[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why not renewables?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8
So what's wrong with renewables?

The technology is almost there. I don't know why /pol/tards get to butthurt over the idea of making the switch.
>>
Fuck you Jew
>>
File: 1439956370611.gif (1 MB, 491x270) Image search: [Google]
1439956370611.gif
1 MB, 491x270
>>73999960

The technology is not almost there. No way to store power well; if the sun is blocked and the wind is not blowing, I hope you like living like you're Amish for the day.
>>
somewhere in the middle of the california desert google dropped down a fuckton of panels now solar produces more than wind and hydro

would u know foxnews is more interested in reporting how the end of the world is coming along
>>
>>74000340
Geothermal and hydro.
>>
>>73999960
>So what's wrong with renewables?
They are nice weather technologies.
Imagine you want to turn the lights on at night, but there's no sun to power the solar panels on the roof. Imagine you want to cook, but the wind isn't blowing today to spin your windmill.

FACT: To provide a base powerline, now that Germany turns to alternative power more coal power stations have to be built.
>>
>>73999960
Power storage is a problem, not to mention maintenence is expensive.

Couple that with requiring expensive materials and very minimal power generation compared to the price.

It was slightly more viable when we had $100 a barrel oil, but then we just started fraccing.

If you're thinking long term, nuclear is much more viable. I'd say renewables are relegated to specific local circumstances, such as geothermal and hydroelectric.

tl;dr it's too expensive for the energy you get out of it.
>>
>>74000821
>muh nuclear
So what about the waste?
>>
>>74001081
Using breeder reactors you can use MOST waste as fuel. We have working breeder reactors already.

If you want to go a little further, thorium could be a better alternative once the engineering problems are solved. It produces less waste than making solar panels.

Unfortunately, cheap oil makes all of these options less profitable.
>>
It's expensive to store power ,and a power grid requires different needs at different times and seasons. You can't get a 100% renewable power system nation wide that's reliable all year round without dumping a massive amount of money in this problem
>>74001081
That's a real problem but i'm sure doing what Finland does ,storing them in shelters for 10k years would be cheaper
>>
>>73999960
The most efficient solar cells being made in labs right now are bordering on 30%. That isn't near good enough. We have no long term storage solution for power either. Batteries we have today aren't up to the task.
Distributing solar power to a large populace is an absurd undertaking, and it still can't be relied on 100%. Not everyone lives in an area where 6 hours of direct sunlight will illuminate panels, so individual power remains with tons of caveats as well.

Wind power is such a joke it shouldn't be mentioned any more.

Hydro requires a damn.

Geothermal is less viable for the masses than solar.

There is no magic solution to energy production. Consistently every single "green" company has tried to bill their product as being just that, and they've always fallen laughably short.
>>
>>73999960
Nothing wrong with it. Actually, Germany should use 500,000 of its "refugees" it got in the last 12 months to basically make Germany energy independent with solar cells, biofuels, geothermal, housing insolation, big dumb battery storage etc.
>>
>>74002834
Do you have any sources on this stuff? Just for reference :3
>>
File: 1456521675513.jpg (74 KB, 421x480) Image search: [Google]
1456521675513.jpg
74 KB, 421x480
>>74003104
>Germany wants to use immigrants as fuel
You're not thinking of anything dangerous ,are you ?
>>
File: mountain-of-cannibalgod.jpg (272 KB, 1024x670) Image search: [Google]
mountain-of-cannibalgod.jpg
272 KB, 1024x670
>>74003508
Not sure what you talking about.
>>
>>74003436
There is far too much information available for me to spoon feed you everything.
http://spectrum.ieee.org/energywise/green-tech/solar/stable-perovskite-cell-boosts-solar-power
http://spectrum.ieee.org/energywise/green-tech/solar/will-nanophotonics-save-pv
http://spectrum.ieee.org/green-tech/solar/a-tower-of-molten-salt-will-deliver-solar-power-after-sunset

These touch on the basic problem of solar cells, and energy storage. That is where the bleeding edge of the industry is at. Still struggling with no clear solutions to anything.
>>
>>73999960
I have no problem with renewable energy. But at the moment other than hydro and in a few places geothermal it's just not economical. Wind and solar are complete wastes of money currently. Hopefully they will become viable in the future but they just aren't now.
>>
>>74003923
>http://spectrum.ieee.org/green-tech/solar/a-tower-of-molten-salt-will-deliver-solar-power-after-sunset
I don't get it this all seems pretty encouraging.
>>
File: Wind Turbine Small View.jpg (78 KB, 624x200) Image search: [Google]
Wind Turbine Small View.jpg
78 KB, 624x200
It's happening all over the place. The Columbia river gorge looks like this for about 100 miles straight. Along with the around 30 dams on the Columbia/snake

It's mostly wheatfields as far as the eye can see and they filled every available dead space with a wind turbine.
>>
>>73999960
We just need to figure out nuclear fusion
>>
>>73999960
rare earth metals
>>
File: 1459915537038.jpg (737 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
1459915537038.jpg
737 KB, 1200x1600
>>74003853
Good. Nobody wants you to go on another shoah ,right ?
So don't do anything dangerous with those. It would be a shame if they were to disappear in some oven or something
>>
I used to work on wind turbines, ama
>>
>>74004215
They want to convert solar power into thermal energy to heat up a giant vat of material. That thermal energy would be held in the material, acting as a type of battery, and it would then be able to be converted back into electricity to deliver to customers regardless of time of day, or sunlight conditions.
They're looking at this because no standard battery chemistry is up to the task of storing massive amounts of power. Nothing lithium based can do it, nothing lead-acid based can either. We do not have a real viable solution, and we likely won't for decades still.
>>
>>74003104
Do refugees burn well enough to make that work? Seems like a waste. We already know a Jewish corpse burns 10,000 times hotter than a nigger and generate massive amounts of energy when set on fire.
>>
File: solarcity.png (22 KB, 650x392) Image search: [Google]
solarcity.png
22 KB, 650x392
>solar energy

Well that sure worked out well for that genius Elon Musk.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlVDGmjz7eM
>>
>>74000717
>not just having double the panels and redirecting half of them into a rechargeable battery
That's what I do
>>
>>73999960
It's not cost-effective enough to replace fossil fuels. Nuclear could generate the same power and more at a fraction of the cost.
>>
>>74001081
Only fission is going to have long lived waste
>>
In my city the parking meters have solar panels on top. Small step.
>>
>>73999960
>I don't know why /pol/tards get to butthurt over the idea of making the switch.

Dumbshits have convinced themselves that burning fossil fuels is the height of American patriotism.
>>
>>74005176
but they are starting to put solar panels on stuff, build windmills so guess that is cool. Some pretty serious up front costs.
>>
>>74005482
says the hippy whose computer runs on fossil fuels
>>
File: 1456746983022.jpg (126 KB, 800x598) Image search: [Google]
1456746983022.jpg
126 KB, 800x598
For people who usually oppose usury, corruption nepotism and other sorts of kikery you are pretty quick to jump to the defense of the fossil jew.
>>
>>74005178
Because you are uneducated. Batteries are very expensive, and all the batteries in the world can store less than a second of the global electricity consumption.
>>
>>74005803
But fossil fuels are the best way currently available to store energy. Even with the best batteries and electric motors available energy storage is fucking shit compared to a regular motor.
Everybody would like not having fucking exhaust gas in your face when going to the city but the alternatives are unreliable
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.