[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Henry David Thoreau
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: Henry_David_Thoreau.jpg (180 KB, 623x768) Image search: [Google]
Henry_David_Thoreau.jpg
180 KB, 623x768
What does /pol/ think of Henry David Thoreau?
>>
File: kentucky.gif (72 KB, 500x200) Image search: [Google]
kentucky.gif
72 KB, 500x200
>>73638882
wrong turn, friend
>>>/out/
>>
went innawoods for like 20 years for no reason
>>
>>73639022
while I could sit here, admiring my own dubs (tres gauche, n'est ce pas?)
I'll say that Thoreau, while perhaps the original hippie, did what he set out to do and lived deliberately.
Good on him, the fucking dirty hippie
>>
what a neckbeard lmao
>>
>>73638882
>What does /pol/ think of Henry David Thoreau?

I try not to
>>
The first 2 chapters of Walden are all you really need to read. They are must-reads tho
>>
File: Ralph_Waldo_Emerson_ca1857.jpg (202 KB, 452x723) Image search: [Google]
Ralph_Waldo_Emerson_ca1857.jpg
202 KB, 452x723
Great American but haven't read him in awhile. He's a disciple of Emerson, but not intellectually Emerson's equal. His writing, stylistically, strikes one as imitative and not original when read against Emerson. His contribution of course is that he went out and actually did the things Emerson only wrote essays about from his perch up in the intellectual ozone. Thoreau lived it. He embodied the Yankee self-reliant spirit in communion with nature.

Whitman is the greatest one of these great "American Renaissance" Americans of the 1850s. Frankly Emerson is probably at the bottom of a list ranking of Hawthorne and Melville and Dickens and Whitman and Emerson in terms of literary accomplishment, but that of course isn't exactly why he's important.
>>
>>73639058

>went innawoods for like 20 years for no reason
Try 2 years.

I think he was severely depressed and that's why he left society for his "experiment."
>>
>>73640203

>frankly Emerson

Bah. Meant Thoreau
>>
>>73638882
Based desu senpai

>>73640203
Whitman a shit
>>
>>73639319
but not a turkroach
>>
File: Whitman_at_about_fifty.jpg (196 KB, 754x1140) Image search: [Google]
Whitman_at_about_fifty.jpg
196 KB, 754x1140
>>73640476
>Whitman a shit

Whitman is the best poet America ever produced and ever will produce. His genius is bigger than any other American literary figure, ever. He's probably the only American literary figure that can stand among other figures of world importance, like Shakespeare for the English or Virgil or Dante for the Italians. If anyone is reading American literature 500 years from now, Whitman will probably the only one anyone will read-- and maybe Melville, because of Moby Dick.

:^)
>>
The only who idealized the real freedom, the best of intelectual americans.
Walden is a my life inspiration
>>
>>73638882
is t,hat an animE!?!!??
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.