[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Languages and Culture?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: LanguageFamiliesWorldMap.png (39 KB, 1324x650) Image search: [Google]
LanguageFamiliesWorldMap.png
39 KB, 1324x650
What does /pol/ think of the idea that language is more determinate in national or racial traits than genetics or 'other' culture?

From the little german I've studied, the syntax seems very conducive to mechanical expression. French similarly feels like a language that is easier to express abstractions in. English would then be the combination that gave us both Shakespeare and the industrial revolution. East Asians penchant for studying is an extension of the intensely complicated nature of their basic writing system.

Am I wrong? Do language traits influence thought patterns and create cultural traits?
>>
Yes it does
>>
English Language did nothing wrong.
>>
>>74650679
I was really hoping that posting this at 10am est was a way to get multi-lingual euros ideas on the subject....
>>
>>74650679
>Am I wrong? Do language traits influence thought patterns and create cultural traits?
Yes and no, it's a 2-way street.
>>
It's called the "Sapor-whorf hypothesis" look it up
>>
File: 1463774927045.jpg (7 KB, 255x135) Image search: [Google]
1463774927045.jpg
7 KB, 255x135
>>74653038

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_relativity
>>
Most linguists on reddit say that a language is capable to describing the world as any other language. For example, a computer in the English language is the same as any language that calls it a "electric box" because they understand that an "electric box" describes, even if it's not as sophisticated as other languages.
>>
Would explain why both Spain and Portugal spawned only abominations from their colonies.
>>
>>74650679
I didn't read any of that but my god what a shitty graph. How the fuck are you supposed to differentiate all those shades of red?
>>
>>74650679
I think languages have different mechanics because of the genetic differences of the people who invented them.

A more technical race would create a language to better communicate mechanical concepts, where a more social race would create a language to communicate social concepts, where a more hunter gatherer race wouldn't need much more than clicks and whistles to communicate while hunting game.

I think this is why groups like Hispanics, Blacks, Arabs, etc all struggle with English in general. They use the existing terms awkwardly and tend to create a lot of slang or import words from their native tongue. This is the native English speakers of these races I'm talking about as well, not the immigrants right off the boat.
>>
>>74659364

BUMP
>>
>>74659364
It has nothing to do with genetics. Both genetics and language developed based on the environment.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.