[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>In Japan, tipping is not a part of the culture. It is not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 7
File: tipping.jpg (49 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
tipping.jpg
49 KB, 640x360
>In Japan, tipping is not a part of the culture. It is not expected and can cause confusion. Like many other countries in East Asia, Japanese people see tipping as insulting
based nips

what's the rules on tipping in your country? and does working a job that accepts tips give you a lower wage? (like the US)
>>
>>73767664
I used to work in restaurants
My base pay was never greater than minimum wage. But with tips:

I would make a few hundred extra every pay check busing tables.
Then I made a few hundred a week serving.
Then I made a few hundred a night bar tending.

Literally the only people who complain about tips in food service are shit-tier performers or people who take a job at a shit-tier establishment.
>>
>>73767797
did you declare all your tips as earnings?
>>
>>73767947
No, this was in the 90s, before there we had the regulations we have today. I only declared tips once I was bar tending, and even then it was like 10-20% of my actual tips.
>>
>>73767664
No tipping here.

As icing on the cake the price on things displayed in shops includes tax, so what you see is what you pay.
>>
No tipping here.

You get paid a decent wage by your employer.

>>73768164
>the price on things displayed in shops includes tax

They do that here too. Do they not in other countries? That's fucking stupid.
>>
>>73768509
In Canada you'd need to add GST and PST to the price you see on a shelf or in a menu. I can't remember what it's like in the US but I am sure they can say.
>>
>>73768635
That's fucking stupid. So you buy $5 worth of goods, according to the tags, but when you get to the counter its going to be different?

Is it laziness or do greedy fucks think they can skim a bit more by overcharging them just a little bit on the tax they can't see?
>>
>>73767664
Koreans used to have the same view on tipping, it was rude and insulting- but being the little greedy pseudo-kikes that they are, changed the rule so that its no longer rude anymore and is now expected (at least from westerners).
>>
>>73768509
In shit tier US states that have a sales tax you need to add it on when you pay.
>>
>>73768732
When I was in Canada the combined taxes were around 13% in B.C..

So a $10 purchase would be $11.30.

B.C. did not have PST on food. GST came along and changed that. So a meal would have both the GST and an expected tip attached.
>>
>>73768791
Why not just print the actual amount on all the price tags and say "includes tax"?

Wouldn't that be more convenient for consumers or are they all retards who wouldn't realise that it included tax despite being clearly stated?
>>
>>73767664
Not required anywhere, but they are always grateful.

I hated the fact how obnoxious taxi drivers, tour guides, pizza delivery boys etc are in west. Very very very entitled.
>>
>>73768791
This.

Even still to this day, at the age of 26, I never really truly know how much Im going to pay for my goods until Im rung up at the counter.

Yes its fucking stupid, I find Europeans calling Americans stupid for every single thing we do to be infuriating and annoying, but this is the one point that I legitmately think every American can agree with- put the tax on the price tag.
>>
>>73768886
>or are they all retards

9.99 sells better than 10. Even in countries that don't have a 0.01 coin and round prices up.
>>
You tip only if you want. 10% is the usual amount. We rarely tip gas station workers.
I don't tip middle asian niggers of whom there are plenty in public food industry, but I always tip Russians.
>>
>>73768886
There was a shop in South Auckland that I saw not adding the tax to their prices. It makes their prices look cheaper.

I doubt very much that your average dumbfuck would not buy something after making a trip even though they were deceived by an undercutter who was faking it.
>>
>>73768732
Yeah they don't show sales tax on the marked price. Luckily I live in a state without sales tax so I don't deal with that shit.
>>
>>73769027
why isn't it changed? I know it's not a big an issue as illegal immigration etc but surely everyone can just tell the government, 'this is stupid so sort it out'
>>
>>73767664
We dont. Its something that Southern Europeans do.
>>
I live in a first world country so tipping is basically non existent
>>
>>73769052
>gas station workers.

I have only seen these in new jersey because I guess it's illegal to pump your own gas in jersey because they are a bunch of fucking morons or something.
>>
>>73767664
I think tipping is a strange custom.

Why do restaurants not pay the workers enough? A
>>
In my country we have easy rules on tipping to prevent headache. You tip all workers, even department store clerks the standard 20%, plus 10% for the cleaning crew and 5% for the owner of the establishment.

The reason for those numbers is
Base amount 100% + clerk tip + cleaning tip + owner tip + moms (special sales tax) + normal sales tax = 300%

Very easy and consistent, unless you buy a car. I think the sales tax alone on that is around 400%.
>>
>>73769097

If you want to hear a defence of something moronic, go to the appropriate reddit thread.

>I am Wal-Mart. I have hundreds of thousands of items for sale in thousands of stores. One item is a basketball that costs $10 without tax. I can print thousands of copies of one label that says "basketball $10" plus the same upc code as long as taxes aren't added into the price.
>If I decide to make labels with the taxes added in, I now have to print hundreds of different labels for the hundreds of different prices. The tax rates are different for each state, country/parish, and city, so that would mean hundreds of different prices. I would also have to make sure that the right prices end up in the right stores. OR I can leave it up to the stores to make the labels, but then they have to figure out what the price is after applying the local tax rate and then print the label themselves. This would have to be done for every item in the store.
>>
>>73768886
It has nothing to do with being stupid, and almost everyone would agree with you. Its just no one gives that much a fuck, and theres more important shit to worry about. What are we going to do? Boycott EVERY business in existence all across the country? No one knows why we dont see the sales tax until were rang up, though if I had to speculate its probably so the business can make prices "appear" more affordable (like how businesses use $4.99 instead of just $5.00), even though we all know its bullshit. Just my $.02.
>>
>>73768948
That also bothers me. I can't help shake the feeling that the only reason they're doing a good job is because you think you're going to give them a tip. Rather than just doing a good job because that's what they're employed to do.
>>
In russia there is no "tips. There are only Bribes. You bribe everyone and everywhere to make them do their job properly.

And essentially all tips ARE bribes and criminal activity aimed for black untaxed money transfer.
>>
>>73768732
The work of the jews
>>
>>73767664
Well the "tip" is factored into the price of a meal so theres no need
>>
>>73769298
That makes sense
>>
>>73769225
Some restaurants do pay minimum wage and anyone working there that expects a tip for anything less than outstanding service is a douchebag.

Others get around it by stating that you work for tips and somehow it has become part of our culture that I need to pay for my meal and then pay the person taking my orders salary.
>>
>>73769245
Oh yeah, I forgot mandatory africatax of 2.5%. Some people get exceptions though (retards, cripples, single mothers).
>>
I hate tipping culture. It's the reason I don't order delivery food anymore, and I only go to restaurants rarely. Got sick of the entitlement from the staff as if they were doing me a favour and I owed them a tip.

They can keep their attitude. I'll keep my money.
>>
>>73769277
why is this not federal?
>>
>>73769464
>the dirty from delivery boys looks when you pick up carry out/pizza
>>
>>73769405
>cents
>>
Tipping is a premium for better service. Non-tippers get standard service, but they don't realize by paying a little more, they'll be treated like royalty.
>>
In my country, we have freedom, and do whatever the fuck we want.

I don't tip, unless they really work for it, or I make a mistake myself that causes that person a problem during our business exchange.
>>
You can tip to show appreciation, other than that, servers earn decent wages. No taxing on tips as far as I know.
>>
>>73769526
This only applies if you are a regular and the establishment is hiring people that understand it.

>go to same steak house 20 times
>get same waitress
>tip well
>she assumes you are just a tipcuck
>shitty service every time
>>
>>73768732

You see we tax EVERYTHING super hard, so we are dumb to this bullshit by now.

People may freak out if they go to the store and pay lets just say 2.50 for eggs and then taxes go up and now its 2.70 for eggs.

Instead we leave it at 2.50 and then just hope the consumer does not notice.

Our local governments are generally retards, the NDP especially are actual criminals half the time.

They deserve to be hanged.

I've lived long enough to witness them actually steal money from tax payers without explanation.

Raise taxes for X (it was pot hole repair / road work)

Nothing happens to the roads.

We need more money for road repair!

Well where the fuck did that money go from before?

..... ????

More money please
>>
File: 1462215492962.png (426 KB, 708x738) Image search: [Google]
1462215492962.png
426 KB, 708x738
>>73769526
I'd rather be treated like an American than royalty, but then again I'm not a freedom hating Muslim.

What are you going to do when Donald is elected?
>>
>>73769695
Why would you continue to give your patronage to a restaurant with lousy service? If I'm a repeat customer it's because I enjoy the food and service orovided. Millions of restaurants serve good food.
>>
>>73767664

*tips waiter*

hehe... t'was merely pocket change m'waiter... perhaps now you britainese rascals will appreciate the liberation that come with being m'true american
>>
Tipping is common here, but it's not necessary, because even a waiter here makes probably 30000 dollars a year excluding tips so...
>>
File: 1311047035319.jpg (93 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1311047035319.jpg
93 KB, 1280x720
>>73769507

>tfw discovered frozen pizza master race
>tfw never have to order greasy, overpriced pizza that comes in a cardboard box that smells like my garage again

Feels good, man. Heil frozen pizza master race.
>>
File: 1461539871268.jpg (65 KB, 403x403) Image search: [Google]
1461539871268.jpg
65 KB, 403x403
>>73769798
>but then again I'm not a freedom hating Muslim.

Nice.
>>
We tip but there is no rule ... I usually leav a tip by rounding up the bill
>>
>>73769882
I'm just saying that your earlier post it not always correct, obviously I am not going to go to shitsteak 20 times but some people don't care if you tip well and are shitty workers.

People you have never encountered will not know if you tip well and some of them may not put in maximum effort without knowing.
>disappearing captcha

Fuck off jewt
>>
>>73769341
That's the whole point. Maybe things are different elsewhere, but this is the mindset of the average American:
https://youtu.be/_iiOEQOtBlQ?t=1m9s
>>
>>73769964
I know pizza hut is frozen nowadays. Might as fucking well.
>>
I'm between seasonal jobs and work weekends at my rock climbing gym belaying kids and coaching them through it since many are new to it or scared of heights. I was perfectly fine working for $10 an hour cash because it's just me trying to pay for my month's membership there and I genuinely like working with kids, but apparently tips are a thing for belayers. I've frequently received more money than I made from the gym just from tips. I'm not upset receiving more money, but it's a bit ridiculous when all I'm doing half the time is yelling something along the lines of "get your feet up!" and belaying kids on a very easy indoor top rope setup. I think it's a sign of just how ridiculous tipping culture is here when you're tipped for helping someone climb fake rock walls.
>>
>>73767664
Only poorfags don't tip.
>>
>Japanese people see tipping as insulting

That's because it is. I always feel awkward tipping on a small bill, all "Ummm here's two dollars." I feel like I'm giving money to a beggar.
>>
>>73768886
sales tax is different by city. in the LA area it can range from 9-10% whereas San Diego its 8%
>>
>>73767664
Tipping is some bullshit seppos invented because they're too stingy to pay minimum wage.

MUH FREEDOM
>>
>>73767664
I never ever tip. If someone wants a tip, I will never buy something from this place.

They have a chance:
no tip and a potential customer or tip and a 100 % guarantee, that I will never purchase anything from this place
>>
>>73771866
nah it originated from rich people giving the poor extra rewards for good service

then the middle class wanted to feel rich as well and joined in because muh pride

then the poor started expecting it from everyone
>>
>>73771866

>seppo

fuck off you sheep shagging cunt that's our word
>>
>>73767664
I don't think tipping is that common, absolutely not. Some I guess want to imitate Americans however.
>>
once tried to tip my italian tailor and she wouldnt accept the money
>>
>>73772081

>she

fucking wogs. she probably though you were paying for a root
>>
>>73768732
Well those are consumer taxes so if you're a business you can claim that tax.

>>73769777
What the fuck are you talking about.
>>
File: 1433892924520.gif (646 KB, 512x481) Image search: [Google]
1433892924520.gif
646 KB, 512x481
if tipping is insulting.

would bartering for cheaper price and giving them less money be a most honorable thing?

wow japs stupid poor monkey
>>
Only ever tip to round off the bill so I don't have to deal with coins tbqh
>>
Tip if the meal is exceptional
We mostly pay with bankcard anyway, so no tipping
>>
I think tipping culture is extremely well suited to a country with massive culture of entitlement as America. Where as countries with culture of duty and shame like Japan or protestant work ethic countries hate it.
>>
File: 1459205447347.jpg (63 KB, 585x454) Image search: [Google]
1459205447347.jpg
63 KB, 585x454
>>73769882
It's not so much that as preferential service. My wife and I are regulars at a local restuarant that's always booming. Lines out the wazoo, I tell ya.

We enjoy the place and go roughly once a week, and we tip well. We get priority seating, as in, we walk in, and we're immediately seated instead of waiting to be called, we get extra little things with our meals on the house, and the waitress is very friendly and practically sucks my cock. This also does give me some power as when they have newer people or I simply didn't enjoy myself due to lackluster service, I don't tip, and they understand I'm upset and am immediately met with apologies and a complimentary meal on my next visit.

As for tipping, if you're only going there once, don't fucking tip. It's retarded. I've been on many trips around the country and if I know I'm never going to set foot in that place again, I won't tip.
>>
>>73772360
but the tips only go to waitstaff here. Cooks rarely get tipped and the fucking fat greedy with 5 kids from as many men waiters get it all. Fuck servers, they all all fat entitled bitches.
>>
>>73772614
Stop tipping then
>>
>>73767664
Hell if i know.
Somewhere I don't give a tips and waitgirls doing puppy eyes, somewhere I give and hear "Comrade you forgot your change".
So I always feel stupid.
Same in motels, in one you supposed to call a reception to come and check room before leaving like i can stole their sheets and batteries, in other i ask if i should call them and "Of course not (what kind of retard are you?)"
Traveling in large country it's a pain in the ass.
>>
>>73768886
Unlike the ausfags we can actually basic math, it's not really a big deal.
>>
File: 1396858144986s.jpg (5 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
1396858144986s.jpg
5 KB, 100x100
>>73769245
>>73769421
Next time, /pol/. Next time.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.