[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>major in History >get told since the beginning that History
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 16
File: tapatalk_1461704758775.jpg (185 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
tapatalk_1461704758775.jpg
185 KB, 480x640
>major in History
>get told since the beginning that History majors get a broad skill set and can get many jobs
>Graduate with a 3.3 GPA
>Apply for a lot of jobs
>Only Best Buy calls me back
>Every Best Buy near my house rejected me after the interview
>Apply for even more jobs
>No callbacks

Is my entire life fucking ruined? Just tell me.
>>
yea
>>
>get told since the beginning that History majors get a broad skill set and can get many jobs

bwahahahahhaha who told you that?

Well now that I think about it you could get many jobs like the ones that don't require any education at all.

Hope that helps.
>>
>>74819653
You're probably going to have to teach english over seas for a few years, learn a foreign language, save up some money, and apply to a grad program for some kind of professional degree.
>>
>>74819864
>bwahahahahhaha who told you that?

Someone who thought it was still the early 2000's
>>
I have a history degree. Im currently in Law School though since I knew history wouldn't give me shit.
>>
>>74819653
The only thing a history degree will get you is a job teaching history, and if you want to get a good teaching job you need a Ph.D
>>
I'm in the same boat, useless degree, white man so no one gets points for hiring me

I've relegated myself to permanent NEET status and will sponge off my one remaining parent until he goes to the great beyond at which time I'll probably an hero myself.

Sorry to be a downer.
>>
File: MichaelFuckingBay.gif (1 MB, 400x227) Image search: [Google]
MichaelFuckingBay.gif
1 MB, 400x227
>>74819653
And thats why not even Best Buy will hire you.
You majored, so wasted 2+ years..on history...good fucking job, now youre gonna be an old boring book keeper for the rest of your life lmao but hey, at least you threw a bunch of money at people to give you a piece of paper that says HURR LOOK AT PAPER, SAYS SMART, GIVE JOB
FUCKING DUMBASS
I never went to college and make 80-90k+ residuals selling commercial insurance
I worked my way up the sales latter and Besy Buy won't hire a collegiate historian, wewdydooooo
>>
You fucked up m8.
I was a history major until the military meme became manifest to me, left ROTC and switched to business.
How could you not see that history would only be good for the military, museums, education or prelaw?
>>
>>74819966
More like early 1800s, fucking hell
>>
>>74819653
You should find a similar avenue to use your history degree.

Become a sommelier and educate people on the history of wine. Cheese mongers, etc...
>>
File: A8pi27LCIAAIL9M.jpg (30 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
A8pi27LCIAAIL9M.jpg
30 KB, 500x501
Sorry about your lisp, but it's called STEM, not STHEM.

You really should have majored in STEM, senpai.
>>
I've applied for teaching jobs. None called me back.

That's what is fucking with me. Nobody but BEST BUY ever called back.
>>
>>74819653
>history major
You have fucked up bad, my friend
>>
>>74820578
Why are you such an entitled little fuck?
Whats your work experience?
>>
>>74819653
oh my god
>>
>>74820578
Teach. English. Overseas.

A CELTA or Trinity cert will only cost you $2500. Do it. Go have some fun, make a little money, chase some strange women.
>>
File: you-are-fucked-now.gif (1 MB, 258x193) Image search: [Google]
you-are-fucked-now.gif
1 MB, 258x193
>>74819653
>>
>>74820695
You don't understand. HUNDREDS of employers ignored me. I have 3years of internships as student teachers and museum assistants.
>>
>>74820578
When my great grand pappy came to this country with a few dimes in his pockets, he didn't give up so easy like you, pussy.
When Trump is president, you might get rolled up with the other riff raff.
>>
I'm guessing you're a male?
>>
>>74820816
>3years of internships as student teachers
Subbing for a days does equate to shit
>museum assistants
you took cash and cards from folks coming in
great

Thats a shit resume
No wonder

Change your major
>>
>>74820816
Just get into politics.
>>
>>74819653
You were lied to.
>>
Everybody's got a fucking degree now. Big fucking deal.

What matters in real life is connections. Even for history. You ever get to know your profs? Anyone got anything going that they need someone to do some work on? A grant or something?

Connections with people is everything man, everything.
>>
>>74820861
It's been half a year, I have no money, I have no friends, and (thanks to this thread) I know I have no future.
>>
File: 2006_night_at_the_museum_005.jpg (113 KB, 522x696) Image search: [Google]
2006_night_at_the_museum_005.jpg
113 KB, 522x696
>>74820816
>museum assistants
>>
I majored in history and I am literally working at my dream job.
>>
Go work in a bank
>>
File: 1391876376654.jpg (14 KB, 240x218) Image search: [Google]
1391876376654.jpg
14 KB, 240x218
>>74819653
Hopefully you aren't in debt OP. If you took out loans to get a history degree I feel sorry for you. You would've been better off not going to college at all. And seriously, who told you that a history degree is a good degree to get? Your history professor?

I never got a degree and I work for a small company, I can tell you that we don't even give a shit about degrees, reality is that we hire based on how you interview and present yourself, if you go to college you need to study something that's highly specialized so that the degree actually fucking means something.
>>
>>74819653
>3.3 GPA
don't tell me that you're proud of this
>>
>>74819653
AHAHAHA HOLY SHIT! It should literally be illegal to offer humanities degrees.
>>
>>74821060
>tfw history major
>tfw security guard

I'd actually love to work in a museum. Too bad the pay is probably shit though.
>>
>>74821047
Hey, I told you what to do >>74820471

I'm a stemfag and didn't get a job for almost a year in my field though. I didn't even apply to this job because it found me (so be surprised).
>>
>>74821047
For real, do stuff for free. Can you sponge off the parents for a while? Do unpaid internships and get a good reputation etc. People always hand out the good placements to people they know and trust by preference, or they can point you to people they know. Linkedin too - connect with everyone you ever knew or met or worked with who has a profile on there. Work those personal links.
>>
Op go be a teacher
>>
>>74821061
I'll bite, What's your job?
>>
99 problems and history major aint one hit me
>>
Meanwhile engineers with a 2.7 get into Boeing and weapons designs
>>
>>74821158
They sent me so many emails telling me to not listen to anyone saying it would not lead to a job. I wanted to switch majors to STEM on my first year but I had so many people tell me about the opportunities I'd miss out on. Now my life is fucking ruined.
>>
>>74819653
>>major in History

yes, your life is ruined. bad choices.
>>
File: A Famous Historian.jpg (52 KB, 533x288) Image search: [Google]
A Famous Historian.jpg
52 KB, 533x288
If you're really serious about history, move abroad someplace nice and learn a foreign language while teaching English, then go to a cheap foreign grad school.

Didn't you do anything else while you were studying history that would set you up for a career? How long was your BA thesis? History isn't that time-consuming tbqh senpai
>>
>>74820816
Well duh. In this job market you can't just send out resumes and expect results. Who taught you that shit?

Networking dude.
>>
>Graduate with a 3.3 GPA
That's your problem. No respectable White man graduates with less than a 3.7 GPA.
>>
Do you have any real skills? You know like making pivot tables in Excel or phone etiquette?
>>
File: sikowitz.jpg (47 KB, 385x510) Image search: [Google]
sikowitz.jpg
47 KB, 385x510
>>74819653
You can still be a hippy teacher at Hollywood Arts School, Sikowitz.
>>
>>74819653
Go back to school for another degree. Teach history at high school level. Or apply to law school.
>>
>>74819653
Bachelor in History MIGHT be able to be an FBI Agent. Check that out, if you are willing to train like an Ironman so you can kill it on physical they'd probably appreciate your skills. CIA Agent = same thing.

History can be, Archivist, Librarian, with added degree. History can do Education added degree. Law added degree. Grad school might be your future. Maybe an art museum would take you now.
>>
I could teach someone enough programming to go from 0 knowledge to code monkey. Email CV to [email protected]
>>
>>74819653

You need to set up informational interviews to get jobs that give you more than 10k a year these days nobody advertises those jobs ever anymore. After you do the informational interview they'll either hire you eventually or not.
>>
>>74821895

What programing languages would you teach?

How do you charge for your services?

Would you consider teaching a no college NEET?
>>
>>74821895
>Email CV to [email protected]
totally legit
>>
File: 1452754816578.jpg (8 KB, 250x189) Image search: [Google]
1452754816578.jpg
8 KB, 250x189
anon, this is what you do.

you take out the biggest loan the bank will let you, and create your own school.

simple really
>>
>>74821895
If you were serious, thanks but no thanks. I'm skilled in C/C++/Java/Python and yes that's on my resume and yes I've applied for some programming jobs.
>>
Have you tried working class jobs such as factory lines? You don't want to leave too large a gap of unemployment in your resume.
>>
>>74822269
Yep, never called me back.
>>
>>74821508
Nobody needs to send out emails like that in high demand areas.

You're still young, relax. This is a lesson. Learning is fun.
>>
>>74822009
I like /pol and I'd like to do my part for y'all... I would consider anyone ITT...

Theoretically I could teach the basics of PHP, Node, or Rails.

I'm not a genius programmer by any means but I recently graduated from a coding bootcamp and I'm very satisfied with my junior dev job right now, been there for three months now and honestly my career can only go up from here.

Seriously just email that address I made and we can talk about whether we could work something out.
>>
>>74822313

Have you tried out of town?

Does your state/city have an employment services for you to send your resume to the state/city and find you a job?
>>
>>74819653

Nigga you got a degree in google search. Everything your ass paid for I and everyone else in the world can find on a search engine in seconds. You're more fucked than an underage whore at a Hollywood party son.
>>
Get experience via internship (paid or not, you don't have the leisure to care). It's really the best way to kickstart almost any career.
>>
Why did you major in history and not say archeology or anthropology, which are both sciences. As far as I know a degree in strictly history is a teaching degree? You could consider getting a grad degree and teaching at the college level, even community colleges usually require a doctorate, so you should be in demand if you choose to do so, although it will still be teaching. Best of luck.
>>
File: 1463974043331.png (232 KB, 308x416) Image search: [Google]
1463974043331.png
232 KB, 308x416
>>74819653
have patience, kouhai. A job will come when you least expect it.

If you can do some other shit to help connect. There was a guy in TrumpGen who volunteered for the campaign. He got job offers out of that.

also
>mfw History major
>>
File: 1462209033874.jpg (46 KB, 680x684) Image search: [Google]
1462209033874.jpg
46 KB, 680x684
>>74819653
my cousins best friend just killed himself after getting his masters, no job to be found.
sorry, the job market is flooded with graduates.
you are a dime a dozen.
(oh, hung himself on his 5 year old daughter's swing btw, awesome right?)
>>
>>74821377
there's a lot of shit groups inside of boeing. dumb managers hiring dumb college grads = whole department get shut down soon. i've seen it happen.

t. former boeing engineer
>>
>>74819653
>archiving
>teaching
>librarian
You're not applying for jobs that pander to your skillset, you idiot.

t. History Major who is now an archivist
>>
Become a History teacher or get Master's in something more employable. Either way you're going to have to do some more school dude.
>>
>not going to school for medicine or law

the only two degrees you should spend money for. everything is is literally a meme, even the tech industry.

>go to tech school
>end up working for geek squad

Its one big meme
>>
>>74822536
Good. He's scared to get his hands dirty and find a job. Fuck that faggot
>>
>>74819653
My uni tried to advertise getting a history degree on campus in the form of small standees with photos of successful history majors, none of which were successful due to being history majors.
>>
>>74822536

Fucking pussy could have got a job at mcdonalds.
>>
>>74819653
Head to factory. Earn enough to return for grad program or learn trade skill. You wasted your time unless you do some sort of advanced program that preferably is not history.
>>
>>74819653
Just learn how to invest. It's going to be a grind, but the corporate slave life isn't for you. Don't despair, there's a million ways to make a million dollars. You just need absolute discipline, and to learn finance, accounting, and economics.
>>
File: 1454513164971s.jpg (4 KB, 111x125) Image search: [Google]
1454513164971s.jpg
4 KB, 111x125
>>74822671
my thoughts exactly
>>
>>74820811

this is the most appropriate image relating to the ops post

I laughed way too fucking hard
>>
>>74822143
Get your parents to subsidize your ass and do nothing but code websites and shit, that is actually a legit use of your time, make a portfolio, some GoDaddy site, make some Java app inside of it.

>>74822313
But then again if you spent 4 hours in a social science degree and left it an insufferable cunt, I cannot help you. Just join the armed forces and you can get military veteran sympathy and get Masters paid off by GI Bill. Or you die.

You sound kind of hard to get along with and would bomb any interview.
>>
This thread is scaring me. I was thinking about going to technical college for an associate's degree in networking. But it seems no matter what kind of degree one get it's not a guarantee to get a job.
>>
>>74819653
I did a combined history and classical studies. Am I double fucked?
>>
>>74822855

No shit nigger, it's all about how good you are at what you do.
>>
>>74822855
You have a far higher chance of getting a job with a degree than without. Just don't expect to only find a job in your field.

>>74822874
Nah. See >>74822611
>>
>>74819966
Are you fucking high? As a history buff meself, even I know getting a history degree is essentially about as useful as getting a charicature done at the pier
>>
>>74822611
My nigga! Librarian at my college here.
>>
If your career could potentially be somebody else's hobby, rethink your decision.
>>
>Major in biochemistry because everyone told me biology is important and hard science/STEM means a good job.
>Study ass off
>Graduate with a 3.9< and lots of research experience and hospital volunteering
>Look at options
>Doctor route means like another decade of absolute Hell for a field that is constantly paying less and less, and everyone wants defunded.
>Pharmacy route is completely and utterly saturated unless I want to live in West Virginia
>Research route means a decade of tedium in a lab for a chance at a good job
>Any way you slice it, my bachelor's is completely useless except as a stepping stone to more school

Can I just redo my entire life.
>>
>>74822954
Nonsense. A caricature at the pier shows that you have some decent qualities. Humor, spontaneity.

A history degree is worthless.
>>
>>74823064
well fuck, guess i'm not going to be a chemical engineer.

thanks for the advice
>>
>>74822874
I know that classical studies are an almost guarenteed job in Holland, because of the demand of teachers in those subjects and the lack of people studying it. If that's the same in Canada, you should be alright.
>>
>>74823119
Take the job in West Virginia fool. Anywhere you can earn a living wage.

Wherever you can get a start. Kids these days won't settle for real life.
>>
>>74823030
I always cringe a little bit when people say a history degree is worthless. It's pretty easy to get a job if you're smart about it since there's so few of us. My graduating class for my major this last semester was 4. 4 whole people got history degrees this semester. Meanwhile, archivists and librarians are retiring in the hundreds every year because they're so old. It's a niche job for sure, but it's in reasonably high demand.

>>74822954
>>74823121
>t. Stemfags who can't find jobs in their field and thus need to make others feel worthless to give themselves a sense of worth
Wew lad
>>
>>74819653
History major is useless and companies aren't really interested in you unless you have 3.7+ GPA. 3.3 is resume-throwaway tier.
>>
>>74819653
OP, I'm confused, do you have your teaching cert? The best money I ever made was as a long term sub; most states require an actual license to be able to sub in a long term (1+ week) role.

If you do, find a desperate school in a moderately large city. Too small and they won't pay worth shit, too large and they use a temp service. Find a private school if you can. I made $250-275/day teaching in suburbs in fucking Iowa which is damn close to 50,000, though to be honest I enjoy my time and my summers off so I don't make nearly as much.

You need to be creative. You need to look for options that are not conventional. Why you are wasting your time applying to Best Buy if you have any kind of educational cert is beyond me.

>I'm greentexting this because its important for everyone else to understand: BestBuy, any corporation job, will not hire someone who may leave at the end of the year for a teaching career. They want a long-term wage slave. You are a risk.
>>
3.3 GPA is shit, you were fucked from the start
>>
File: coolguy.jpg (114 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
coolguy.jpg
114 KB, 640x640
All of you whining nerd faggots need to learn finance, accounting and economics. It's all online for free, outlets like mit open course ware and a few ivy league school websites offer free full courses and testing material.

Learn how to invest, how to start a business, how to crush the old fucks. We are NEVER going to achieve anything as a generation unless we cut the throats of the old fucks hoarding all the money. I don't care what field you're in, we're all getting fucked by these parasites.
>>
>>74823119
why not got to WV. not much to do but atleast youd live like a goddamn billionaire with that cheap cost of living
>>
>>74823224
Haha jokes on you.

I went Social Work. I have a career all lined up, even a city or county job soon. All in the bag.

And I'm absolutely redpilled.
>>
I got a history degree and make 6 figures. Get more diverse skills your degree shouldn't define you.
>>
i want to know why you applied to fucking best buy lmao

i dont think its the degree that's at fault here. lol
>>
>>74823305
>I have a career all lined up, even a city or county job soon
So you're actually unemployed and trying to ply us with hopes and dreams? Bravo.
>>
>>74823119
research
>>
>>74823369
He finished school and went back home. Or never left home.
>>
File: 1463869715314.jpg (203 KB, 600x715) Image search: [Google]
1463869715314.jpg
203 KB, 600x715
>>74823119
>unless I want to live in West Virginia

You spoiled little brat. You go where the jobs in your field are, you disgusting soft nigger. I had to move countries to find a half-decent job, shit, I even had to go to school in the new country before I even got that, and I guarantee I was older than you when I did all that. And also, no, you can't redo shit. Man up and go to West Virginia.
>>
>>74820494
>He fell for the STEM maymay
>>
>>74819653
How did you manage to be in /pol/ long enough to feel comfortable blogposting here without learning that humanities are not going to give you a job?
You deserve this, you idiot.
Just think about it. Who needs you? What is your knowledge good for? Are you able to make the bread I want to eat in the morning? How would I gain anything from paying you?
>>
File: 1458170777482.png (145 KB, 359x330) Image search: [Google]
1458170777482.png
145 KB, 359x330
>tfw comp sci major
>tfw working in software consulting
>tfw swimming in loonies
>>
>>74819653
Don't feel bad, I have a degree in toxicology and I can't get a job.

>Sent over 100 applications
>apply for anything even remotely within my skill set
>1 interview

>they said to wait 2 weeks and they'll call me
>they haven't called
>>
>>74820972
Yeah what Germany said.
In both of our countries high tier politicians either have a history or economics degree (or no degree or qualifications at all if you're a radical rightwing whackjob)
>>
>>74823344
>Get more diverse skills your degree shouldn't define you.

Exactly. If you stayed inside and only went to class during college, you fucked up. I snagged every internship and leadership opportunity that was remotely in my grasp. I woke up at 6am on some Saturdays to go interview prospective students for scholarships or to go give a short little talk to campus groups or donors. If anyone in this thread didn't do 50% of what I did, you fucked up.
>>
>>74819653
Yes but not because you went for history as opposed to engineering

It's because you are not clever and you're X amount in debt
>>
>>74819653
youre history pal
>>
>>74823401
Nooo, I'm employed in the private sector. And in my duties I work very closely with government employees in the same field. And I'm well liked.

I'll have a government job with 3 years.
>>
>>74823491
Yes, I'm falling for it hardcore while I work on my thesis and do successful person things. Poor me. :(
>>
>>74820972
/thread
Politics>STEAM maymay
Plus you don't even have to knoe how to read to be a politician, you just need stupids to vote for you
>>
>>74821176
Security guard on the job currently here, what do you secure?
>>
>>74823245
I'll tl;dr my own post. Corporations won't hire you if they think you have better prospects in front of you. Especially this time of year, when you could easily be leaving them in August to go teach. Why train you for 3 months only to have you bail? They want wage slaves.
>>
>>74819653
Join the army as an officer make 5 gs a month
>>
9 times out of 10 when you go to college you're gonna end up working a job you could have got without the degree and all of the debt

some things you certainly need to go there for... but gender studies and history don't make the list. might as well be studying poetry.
>>
>>74823574
>Nooo, I'm employed in the private sector. And in my duties I work very closely with government employees in the same field. And I'm well liked
Being a barista at a Starbucks at your state capital doesn't mean you'll have a job at the in-house cafe for your state capital building.
>>
>>74823587
>work in some shitty engineering job
>gets the paper jew
>dies
>20 years later no one would ever remember you
>>
>>74823280

love the enthusiasm, bud
>>
>>74823119
Get into biomedical equipment trading, even as an assistant. There's loads of money in that, it's what my uncle does. Especially because nobody here knows the true price of a treadmill or an ECG so you can jew them out.
>>
>>74823648
Damn, who took the jam out of your donut?

I'm not falling for this fishing exercise. Just because your life is shit doesn't mean mine is :)
>>
>>74823119
What? Perfectly good jobs in biotech startups with stock options, if you're lucky you get rich. Or go for an established company and get a pension plan and stability. Lab techs a plenty out there.
>>
/pol/ I don't know if you care but you guys gave me a reason to live.

I'm going to get a teaching certificate and become a teacher. For the first time in my life I have an employment goal.

Thanks /pol/, I'll help make America great again by dropping subtle redpills in my classes.
>>
>>74823809
>Just because your life is shit doesn't mean mine is :)
But it isn't. I'm an archivist at a state university. I already work in my field. You're wishing on hopes and dreams.
>>
>>74823869
Kill yourself faggot
>>
>>74819653
masters in jap study here

you think you got it hard?
>>
>>74823869
Thanks /pol, I'll help make America great again by dropping subtle redpills in my classes.

Me every day. I can't wait to finish my PhD so I can start challenging the SJW in college.
>>
>>74819653
Yeah, you really need to network, fampai.

Like that's it. There are plenty of jobs where they don't care that you have a history degree, and will hire you for having a degree in general, but you need to actually find them.

Do you at least have a linkedin or a handshake?
>>
>>74823891
But I'm not. I'm a senior case manager, extremely talented and we'll liked. I got a frozen turkey from a client, just for thanks lol.

Right now I have job mode on Easy.
>>
op real talk. dont say that u have a degree when applying for jobs. apply at local gas stations and say you are just looking to make money. a degree is a liability cause they think u will quit and find something else if u have a degree. work a min wage job and do night classes at community college and do a 2yr degree in any medical tech degree (lab tech, ultra sound tech, xray tech etc). healthcare only field thats growing as baby boomers get sick. people ignore the tech jobs and run for RN/MD/CNA/PA cause they dont know about the easy and well paid tech jobs
>>
>>74823994
>fampai

Nice
>>
>>74821176
I got a history degree and went to volunteer at a museum. After four months volunteering they took a chance on me and gave me a job as a Guard. Loved the job, got laid off after a year and eight months (No fault of my own. I was one of their best employees. Problem was Based supervisor left, Based manager left and then the idiot above my Based Manager was left suddenly with a shitton of responsibility she had always delegated to competent people and then started making dramatic 'changes' to try and impress her boss....Like switching a lot of the staff over to student employees. Fucking dipshit woman.) But then I turned around and got another job in like two weeks. Got to leverage my experience for better pay, hours and benefits.
Right now planning my next step. Guard Works fine and dandy. But my passion is being a teacher. So I'm mostly just saving up and wanting to move to a nice state and teach history. Or maybe find another Museum to work at.
>>
>>74823688

As opposed to what?

> Working in some shitty fast food place
> gets the paper jew
> dies
> 20 years later no one owuld ever remember you

OR

> NEET
> Gets the paper jew from parents
> Dies
>20 years later no one would ever remember you

Can you fuck off now? Thanks
>>
>>74824033
This.

Senior nursing care is a gold mine gents
>>
Apply to law school senpai
>>
>>74823617
Other Security Guard.
Did Guard a Museum. Now a Vet School/Research Facility/Vet Hospital.
>>
>>74824194
LOL

Unless you already know lawyers don't bother. At best, you'll end up doing well for the DA. Or maybe suck out working shit cases as a Public Defender.

Or the worst of the worst hired to work back breaking hours doing all the tedious legal work for some Jewish partner firm.

Maybe, one day, you can scrape together the clients to have your own shop. Maybe.
>>
>>74824100
>be a Politician
>2000 years later people will still write books about you
>get tons of paper jews
>>
>>74823738

Never heard of this and no idea how to get into it, but I'll look into it.

>>74823835

Really low salary ceiling unless you get a PhD, which is easily tens years (counting the essentially mandatory academic postdoc position).
>>
This
>>74824108

is pertinent to this
>>74823280

Take their money as they get old and die. Senior care is expensive as fuck and is a guaranteed growth industry for another 20 years. Demographics are undeniable.
>>
>>74824429
>too little shekels right out of school

Entitled millenial trash. Get up and get a fucking job. Any job. Work, nigger school is over.

Apply yourself and stop making excuses.
>>
>>74819653
Did you follow up?
>>
>>74819653
>3.3 GPA from podunk university
>getting a job

K..
>>
>>74819653
i majored in communications. how fucked am I?
>>
>>74824549

No, you misunderstand. I mean I can't progress beyond a certain point. Ever.
>>
I majored in economics, graduated with a 2.9, and got a job with the SSA. I guess it could have gone worse, though I hope I can get a position in the SEC if I obtain either my master's or a law degree.
>>
>>74824740
Bitch you are overthinking this shit.

You don't have a stellar GPA, okay fine. But you still got the degree. Get your resume tooled up and stop making excuses.

Oh poor you. Welcome to Life faggot. Now swim.

No one is gonna hand you lots of money right out of school. Do what you have to to get by.
>>
>>74824319
Yawn. Another law school naysayer. JDs are useful degrees. Not a true science but you wont go hungry if you get some connections in school.
>>
>>74824429
It's simple. Think of all the equipment a doctor requires for measuring shit. Treadmills, respirators, ECGs, pulse monitors, etc. You probably have no idea how much they cost. That's where the money is: nobody does.
My uncle's niche is importing them; perhaps doctors in the states are better informed, so there's more money in South America.
>>
>>74824740
Well yeah, but nobody expects you to stay as a tech for 30 years (though there's always some fixture who does). You do that for 2-3, get references and responsibilities, then apply for a better thing with another company. Maybe you took some business courses and suddenly you're looking like you could move out of the lab and manage something.

Takes time. The alternative is spend another ten years getting higher level degrees, but you have to weigh that against (a) do I want to and (b) what's the opportunity cost?

There will always be some asshole making $150K who's three years younger than you. Get used to it.
>>
>>74824881

Is this entirely self employed though? Like you manage everything yourself? Or do I try to join a business that practices this?

>>74824968

How can I ever compete against all the PhDs willing to do the same thing though?
>>
Majored in microbiology. Ended up with a 3.8. I got a great job out of college but it's in the SF bay area, unfortunately. I hate it here.
>>
>>74823539
kill yourself
>>
>>74825213
>How can I ever compete against all the PhDs willing to do the same thing

I don't know a whole lot of PhDs who would be schlepping tech positions - but it's still all about networking and going to a shit ton of interviews. Knowing people is easily at least as important as your transcript or your CV. This is as true in science as anywhere else (unless you're a spooky-level genius, they make their own rules). Linkedin. Talking to your old profs and people who you worked with in other labs, things like that.
>>
>>74823510
Give stories.
>>
I studied history but its only good as a foundation. Build upon that. Gonna study global security as a master's now. Need more /pol/acks in power around tje world
>>
>>74819653
Yeah they really took us for a ride. However we statistically do the best on lsats so there's always that option for those of us who have above a 3.5. At least we had a good time in school.
>>
>>74825565

I know PhDs schlepping even more pathetic positions unfortunately.
>>
>>74820355

You are the person that everyone is afraid they'll have to work with at some point, unless your post was just autismal irony
>>
File: 1463342387472.gif (2 MB, 400x206) Image search: [Google]
1463342387472.gif
2 MB, 400x206
>>74824327
>he fell for the politician meme
>>
>>74819653

a relative of mine has a history degree. he went back to being a butcher, which is what he did before going to university. has his own butcher shop now. he wanted to be a teacher.
>>
Lol I always wanted to do a degree in history. When with science instead and its not much more useful desu
>>
>>74819653
Yeah, nigga you are dumb. With history in pocket you can only become teacher, librarian or author. Just write a book about hitler, nazis, and the holocaust.
>>
>>74819653
My sister has her Masters in History.

Runs her own company providing business analytics.

She has a couple Fortune 500 clients.
>>
>>74819653
You've got 65 years left, you have a majority of your life ahead of you. You can do it anon :)
Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.