[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Robert E. Lee was the greatest general and military mind this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 9
File: lee.jpg (13 KB, 200x288) Image search: [Google]
lee.jpg
13 KB, 200x288
Robert E. Lee was the greatest general and military mind this world has ever seen. And he fought for the Confederacy.

Inb4
>Hurr durr they lost the war
The Union had a lot more people to fight, as well as industrial power to manufacture war materials.
>>
thread theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omqqGViq3Ng
>>
>>74799444
Good quote from the show Hell on Wheels, confederate soldier says "There was never a time that I wasn't out-manned, out-gunned, or out-cashed by the Union and we still beat them more than they beat us."

or something like that
>>
hate his guts, but props to him for surrendering honorably instead of waging a guerrilla war that would have continued to tear the country apart.
>>
>>74799444
Marse Bob was a great General, but sadly not the best.
>>
>>74799444
All things being equal otherwise, Lee could shit on almost any other strategist. Reminder that before Grant and Lincoln decided to play the long game the south had the war clinched. Blues were dying in droves.
>>
>small guy insults big guy, then throws the first punch
>bigger guy beats the shit out of little guy
>b-b-b-but he fought really good for a short guy
>build statues
and you wonder why the south is still retarded
stay inbred son
>>
Holy shit Chancellorsville was a stroke of military genius

I don't know if it was as good as what Napoleon did at Austerlitz though
>>
Easily among the greatest men to ever live, definitely the second greatest American.
>>
was he really that good though. as soon as the north put in competent generals he got his shit slapped and continued to for the rest of the war.
>>
Jackson was the best general in the entire war. If he had lived the south would have won at Gettysburg and the war.
>>
>>74800154
Who is your first? Inb4 trump?
>>
Pretty sure jackson was more responsible for lees success than lee. Also, he wasnt a strategic thinker. Gettysburg was squarely on his shoulders and a huge mistake. Could have got between the army of potamac and washington and won again.
>>
>>74800314
Washington. It's not a flashy choice, but he pretty much willed a country into existence.
>>
File: 1463744591775.jpg (297 KB, 1768x992) Image search: [Google]
1463744591775.jpg
297 KB, 1768x992
>>74799444
>tfw from Virginia
>state of bloodthirsty gentlemen rebels

I agree that he's a strategic genius and an all-around stand up guy but that doesn't win wars. The Union generals may have been a rag tag assortment of blundering alcoholics but at least they picked the side that understood logistics (crucial part of any military strategy). Also bear in mind the Confederates had a homefront advantage 90 percent of the war and all their ventures into Yankee territory got BTFO.

Standing up for the southern gentility meme was his and most of the people in South who were worth a shit's downfall.
>>
File: image.png (419 KB, 1208x1554) Image search: [Google]
image.png
419 KB, 1208x1554
>>74799444
>>74800023
>>74800154
suddenly a wild pickett's charge appear
>>
File: dff.png (84 KB, 2000x1263) Image search: [Google]
dff.png
84 KB, 2000x1263
>>74799444
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6jSqt39vFM

the real rebel yell
>>
>>74799444
>Greatest general
>Not the German general fighting in Tanzania during ww1 that was undefeated and ended up surrendering because the rest of his country kept losing and he wanted to spare the lives of the brits that he was fighting.
A true hero
>>
>>74800287
Im inclined to agree. It was his old corps that was centered aroune culps hill in the early part of the battle. He would have taken it. They could have won the war then and there.
>>
>>74799690
Robert E. Lee wanted the Union to stay intact but when civil war broke out he had to fight for his state of Virginia. Enjoyed killing his countrymen.

>He was a foe without hate, a friend without treachery, a soldier without cruelty, a victor without oppression, and a victim without murmuring.
>He was a public officer without vices, a private citizen without wrong, a neighbour without reproach, a Christian without hypocrisy, and a man without guile.
>He was a Caesar, without his ambition, Frederick, without his tyranny, Napoleon, without his selfishness, and Washington, without his reward.

-Benjamin Hill
>>
>Greatest general and military mind this world has ever seen

You could have said "one of the foremost generals in all of United States history" and you wouldn't be wrong, but saying he's the best ever?

Genghis Khan, Alexander the Great, etc. shit on Lee.
>>
>>74800001
at least they didn't surrender 45 days in like France.
>>
>>74800766
I don't think he enjoyed killing his countrymen***
>>
>>74800932
Alexander inherited the greatest army at the time with superior and battle proven technology. Genghis Khan wasn't anything special he just raped a lot of people and fought retarded Chinese.
>>
File: nA7e1ryyjv7_400.jpg (26 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
nA7e1ryyjv7_400.jpg
26 KB, 400x300
>>74800704
>You will never charge into battle with hundreds of young men screeching that rebel yell
>>
>>74800001
>Croissant education

Europe was poised to acknowledge the Confederacy as an independent nation, and it was looking more and more likely until Stonewall Jackson died from friendly fire.

The armored ship CSS Virginia was the first of Its kind. The Union made the Monitor in response. These new ships rendered Europe's Navies obsolete.
>>
File: download (38).jpg (6 KB, 190x265) Image search: [Google]
download (38).jpg
6 KB, 190x265
need more whiskey in here
>>
He was one of the greatest men to live, and I don't say that lightly.

After seeing Lee serve in the Mexican American war, one of the most senior generals of the time was once on record saying that if he had to chose one man to command an army for the fate of mankind, he would chose Lee.

Not only was he a military master, he was a great leader of men, and a honest God fearing man as well. The total package. I would recommend the book Lee the American by Gamaliel Bradford. Then if you read Teddy Roosevelt an Autobiography, you will get a good idea of what a hero actually is.
>>
>>74799444
Okay, how? Robert E. Lee really wasn't that apt of a commander; the North just had quite pretty poor generals, and Robert E. Lee was a good enough commander of men to use talent afforded to him. For instance, Sheridan and Sherman were the best generals on the Union side, but infighting essentially just put them on the sidelines until Grant became general of the army.

Stonewall Jackson or Nathanial Forrest were probably his best generals, but they were also laughably fucking bad at dealing with men and inspiring loyalty. Think Patton; they took risky as fuck movements, and would spit on their soldiers when they hesitated to go into death's mouth. There is a famous quote that gets passed around; not sure how true it is from SJ

>He uses young men as scouts and messengers
>Sends them directly through the thick of the fighting, or in very obvious positions with the best views
>One of his couriers gets shot, and he blankly asks where he was later on
>"He was killed in action, sir"
>"Very commendable."

As for Lee, he wasn't particularly a bad commander, but he wasn't quite good at adapting to the war; he was essentially fighting like the Mexican War with tactics he learned in West Point that were adopted from Napoleon. It's why things like Pickett's charge happened.
>>
>>74801851

Having the most advanced military of the time did not make Alexander a conquerer. It was having that, plus being a master tactician. He would have been easily outmanuevered by Darius III of Persia, who had hundreds of thousands in his armies, if not for his revolutionary strategies that he masterminded personally.

>Genghis Khan wasn't anything special

Opinion discarded.
>>
>>74803686
>Fought Chinese
The Chinese might just have the worst military record out of any country. They are so bad at warfare yet they are not well off in terms of resources and have more able bodies that any other country.
>>
>>74804365
They are well off*

God damnit.
>>
>>74803615
Yes that is his quote.

I think Stonewall's men looked up to him just fine. It may sounds shitty but willingness to send your own men to their deaths might have something to do with him being so good- able to see the bigger picture. He himself wasn't afraid of death. And he was very religious. He thought God was on his side. Why would he be afraid for his men?
>>
>>74799444

He wasn't even the best general in the confederacy.
>>
>>74803615
Forrest's men actually highly respected him. That's partly why they begged him to keep fighting even after the war was over and the early Ku Klux made him a honorary member since many of the founders were his own men.
>>
>>74799444
i just reported this, have fun in the pokey, faggot.
>>
>>74805100
Stonewall was just a huge religious zealot and this had pros and cons. For example he was more willing to trust fellow Presbyterians over other Christians which burned him sometimes.
>>
>>74804365
>genghis khan only fought Chinese
Into the trash it goes.
>>
>>74802918
>implying

Europe's potential support for the South pretty much disappeared at Antietam. It was all pointless after that.
>>
>>74805936
I don't remember saying that. Nice argument you got there.
>>
>>74804365
>The Chinese might just have the worst military record out of any country.
Triggered.jpg
>>
William Tecumseh Sherman.
>>
>>74800001
>country literally known for surrendering
stay cucked
>>
Cuckfederacy with their Jew "Judah Benjamin"
>>
>>74799444
I agree 100% with this message.

>Nathan Bedford Forrest was the best enlisted cavalry command in the world.
>>
He was good until Grant came East. After that, it was stalemate and defeat.

2nd place trophy.
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 332x443) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 332x443
Wew lad...You mispelled Jan Žižka
>>
>>74800001
>>74800001
>throws first punch

Lincoln drove his ships into Charleston Harbor against the CSA's will.

This is equivalent to Germany driving down the Champs Elysee and saying France started the war when they get shot at.
>>
>>74807382
France did attack Germany first. France had a pact with Poland so they attacked when Germany invaded Poland.
>>
>>74807591
Do you feel smart spouting that off? It had nothing to do with what I was talking about, nor did I specify WW2.

I was simply making an analogy with the point being Lincoln invaded a sovereign country and then claimed they started the war when the CSA defended against an aggressor.
>>
>>74807800
>Using the Germany attacked France first meme to make a point.
Get your facts straight before making a fool of yourself.
>>
>>74807890
Youre a fucking autist and an idiot. Show me where I said WW2?

Besides, you could hardly consider Saarbrucken an '''attack'''
>>
>>74805391
Forrest also had a difficult time working with commanders and other generals.
>>
>>74805100
Think of it akin to Patton, Stonewall's men respected him as a commander, but not a commander that personally valued or respected them in turn.

If you were a Catholic and under his command, that was definitely not going to go well. If you seemed hesitant to do something that might surely get everyone killed, god help you.

Patton was bit more of a dick, tho. He lived longer.
>>
>>74808016
Lol what else could you have been talking about? A hypothetical war?
>>
>>74808278
Yes exactly. I was making a hypothetical. Good God youre dim.
>>
>Greatest military mind the world has ever seen.
>Not Manstein or Alexander the Great.
>>
>>74808474
I'm sorry you made an incorrect analogy about ww2. If it's any consolation I did get the point you were making.
>>
>>74808653
No. By the time Germany was driving down the Champs Elysee, there were no shots being taken.
>>
>>74805325
This

While Lee was great, Jackson was slightly better. I don't think Jackson ever lost a battle dispite being out gunned and outnumbered in every fight..
>>
>>74799444
Something to consider
Lee's family had freed all of their slaves about 10 years before the War of Northern Aggression, Lee personally never owned slaves
US Grants family freed their slaves only after the WoNA and only when ordered to do so
>>
>>74799444
>the greatest general and military mind this world has ever seen

Yeah that's why William T. Sherman the absolute madman, totally destroyed him.
>>
>>74800552
wait was pickett's charge Lee's decision? I thought it was a miscommunicated order
>>
>>74800259
That was toward the end of the war after the north had begun successfully blockading southern ports. Once the good generals were put in for the north the south was already starved for supplies.
>>
>>74800717

This. This right here. Also based Guderian
>>
>>74812004
Well, Lee took responsibility for it.

>You will never be general pickett
>Leading your men from the from, long golden hair flowing in the breeze
>Facing certain doom, but all too gallant to retreat
>>
>>74806081
If you look at the timeline in which Genghis Khan and any European Steppe people were a threat it was long before the Chinese had a bad military record. In fact they had one of the most technologically advanced forces at the time. they were god the goddamn big leagues while the Europeans and Middle Eastern peoples were a tee-ball team.
>>
If he didn't send his men into a death charge called Picketts Charge he could have had a bigger chance to win. That 1 mistake might have cost the entire war.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.