[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Opinions on electric car?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: GTE2.jpg (136 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
GTE2.jpg
136 KB, 640x480
Do you thinks it's gonna become necessary to have one since the oil is gonna die?
Do you want to get BTFO in gas stations when you'll find out there is no more oil and electric car fags will look at you and laugh?
>>
>>74789963
Superior speed, safety, fuel, maintenance. Oil is never going to die you're stupid. Electric cars will eventually be the norm anyway though because battery technology will become so cheap throughout time.
>>
government will just figure out another way to jew you
>>
if you hate arabs you should support electric cars instead of oil ones
>>
>>74790167
tbqh famalam battery technology could be better if it wasnt undermined. Until those petrolfucks find another way to profit this much , we are stuck with oil.
>>
>>74789963
If charging up my car didn't take three centuries, I would heavily consider buying one
>>
>>74790457
>8 hours of sleep
>8 hours of work
>minimum of 16 hours a day during which to charge your car

a literal non-issue
>>
It's not necessary, it will just be superior.

Pretty much every aspect of an electric motor is superior to an ICE (internal combustion).

The only advantage of ICE is the higher energy density of fossil fuels. The advance of battery technology fixes that and makes combustion shit.

Electric is the future. Even combustion based cars are putting in electric engines to reduce turbo lag.
>>
It's hard gay, but I don't hate people for wanting to try it out.

One actually good idea that came along was using electric cars as a house battery in case the electrical grid went down.
>>
>>74789963
Good idea but is not going to kill oil companies. Natural gas will be used to generate electricity, and oil electrical plant capacity will grow.
>>
>>74790615
>Time to fuel a car with petrol that can go 300+ miles: 5 minutes
>Time to charge a car that can go 100 miles if that: 12 hours
>non-issue
>>
>>74789963
electric cars are stupid. atleast here they are. -30 degrees celcius and you wont get far with it.
hydrogen, ethanol and methanol are better alternatives.
>>
>>74790655
>The advance of battery technology fixes that
Lithium is the lightest metal. The kWh/kg you can get from a battery will never match the energy density of organic compounds. You will always be bound by charging at a rate proportional to the capacity of the battery. I can fill my 90 L tank of fuel in 90 seconds.
>>
>>74790762
It will reduce oil consumption by a lot. Currently like 2/3rds of oil goes towards transport.
>>
>>74790615
Not everyone lives with a desk job.
Not everyone stays home on the weekend.
Not everyone stays home on holidays.
Not everyone has a charging point near their place of work.
>>
Electric cars have better acceleration and seem to be the ones being automated. Getting one as soon as I can afford it. Oil isn't going to die any time soon though, America is floating on enough for ~200 years that we know of. We're just using up everybody else's oil first because we aren't retarded and want to be kings of the world when idiots run out
>>
>>74789963
The electric cords are impractical. How far can you realistically go while still plugged into the wall?
>>
>Nobody mentions that charging the car costs almost nothing compared to a full fuel tank
>>
>>74790921

>lol just ride your bike to uni then;^)
>>
>>74791097
>>74790921
again, the only situation this would be a problem in would be if you happen to never sleep and your work requires you to drive all day
>>
>>74791110
>better acceleration
There is no better acceleration than pushing your foot down and listening to the open-throated roar of your engine.

Listen to this glorious V12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5rGyP6SSYM
>>
>>74789963
Oh there will be oil. Venezuala is treating their substantial reserves as though they're the plague. Once they succumb to market pressures and privatise their oil industry again, the spice will flow. This will take some time.

I love electric cars. Instant peak torque, potentially more horsepower when cooling performance of the batteries improves and cheaper to fuel up, even if it takes a while.

But back to oil, recently Ars Cucknica had an article on a new type of fuel injection that improves the thermal efficiency of petrol engines up to 50%, evidence being that Mercedes was using it in their Formula 1 engines ever since they were forced to use the turbocharged V6 and the other marques having caught up with that development this season.

So at the very least we will witness the death of diesel. Yay for that.
>>
>>74789963
>slower
>more expensive
>but muh carbon footprint
Cuckmobile. Legend says that if you say ''I have an electric car'' you can hear a woman's inner vagina walls closing
>>
>>74789963
Probably a good idea for cities if there are enough charging ports dotted around since they're good if you only want to commute as you charge it over night.

Not a good idea if you need to go far frequently, if you have inconsistent hours or like to go for drives for fun
>>
>>74789963
We're a few millennia away from peak oil given the new detection and drilling technologies available
>>
Electrical engineer here.
There's 4 areas that can be improved on electric cars.

>Time to Charge
Go browse a battery catalog. Not the AAA batteries you put on your remote, I mean shit like UPS and other stuff like that.
Some batteries are made specifically to charge quickly. This is a field that is getting developed and heavily, especially in europe.

>Acess to charging point
One of the more revolutionary ideas was a charging mat. Hasn't cleared testing phase yet, but imagine a sheet of metal that stays on the parking lot. You park on top of it, car lowers a pair of clamps (raises it when you start the engine) and it charges from there.
Main problem is electromagnetic forces fucking people with old pacemakers (one near death that I know of).
If you want to see something like this but smaller, it's being made for cellphones.

>The engine itself.
Simply put, electrical engines have seen many, many improvements in the last 20 years alone.
Ask any engineer, especially mechanical one's. The combustion engine has had improvements but the basis remained the same for more than 100 years.
Electrical engines have had several "mutations" and are nowadays highly efficient. In fact, if you get caught setting up a factory using an electrical engine with an efficiency lower than 98%, you can be fined.
The industrial market is the one demanding better electrical engines (for manufacturing) and they indirectly contribute to the improvement of electrical engines in cars.

>The autonomy
Biggest problem so far. Bigger battery = more weight, and you'll need more energy to move the car. Using VEV and other techniques, you can already extend the durability of the battery, but this is somethign that still needs working.

All in all, Electric cars are indeed the future.
But the future might still take a couple of years to come.
>>
File: seafuel.jpg (142 KB, 1087x664) Image search: [Google]
seafuel.jpg
142 KB, 1087x664
>>74789963
You can produce liquid fuels that are 1 to 1 replacements for fuel made from oil using hydrogen and carbon extracted from water.

Carbon in the atmosphere (CO and CO2) is absorbed by water reaching an equilibrium between the air and water. Hydrogen + carbon = hydrocarbons which is the base of all fossil fuels.

The problem is that to free hydrogen from water it takes a large amount of energy. However when you heat water to near it's super critical point (the point at which no matter the pressure it still flashed to steam) the electrical energy cost for hydrolysis drops faster than the heating cost. Or to put it another way it becomes cheaper energy wise to perform hydrolysis.

With a high temperature nuclear reactor you have access to useless for transport energy in the form of heat and after generation electricity. But with that energy you can economically produce liquid fuels that meet or exceed the spec requirements for internal combustion engines. (jet, gas, diesel).

The US navy is researching this and has work prototypes that make fuel from sea water.

Vid related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8zOHZINyG8

The really good part is that you can make fuel in low grid demand times, keep 100% of the engines we have and all the distribution infrastructure.

In short fuck the electric car.
>>
>>74790355
Not really

When you study the physics of batteries you'll see that we are pretty much at the limit of what they can do given current tech
>>
>>74790615
t. wage slave
>>
>>74791042
There are much better potential energy densities for electric batteries than what currently exist on market.

It's not an exponential improvement area, but it is getting better and there is a mad rush for better energy storage.
>>
>>74791645
How about you read the OP post first you giant faggot. OP is talking about the future and literally all of these problems are going to be fixed later.
Also it is debatable if the electric car is even more expensive since it's fuel costs almost nothing compared to combustibles
>>
File: o face.png (23 KB, 92x115) Image search: [Google]
o face.png
23 KB, 92x115
>>74791414

These women appear to disagree
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpaLgF1uLB8
>>
It is the best way to not giving Arabs terrorists money.
>>
>>74789963
just try and charge your car and it'll cure you of electric car bullshit in 30 seconds.

> we just need more stations!!!!!
there will never be enough considering you have to leave it there for so long.

The perfected form of the electric car is the hybrid. why the fuck don't electric car faggots see this?
>>
>>74791414
Even better when it's got wheels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ0u9iRTWyI
>>
>>74791848
if you're unemployed then you clearly are not the target market for a new fucking car
>>
>>74791880
>There are much better potential energy densities for electric batteries than what currently exist on market.
Even a factor of ten improvement won't match organics. And the best part about organics is that the mass of the vehicle decreases with travel. The is particularly useful for aeroplanes.
>>
>>74791943
Same reason they don't see how thorium reactors and Gen 4 uranium reactors are much better than solar/wind farms. It's a bloody religion to these people.
>>
>>74791895
I had a 90S press car for a few days. It is fun, but after a few runs the fans turn on and it slows down a lot. It is great from 0-60 but then starts to fall on its ass.
>>
>>74791970
I love that thing. Some people just don't get it.

I drove an old Duramax 6.6 turbo-diesel for a few thousand miles and that thing ran like a champ.
>>
>>74789963
You add one more step into the energy consumption cycle.

A petrol/diesel engine just burns the "fossil fuel" directly, and quite efficiently these days might I add.

Apparently these electric cars are better for the environment. How do you charge your electric car? Plug it into an outlet, of course.

But where does this electricity come from? Power plants, which generate the power from--you guessed it--fossil fuels.

These electric cars aren't nearly as efficient as petrol/diesel engines, and consume even more energy to operate. But liberals don't care about this and buy these dumb machines anyway because they feel better about themselves doing it. And that's all that matters in the world.
>>
>>74792035
Youd be surprised. Debts dont seem to bother a lot of people.
>>
How fast does a set up in the OP takes to charge the car?
>>
>>74789963
>the oil is gonna die

civilization with it, no more plastics etc
>>
>>74791813
The electric engine isn't the solution or the problem with the electric car. It is and likely always will be it's power source; be it a fuel cell or a battery.

You need a lightweight, cheap, long lasting, fast to charge, non toxic, high energy density, low maintenance battery for the electric car to work in anything other than a government mandated method.

In short you need a magic battery.
>>
>>74790921
everything you just said is fucking bullshit

superchargers can charge at 185 miles an hour. within 10 years that will be possible at your own home.
>>
>>74789963
>fossil fuels running our so cars need to be powered by the electric grid
>electric grid runs on fossil fuels

but it might be different for you, mr. frog. if i remember right your country doesn't shit its oants over nuclear energy like mine
>>
>>74789963
If they can work out the charging/storage problems, they'd be fine.

As are, I'm concerned that the low travel distance between charges will encourage even greater urban centralization, with more and more of the population ending up concentrated in densely populated cities as opposed to being spread out in smaller towns and rural areas.
>>
>>74791414
this desu
Just got back from Cordova dragway a little bit ago. Fucking awesome. I don't want to live in a world of faggy electric cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqSPA-2c5AA
>>
File: pepe-comfy-trump.jpg (376 KB, 670x424) Image search: [Google]
pepe-comfy-trump.jpg
376 KB, 670x424
When do we get self driving cars? I can't wait to have my blanky and a comfy book and read during my commute. I hope it has an electric fireplace and place to put a Trump portrait too!
>>
>>74789963
>Do you thinks it's gonna become necessary to have one since the oil is gonna die?

No.

But for driving around in the city electric is really nice.
If my daily commute was mainly city driving I would get one.
>>
>>74792457
>more and more of the population ending up concentrated in densely populated cities as opposed to being spread out in smaller towns and rural areas.

That's already happening
>>
>>74789963
we'll run out of lithium before we run out of oil

/endthread
>>
>>74789963
Oil is naturally made by the core of the Earth. It will NEVER run out.
>>
>>74789963
we will never run out of oil. it will just be increasingly sanctioned out of your hands, but the earth will always have a little more for some purpose, for the right buyer. yet again, people with more money have it better than you.

but not really. electric is definitely the future.
>>
>>74792217
they think you can solve everything with windmills, solar panels and dams not knowing they'll kill all the birds and freshwater fish. things they never think about. things i'm very aware of since the sun isn't present over 60% of the year, after finding dead birds under windmills and trying to fish in a dammed up river.
>>
>>74792523
nobody cares
>>
Batteries will get better, no question about it.

Used to think electric cars were hype. Parents recentl got a 90k tesla, fkn awesome car. The wife and I are thinking of getting one.

Petroleum based engines will persist, particularly in 3rd world and developing countries but electric cars are the way of the future, just a matter of time.
>>
It's a niche technology that will, for now, be limited to people who drive very little.
This means it's going have a TON of trouble catching on in america but, in smaller countries like Japan, it'll have better luck.
>>
File: 1445891755771.jpg (40 KB, 408x544) Image search: [Google]
1445891755771.jpg
40 KB, 408x544
>>74792604
We have artillery batteries. We'll be fine.
>>
>>74792565
>having a car
>in the netherlands
This is pure laziness. You can go everywhere you want by bicycle, and on the rare occasion that you need to go somewhere far, you can take the train.
>>
>>74791814
There goes the hopes and dreams of oil ending
bye bye fishies
>>
>>74792217
Low IQ subhuman discovered

Electric is much more efficient in virtually all ways.

First, you completely ignored a key point of transportation of the fuel.
>>
>>74792588
Yeah, I know, and I'd prefer if it didn't get accelerated anymore than it already is.
>>
>>74792316
Doesn't have to be long lasting or non-toxic if it's cheap to recycle them.
>>
>>74792605
I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding about how oil is made and, more importantly, the amount of time it takes to make it.
>>
>>74792848
Why?

City living is glorious.
And the more popular the city gets, the more the non-whites get pushed out to the suburbs.
>>
>>74792802
its hardly going to take a damaging amount of water
not to mention its not going to be anywhere near as destructive to the environment like solar panels, windmills and hydroelectric
>>
>>74792882
This^
>>
File: 1308407171001.jpg (31 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
1308407171001.jpg
31 KB, 400x388
>>74792827
>tfw your grid is on coal fire
>>
>>74792975
>wind power is bad for environment

lel because a fucking bird dies?
>>
>>74792438
Superchargers?
You mean the ones that destroy the cars $10,000 battery pack in a few years with constant use?
>>
>>74792882
He's a Christian, they don't believe in processes that take millions of years because it's not mentioned in the Bible.
>>
>>74792966
>drugs
>muggers
>subhumans
yeah, cities are great.
>>
>>74792827

Well, hold on, fagatron, how do they mine the materials to make batteries and then transport that material to factories?
>>
>>74792802
>There goes the hopes and dreams of oil ending
>bye bye fishies
I'm not sure I understand. You get the carbon from the water as well as the hydrogen. When you burn the fuel you release the carbon and hydrogen back into the atmosphere as CO2 and H2O.

Both the carbon and water return back to the bodies of water.

It's a closed cycle in terms of matter. The energy comes from nuclear reactors that are powering the process in the off peak times or as propose made reactors.

It's carbon neutral, and is limited only by our nuclear fuel which if we used breeder reactors is sufficient for billions of years.
>>
>>74792753
you cared enough to type "nobody cares" and send it, so that makes one at least
>>
>>74789963
Tell me you retarded baguette fuck. Where do you think most of the electricity that you put in those things come from?

That's right, by using FUCKING OIL.

Electric car drivers are some of the most retarded people. They think they are helping but really all they are doing is removing the """"""guilt"""""" of having to refuel with oil.
>>
>>74793186
unless you are from lake forest or lake bluff you don't matter.
>>
>>74793156
inconsequential in comparison to the constant transport of fossil fuels needed to power cars.
>>
>>74793156
>trying to argue rationally with somebody who literally believes in perpetual motion
>>
>>74792827
You're talking about a much higher energy density in electric cars than combustion engines.

Unless you can find a way to increase energy density past that of chemical potential in hydrocarbons, you can forget about it.
>>
>>74793230
They are helping though.

It aids in the transition away from fossil fuels. It's not effective at all currently, but letting retards think their solar panels help is important.
>>
>>74793272

Well answered.
>>
>>74793339
You don't need higher density.
>>
>>74793156
Exactly lol, like garbage recycling. Takes a separate truck, a separate machine to process...all petroleum based.
>>
>>74793064
>lel because a fucking bird dies?
Yeah, and it's ugly and it's loud as fuck and makes only a small fraction of the energy they can make at peak output.

The best wind turbines have outputs of only about 20% of their rated amounts over a year. When you add in the electrical operating costs of all the controls, heaters and waveform rectifiers that number drops to about 10%.
>>
>>74793407
Why aren't the garbage trucks electric?
>>
>>74793352
>It aids in the transition away from fossil fuels.
But raising the demand for coal and natural gas?
>>
>>74792217
but gas/electric (or better, diesel/electric) hybrid drivetrain vehicles are even more efficient since the engine can be run at its optimal speed for efficiency
at slower speeds all it does is generate energy until the battery is full, in which case it can shut off entirely
at higher speeds the engine augments and eventually takes over the drivetrain since it's running at close to optimal speed
Tiger 2s used it (just without a battery) but for a different reason, redundancy I guess
>>
>>74793156
>>74793407
Been a while since I read about this stuff, but in those original Honda's you'd have to drive them some 2 million miles to offset the damage you did building the batteries, compared to much less with petrol. They mine the ore in South America, then fly the shit to China, then make it all there, then ship it to the car factories...
>>
>>74793468
because trucks powered by diesel is unrivaled.
>>
>>74793468
Was actually thinking that while I was typing. I don't know but they aren't. The process as it is is prolly more taxing on the environment than just throwing everything away together.
>>
>>74792966
City living is shit.
>being able to see your neighbors
>loud fucks everywhere
>having to drive more than 20 minutes to mountain bike
>unable to have a personal orchard
>unable to stand naked on my yard boulder and piss while watching traffic on the highway below

Fuck that.
>>
>>74789963
I think eventually everyone but daily commuters will have easy access to "zipcar"/"cartogo" type cars and it will be easier and cheaper than owning your own car.

If you live in a city, owning a car is a large burden. But for most of America, you really can't exist without a car.
>>
>>74793520
It does though. It's a slow process and most of the things going on today have no real effect.

That said it helps the transition in the future. You have to start somewhere.
>>
>>74790921
>petrol
>burger
found the brit refugee
>>
>>74790615
I think it'll become such that the car will be able to pull into a charging station and once you line up the car, you press a button, and your battery is swapped for a fresh one for a small fee.
>>
>>74793522
But the process of converting mechanical energy into electrical energy then into chemical energy, then into electrical energy and finally back into mechanical energy is an important loss of efficiency. More than offsetting any savings from a modern engine running at sub optimal speeds.
>>
>>74791256
>>Nobody mentions that charging the car costs almost nothing compared to a full fuel tank
Nobody mentions that you pay 85% of your "fuel costs" upfront due to the cost of the battery. Or that the battery has an expiration date.
>>
>>74792966
>City living is glorious.
Big cities are shit. Noisy, dirty, cramped, pretentious, expensive, crime-ridden shit.
>>
>>74792966
I live in a big city. It's shit. Can't wait to get out of this hellhole.
>>
File: 1463098179487.jpg (585 KB, 1386x1386) Image search: [Google]
1463098179487.jpg
585 KB, 1386x1386
I got a Chevy Spark for free (thanks California) and get to charge it for free at work and at home.

Don't drive much, so it's perfect for me.
>>
>>74793816
that or he just watched a lot of Top Gear episodes.
>>
>>74793765
>It does though. It's a slow process and most of the things going on today have no real effect.
>That said it helps the transition in the future. You have to start somewhere.

Well I have a solution that not only gives us cheap liquid fuel it also lower our electrical costs, scales to any demand we can come up with and doesn't take massive amounts of space.

So why are we pissing away resources on electric cars and solar and wind when we have the nuclear solution at hand? Oh and you can keep every car and engine, distribution infrastructure and support industry.
>>
>>74793439
>>74793352
The burger isn't wrong. It certainly has made normies move away from other environmentally taxing things, that might be the point of it in the first place.

Still, doesn't fix shit.
>>
>>74793816
You have to admit that calling a liquid 'gas' is retarded, even if it's only shorthand for gasoline.
>>
See, here's the thing, right.

I'm always hearing from people that it works economically if you charge your car overnight, because of off-peak power rates, right?

But peak rates are peak rates because that's when demand is highest.

If everyone gets an electric car, demand is going to be up all the time, probably disproportionately within normally off-peak hours.

So the whole peak/off-peak dynamic is going to disappear, it will be a flat rate the whole fucking time, and it will not be cheap. It will in fact be expensive, because of the amount of current these thousands (millions?) of big-ass batteries are going to be pulling around the clock.
>>
>>74794101
Nuclear has a lot of problems still
>>
>>74791256
>>Nobody mentions that charging the car costs almost nothing compared to a full fuel tank
Because we don't yet charge electric vehicles the fuel taxes that we do normal liquid fueled vehicles.

That tax money is going to need to come from somewhere. So look forward to every dollar in lost taxes from fuels being applied to your electric bill.

So if fuel costs 50 cents a liter and has 75 cents of taxes. Your electric car that costs 5 cents a liter equivalent will have 75 cents of taxes added to it. Sure you save 45 cents in fuel costs but you still pay wildly more than your fuel costs.

Or at least you will if electric cars become popular. Right now electric cars get free rides from all the other vehicles.
>>
>>74794247
japan is fine, nothing to worry about, they'll dust it off, that could never happen here, that was a freak accident, we're much better and never have those, ever.
>>
>>74794101
>why no nuclear?
Because leftists look at Chernobyl and Fukushima, thinking it's entirely the fault of the nuclear fission process and that it has absolutely nothing to do with incompetent bureaucrats and bean counters taking control, breaking protocol and forsaking maintenance.

They're even unwilling to give thorium a chance, the safest nuclear fuel in the world.
The Cold War has certainly left their intelligence cold.
>>
>>74789963
Right now the technology is very crude, and not particularly helpful to the majority of consumers.

I suppose if you live in a country that is majority renewable/nuclear power you're producing less pollution, but for most countries.. you're simply switching out gasoline power for coal power.

But it is baby steps. If the market steers towards it, we might end up with more effective, cheaper electric cars in the future; right now they're mostly dickwaving and political pandering.
>>
>>74794218
It's not a big problem.

The only major problem is improving battery tech and cost.
>>
>>74794247
>Nuclear has a lot of problems still
Which is why I'm suggesting new breeder reactor designs that have none of the problems. (waste fuels and materials, high construction costs, high-ish fuel costs, danger to people and property)
>>
>>74793722
>>74793722
Depends on where u live honestly. I grew up in a rural part of florida, was an outdoorsman, hunted and fished a lot etc. have lived on the north side of chicago for the last 10 yrs and loved it. Will be moving back south in the next few yrs to a more country setting, but to make a blanket statement that "city living is shit" is naive and small-minded. City living can be an amazing experience if u do it right.
>>
>>74793897
theoretically though it'll allow you to use a direct drive system, which means you can put down a lot more power with a much smaller engine
>>
>>74794362
Current nuclear tech kind of sucks. When it can completely use up all the fuel instead of having waste to deal with, then it can be a big source.

If everyone switched to nuclear we would have Uranium problems.
>>
>>74789963
Personally, I like the idea of electric cars supplied by wind/solar/dam/coal/nuclear. Petroleum takes so much time to process and refine I won't be surprised if it becomes a side note in the energy field.
>>
>>74794364
>Because leftists look at Chernobyl and Fukushima, thinking it's entirely the fault of the nuclear fission process and that it has absolutely nothing to do with incompetent bureaucrats and bean counters taking control, breaking protocol and forsaking maintenance.

Well put on your brown shirt and go stomp some red retards on May 1st.
>>
>>74794513
Needn't be a problem.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorium_fuel_cycle
>>
>>74794164
>implying it doesn't need to change states to become useful
think with your brains eurotards
>>
>>74794406
>if you live in a country that is majority renewable/nuclear power you're producing less pollution
they say norways power comes from 98% renewable sources but that doesn't matter. the way the powergrid is set up we send half of our power out and get nuclear power from sweden and coal power from germany.
some power even comes from russia and that has to be something foul made from grotesque atrocities against nature.
>>
>>74792181

Why would you care about anything other than acceleration from 0-60? It's not like there's an autobahn in America
>>
>>74794686
Sounds p.cool. I'd like Russian power in my home; I feel like whenever I turn on the lights the USSR anthem would start blaring, but the lighting would be shit and dim.
>>
>>74794494
>heoretically though it'll allow you to use a direct drive system, which means you can put down a lot more power with a much smaller engine

What is a direct drive? Do you mean having the electric motor attached directly to a drive wheel?
>>
>>74794218
>If everyone gets an electric car, demand is going to be up all the time
I'd google some charts, but I only have them available for my country.
Basically, "peak hours" are peak because of the industry sector.
Most people don't really know, but a factory might consume enough power in a day to power your house a year.
Depends on the industry of course, but there's tons of specific studies Engineers have to make when taking care of an electrical network precisely because of the peak hour.
Balancing the i factor for instance is something that takes millions of dollars depending on the state you're in and how developed the industry sector is.
>>
>>74794767
The sheer pleasure of driving. My old 75HP shitbox with no power steering was one of the most fun things ever, even that one time where it pegged out one of the spark plugs and I could barely keep up with traffic.
>>
>>74794364
Yeah, and once you find a way to separate nuclear fission from the incompetent bureaucrats inherently involved with it, we can have this discussion again.
>>
>>74794767
car nuts are dumb

They can't stand that Tesla is the fastest vehicle.
>>
>>74789963

I will get one before oil dies.

I like the kind that have a backup gas generator. Good transition vehicle.

In my state we get electricity for free at night (off-peak hours) because we have a surplus of wind energy then. I will be charging my car for free, and also my Powerwall that will run my house during the day. My bill will be almost nothing.
>>
File: 1463938470315.jpg (49 KB, 403x403) Image search: [Google]
1463938470315.jpg
49 KB, 403x403
>>74789963

What about stanley meyers water fuel car?
>>
>>74794513
>When it can completely use up all the fuel instead of having waste to deal with, then it can be a big source.
So 1994.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experimental_Breeder_Reactor_II
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_%28reactor%29
>>
>>74794885
In my experience most people who have too much money to throw around for a Tesla as a status symbol can barely drive anyway. I'm sure there are some who can.
>>
>>74794767
It's a legitimate argument, but people do drive faster - and these are enthusiast that are more interested. Also after 3-4 runs on Ludacris mode, it starts really slowing down as the batteries heat up. You can't drive them as hard as a petrol car.

That said, I think this stuff will get better. It won't be like "the old days" and people will bitch for years about the sound and senses - and sure something will be lost - but, things move on, old fucks die, kids become the adults, and they won't care.
>>
>>74794767
Insecurity.
Likely caused by latent homosexuality.
>>
>>74794513

Thorium... can feed all the old waste we have into it for fuel too
>>
>>74794513
Tokamaks might be viable in the future.
I've been hearing a few things about it.
But the way reporters talk about it is sketchy.
"Infinite Power" my ass, physics state that such a thing is not possible.
>>
>>74794904
They literally SHUT IT DOWN
>>
>>74795009
Statements like that typically come from people of modest means (to put it gently).

High-end commodities aren't designed necessarily for "skilled" individuals, they're for people w money, plain and simple.
>>
>>74794686
That's because hydroelectric is a great on demand power source. You sell your hydro when electricity is expensive and buy electricity when it's cheap.

The grid demand curves of electrical power make something like hydro power hugely profitable when it can attach to a grid with large amounts of coal, nuclear, and other thermal sources online.

A coal plant can take as long as a week to get back up to full output from cold. Which is why they constantly burn some fuel to keep the whole thing hot. If someone wants to buy your power at night when demand drops to 20% of peak you jump at the opportunity to sell your power.
>>
>>74792966
Cities are multicultural epicenters
>>
>>74789963

the rare earth materials that batteries are made from will run our before fossil fuels will

so batteries will have to be completely rethought
>>
>>74793064
Windmills create something called "grid resonance"

It's very destructive on existing electrical infrastructure
>>
>>74793272
It's not at all

It's why driving a 50 year old used truck is more environmentally sound than purchasing a new Prius

The amount of resources needed to produce that new car is tremendous and is not offset by its lower carbon emissions
>>
>>74794871
>Basically, "peak hours" are peak because of the industry sector.
Nope.

Peak demand hits at 4-9PM or 5-10PM because everyone goes home, turns on the TV, computer, lights and cooks dinner, washes clothes, vacuums, has some tea.

Industrial use tends to be steady and makes up most of the base load. They also tend to communicate any huge demand swings to the utilities.

The electric car will hit when everyone plugs in during the day after driving to work, then right when they get home making peak demand way worse. It would be better if people didn't charge their cars till 11PM or midnight. Or even better 1AM.

Maybe a law or a smart charger might fix that. But I doubt people will accept that, or will accept getting hit with a massive peak demand price premium.
>>
>>74795389
>the rare earth materials that batteries are made from will run our before fossil fuels will
Do the people spouting this shit even know anything about batteries?
The minerals in the battery don't burn up.
Lythium doesn't desintegrated into smaller atoms or disappear.
Would be awesome if we did, meant our phones run on atomic fission.

Here's a simply way to put it:
>You take the atoms
>You arrange them in a certain pattern
>That pattern responds to electric fields with a very high capacitive effect
>atoms shift and the arrangement collapses as electrical current flows through them
>after a few cycles, a great portion of the structure has collapsed
The mineral is still 100% there.
You guys realize you can recycle batteries, right? That was the big innovation about lithium. It's not just the "lasts longer". It's the whole deal about recycling them.
>>
>>74795321
I could go out and but a Tesla if I really wanted to. But I don't want one.

You don't have to put it to me gently.
>>
File: demand by sector & type.jpg (104 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
demand by sector & type.jpg
104 KB, 1600x900
>>74789963

the electricity doesn't magically appear out of nowhere

DESU though I wish USA was like France and used nuclear for like 75% of electricity generation, but our """"environmentalists"""" killed it decades ago in favor of coal/oil/gas
>>
>>74795751
What he means is that we will run out of what we make batteries from before everyone has a car battery.
Not that we consume the battery material.

I'm not sure about that claim, but I do know it will cause a price rise as the cheap minerals are extracted and we need to spend more money on extraction.
>>
>>74795732
That's weird.
In my country (Portugal) peak hours start at 7am and end at 7pm from monday to saturday.
I'm talking about substations and other infractusture that the national electrical grid has to manage though.

As for the prices, it's another entity that governs that. I wouldn't know about their policies because I don't pay electricity yet.
>>
>>74795751

that'd be awesome if we had a huge, huge pile to recycle already

gonna be a bitch to make all cars with that type of battery
going to get insanely expensive

the batteries as-is will not work on a massive scale-up
>>
>>74795842
I apologize, that was unnecessary.

20 yrs ago I would have said the same thing. Today, I have much more money than time and I just see shit differently.

Didn't mean to imply anything.
>>
>>74795936
>>74796156
Ah, haven't really thought about it from that angle.
Well, there's the chance Lithium hasn't been properly mined I guess.
People were saying oil was gonna run out in 2015 for isntance, and here we are.
Other than that, we're gonna need another kind of battery.

A more futuristic approach to energy transportation was creating some sort of "beam" that can transport energy efficiently.
You could then have that beam run along roads, and feed of the cars moving in them.
>>
>>74793884
>swapping a brand new cherry battery pack in my $100,000 electric toy with some filthy heavily-used refurb at a Paki owned gas station
>paying them for the privilege

No.
>>
File: Electricity-demand.png (15 KB, 472x323) Image search: [Google]
Electricity-demand.png
15 KB, 472x323
>>74795983
>In my country (Portugal) peak hours start at 7am and end at 7pm from monday to saturday.
So at 7AM you hit 100% of your daily max and stay at 100% till 7PM?

What happens in the US and Canada is as follows.

6AM to 8AM 20%-35%
8AM to 12AM 35%-65%
12AM to 4PM 65-80%
4PM to 11PM 100%
11PM-1AM 100%-20%
1AM-6AM 20%

Pic is similar but for the UK.
>>
>>74796393
I honestly don't care. I also have more money than time, but I just don't see value in throwing it around like nothing.

I'm thinking what might make me happy is like an old Miata with an LS1 swap perhaps. Unfortunately what it really takes is making connections to get what you want.
>>
File: 200_s[1].gif (58 KB, 481x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s[1].gif
58 KB, 481x200
>>74794164
>You have to admit that calling a liquid 'gas' is retarded
>>
>>74793884
completely infeasible
>>
>>74789963
I don't think pure electric vehicles will ever catch on in the US. Hybrids will likely become even more efficient and better performing.

Of course in 30 years or more? Who knows. They are at the mercy of advances in battery technology.
>>
>>74790355

> every time something doesn't happen as fast as I want it to happen it's because of a conspiracy

Yeah me2 senpai, I'm still waiting for Nikola Tesla's magic free energy machine.
>>
>>74790921
People from small countries don't understand how large the US is. If you own a Chevy Volt in Virginia and want to drive to see family in Florida it will turn a 1-2 day trip in to 4 or 5.
>>
>>74797088
Hydrogen is the future in north America.
In cityscapes electric will have the advantages but with lack of parking there's no real reason to get a car at all if you live in the city
>>
>>74797400
besides, how will people charge when they don't have their own parking spot?
>>
>>74797294
>People from small countries don't understand how large the US is. If you own a Chevy Volt in Virginia and want to drive to see family in Florida it will turn a 1-2 day trip in to 4 or 5.
From Richmond to Miami it's only 13hrs.

Fucking east coasters think stuff is far away.
>>
>>74797400
>there's no real reason to get a car at all if you live in the city
Oh is that why the city people without a car always want me to drive them and their shit around?
>>
>>74790921
Unless it's cold outside, then you won't make it to the store and back.
>>
>>74797400
>but with lack of parking there's no real reason to get a car at all if you live in the city

Seems less like a problem with cars than it does a problem with cities.
>>
>>74796606
Something like this:https://blasfemias.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/carga.jpg
Some other sources for my country do list higher values for the 8PM period, but those are usually on weekends.
But you know, half this country is industry, and the other half is tourism. And a large part of the population only has a single television at home.
The US does have a culture of "get home, turn all appliances on".
No offense, though.
>>
>>74789963
>>74790167
>>74790457
>>74790615
why dont they make it so there is a removable battery and you just switch out the battery when you run low instead of charging the battery? the batteries could then be charged while a different one is at use. gas stations could have a place where you insert your dead battery and some money and a new charged one is dispensed and the dead one stays there and is charged so another person could swap out for it
>>
>>74797603
I don't see what you're bitching about. I said A 1-2 day trip. A couple without kids will do it in a day. People with kids might elect to do it in 2.

An electric car will force you to do it in 4 or 5 I.e. You won't be able to do it without using 4-5 vacation days for travel and no one will do that.

If your point is that you're an argumentative douche then yes, I get your point.
>>
>>74797963
Half a day. 13hrs.
>>
File: 1410293934672.jpg (83 KB, 589x333) Image search: [Google]
1410293934672.jpg
83 KB, 589x333
>>74789963
Even if oil were infinite, electric cars are still superior.

>They are more efficient, since they run off a power station, rather than a small engine.
>They move pollution from heavily populated cities to areas where it can dissipate.
>The design is generally safer (Tesla's, for example, have a low centre of mass, so are unlikely to flip over, and they have a much larger crumple zone at the front due to the lack of an engine block)
>Require less maintenance due to less moving parts

Don't get me wrong, fossil fuel cars have their benefits, but I think in the long run, electric will 'win'

The use of Lithium in the battery concerns me though, since the supply isn't infinite.
>>
>>74789963
Oil was supposed to run out decades ago, funny how environmental fear mongering never pans out. EV's are a long ways from challenging traditional ICE cars, and more importantly trucks. The reason gas stations are all over is because of freight, not consumer cars.
>>
>>74797952
Because the batteries cost about $12,000 each.
Are you going to swap out a $12,000 part of your car for some random replacement?
Who pays to fix them when they wear out?
>>
>>74789963
>since the oil is gonna die

When will this meme end

Oil will never die, it's a renewable resource like honey
>>
>>74798236
>Because the batteries cost about $12,000 each.
but your getting another identical one back so it doesnt matter
>>
>>74789963
Whats Volkswagen is that
>>
>>74798145
The efficiency is about twice as much for a plant over an ICE before you have to account for the transmission loss, charging loss, discharge loss, engine loss.

The best measure of efficiency is cost. What is the untaxed cost of liquid fuel vs the untaxed cost of electric charge. Then factor for the cost of equipment over the lifespan of the vehicle.
>>
>>74798491
>but your getting another identical one back so it doesnt matter
And who pays for the replacement?
What if the one you got only gives you half the output of the one you gave them?
>>
>>74798491
My entire car cost $12k and I don't need somebody who can't even spell to replace anything.
>>
>>74790167
>superior speed

nope
>>
>>74793178
My town is on an island and all of our electricity is generated by a dam which was designed with the expectation that our electrical needs would grow exponentially (our usage since has actually dropped). I've always wondered what they could be doing to monetize their extra capacity.

Any idea how efficient it would be to convert CO2 and H2O into fuel? ie could it be done profitably/in any significant amount?
>>
>>74794874
Driving is a chore. Even when I've driven sportier cars its not fun.
>>
>>74790921
most electrics can do 200-250 nowadays, and thats only getting better with time

it's eventually going to come to a point in which electrics can last longer than normal cars, i'd assume - or maybe not, considering gas car efficiency is also getting better

either way, i want a tesla model s just because it's cool as shit

oil's not going to run out while I'm alive, so that's not the concern, but i don't want beijing-tier cities either
>>
>>74798626
>untaxed cost
Don't bring money into the equation man.
I know that the financial angle does weight in on the choice.
But you should measure efficiency on how much energy it wastes.
ICE have a very low efficiency compared to plants.
The untaxed cost of each engine is subject to many external factors that do not matter when designing the engine.
Petrol price goes up? ICE is less efficient.
Lithium gets scarce? Plant is less efficient.
3rd world country invaded by the US? ICE is more efficient.
CERN applies a miniature tokamak in the back of the car? Plant is more efficient.

Maybe I'm approaching this as a scientist, rather than an economist, and I should do both since that's pretty much what an engineer is.
But involving money also ends up involving politics in it, and that's something we really shouldn't be doing.
>>
>>74798063
You're an argumentative douche. I told you I already got the point. You can go microwave a hot pocket now.
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 736x552) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 736x552
>>74796827
I hear you. Never really had any classics other than a 77 corvette. Seriously thinking about getting a 1957 Chevy 3100 and having everything underneath rebuilt/modernized. As far as color will either go w Indian turquoise (pictured) or black w red accents.
>>
>>74798979
>beijing-tier cities
Fellow warning to ameribros.
I got a friend who moved to china for a year and came back. Reason for returning was precisely that one. The air is pretty much poison. You can live well in china if you live away from cities, but you also don't get proper healthcare or shit like that.
He told me stories about using those breathing masks on the streets, but I think that's an exageration (or would occur very rarely at least).
>>
>>74798949
>Any idea how efficient it would be to convert CO2 and H2O into fuel? ie could it be done profitably/in any significant amount?
In a different video from a US Navy researcher they said they predicted a cost for a ship borne refinery at $3 a gallon to make jet fuel (JP-5).

Draw your own conclusions for an industrial scale land based refinery.
>>
>>74798957
We all have different ways of looking at life, and we don't need to agree on everything. But driving is one of the few simple pleasures we have left in my opinion.
>>
>>74798957
>Driving is a chore
lmao fag

nothing better than loud music, a comfy seat and a qt in the seat next to you

and nothing gets her hotter than asking if she's had an orgasm at 90 mph
>>
>>74789963
We could easily start to invest more into new nuclear technology like Molten Salt Reactors. Technology that was very promising even 50+ years ago. Once we have a better method for creating electricity, we can move towards EVs.
>>
File: f-zero-review-snes-2.jpg (50 KB, 500x384) Image search: [Google]
f-zero-review-snes-2.jpg
50 KB, 500x384
>>74791131
>How far can you realistically go while still plugged into the wall?
>>
We have more important issues. Like moving niggers into white suburbs.
>>
>>74798676
>And who pays for the replacement?
who pays for the gas pumps? its a trade anyway so there will always be the same amount of batteries in the machine

>What if the one you got only gives you half the output of the one you gave them?
the machine would only dispense fully charged batteries. there would be more then one battery in the machine so there is always a fully charged one ready.

>>74798687
ad hominem
>>
>>74799313
That's done already. HUD now pays for houses everywhere.
>>
File: 1446744569833.gif (2 MB, 331x248) Image search: [Google]
1446744569833.gif
2 MB, 331x248
>>74789963
>I drive an electric car
>>
>>74791131
depends how long the wire is
>>
>>74799336
You call it ad hominem. I'll call it turning wrenches on a happy weekend afternoon, and then hooning it like a retard.
>>
>>74791826
>physics isn't a constantly changing field
>technology isn't rapidly accelerating
WEW
>>
>>74799003
I use money because it is a perfect abstraction of the total efficiency of a system. It accounts for all the production costs of each part.

I say untaxed cost because liquid fuel has massive taxes placed on it that currently electricity doesn't.

You can calculate your current cost for your current location using simple research tools like the price of a car and the price of fuel/electricity.

It's easier than trying to account for the energy efficiency of a power plant, your electrical grid, the charging station, battery and then motor.

~

It's just about impossible to approach this from the point of actual calculation because so much of the system is unknown to you. But it's easy to look at the price.
>>
>>74799415
Look mate, you're not really adding anything to the discussion.
The meme of "electric cars are for teh gays XD" is widely known and kind of a beat horse by now.
>>
>>74799191
Except you only think that because you're culturally groomed to.

And aside from my cock, my qt gets off on 5.56 and 7.62 so cars are irrelevant anyway.

Also, cars are designed to harvest your money, under the guise of being cool or fun. You're effectively falling for a massive scam if you do anything but buy the cheapest shitbox possible.

>hinging your identity on the 4-wheeled Jew
>>
>>74799164
I wonder how the number would change if you were using fresh water instead of sea water. I'm sure with our local government run utilities they'd find a way to fuck it up anyway
>>
>>74790457

My car charges in 4 hours at 240v.
>>
>>74799088
>You're an argumentative douche. I told you I already got the point. You can go microwave a hot pocket now.
13hrs is half of a day. A full day is around 24 hours. Claiming that it takes a day to drive from Virginia to Florida is objectively false.
>>
>>74799640
you make a lot of assumptions there duder

not sure if you're genuinely dumb, or projecting
>>
>>74792446
>electric grid runs on fossil fuels
also

electric grids will have to be upgraded / replaced in many areas, which will lead to increased costs to the local citizens (even those who don't drive)

Think of any area or major city that has "brown outs" during summer time & now imagine if most people had electric cars and had to charge them.

I know that where I currently live, that may be a problem. Anyone know how much electricity it uses, compared to other things, appliances etc., to charge these things?
>>
>>74799652
>not having 480v phase three and charging in 40 minutes
>>
>>74799785
what shittown are you living in that you have brownouts?
>>
>>74799571
It's never completely untaxed though.
Might be the only flaw in your system.
Extracting fuel takes manpower. Manpower must be paid and that costs taxes (and depends on the whole economy).
Moving fuel also costs manpower that must be paid, and again, taxes.

The price to manufacture something can widely differ thanks to globalism.
The efficiency of a smartphone factory is the same on the US or tawain, but when you start measuring it in money, yeah it's more "efficient" in taiwan.

It's more of a personal pet peeve of mine though. I realize talking about efficney in pure energy exhange terms isn't realistic.

Though personally, I think that after fiat currency ends and collapses, we'll finnaly see energy being used as currency.
>>
heah's my electric CAH!!

all you youngstas gonna die of da zika viral
>>
>>74799640
>cars are designed to harvest your money, under the guise of being cool or fun.
That may be, but doesn't change the fact that a lot of cars are simply fun as hell to drive.
>>
On the contrary, electric vehicles will become so commonplace that we have an oil surplus and I can finally own a gas guzzling old car without paying out the ass.
>>
>>74799790
>40 mins for a fill up is acceptable
Nope
>>
>>74799642
All large bodies of water absorb carbon from the atmosphere. The Great Lakes do, as do larger lakes in northern Canada. Something like the size or surface area of Lake Mead does as well.

It happens on all scales (you can do this with a fish tank) but to get enough carbon out you need enough carbon in.

So it's likely not viable for many interior US states. Not that they don't already ship in refined fuels from the Gulf Coast or Great Lakes area.
>>
>>74797952
Look up a pic of these batteries pls
>>
>>74799336
Its not one normal car battery it's like a 200 kilo bank of batteries as part of the car
>>
>>74799887
>It's never completely untaxed though.
Look, the price of fuel is X, add to it your fuel taxes.

I pay a national sales tax, a national flat tax per liter and a provincial fuel tax.

So if the raw cost if 50 cents a liter I might pay 45 cents in fuel taxes.

It's stupid to compare the final taxed price of fuel to the cost of electricity that doesn't have those extra non sales taxes applied to it. When electric cars become common those 'fuel' taxes will be added to your charging costs.

>Extracting fuel takes manpower. Manpower must be paid and that costs taxes (and depends on the whole economy).
Moving fuel also costs manpower that must be paid, and again, taxes.

*sigh*

The FUCKING EXTRA FUEL TAXES. Just that. Nothing else.
>>
File: rtx15jfn.jpg (347 KB, 3500x2345) Image search: [Google]
rtx15jfn.jpg
347 KB, 3500x2345
>>74800075
these?
>>
>>74799768

Not really. Think about it. Cars were designed solely to move people from A to B better than a horse could. The basics, 4 wheels and a motor, really havent changed fundamentally.

So aside from building them more efficient/cheaper to operate, or able to carry more cargo or move passengers more safely, you cant really improve the way a car accomplishes its fundamental mission.

But simple people, like my coworkers who watch NASCAR, find the speed exciting. Car companies play on that, and the bizarre phenomenon of people attaching their ego and identity to their vehicle. These types of people allow themselves to be manipulable. Its disgusting and characteristic of weak will.

Im in upper management at my company and could afford a brand new vehicle, but Ive come to purposely drive the same crap vehicle Ive owned for years as a statement honestly. I had to replace the hood and have intentionally not even bothered to rattlecan it. The primer black makes sure people know IDGAF.

It costs me money, which is a direct conversion of my time, which is finite. Therefor it deserves to be punished and neglected of any maintenance not directly effecting its fundamental purpose of either 1. Getting me to work or 2. Getting me to something Id rather be doing besides working or driving.
>>
>>74800394
Have a burger.
>>
>>74799336
What happens when a battery breaks and needs replacement? Who pays for that?

Also a battery might show 100% charge but only have half it's max charge because it aged.

What happens when I buy a battery that is rated at 1000W but I only get 500W out of it before it is dead?
>>
>>74791131
>>74799492

> need to go on a road trip
> go into store

"May I purchase a 300 mile-long charging cord?"
>>
>>74800461
you're fucking weird, but not wrong. just autistic about normal stuff
>>
>>74799930
I guess if you enjoy it. Its just never been my thing.

>ill be ok with you liking what I dont like
>>
>>74800461
this entire post is nothing but projecting
>>
>>74789963
It's nice to know we have a fallback if the oil wells run dry

But don't fret, they've actually figured out a way to synthesize oil from solar panels, biological processes....all sorts of ways. Oil stores energy far more compactly and efficiently than a battery, we might be using gasoline well into the future

Storing energy chemically rather than electrically simply gets you a far better energy/mass and energy/volume
>>
>>74800645
Ill accept that.

I wind up with a lot of time to think (ironically, much of it while Im driving) about culture and shit and tend to be pretty cynical about a few things...this is one of them.

Im worse about television. I go fill 'tism about the flat screened Jew.
>>
>>74799885
Many areas in major cities in the US are known to have brown-outs.

In my personal experience, Chicago, St. Louis & Oakland all have had "brownouts" during summer heatwaves, and there have even been warnings posted in Chicago in the papers where they pretty much warn the people not to use it unnecessarily in order to avoid brown-/black outs.

You must live in Mud Lick, MS or something if you have never experienced brown outs during max usage times, like in hot summer.
>>
>>74800461
>Not really. Think about it. Cars were designed solely to move people from A to B better than a horse could. The basics, 4 wheels and a motor, really havent changed fundamentally.
>So aside from building them more efficient/cheaper to operate, or able to carry more cargo or move passengers more safely, you cant really improve the way a car accomplishes its fundamental mission.

Just curious, do you apply this philosophy to other areas of your life too? Take eating for instance. The purpose of food is to provide nutrients. Do you purposely avoid eating steak and lobster because chicken is just as healthy?

What I'm trying to get at here is that just because there is a utilitarian purpose to eating (and driving), that doesn't mean that you can't derive enjoyment from the activity itself. And if you can, that extra enjoyment can be worth the extra money you're paying.
>>
>>74801239
so you live in niggertowns
>>
>>74794836
yup
engine power is used directly instead of going through a transmission where a significant portion of energy is lost
the Koenigsegg Regera uses that exact system, has a 5L V8 that, when combined with the three electric motors, chucks out 1500HP, 1100 of that from the engine alone
the difference is pretty fucking insane
>>
We'll probably develop a gas alternative before Electric cars become the norm.
>>
>>74801451
Does the other 400 come from magic pixie dust?
>>
>>74801629
no, it comes from the electric motors
are you retarded?
>>
>tfw the electric meme hasn't broken through in motorbikes yet
The MPG Jew doesn't hit us quite as hard
>>
>>74801629
Christ, shut up leaf.
>>
>>74801271
Ive just never felt its a symmetrical gain. Paying heaps more money for essentially the same experience when my preference is to be doing something else regardless.

Ill accept that some people just like it I guess. I did make pretty good $ on Ford stock when they recovered from bailout panic so I really shouldnt complain I guess.

Actually, speaking of Ford, I think I understand this better now. My sperging probably stems largely from brand tribe loyalty. I cant understand those people.
>>
>>74801714
Isn't the engine running an electric generator to run the electric motors?
>>
>>74801961
i drive a 16 year old truck i got for 2500 usd

not really heaps of money
>>
>>74795927
Retards are afraid of science and if someone suggest nuclear power they have an autistic fit screaming "MUH CHERNOBYL MUH CHERNOBYL"
>>
File: 67-1.jpg (86 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
67-1.jpg
86 KB, 640x480
>>74801961
>essentially the same experience
Someone really needs to show you what +500hp feels like. It's not of this earth.
>>
>>74789963
nah, horses are much better and i m already ahead of others on that
>>
>>74794080
But anon, the Chevy Spark doesnt have an electric engine.
>>
>>74803516
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Spark#Spark_EV
>>
>>74803516

http://www.chevrolet.com/spark-ev-electric-vehicle.html
>>
>>74790655
I don't think you know what turbo lag is
>>
>>74799640
>hinging your identity on tubes that shoot out bits of metal
>>
File: 1445744178053.png (387 KB, 598x369) Image search: [Google]
1445744178053.png
387 KB, 598x369
>>74795010
>Ludacris
>>
>>74804567
>hinging your identity on a mediocre coffee chain and pretending not to be an inferior version of america
>>
File: 1454468327142.png (27 KB, 186x208) Image search: [Google]
1454468327142.png
27 KB, 186x208
>>74798792
>fastest accelerating sedan ever made
>not superior
>>
>>74804740
>not using Ludacris mode
>>
File: aerocivic.jpg (5 KB, 268x188) Image search: [Google]
aerocivic.jpg
5 KB, 268x188
Whether or electric or combustion, how likely are we to see mass adoption of extreme aerodynamics on production cars?

This was a topic of research in the Third Reich as a way to maximize scarce fuel resources, but the only real modern car to really push it was that $100k Volkswagen VL1. Tesla is pretty aerodynamic, but it's largely from a belly pan and not having a grill.

Is it largely because consumers won't buy it?
>>
>>74790655
Turbocharging works by using exhaust gases to spin a turbine. There are no electrical components in it, it's all mechanical.

You can reduce and / or eliminate turbo lag on turbocharged cars by bypass valves that inject the fuel and air mix after the engine but before the turbo, that way ignition happens and the turbines spin up faster.

You sir are a liar and a shill.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.