[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did punk bands in the 80s hate him so much? I know he's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 11
File: ap_ronald_reagan_jef_120615_wb.jpg (24 KB, 392x221) Image search: [Google]
ap_ronald_reagan_jef_120615_wb.jpg
24 KB, 392x221
Why did punk bands in the 80s hate him so much? I know he's well-liked here. Explain to a non-American.
>>
>>73588251
He was The Man, they would have hated anyone because that's the movement, rebellion
>>
Reagan had a lot of really bad policies, but no one really cared about that

they just hated him because he wasn't a communist
>>
It's like what's happening now with trump, except the 'progressive' kids back then were part of a constructive and defined subculture that required them to have an actual interest in others and/or have an actual skill that interested others. Punk bands like Reagan Youth were basically the same as the blue haired sjw manlet c*cks of today, except they had no internet so they had to leave their homes and do something constructive to gain a platform for expression. Their arguments against him were that he was an extremist (like they say about trump) didn't know a thing about politics because he was a tv/film actor not a politician (like they say about trump) and that he was LITERALLY HITLER and everyone that supports him were nazis (like they say about trump) without any actual arguments
>>
>>73588251
>Reagan
>Well liked on /pol/
Why the fuck would /pol/ like an amnesty granting, gun grabbing senile that allowed no-fault divorce?
>>
>>73588560
Hmm...I've seen arguments that homelessness was practically non-existent in America before Reagan.
>>
>>73588251
Punk was non-conformist counter culture, Regan was The Man
>>
I was big into punk and I liked him

Most punk people are delusional drug addicts
>>
>>73588251
>Why did punk bands in the 80s hate him so much?

He represented authority. That's why punkers hated him.

He represented authority. That's why (real) Americans loved him. Americans have a fetish for anyone who wore a military uniform.
>>
File: muhtrickledown.png (304 KB, 625x586) Image search: [Google]
muhtrickledown.png
304 KB, 625x586
>>
>>73588251

A bunch of low IQ, low class faggots wearing literal BDSM gear. Who cares who they hated. Their music was pure shit also.
>>
>>73588560
That's not to say it was Reagan's fault. The 20 year olds of the swinging 60's were experiencing the downside of the new wave of drug-taking and psychedelic culture, which was totally new. Nobody knew what would happen to a teenager who did nothing but psychedelic drugs for a decade, constantly moving around and intoxicating themselves with mind-altering substances became older - it comes as no surprise to us nowadays that they would develop debilitating mental illnesses at unprecedented rates, but that's because we've seen what happened. Also the Vietnam vets had just come home and they faced extreme prejudice from the public and the state due to their 'babykilling' tendencies. This, coupled with their years of literal psychological torture, thinking they could die at any second for years at a time on the other side of the world, which changed many of them forever, again put with the heroin dependencies many of them developed by using opium as a coping method in Vietnam put them on the streets. The Vietnam vets were where the whole 'homeless vet' thing started, and the whole 'people aren't mentally ill, just quirky' was started in the 60's and was continued throughout the 70's which led to the almost complete extinction of mental hospitals - the people whom would previously have been admitted to full time residential care in one such hospital were instead forced onto the streets. The homelessness epidemic of the 80's and 90's was caused by a culmination of destructive degenerate behaviours being accepted and promoted by society in the 60's through to 1980-81. Similar to what's happening now to be honest, it's all a cycle.
>>
>>73588560
>>73590513
Interesting read. Thank you.
>>
>>73590157

15 year old detected

the fact that children like you think worshipping reagan and other neocon faggots is "counterculture" nowadays is fucking pathetic.

stay in school.
>>
>>73592275
Not an argument
>>
Reagan was a neocon who allowed amnesty, why would he be popular here?
>>
>>73590513
>>73588560

kek, what a load of pseudointellectual bullshit from a faggot who clearly was born in the late 90s.

reagan was a neocon through and through. his administration's policies were the true beginning of a destroyed middle class (not that the neocon faggotry was exclusive to him, but he made it "cool" to be a bootlicking faggot), between flaming corporatocracy and endless foreign intervention.
>>
Reagan was a bad president. Yeah, he took the commies down a peg sure, but that was based on him getting shot (Russians understand and respect strength) and he was incredibly lucky that the Russians didn't call his bluff on the Strategic Defense Initiative.

People that like Reagan and the man himself is the reason why I keep a good distance away from the far right. Certainly don't like the far left as well.
>>
>>73592380
Reagan's more of an Americana posterboy. He reminds you of the "Good 'ol days." Sure he had bad policies but leftfucks hated him and America was doing quite well during his tenure
>>
>>73592327

are you implying that the previous comment was an argument? i'm just responding to a shitpost with a proper shitpost/pointing out the obvious
>>
>>73588676
They threw them all in asylums. The rest stayed out of sight.
>>
>>73588251
Bigger corporatist shill then shillery herself.
>>
>>73592577
Still not an argument
>>
>>73592577
go listen to your punk rock grandpa
>>
They were edgy rich kids and drug addicts that didnt understand politics.
>>
>>73588251
Lol was just thinking this. Punk is anti establishent (was). Fags like nofx now are all about establishment and sjw

I rememeber all the anti regan songs in the 80s

The number one thing the called him was a facist

The similarities between reagan and trump is astounding.
>>
File: 1450397312381.gif (644 KB, 500x270) Image search: [Google]
1450397312381.gif
644 KB, 500x270
https://www.salon.com/2013/09/29/ronald_reagans_shameful_legacy_violence_the_homeless_mental_illness/
>>
>>73593056
>salon
Out
>>
>>73593056
The shitting down of insane alylumns is his worst black mark for sure

Stupid
>>
>>73592781

>edgy underage /pol/ child accusing someone of not understanding politics

thanks for the laugh
>>
/pol/ loves Reagan!!!!

https://youtu.be/y3f9mlUQzJA
>>
File: 1460745776812.png (120 KB, 396x400) Image search: [Google]
1460745776812.png
120 KB, 396x400
>>73593099
>hotdogs
IN
>>
>>73592550
>America was doing quite well during his tenure

while he worked to destroy the country with outsourcing, mass immigration, union busting, neoliberalism, and wall street deregulation.
>>
What did this guy actually do?

I mean, from a Brit's POV he was a cunt towards us when the Argies stepped into the Falkland Islands and said he wasn't going to help us, and he's literally a neo-con run-of-the-mill Republican twat who offers nothing to real conservatism.

Seriously, wtf did he do that was good?
>>
>>73588560
>Punk
>Equating it to SJWs of today
You goddamn idiot
>>
>>73588251
people who say you should act responsible are easy targets for narcissists, the majority of punks are/were narcissists, interested in fashion/the scene/being in the group more than the actual music

theres also a big DIY thing with punk, which for some reason that escapes me, has a huge disconnect with conservatism when it shouldn't
DIY is all about taking pride in your own accomplishments and not asking for help, which is inherently conservative, not many punks pick up on this though (because they aren't really DIY, just poseurs)

johnny ramone and dee dee ramone loved raegan

faggots like the sex pistols were basically a living billboard advertisement for a extremely expensive Vivienne Westwood fashion shop
>>
This guys mom was born near my city.
>>
File: reagan smash.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
reagan smash.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>73588251
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTqUoSF8mJA
thread theme music
>>
>>73592428
I never said I supported him, all I said was that homelessness that occured during his presidency wasn't his fault. You're right about him making it cool to be authoritarian, but it wasn't his policies that made him popular amongst kids, what made 'bootlicking cool' was the fact that their teachers were boomers, teaching them liberal stuff in schools, the majority of the kids were liberal commie faggots who hated him, so the kids who didn't really feel the need to conform to authority at school or amongst their peers supported Reagan when he came along because he legitimised their opposition to the establishment. Fast forward 35 years, and the non-conformist kids hang out on /pol/, and the legitimising authority is trump.
>>
>>73593822
Maybe you should read my reasoning son instead of seeing me equate two things that superficially are different and dismissing the exolanation before even reading it
>>
>>73589298
Underrated post

I'm not exactly fond of Keynesian economics, but fuck that filthy jew Friedman and his backwards ass kikery that defiled all common sense of supply and demand

A shortage of money is what causes depressions? What the fuck kind of kikery is that?
>>
File: IMG_1451.jpg (944 KB, 1800x1515) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1451.jpg
944 KB, 1800x1515
>>73592428
>>73592428
>he thinks neocons were the beginning of the destruction of the middle-class
>not CRA 64/VRA 65
>not perpetuated by Ford and Carter
>anyone who has made peace with authority is a boot-licking faggot

It truly is the sign of the infantile mind in which one can not make peace with the fact that some sort of established authority must be in place for societies as large as ours, and the constant need for rebellion usually stems from a lack of a father figure.

also: america has ceaselessly intervened in foreign affairs, how was reagan's time any different?
>>
File: 1462071055688.png (502 KB, 747x418) Image search: [Google]
1462071055688.png
502 KB, 747x418
>>73588251
He released the mental patients onto the streets.
so in answer to your question, I have no idea.
Must be something good about him if the Bush clan tired to kill him.
Also ayyy lamoo enters the contest.
>>
>>73588560
>the 'progressive' kids back then were part of a constructive and defined subculture that required them to have an actual interest in others

basically life before the internet and phones.
>>
>>73593722
>What did this guy actually do?
Very little, actually

>I mean, from a Brit's POV he was a cunt towards us when the Argies stepped into the Falkland Islands and said he wasn't going to help us,

>he's literally a neo-con run-of-the-mill Republican twat who offers nothing to real conservatism.

Bingo! But he's more than that. He's the progenitor of all the other neo-con run-of-the-mill Republican twats who offer nothing to real conservatism. He was the original Neo-con who turned Neo-con's into a fad and the insipid cucks have been in control of the republican party ever since. Hopefully the rise of Trump will do something to finally put this trend in it's grave once and for all

>Seriously, wtf did he do that was good?
He's most fondly remembered for his collaboration to bring the soviet union to end. While he ultimately succeeded, it was not like that was something he did all by himself. The Soviet Union was brought down by collaborated efforts of every president for the past fortey-something years slowly chipping away at it, the machinations of other global leaders notwithstanding. Reagan just got the credit for the kill because it rapidly crumbled on his watch

You know how every country in Europe is pissed off for America taking all the credit for winning both world wars despite jumping in only towards the end? Well, Reagan gave us a taste of our own medicine
>>
>tfw you love punk music
>tfw you are now redpilled and punk lyrics are shit
>>
>>73589298
Gee, it's almost as if we left the bretton woods system and went to fiat currency in the 70s or something!
>>
>>73593822

he's right, at least the majority of it, when not singing about personal issues it would be about liberal values.
>>
>>73589298
>Implies Keynesian economics stopped being practiced in 1981
Post is retarded
>>
>>73593822
Spotted the degenerate punk faggot who SWEARS! SJWs are completely different from him. Punks actually stand for something, brah!
>>
Like most presidents, his policies had short term benefits that spurred economic revenue. Unfortunately, these same policies also increased the debt. So I guess he created short term fixes that resulted in lingering problems
>>
>>73588251
Anyone who understood economics back then knew he was fucking us behind our backs.
That being said most of them hated him because he was "the man"
>>
Ronald Reagan presided over the most corrupt presidential administration by an alarmingly wide margin, with 237 criminal indictments and convictions. The man was a slime.
>>
>>73589298
>we all grew

bulshit. global standards were all over the place

>we grew apart

bullshit. it trickled down and made africa triple
>>
>>73592428
>bootlicking
Please kill yourself for actually using that in a sentence
>>
>>73588916
>Americans have a fetish for anyone who can lie to you and make it believable
Ftfy
>>
>>73593516
>union busting
Only leftist commies cite that as a bad thing
>>
File: image.jpg (127 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127 KB, 750x750
I don't understand it myself, but I have nothing against it. I love Reagan, but one of my favorite bands is Iron Reagan, which is anarchist nonsense. I'm wearing a hoodie from them right now, own two shirts, and have seen them twice in concert.
I know people were butthurt over Municipal Waste releasing a shirt of Trump blowing his own brains out, but I think it's cool, regardless of the fact that I love Trump.

Also, pic related. The hoodie I have on
>>
File: IMG_0139.jpg (246 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0139.jpg
246 KB, 2048x1365
>>73594094
you have been waiting so long to use this haven't you?
>>
Reagan was only good for Foreign Policy. Domestically, he was shit. Deficit/debt skyrocketed and corporate cock began to fuck our adses deeper than ever before.
>>
>>73588251
They wanted to have sex and pa rty all the time and Reagan was all about cleaning up degenerates.

He should have went full putin and jailed them.
>>
>>73598214
sadly, this is true
>>
>>73598847
>pedo
>>
>>73588251
Punks are anarchists.

But there were one Ramones guy that supported him.

>>73588387
>Anarchism
>Communism
>>
>>73589298
> the economic explosion following WWII was the result of Keynes, not the massive effort to rebuild Europe led by the US, as well as an intensive arms race
>>
>>73588251
Frankly I don't know why people like him so much. He was at best an unremarkable president.
>>
File: 1462037514955.gif (1001 KB, 250x207) Image search: [Google]
1462037514955.gif
1001 KB, 250x207
>>73588251
>>73588352
>>73588387
Jello Biafra gets BTFO by dindus at Occupy!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D94Q4cDy6AQ
>>
>>73588352
But why don't they hate Obama and liberals today?
>>
>>73596147

Better start a band. The pendulum has swung, now the right is counterculture.
>>
>>73598369
>unions
>communist
>>
>>73592428
You're a fucking idiot if you don't think that the middle class was already being destroyed in the early 1970s.
>>
>>73594871
Finally someone who know what they're talking about.
>>
>>73599994
Punk today isn't the same as punk back then. It's a lot less political, and more about having fun.
>>
>>73602470
No, it's still political, but most of the politics are about trans-rights and gay stuff.
>>
>>73598369
>power is concentrated in the hands of 1% of americans
>collective bargaining against the capitalists is evil
you're retarded. There's nothing wrong with unions
>>
>>73590157
>low iq

Greg Graffin (Bad Religion) PhD in zoology, Dexter Holland (The Offspring) PhD in molecular biology, Milo Aukerman (The Descendents) PhD Biochemistry, Henry Rollins and Jello Biafra are the epitome of redpilled. You have literally no fucking clue what you're talking about. Fuck, even the insanity that was G.G. Allen made more sense than you.

>>73592275
This guy gets it.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.