[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the American public's view on law? Am i correct
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 1442981021193.jpg (605 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1442981021193.jpg
605 KB, 1280x720
What is the American public's view on law? Am i correct in thinking that American's do not generally like being bothered by the government and as a result do not look upon the law too positively? Other than on obvious shit like murder.
>>
Some states seem to hate freedom more then others

Where some states seem to have much lower taxes, trade regulation and restrictions etc other states seem to be worse then Canada for these things
>>
Don't be fooled, America is the most litigious country in the world.

It has crippled us in many ways.
>>
>>74739225
>>74739114
Shit really? I always assumed that American's didn't like to be bound by the government excessively due to shit like the 2nd amendment.
>>
>>74739717
It depends....if the law is on your side, rule of law is the best thing ever.

If the law is against your side, "fuck the government".

Americans typically will break the law when it comes to speed limit laws, some environmental and labor health laws, and drug laws, especially marijuana. Also depending on how strict state gun laws are. Less commonly, anything that isnt enforced and costs money for you to follow, like building codes, waste disposal, land management and landlording laws, and so on. Employers may violate labor laws, tax laws, and banking laws if they can get away with it.

Usually dont break federal gun laws because the ATF will kill you and your entire family and burn your compound down. And shoot your dog.

I'm curious about Japan, but in the US at least, theres a LOT of just stupid laws on the books that aren't enforced (or the government doesn't have manpower to enforce), are contrary to other laws, are so strict as to be very very expensive to follow, or people are just not aware of them.
>>
File: 1452303289745.png (289 KB, 673x534) Image search: [Google]
1452303289745.png
289 KB, 673x534
>>74738927
It really depends on the state. Commiefornia loves laws and regulations, but a states like New Hampshire are full of freedom lovers.
>>
>>74740983
Edit to add:
Americans like to pretend they are free, but there is a very common and pervasive attitude that "there should be a law" about this and that until theres a fucking law about goddamn pissing everything which no one knows or cares about until the government decides to throw the book at you and ruin your day with 20 tack-on charges.

Its common for a prosecutor to have a main charge they want to book you for (and maybe dont have the evidence or time for a jury trial), then come up with 10 or so other charges which are easier to prove and make a deal with you to drop those in exchange for a guilty plea on the original one.

They REALLY like to say they believe in "freedom and liberty", but when they see someone else exercising their freedom, they get mad and demand the government stop them because "you shouldnt be allowed to do that"

even if its just the fucking neighbor's kids playing in the yard, you demand the city pass a noise ordnance and then you call the cops and get their kids taken away, which happens with alarming frequency
>>
>>74738927
American law is a collective compact to not fuck with each other as much as possible and fucking with anyone who tries to mess with us as much as possible, barring that the core tenets of our laws describe explicitly what and how much the govt may fuck with and very explicitly where that line meets a hard wall of treason and legal rebellion
>>
>>74741744
Predictably, that is not how it works out, but it is the short version of our rule of law.
>>
>>74740983
Damn dude, that's pretty fucked. I can't say much about Japan's law since I've only been here for too long but I think think a lot of Japan's problems regarding law have to do with Japanese societal problems like not wanting to cause trouble or not wanting to be different from everyone else.
>>
>>74743476
*haven't been here for too long
>>
>>74743476
Then where are you from? (And where in japan are you? i was there not too long ago, i really liked how even in big cities, no one acts like fucking niggers and no one thinks to commit petty crime)
>>
>>74743799
Malaysia, I'm in Tokyo. Yeah Its pretty good how no one here is a massive ape but there's alot of passive aggressiveness here and people here are VERY insular.
>>
>>74744087
Thats interesting you think people are insular...I found japanese to be friendlier than americans a bit.

i kind of figure its because in the US, if a random person tries talking to you, they either
want money for a drug/drinking habit
want to tell you about their god
are actually crazy
want you to sign their petition or sign onto their political cause
or

I mean, me and my buddy went drinking in a few bars, met some japanese guys, had a good time. We met one girl who offered to tour us around a part of tokyo she knew, and a few days later actually took us.

White Americans are pretty passive aggressive too, especially the younger generation who never really learned to deal with problems. Its pretty frustrating because a lot of the times, they get pissy over shit that doesnt really matter. For example, the same fucking person has left a snide note on my car every few days for weeks for parking in the end spot at the bus station parking lot. I honestly don't see how it affects her in any way at all, but its still a big enough of a deal to her that she does this all the fucking time and I believe let the air out of my tires once.

Niggers on the other hand will try to fight you just for looking at them.

What neighborhood of tokyo are you in? I only got to be in town for almost 2 weeks, so I didnt get to see as much as I would have liked, but Americans get SHIT vacation, so that's what I get for the year. Maybe when I leave my job in a few years I'll come camp out for a month or two.
>>
This is actually the best thread I've seen in weeks. No shills anywhere.
>>
Gud thread :D
>>
>>74745622
I'd assume people who are out drinking/actively socializing are likely more open and have spoken to many types of people. I'm actually taking a class about America that I assumed was about politics and history. Its actually entirely about how foreigners are different. Japanese culture holds hospitality very highly but they still tend to build walls when talking to people, I have a friend who was so amazed that he saw an American complimenting a waitress on doing a good job and he kept harping on about it and kept saying how Japanese would never compliment a complete stranger on their job and how Americans must like complimenting people. I got jarred as FUCK about this and the fact that he wanted to do a presentation on words that Americans use.
>>
>>74738927
Varies by state - a lot.

Think of the US as 50 semi-independent countries. Culture and opinions are less cohesive than you may think.
>>
>>74747364
Sure, its not a bad assumption that people who are out drinking would be more open, but still, its very rare to talk to a stranger at a bar in the US, at least in my town. I mean, I eventually ended up talking to the regulars at mine, but even when I do see them, its still uncommon to talk past 30 sec. People will show up and just hang out in their groups, and maybe some group of guys will get drunk enough to go try hitting on some girls and they'll get rejected and thats it. Unless its sports day, in which case everyone is bros because of that. The few times someone came over to talk outside of regulars for years at my regular place, they wanted to tell me and my friend about their god, ask for a some money (for a cab), and to pick a fight because one guy thought my friend was eyeing him weird, and ONE TIME because someone recognized me from somewhere and we caught up on life.

But a girl who meets up by herself with 2 random guys a few days later and spends the day with them? Completely unheard of.

Then again, my town is known for being kind of cold like this. They call it the "Seattle freeze" and everyone who moves here complains about it on reddit, but from my experience, its the same as LA. My experience in small town america is different, people are definitely friendlier, but unfortunately my work (and girlfriend) requires me to live in major cities.

I actually started going on 4chan so much years ago because it was so much more social than real life.

Its pretty uncommon to see someone complement a stranger though, in the US. I have one friend who makes an active effort to complement strangers, and I've occasionally gotten one myself, but its like once a year type thing. And for all my 3 years working, I've gotten literally one complement about my job outside of "no one has complaints about you."

America is a pretty big place though, so my experience might be different than someone who lives in the country or a different part of the US though.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.