[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is being materialistic bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: Capitalism2.jpg (134 KB, 679x1000) Image search: [Google]
Capitalism2.jpg
134 KB, 679x1000
/pol/ help me out please. I know I sound like a fucking pussy but this is my favorite board on 4chan. I feel very upset with my recent behavior. I go to MGIMO, a university in Russia known for teaching the elite. I don't come from a poor family, but I don't drive a over $100k car like the kids in my school (this is not a hyperbole). I did go to private school and I often go to expensive restaurants and clubs. I feel like fucking shit compared to kids that go to my uni them. I don't appreciate what my parents do to me and I think all my girlfriend wants is material possessions, which is not true. She does everything for me, and I treat her like shit. I constantly feel inferior to others because of money, I always wish that I came from old money. I am a hard on capitalist, so I think it's logical that I always think of money, but my behavior has led me to problems with my close ones. What do I do?
>>
An hero?
>>
Priest class was always the highest in all ancient societies.
>>
>>74774213
Develop an affinity for cocaine and go on a rampage.
>>
I expected serious responses. Please guys.
>>
>>74774213
>how to not be a shallow piece of fucking shit?
I dunno, maybe realize that none of that crap means a god damned thing and has zero value to anything that matters.
>>
I think materialism is shallow bullshit. It's short term happiness that needs to constantly be fed. True happiness and meaning comes from love and belonging.
>>
>>74775312
we are serious, kill yourself.
>>
>>74774213
They have old money in russia? I thought you guys killed them off
>>
>>>>74775669
I expected nothing less from /pol/
>>
>>74775873
I just realized how stupid that was from me. Yes, we only have nouveaux riche in Russia. I guess I meant to say that I wish I came from a richer family. If other people have millions, why didn't my parents earn millions too? My parents both have degrees, I know billionaires in Russia that not only have no degrees, but went to prison. It bothers me that these people are rich and my parents aren't. I am not envious at all, I appreciate hard work and I strive for success myself but if criminals could become right, why couldn't my parents?
>>
>>74775907
<3 u Ivan.

But seriously, materialism sucks. Try to do things that make you feel fulfilled; meditation, wilderness shit you know?
>>
>>74776234
This guy fucks
>>
File: Die_drei_Bogatyr-2.jpg (802 KB, 2114x1400) Image search: [Google]
Die_drei_Bogatyr-2.jpg
802 KB, 2114x1400
>>74776234
Wrong name. But good guess. I attached a pic for a better guess next time. My problem is, the lavish lifestyle is what fulfills me: yachting, partying, expensive clothing, cars, villas, traveling, private jets...etc. You get it.
>>
>>74776375
Oh yeah I do. I destroy my girlfriend.
>>
>>74776525
Don't assume too much. I might be wrong but your post seems like grade A rationalization.

Try stepping back and get a more relaxed perspective of your life.

Have you ever had an interest in art?
>>
>>74777028
I just don't see anything wrong with this lavish lifestyle I described. My reasoning is that if I always think of this, I will soon achieve it. I am not interested in art. I want to work on Wall St. I play basketball. I code. That's about it.
>>
>>74774213
Used to be poorfag here. I was attending an elite school since the age of 12, b/c of my grades, while the majority of the kids were there b/c of their parents money. They used to bully me for being a poorfag kid, but I made a few friendships that have lasted to this day. I remember asking my parents to pick me up from school in a side street, not in front of the school like the other parents, b/c I was ashamed of our ~15yr old Fiat Punto when other parents came with the latest BMWs and VW Passats.
Anyway, I graduated with good grades, and went to a top university to study computer science. Now, for a few years I've working at a comfy job for a high salary (by Hungarian standards), I have my own apartment, own car, the latest iPhone, whatever. But it didn't bring that "satisfaction" I was daydreaming about, when I was a kid. As a kid I thought that when I become rich, that'll be a "revenge" for all the bullying and injustice I had to endure b/c of being poor. But nothing really happened. It didn't bring the satisfaction, it didn't mean revenge, it didn't bring happiness. Also I have anxiety disorder, and it's not too far-fetched to think that it's because of all the stress and feeling shit in my teenage years.

But this is my story m8, maybe you'll find happiness if you make it to the top.
>>
File: original.jpg (627 KB, 700x866) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
627 KB, 700x866
>>74774213
Who would make this shitty "minimalist" version of an already well known propaganda piece?
>>
>>74774213
Outside of russian women have a reputation for being materiliastic and shallow. Rich people aren't happy, they just compare themselves with other rich people

Knowing yourself, love of nature, feeling in contol of your life of your life and sharing it with a few good people, these are what give a feeling of fulfiment

Materialism alone can never make you feel fulfilled
>>
>>74774213
kys
>>
>>74777272
Based on what you have posted so far I would guess that you appreciate the sense of achievement and economic in-dependability, that you are free to do as you wish without worrying about petty commoner stuff.

Is this close to what you're feeling?
>>
>>74774213
http://money.cnn.com/interactive/pf/40-years-american-home/?sr=twmoney05221640-years-american-home0803PMVideoVideo&linkId=24585165

Capitalism is fucking wonderful OP.
>>
>>74777348
Thank you for sharing your story. It's funny because I too asked my parents to not pick me up at the front entrance of school.
>>
>>74778022
Correct. What do I do?
>>
вoдкa
>>
>>74774213
A simple life is the best life.
Every man should spend a solitary time period in the bush every now and then.
>>
>>74779094
I hate frugal lifestyles. I am not a loser.
>>
>>74779162
Not frugal all year round dimwit. Every now and then go to the bush by yourself for two weeks or a month if you can spare it.

Helps put things in perspective.
>>
File: Grow-food-not-lawns.jpg (92 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
Grow-food-not-lawns.jpg
92 KB, 720x405
>>74779162
Perhaps the reason you are unfappy is that you are a faggot who can't appreciate the simple but satisfying way of actually accomplishing something and simultaniously lower your food expenses by doing shit yourself.

But apperantly you are to busy to bitch about it instead of fixing it.
>>
>>74774213
>I always wish that I came from old money.
there's your problem, you wished you were like the people you hang with. Instead you're the poor kid in the block.

you should be more humble, having money doesn't necessary make you better.
>>
>>74778931
Keep at it but don't be reckless. At times try and slow down and fully appreciate things (people, nature, culture, art, history,)

If you just charge forward, grabbing everything you can you'll might feel fulfilled as long as the ride last but sooner or later it will slow down. You'll have all these things that you sought but if you were only along for the ride they might loose their value.
Materialism is only bad if you acquire things merely for the sake of it. If you learn to see the beauty in the lifestyle you are less likely ending up feeling pointless.
>>
>>74779701
The worst thing is, I am not even poor. I take my girlfriend to the Ritz Carlton for cocktails, to other expensive clubs, restaurant and lounges. I don't have a lot of expensive clothes like the other kids, but I do have a pair of Gucci and LV sneakers, a lot of Polo, CK, etc. My parents sacrifice so much for me so I can fit with the rest of the kids. I even have a $3k Longines that my dad gave me (it was his most expensive watch). I just feel like an ungrateful fuck.
>>
>>74779764
Thank you very much for the advice, you have helped me.
>>
>>74781235
Np, bud
>>
>>74774213
if you can find fulfillment in items with limited effect, or duration, go for it.

Some people want to be significant, and affect the future.
Some want to have a "legacy"

do your thing.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.