[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Compulsory Voting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8
File: compulsory voting.jpg (144 KB, 1025x683) Image search: [Google]
compulsory voting.jpg
144 KB, 1025x683
What are the arguments against compulsory voting?

>100% representation of the population
>Forces population to be more politically minded and have a sense of national duty
>No buying busloads of votes
>Truly representative of the majority
>Just a $100-$250 fine for avoiding the vote

To me it seems like a sensible system that would produce sensible policies. It's worked here, but of course I realise things are different in other parts of the world. Obviously Europe isn't democratic anyway and the US has a very different system than ours and also isn't democratic anyway. But why not have it in place? Would love your thoughts /pol/
>>
File: 1463436182642.png (108 KB, 500x365) Image search: [Google]
1463436182642.png
108 KB, 500x365
Bump
>>
>>74872377
It's best voting system.

Democracy is shit tho.
>>
>>74872377
Compulsory voting make people care about politics and your own country.
>>
>>74872377
Democracy should not be at all. Noone should vote.
>>
>>74874136
lol no
look at Brazil (this is actually pretty funny):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwDAyYVoHsE
>>
Seems like a sensible idea, but it's one more thing that the government has no place enforcing in a free society.
>>
The best argument against it seems to be looking at the countries that do.
>>
File: 1397411002975.jpg (62 KB, 454x720) Image search: [Google]
1397411002975.jpg
62 KB, 454x720
>>74872377

>compulsory voting
>accomplishing anything

what makes you think the average voter is any more informed than in countries without compulsory voting?

i want vile statist shills to go.
>>
>>74872377
>Let's put in order mandatory voting
>omg how did we become a communistic society with rampant corruption??? I thought the voters would be informed??! Conservativism is forever gone!
>>
File: dNVvntX.gif (133 KB, 311x366) Image search: [Google]
dNVvntX.gif
133 KB, 311x366
>>74872377
>compulsory consent
>>
Compulsory voting isn't a great system.
1) Most nations have a group of 'natives' that aren't politically active and live separate to the rest of the country (Abos, gypsies, travellers, berbers etc).
2) It interferes with immigration laws specifically on when people should be compelled to vote and what status their citizenship must be in at that point (USA system is a mess with this example. Compulsory voting + some states allowing Mexicans to vote = shit hits all the fans).
3) People who really hate democracy will vote for the worst candidate out of spite. If they don't have to vote they can simply opt out instead.
4) Many countries with compulsory voting have odd party laws. (Australia had the Prime Minister thrown out and replaced with a Jew)
5) Women are less likely to vote than men. They also are much more likely to vote cancer (Austria had 60% women voting cancer vs 40% of men).

There are many other reasons but these cover why it is shit in a modern context.
>>
The argument against compulsory voting is that lazy, dumb, trash people end up voting: It is compulsory, but I can still vote blank, so it only makes me get off my ass, and considering people who are too lazy can't vote properly, this only makes sure that a bunch of apes cast vote. And it is absolutely disgusting to think that my vote is equal to someone who is smarter than me.
>>
>>74874820
>>74874988
Yeah cunts don't be surprised by Hillary's free barbecues on election day. Talk about corruption all you want, but speaking from the ground in the only white country with compulsory voting in the world, it works okay. With compulsory voting the threat of people buying votes is alleviated, and if you're going to live in a democratic nation surely it's the best way for it to be. You live in a world of nation states, so make the nation state work for you.

>>74875397
There was never a chance that lazy, dumb, trash people wouldn't be voting in Brazil anyway

>>74875388
Basically what I'm hearing is that most of the world has been fucked up so much by undemocratic bullshit that it's unviable in most countries, and I guess I agree
>>
>>74876036
The United States isn't a democracy and I hope it never is. Democracy is cancer.
>>
>>74872377
It is usually retarded people who don't vote. Compulsory voting pushes country to the left.
>>
>>74876187
It was much better with land owner suffrage.
>>
>>74876036
>With compulsory voting the threat of people buying votes is alleviated

yeah they just cut out the middleman and buy the politicians
>>
>>74872377
I would like to see incentivized voting where we give tax breaks or some shit to voters.
Or compsulatory voting with the option to show up to the polling center and cast your ballot as (no vote)
>>
>>74876036
>but speaking from the ground in the only white country with compulsory voting in the world, it works okay.

>Belgium
>Luxemburg
>Greece
>Cyprus
>not white
shittier bants m8
>>
>compulsory vote
tfw selling your vote, bypass the penalty and get profits from it
>>
>>74872377

>Brazil
>Argentina
>Greece
>Congo

Only the cream.
>>
>>74872377
Sure, if protest votes mean empty seats in the parliament.
>>
>>74876366
Our right wing party is in power and our left wing party is centre-right. It pushes to the centre. Non-compulsory voting in Europe has produced what you see in Europe today with centre-right parties now being the far-right. Hispanics vote left because they're lazy cunts.
>>
>>74872377
doesn't make the population any less retarded.
this way some dumbfuck won't vote left just because he has to and it's the party he heard most about in the news.

if they lack the initiative to take part in voting process they don't deserve the right in the first place.
>>
>>74872377
>he thinks democracy means anything but equality of conditions
Does no one read their Tocqueville anymore?
>>
>>74876755
This
>>
>institute compulsory voting
>create anti-Compulsory voting party
>mfw it wins
>what do?
Paradoxes for maximum kekage
>>
>>Forces population to be more politically minded and have a sense of national duty

Bullshit, and people christmas tree'ing a ballot never ends well.
>>
>>74872377
Voting is not compulsory in Singapore. If you do not vote however, you'll need to pay a fine to regain voting rights if you wish to vote in the future.
>>
>>74872377
You missed out north korea
>>
>>74872377
>freedom
>democracy
>the option to register and then not vote is not on the table
keep telling yourselves you're better than america
>>
>>74876964
Something that drastic would have to be codified into our Constitution, the party would need an overwhelming majority to change it.

In all reality we just need to increase the voting age to like 25
>>
>>74876036
Who said anything about Brazil, dumbass? You asked about compulsory voting
>>
>>74872377
>>74872377
>What are the arguments against compulsory voting?
>>100% representation of the population
>>Forces population to be more politically minded and have a sense of national duty
>implying
they won't u fucking idealistic retard
>>No buying busloads of votes
>implying that people will not be so selfish that they vote for the guy making advertisements about giving them free money
either that or they will vote uncaringly to just not get fined
>>Truly representative of the majority
>implying people will care enough and not just vote for whatevs just to not get fined.
>>
File: alfred.jpg (178 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
alfred.jpg
178 KB, 1680x1050
>>74872377
>forcing people who don't care to vote is a good thing

I'm sure they will make a lot of informed decisions and not just tick a box at random
>>
>>74872377
here in Beanxico you can vote, have sex, drink and smoke at 18.

I can tell you with a lot of confidence that the range between 18 and 22 years old are some of the dumbest voters of them all; they always vote left no matter what.
>>
>Argument against compulsory voting
Stupid, apathetic people shouldn't vote.

Blacks punch below their demographic weight when it comes to voting. Hispanics punch WAY below their demographic weight when it comes to voting, even the legal ones.

Compulsory voting in America means ensuring permanent dem rule. Even more so than it is already assured.
>>
>>74872377
I would only agree if you offered a German-style Null Vote, that says none of these parties pleases me but at the same time I am not apathetic.
>>
>>74872377
Didn't realize we had to vote...
>>
>>74872377
Do you like your politicians that are in office?

Do you wish there were different elected officials? Were votes close?
>>
>>74872377

"The best argument against compulsory voting is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
Robert Mugabe
>>
File: 1449238170595.jpg (82 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1449238170595.jpg
82 KB, 625x626
>>74877696
>Robert Mugabe
>>
because you don't want a bunch of uninformed people voting in the modern world.
Do you go outside? Have you talked to the average person?
>Forces population to be more politically minded
nah, swag going to swag, low IQ going to be brainwashed, etc
>>
>>74872377
>What are the arguments against compulsory voting?
I would prefer limiting voting to only those who would care to do so willingly because, primarily, I don't won't a bunch of idiots who don't even care about politics to decide who rules us.
>>
File: 1463906726908.jpg (194 KB, 1024x579) Image search: [Google]
1463906726908.jpg
194 KB, 1024x579
>>74877881

wow
free bait
>>
Electoral democracy is plutocratic oligarchy. Only sortition is truly democratic.
>>
>>74872377
>Forces population to be more politically minded and have a sense of national duty
It do not work like that. Most of forced people would just vote in a random politician or worse, vote in the populist candidate.

Compulsory vote is dumb and do not work well
>>
File: 1455684500686.jpg (297 KB, 2093x608) Image search: [Google]
1455684500686.jpg
297 KB, 2093x608
>>74878172
>Robert Mugabe
>>
>>74878759
Not
An
Argument
>>
>>74877228
Compulsory and 25+ would be good for us if we didn't have such a massive number of gibsmedat dindus.
>>
>>74872377
No first world nations have it. Enough said
>>
>>74872377
I would rather only the informed people who care about politics vote. Most of these countries are shitholes and I don't think that is just a coincidence.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.