[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Remind me again why we aren't switching to wind energy everywhere
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7
Remind me again why we aren't switching to wind energy everywhere
>>
Because the wind will stop blowing if we use it all up.
>>
I guess because the wind doesn't always blow or something. I see plenty of those things around even in coal country.
>>
>>74793392
fuck off tripfags

joos
>>
>>74793441
namefag newfriend
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL-cRuYAxg0
>>
>>74793472
1/10
made me reply

come on, i know you can do better than that
>>
>>74793300
It is expensive to set up windmills, but easy to burn coal. There is no real economic advantage.
>>
File: 1463533130949.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1463533130949.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>74793392
This and also because Uk has 80% of all European Wind and we ain't sharing what we conquered you can fuck off its our wind
>>
>fucking around with wind turbines when we have the tech to make nuclear plants

Fucking hippies ruining everything
>>
>>74793300
Because we continue to elect people who actually believe this >>74793392
>>
File: 1457833304789.jpg (142 KB, 670x377) Image search: [Google]
1457833304789.jpg
142 KB, 670x377
>>74793406
If only the wind were more like your mom.
>>
>shit's noisy as fuck
>if it's close to highly populated areas, see above. If it's in bumfuck nowhere, it's more expensive.
>kills stupid birds
>has to be repaired
>meanwhile, you can just keep pumping oil which is cheap, far away and quiet.
>>
>>74793300
Honest answer?

Oil is cheap. There's no money to be made in wind after overhead costs and maintenance.

There are even a few communities that are adamantly against it for strange reasons like, "it gives me a headache, it kills birds, etc"

Even at $70 a barrel, wind is still pretty expensive for most places, especially to maintain.

I can see it being used in niche circumstances. Places with constant winds that aren't too weak or too strong, with very little other means of energy production.
>>
>>74793300
research baseloads.
>>
Because people don't want to pay $0.30/kWh like in Germany
>>
>>74793300
Because then fucking hippies win.
>>
File: efficiencies.gif (47 KB, 500x454) Image search: [Google]
efficiencies.gif
47 KB, 500x454
Pic related. also see points raised in >>74793716
>>
>>74793300
because most governments dont want to invest into new power lines to implement wind energy. The old powerlines are under full load from nuclear reactors day and nights and you cant just torn off the reactor. That shit takes time. Also nuclear energy is way to profitable, nobody of the big energy houses is gonna cut that shit because of some green energy.

To put it simply, humanity is to greedy right now. maybe after ww3.
>>
>>74793300
Not very practical. Takes a metric fuckton to get any decent output. And they break fairly easily and the logistics just become a pain in the ass. Same goes for solar energy.
>>
>>74793819
Does that pic take into account Gen 5 breeder reactors?

I know the efficiency may be slightly higher, but the real gain is being able to use spent nuclear waste as fuel. Something the chart does not explain.
>>
File: rippetoe come on.png (156 KB, 434x341) Image search: [Google]
rippetoe come on.png
156 KB, 434x341
>>74793819
>mfw greenfags are against hydroelectic power because >MUH HABITAT DESTRUCTION
>>
because they kill birds, don't generate that much electricity for the size and effort, and are ridiculously unreliable to base a power grid on

tidal generation is the only renewable that's reliable and doesn't completely fuck the environment
>>
>>74793941
here in germany it takes 2 weeks to assemble 1 turbine completely. one of the newer bigger models too. 1 piece costs 1 million euro. You start profiting after 5 years, with the bigger ones even earlier.
>>
>>74793300
No one wants to live near them and they take up a lot of space. Not too bad to put in farmer's fields, but they are quite noisy.
>>
>>74793995
source is a document from eurelectric. I think it's from an older version because the chart in the new one is similar but goes into greater detail.
www.eurelectric.org/Download/Download.aspx?DocumentID=13549
>>
>>74794046
Do you think it's more likely we'll build another Hoover Dam or blow up the existing one?
>>
>>74794098
Germany is NOTHING compared to the US. Did you ever step outside of your basement? Wind power is not feasible on a larger scale and it isn't even feasible for us. we have to cover peak loads with energy from our neighbours.
>>
>>74793300
The noise they emit can cause sickness to people nearby
>>
>>74794311
like i said, because our government is retarded. if MERKEL would invest in energy, we wouldnt have t buy shit from france and dennmark. greedy cunts
>>
>>74794233
Sweet, thanks.

I'd like to see a stronger push for education on newer reactors. Especially about how reliable new ones are.

Then maybe we can see some meme thorium reactors.
>>
File: deadly breadly.png (667 KB, 958x553) Image search: [Google]
deadly breadly.png
667 KB, 958x553
>>74793392
Nice one.
>>74793406
Truthfully, the wind doesn't always blow. That's why we build them in the seas.
>>74793634
No, there isn't. But eventually we're going to run out of coal and environment if we carry on this way.
>>74793691
Coal will ruin the world in about 30-40 years.
>>74793716
Most non-renewable sources are pretty fucking ugly when they spill. Actually, they just look bad.
Birds will be fine.
Everything has to be repaired.
Oil spills, and will disappear one day. But you're right, it's cheaper.
>>74793941
This one is right. Honestly, it's annoying too.
>>
>>74794253
I don't see anyone campaigning to destroy hoover dam (because that would also cause habitat destruction, ecocucks don't see the hypocrisy). However, a lot changes if progressivism goes unchecked. Just 10 years ago nobody would've cared about trannies. Now it's the next civil rights march. So who knows?

Don't see them building any more dams though, unfortunately.
>>
>>74793300
NIMBY
>>
>>74794471
do you krauts have a Congress or anything? All I hear is "Merkel this and that." Seems out of any country you fucks would have implemented checks and balances
>>
turned out to be the full on retard form of energy. T Boone Pickens doesn't even want to do it anymore.
>>
>>74794612
our government is a piece of shit. You have to purge everybody, total cleanup.
It full of green liberals that care more about arab shitskins having enough money to buy drugs than to develop economy.
The big companies are fleeing this country now for years. i work at siemens as an instructor. 2/3 of the factory is allready been moved to romania. Nobody wants to pay taxes to this piece of shit government. Merkel is just the final nail in the coffin.
>>
>>74794612
We do, but shit is fucked backwards. Our system gradually morphed into a presidential system like yours, they just filled the ranks of the gubbment with spineless cunts that do whatever their queen commands. It is sickening. Anyway >>74794471
the shit they did with our glorious Energiewende just boggles my mind every day. I work in the energy sector (luckily not PV) and nobody can fathom how many incompetent people had to come together to engineer such a shitshow.
>>
File: nuclear%20energy.jpg (212 KB, 500x338) Image search: [Google]
nuclear%20energy.jpg
212 KB, 500x338
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.