926x960) Image search: [Google]
1441668090838.jpg
56 KB, 926x960
>>74951758
Atheism can become a culture, but it's not a religion.
>>
>>74951758

No but many of it's proponents defend it with great religious fervor.
>>
>>74952121
>tfw you realize every theist thinks their own religion is the only true one and is ignorant about all the others

Look I can make stupid fucking generalizations too!
>>
>>74955671

Asking you to defend your claims is not defending anything
>>
>>74955558
i was thankful for the day and the weather and the oppurtunities and struggles ive been given and to watch over my family, my loved ones, our friends and their families
>>
>>74955482
>muh feels
Rather, the cults surrounding Dawkins and Internet forums, the Don Quijotes slaying Straw gods. The atheists who vigorously defend their religion in online forums, but keep lubricating their anus for Muslims - or are nowhere to be seen when things need defending.

I'm going to use baldness as an example.
>Final fantasy hairstyles are so horrible
>Yeah, it is better to be bald than to have hair!
>>
File: ateistit.jpg (37 KB, 720x534) Image search: [Google]
ateistit.jpg
37 KB, 720x534
>>
File: 4869804546777798.png (142 KB, 544x360) Image search: [Google]
4869804546777798.png
142 KB, 544x360
>>4955670

cult*
>>
>>74955527
I don't even remember typing out that last sentence but okay.

That's not what I grew up learning at all.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marxist%E2%80%93Leninist_atheism
>>
>>74955742
I dont respect you, so i wouldnt expect you to respect me
>>
>>74955715
>The day
Material
>The weather
Material
>Family
Material
>Loved ones
Material
>>
>>74955571
Essentially, yes.

>>74955598
Now, what kind of religion do you follow? Repeating numbers are proof?
>>
>>74955670
>>74955783
>>
File: image.jpg (162 KB, 719x562) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
162 KB, 719x562
>>74955319
Both are inferior.
>>
No but it was going to be one

http://www.atheistrev.com/2013/10/what-atheism-could-have-been.html?m=1
>>
>>74955609
Nah bro. We're talking Red, White and Blue. So you can be sure it's even higher globally.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DsQunA6Vndg
>>
>>74955617
If your arguments or beliefs had merit, perhaps you wouldn't challenge straw men?
>>
>>74955798
and this is why your atheism is nothing but hate. youre a faggot and deserve everything you dish out.
>>
File: faces of atheism.jpg (40 KB, 734x320) Image search: [Google]
faces of atheism.jpg
40 KB, 734x320
Most mass murderers are atheist.
>>
>>74955713

Dualism is literally religion yet nearly every atheist I've met relies on it.
>>
>>74955886
i dont respect HIM - he's acting like a jerk
>>
File: first lady.jpg (371 KB, 650x874) Image search: [Google]
first lady.jpg
371 KB, 650x874
>>74955363
>proven until its disproven
Religion is yet to be proven, lies in books are not proofs. There are things we call laws and theories, try to learn what each means. Science proves it's things by having experiments, which can be repeated, such things are called laws, like newton's laws. Go ahead, try to break one of newton's laws, it's not possible. Religion on the other hand has and never can be proven, as you cannot prove a negative (a lie).
>>
>>74955466
Cool, well at least we know you're just trolling.

Then again, I don't think there are any actual religious people on 4chan. I don't even think anyone other than young children and people with a IQ of <100 take this crap seriously.
>>
>>74951758
>0 is a number
>>
File: dahmer_servaa_ateistit.png (546 KB, 651x481) Image search: [Google]
dahmer_servaa_ateistit.png
546 KB, 651x481
Daily reminder that every atheist you know has no moral compass and could snap at any minute.

Atheists need to be bullied out of their cultist mindset.
>>
>>74955892
>Dualism is literally religion yet nearly every atheist I've met relies on it.

So according to you, the average person belongs to thousands and thousands of religions?

A religion for every belief?
>>
>>74955875
>If your arguments or beliefs had merit
>gives video that focuses on one thing as example
>calls straw men
wew lad, damage control.
>>
>>74955892
Explain pls? Are you referring to the separation of mind and body?
>>
>>74955974
>could snap at any minute
>needs to be bullied
You're not too bright.
>>
File: morals.png (336 KB, 614x720) Image search: [Google]
morals.png
336 KB, 614x720
>>74955974
>finn
>morals
kek
>>
>>74951758
Most atheists worship the government, so I'd say that's accurate
>>
File: 14679265748054.png (275 KB, 545x530) Image search: [Google]
14679265748054.png
275 KB, 545x530
>>74955947

It is
>>
File: NotAnArgument.jpg (46 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
NotAnArgument.jpg
46 KB, 400x400
>>74956051
not an argument
>>
File: atheist dictators.jpg (44 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
atheist dictators.jpg
44 KB, 600x480
Atheism is communism lite and its logical conclusion is gulags.
>>
>>74955598
Checked good sir. 5 on the 5.

>>74955555
>>
>>74951758
Ayy I used to watch Nerdcubed. Pretty sure he's quite the leftist, or was.
>>
File: good goy.jpg (10 KB, 263x192) Image search: [Google]
good goy.jpg
10 KB, 263x192
>>74956119
>not imperial cult
Come on.
>>
>>74955984
To some extent you're right. Most "religious" people are merely atheists of one fewer god than atheists.
>>
File: 1462560628031.png (588 KB, 886x482) Image search: [Google]
1462560628031.png
588 KB, 886x482
>>74951758
I fucking hate atheism. A decade or two after it takes root in a country and Christianity starts to fall, the bastards embrace fucking Islam. Now Muslims are even the most rising demographic in Europe.

Atheism goes hand in hand with the post-modern progressivism bullshit pushing the multiculturalism, globalistic, Jew agenda after they weaken the country's religion, tradition, and culture.

Remember when Sweden was the atheistic capital of the world? Now it's sand nigger land. Fuck atheists, bane of the fucking west
>>
>>74955936
your laws are based on religious belief. your belief system is one of pirvilege on the back of religion.

the bible is a historical narrative. its been proven time and time again to be factual. the writers existed. their claims maybe be purely subjective, but the fact is, these people all existed.

your science gets disproven every 50 or so years. maybe ultra-generalized statements about gravitational laws is on par with religion. its so generalized it cant be disproven.

seriously, youre so ignorant, its kind of funny.
proving once again, athiests heads are so far up their ass, they see the light, they just dont realize it.

what happens when you die?
>>
>>74956119
all communist states had cult of leader so they weren't exactly atheist
>>
Fuck Religion, and Fuck Atheism

Both movements should fucking die anyway.

I just left religion because I am sick of the bullshit going on in our world. Atheists are just as bad because they act smug and pompous about being against "Muh Sky Daddy" as they call it.

Fuck them both. We have far bigger things to worry about that bullshit like that now.
>>
>>74951758
Atheism is the easiest religion to bait
>>
>>74956028

There is no unseen or spirit world and we've been able to prove for over a century but it's still used by practically every atheist as a predefined confinement strawman.

Religious people do it constantly as well though but on the other end of the argument.
>>
>>74951758
no its not a religion.

jesus how fucking dumb do you have to be to think it is
>>
>>74956270
>I just left religion because I am sick of the bullshit going on in our world

So you're an atheist. Nice argument mr smug muh sky daddy fedora loser.
>>
>>74956046
Our very societies moral have been shaped by religion for centuries.
Look at societies that developed isolated and independent from our own cultural beliefs.
To say that religion has played a key role in shaping our modern day morals is being willfully ignorant
>>
File: latest[1].png (3 MB, 1634x1048) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
3 MB, 1634x1048
>>74956211
I can get behind this
>>
File: 1232355465.jpg (9 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1232355465.jpg
9 KB, 480x360
>>74956239
You're right. I guess religious people are slightly less religious than atheists. Never thought of it that way.
>>
>>74955742
pretty decent trolling fin.

clearly enslaving, murdering or beating other people is the same thing as not believe in superheroes.
>>
>>74956270
Careful with that edge Mr. "I believe in a higher power".
>>
>>74951758
Yes it is. And an edgy one at that. Terrible people in general aswell.
>>
>>74956302
well, i consider myself an atheist, and agree there is no spiritual world and that mind and body are not separate

the idea of ghost in the machine is contrary to provable scientific findings
>>
>>74955742
but senpai, all of the bottom pictures imply the speaker is grossly violating the rights and freedoms of others, while the top speaker just wants to be left alone. Do you really not see the difference? I guess I just took the bait, didn't I :D
>>
>>74956307
to believe that man can deduct the truth of relaity through observation and experimentation is the belief that man can control the world around him, makign your belief and faith in science, one of religion.

get the fuck over yourself and use soem critical thinking.

atheists are dumb as shit.
>>
>>74955869
If this was true, then right wingers would never win here in elections, since +80% of Czechs are atheists. Also the most atheistic parts of country are the right wing strongholds, while rural religious parts vote left.
>>
>>74956460
>"i love soccer"
>"i dont."
>"so not loving soccer is your religion."

thats you.
>>
>>74955936
>Try to break one of newtons laws, it's not possible
That's what we thought until quantum mechanics happened. It turns out you CAN break them on a small enough scale of time and space.

Scientific laws are not absolute. They're just the best idea we have. Relativity and quantum mechanics could be wrong. It's the nature of science
>>
>>74955999
You didn't understand the point C.S Lewis was making.
'Outside interference' is as scientific as we can get to naming it. It is simply stating that outside forces can interact with our world, and we can't exactly predict them via arithmetics.

>it has to be proven!
Genesis 5, translate the names in order, from Adam to Noah.
>it has to be proven via scientific method, a method which (by definition) is unable to prove it
>>
File: plot.jpg (63 KB, 500x581) Image search: [Google]
plot.jpg
63 KB, 500x581
>>74956256
>your laws are based on religious belief
>newton's laws are a religion.
kek

>its been proven time and time again
It's been change time and time again.

>your science gets disproven every 50 or so years
What law got disproven in the last 50 years? Don't post a hypothesis or theory, post a law that got broken.

>what happens when you die
You die, the end. Ask people that have died and got defibrilated back to life.

You seem so ignorant, it's quite sad, it's like talking to a sjw, he won't give up his belief, that it must be true, even if it has been proven the opposite side is correct, time and time again.
>>
>>74956522
religion is based on faith. i got zero fucking faith for science.

i want hard facts and truths. objective shit. not "well some retard maybe wrote this down 2000 years ago and therefore its true because everything that is written down must be true lolololo"
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 58

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.