[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
America was not founded as a Christian nation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 15
File: Separation of Church and State.png (155 KB, 392x376) Image search: [Google]
Separation of Church and State.png
155 KB, 392x376
Name one way in which America is a Christian nation

Pro-tip: you can't
>>
One nation under God
>>
>>74012114
That was added in the 50s you dunce. They don't even make kids do the pledge anyway anymore
>>
>>74011774
YOU HAVE RETARDS THAT ACTUALLY BELIVE EARTH IS FLAT
>>
>>74012114
that was added a shit ton of years later
>>
>>74011774
All of the founders were Christian men and they founded it on Christian values you fucking Fedora tipper
>>
>>74011774
>The Christian religion is the best religion that has ever been given to man -Thomas Jefferson

>God who gave us life gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, that His justice cannot sleep forever. -Thomas Jefferson

"Almighty God, Who has given us this good land for our heritage; We humbly beseech Thee that we may always prove ourselves a people mindful of Thy favor and glad to do Thy will. Bless our land with honorable ministry, sound learning, and pure manners. Save us from violence, discord, and confusion, from pride and arrogance, and from every evil way. Defend our liberties, and fashion into one united people, the multitude brought hither out of many kindreds and tongues. Endow with Thy spirit of wisdom those whom in Thy name we entrust the authority of government, that there may be justice and peace at home, and that through obedience to Thy law, we may show forth Thy praise among the nations of the earth. In time of prosperity fill our hearts with thankfulness, and in the day of trouble, suffer not our trust in Thee to fail; all of which we ask through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen." -Thomas Jefferson 1801
>>
>>74011774

Approximately 75% of the population identifies as Christian, and Protestantism was a pervasive influence on American society and culture up until recently, and is still fairly important.

government =/= nation, Turkey was officially a secular country for most of the 20th century, was it therefore not a Muslim nation?

>>74012564

Jefferson liked Jesus as a moral teacher but was otherwise a Deist and rejected the Trinity. Many of the Founding Fathers were the same.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Bible
>>
File: 1461980106200.png (461 KB, 870x722) Image search: [Google]
1461980106200.png
461 KB, 870x722
>>74011774
Because the protestant values America lived in Manifest Destiny and its American Dream are inherently Christian ones, you fucking faggot.

We're all dumber for you posted this question, good job.

>pic related
It's hopefully you, otherwise you would be even less intelligent
>>
>>74011774
Its a hermetic nation, hermeticism understands that the Christian story is a parody on the sun in a series of allegories, stories, analogies, and parables to portray the path of the soul from instincts to virtue, from east to west, immaturity to maturity, and hell to heaven. The founder's knew way, way, way more than people think they did about human nature and creation.
>>
The United States government was founded upon Enlightenment ideals by a group of men composed of many Christians and many deists. The culture was heavily influenced by Christianity, but that was not the sole influence. The political state however was founded with the idea that there would be no state church, and all men would be free to worship, or not, in their own way. That is why a group of deists and Christians were able to unite for this kind of purpose to begin with.

When people say "America was founded on Christian values", they are right if they mean that Christian values heavily influenced the formation of the United States, they are wrong if they think that the Founders intended for a second that a particular church or religion should hold power in the government to legislate its will against the majority of the people.

It is also worth noting that the Founders were not a hive mind. On one hand you have people like George Washington, who was deeply religious, and on the other hand you have Benjamen Franklin, Thomas Paine, and Jefferson who were much less so, being either deist or having deistic tendencies.

You people trying to polarize this issue into either 'America was founded as a theocracy" or "America was founded as a secular state" are BOTH full of shit. It was a state founding to permit a plurality of religions, that has gradually transitioned into a semi-secular state.
>>
>>74012420

Where is your evidence, you trailer park inhabitant?
>>
>>74011774
Yeah and common law is fucking garbage
>>
"In God we trust" atheism didn't exist and all the people were Christian, but one quote makes all that not count. …...
>>
>>74013212
Reddit leave!
>>
>>74013281
See this
>>74013212
>>
>>74013391
>He believes atheism didn't exist

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH HOLY FUCKING SHIT YOURE DUMB
>>
The founding of America was mandated by heaven

Check em
>>
>>74013212
>they are right if they mean that Christian values heavily influenced the formation of the United States
Citation needed and America is not a semi secular state it's a FULLY secular one
>>
>>74012420
Many of them were deists.
>>
>>74013640
Oh please "citation needed", the majority of the country was Christian was the first 200 years of its existence, and even now the majority pretends to be so.

I'm an atheist myself, but lets not revise history to suit an agenda.
>>
File: john-adams-large.jpg (115 KB, 1024x467) Image search: [Google]
john-adams-large.jpg
115 KB, 1024x467
>>
>>74013541
Holy fucking shit, prove me wrong. there was no atheism, maybe a few people didn't believe in God , but that weren't atheist as that language didn't even exist. More likely they were Deists.

Way to pick and choose to fit your agenda asshole.

With out a doubt the majority it not effectively all soldiers who fought in the revolution were Christians, but your out of context quote means none of that matters I guess.

By the way, was Jefferson talking about ENglish common law or american? Did he say that before or after the revolution?
>>
>>74012564
Fake quotes nigga. Second one is paraphrasing. Good try though

>>74013938
I'm aware they were Christians, but they haven't had any lasting effect on the laws.
>>
>>74014126
Oh but they have, in a million subtle ways, and had an even bigger influence upon the culture. Even now the shadow of that old religion is cast over this country.
>>
>>74012420
They founded it on Enlightenment values, you illiterate imbecile.
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 500x606) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 500x606
>>74014026
Here's one baby cake. Don't be too angry you're an idiot it's really ok faggot
>>
>>74011774
>country is vastly majority Christian for the entirety of its existence
I don't care what the filthy freemason founders of this country have to say about Christianity. The people have and always will be Christians, that is what makes this a Christian nation, not a lousy piece of paper or the opinions of its writers.
>>
>>74014350
>influence upon the culture
Yeah I suppose so

>Influenced laws
Citation needed
>>
>>74013541
It might as well have not existed. Atheists were an extremely tiny minority and had zero influence on culture or policy. You can't understand hyperbole you fucking autist.
>>
>>74014582
Well all the laws regulating sexuality were Christian until very recently.

Not to mention the entire framework of natural rights, natural law, and tabula rasa was formed by a blending of Christian and Enlightenment ideals.
>>
>>74012914
A few including Jefferson were deist but the majority were not and were believers in Christ.

>>74014126
Proofs? Still, the speech was his own words.
>>
>>74011774

>what is the difference between legal and cultural
>>
>>74013967
Damn, John Adams, that's like what I say all the time, but I swap it out with "white men".

As america browns, the bill of rights will whither away. It's already happening.
>>
>>74012114
that campaign worked so fucking well it's insane
>>
File: christianity.jpg (467 KB, 1097x1000) Image search: [Google]
christianity.jpg
467 KB, 1097x1000
>>74011774

He's correct. Christianity is for cucks.
>>
>>74014553
Aww, you poor fella , you think you're witty. The snark effect from hanging out within your echo chamber of idiot Leftists. The daily show is your fans isn't faggot.
>>
>>74012114
Fake and gay!
>>
>>74014126
>I'm aware they were Christians, but they haven't had any lasting effect on the laws.
You're fucking with us right? Do you think they were robots?
>>
>>74013212
Thomas Paine was a huge Christian man.
>>
>>74014752
He said they didn't exist

I said they did

Jesus you are the autist bud
>>
>>74014779
>Christianity is Gr8 m8 -Thomas Jeffernigger
https://www.monticello.org/site/research-and-collections/no-nation-has-ever-yet-existed-or-been-governed-without
>>
>>74015143
they didn't Cuck, those people who didn't believe or doubted in God weren't part of your KEK Cult.
>>
>>74015071
CITATION NEEDED YOU NIG-NOG
>>
>>74015116
Top kek
>>
>>74015025
>faggot pope does something
>See, you cucks, this is what Christianity is!

Also, to address the graphic, I don't know a lot of hippies who talked shit on the kikes and troubled them to the point that they seized the longhair, brought him up on false charges, then nailed him to a piece of wood. Doesn't sound very mellow desu.
>>
>>74014565
Alexis de Tocqueville remarked at how religious and Christian the Americans were of the 19th century.
>The Americans combine the notions of religion and liberty so intimately in their minds, that it is impossible to make them conceive of one without the other.

>>74015207
Yeah, okay.
>>
File: image.jpg (273 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
273 KB, 1920x1080
>>74015046
Awwwwe the baby is wrong so he has to just insult me. It's ok like I said you're a faggot who honestly thought atheists didn't exist.

Probably aren't white either
>>
>>74015350
>go do homework!
lel no
>>
>>74015271
Who said I'm an atheist

Haha it's ok you little child it's ok
>>
>>74015592
>Tfw cant even hit copy/paste
>>
>>74015563
who dat is?
>>
>>74015637
>>74015563
You truly are an idiot, go troll somewhere asshole.
>>
File: church of cunt.jpg (1 MB, 1400x1901) Image search: [Google]
church of cunt.jpg
1 MB, 1400x1901
>>74015510
>this is what Christianity is!

And it is.
>>
>>74011774
Why did he say that? The Common Law was based on Christian morality.
>>
>>74011774
No religion should be part of common law anywhere

although we'll probably get sharia sooner rather than later.
Such is life in European Caliphate.
>>
Thomas Jefferson owned a Quran
>>
I like how nobody has been able to render my OP false.
>>
There were two original settlements of pilgrims that took off in this country, Massachusetts and Virgina.

Virgina was about profits, and Massachusetts was about religion, namely Christians.

Give them a common enemy like the British; and the two fundamental key elements of the country, Christianity and money come together to fight it off.
>>
File: image.png (329 KB, 840x435) Image search: [Google]
image.png
329 KB, 840x435
>>74015817
I proved you wrong and you tell me to go away?

Did I just crush your world view? Did I show you there were in fact atheists long ago?

Yes. Yes I did you colossal pussy
>>
>>74016047
It was probably some random letter he wrote to pander to some none Christian country to be honest. The USA pandered to Turkey for awhile as Britain had blocked them from getting anything from India like TEA. There instead sought Coffee from Turkey.
>>
>>74015926
You know there's something like 2 billion who profess belief? You will be able to find anything you want out of that sample size.

Also, interesting point brought up by the image given this thread: Never, ever, ever have a state church.

This is why.
>>
>>74012914
Trinity is a falsehood created by the Catholic church in the 4th century and is designed to kill Christendom
>>
redpill ahead - - >

American Indians wrote the constitution cuz inferior cucks can't do anything for themselves

go to the library of congress
see: H. Con. Resolution 331

(1) the Congress, on the occasion of the two hundredth
anniversary of the signing of the United States Constitution,
acknowledges the contribution made by the Iroquois Confed-
eracy and other Indian Nations to the formation and develop-
ment of the United States;
(2) the Congress also hereby reaffirms the constitutionally
recognized government-to-government relationship with Indian
tribes which has been the cornerstone of this Nation

Whereas the original framers of the Constitution, including, most
notably, George Washington and Benjamin Franklin, are known
to have greatly admired the concepts of the Six Nations of the
Iroquois Confederacy;
>>
>>74016286
You're a moron,crying for attention you big baby. Or maybe you 're an attention whore. Either way, go fuck yourself faggot.
>>
>>74011774
it's not, nor should it be. America is about doing whatever the hell you want. unfortunately it's strayed from that path heavily. vote for liberty, vote libertarian.

>>74012114
the forefathers were deist. they used "god" as serving any religion.
>>
>>74016361
http://www.let.rug.nl/usa/presidents/thomas-jefferson/letters-of-thomas-jefferson/jefl227.php

Was to another US politician
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 344x344) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 344x344
>>74016574
You said there were no atheists back then

And I proved you wrong

Don't be upset you were wrong and had your pitiful world view challenged. If you can't handle it you should go back to Red dit.

And like I said before, I'm not an atheist. But guess what I'm also not an idiot that denies history.
>>
>>74016243

Do you seriously think this place is for intelligent discourse based on reason, facts, evidence, and observation?

Are you fucking crazy?
>>
Christianity is the lesser evil in the fight against the Muslim hordes. It has always been this way.
>>
File: ts.png (2 KB, 78x77) Image search: [Google]
ts.png
2 KB, 78x77
>>74011774
Jefferson was an Illuminatus.
So were Franklin and Paine.
They helped to separate the Protestant colonies from Protestant England.
This benefited the Jesuits and the Roman Catholics and their vassal kings of Europe.
>>
>>74011774

The people being predominantly Christian. I think as a nation USA is more of a Christian nation than Sweden even though (I think) Sweden still has a national church and all that shit.
>>
>>74016361
>>74016781

I just read (some of) the letter, here is his argument:

"For we know that the common law is that system of law which was introduced by the Saxons on their settlement in England [...] This settlement took place about the middle of the fifth century. But Christianity was not introduced till the seventh century; the conversion of the first christian king of the Heptarchy having taken place about the year 598, and that of the last about 686. Here, then, was a space of two hundred years, during which the common law was in existence, and Christianity no part of it. [...] If, therefore, from the settlement of the Saxons to the introduction of Christianity among them, that system of religion could not be a part of the common law, because they were not yet Christians, and if, having their laws from that period to the close of the common law, we are all able to find among them no such act of adoption, we may safely affirm (though contradicted by all the judges and writers on earth) that Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law."

It seems what he was writing was pretty controversial at the time, he makes reference at the start of the letter to many court decisions that have ruled that "Christianity is part of the laws of England" and thus the common law, but he states that they give no evidence as to why.

It's a compelling argument desu.
>>
File: church of sweden.jpg (1 MB, 1200x2051) Image search: [Google]
church of sweden.jpg
1 MB, 1200x2051
>>74017178
>Sweden still has a national church
>>
>>74016781
I'm not following that link ,but Ok. I don't doubt it. I was just making a suggestion as I'm not totally familiar with Thomas jefferson whole body of work. Which one and the date of the letter? I will look it up.
>>
Catholic, Jesuits and Christian doctrine spread among the local natives since 1493. The Kingdom of Spain had maintained a number of missions throughout portions of what today are the Southwestern United States in order to facilitate colonization of these lands.
>>
>>74013423

Not bad of an explanation, but I know that one of the founding fathers said "America was not founded on the Christian doctrine", and no amount of people saying "FEDORA" or posting pics of fedoras will change that.

It's almost always redneck trailer park inhabitants that use that meme anyway. The rest are feminists.
>>
>>74013938
And the US government has been secular ever since the Constitution was ratified.

>sec·u·lar
>denoting attitudes, activities, or other things that have no religious or spiritual basis.

If you read the entire Constitution, you will only find one (non) reference to God, and it is in the form of "In this year of our Lord..." The government is fully secular.
>>
>>74011774

We fought the Muslim hordes of the Barbary coast for the sake of European Christians. Check and mate you can present your anus for my pleasure when you want faggit.
>>
>>74017289
Yeah,but like usual people are using it out of context. It's like arguing that the Catholic church isn't Christian because the old testament is Jewish in origin and no one calls each other Christians in the New testament.
>>
>>74017313
jfc, is this real?
>>
>>74017313
>Christians shouldn't aggressively support separation of church and state
Certain evangelicals need to be force fed these articles.
>>
>>74012299
>>74012405
>endowed by our Creator
durrrr
>>
>>74011774
European legal thinking came directly out of the Christian radical critique of Temple Jewish law and without it we would be less intelligent Chinese, with no concept of law or governmental limitation, and at the mercy of gangsters.
The other founders all talk about this extensively.
>>
>>74017677
I read it in context, he's arguing that common law isn't Christian - that's the whole point of the letter, I can't find any fault with his argument.

There are probably other ways the US can be said to be a Christian nation, but not through the common law.
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 480x360
>>74017851
>he believes it came from Christians

>and not actually from the Romans and Greeks
>>
>>74017724

I wouldn't doubt it. In Finland it's the church that's calling for more refugees etc.
>>
File: archbishop.jpg (1 MB, 1400x1773) Image search: [Google]
archbishop.jpg
1 MB, 1400x1773
>>74018431
>>
File: deus.png (342 KB, 482x552) Image search: [Google]
deus.png
342 KB, 482x552
>>74017851
>European legal thinking came directly out of the Christian radical critique of Temple Jewish law

What a bullshit. It came from the anti Christian Romans and Greeks. Christianity is all about perverting good conservative Roman traditions.
>>
>>74018537

I'll never understand /pol/s like for this cuck religion
>>
>>74018537
Thank you for posting these and reminding me why Catholicism and Protestantism are so far lost.
>>
>>74011774
Benjamin Franklin says otherwise.
Weber even wrote a long paper of research on how mercantile capitalism were build on the system of protestantism.

I don't see what good one 2 lined undourced picture can stand as anything of an arguement - I mean, the onus is pretty much on your side.
>>
File: newpol.jpg (389 KB, 1078x1000) Image search: [Google]
newpol.jpg
389 KB, 1078x1000
>>74018724

There are only very few Christians at /pol/ and there are less and less of them every day.
>>
>>74018167
It's a shit example. How much do you think common law has changed since the time of the Saxons?
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.