[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What if you are crazy but didn't know it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 8
How can you be sure that you aren't currently living a figment of your imagination because you are mentally ill or in a virtual reality like the matrix?
>>
>>73555796
ᵀʰᶦˢ ᵗʰʳᵉᵃᵈ ʷᵃˢ ᵖᵃᶦᵈ ᶠᵒʳ ᵇʸ ᴴᶦᶫᶫᵃʳʸ ᶠᵒʳ ᴬᵐᵉʳᶦᶜᵃ, ᵃ ᶜᵃᵐᵖᵃᶦᵍᶰ ˢᵘᵖᵖᵒʳᵗᵉᵈ ᵇʸ ᵐᵒʳᵉ ᵗʰᵃᶰ ᵒᶰᵉ ᵐᶦᶫᶫᶦᵒᶰ ᵍʳᵃˢˢʳᵒᵒᵗˢ ᵈᵒᶰᵒʳˢ⋅
>>
>>73555796
ᵀʰᶦˢ ᵗʰʳᵉᵃᵈ ʷᵃˢ ᵖᵃᶦᵈ ᶠᵒʳ ᵇʸ ᴴᶦᶫᶫᵃʳʸ ᶠᵒʳ ᴬᵐᵉʳᶦᶜᵃ, ᵃ ᶜᵃᵐᵖᵃᶦᵍᶰ ˢᵘᵖᵖᵒʳᵗᵉᵈ ᵇʸ ᵐᵒʳᵉ ᵗʰᵃᶰ ᵒᶰᵉ ᵐᶦᶫᶫᶦᵒᶰ ᵍʳᵃˢˢʳᵒᵒᵗˢ ᵈᵒᶰᵒʳˢ⋅
>>
>>73555856
?
>>
>>73555796
Why would it matter?
>>
>>73555796
We cant.

Maybe some hindus are right and we really live behind the Maya's veil
>>
>>73556008
You want to be a dchizo?
>>
>>73555796
Because it's all too fucking real, isn't it? Isn't this how you'd expect a random universe to behave?
>>
>>73555796
Too much detail
>>
idk. I might be
>>
>>73556048
if it's functionally identical what does it matter?
>>
>>73555796
It is pointless to fret over non-disprovable ideas.
aka it doesnt fucking matter and there is nothing you could do about it if it was that way
>>
>>73555796
>>
>>73556250
Because most people want to live in the real world and not be disturbed.
>>
>>73555796
Irrational numbers exist, that means whatever is storing the data must have unlimited space.

Ex. Pi.
>>
>>73555796
Satan deceiveth the whole world.
>>
>>73556328
you perception of the real world is your "real world"
>>
File: 1461948213769.png (87 KB, 246x248) Image search: [Google]
1461948213769.png
87 KB, 246x248
>>73556061
Most retarded post ever right here lads...
>>
>>73556328
Define real
>>
>>73555796 (OP)
>>
>>73556061
That's what schizos think too
>>
>>73555796
This is pretty much what happened to me and to be honest it was terrible at first but it's been about a year and a half and realizing that people are actually capable of being nice and aren't always trying to kill each other is a nice feeling and the world has a lot of shit on it but it can be good sometimes so don't worry bro you'll be fine
>>
>>
Requesting someone post Jaden Smith's greatest quotes.
>>
>>73555796
Im gonna reload the matrix like in part 3 which i got bored halfway through and turned off
>>
If anyone is interested in the subject, look up epistemological solipsism.
>>
>>73556358
This means that whatever is running the simulation can store infinite data, and wouldn't need to run a program.

Pi exists as a mathematical concept, and is used to accurately calculate different aspects of circles. (I'm generalizing here)

If this was a simulation, circles wouldn't exist, or irrational numbers wouldn't exist.

I think an easier pill to swallow is that there are only 3 real posters on /pol/, and the rest are intelligence, law enforcement, journalists, and paid posters, officer.
>>
>>73555879
>ᵀʰᶦˢ ᵗʰʳᵉᵃᵈ ʷᵃˢ ᵖᵃᶦᵈ ᶠᵒʳ ᵇʸ Trump ᶠᵒʳ ᴬᵐᵉʳᶦᶜᵃ, ᵃ ᶜᵃᵐᵖᵃᶦᵍᶰ ˢᵘᵖᵖᵒʳᵗᵉᵈ ᵇʸ ᵐᵒʳᵉ ᵗʰᵃᶰ ᵒᶰᵉ ᵐᶦᶫᶫᶦᵒᶰ ᵍʳᵃˢˢʳᵒᵒᵗˢ ᵈᵒᶰᵒʳˢ⋅
>>
File: Rare_'02.jpg (33 KB, 200x266) Image search: [Google]
Rare_'02.jpg
33 KB, 200x266
>>73555879
>>
>>73555796
Well if I am crazy at least i know how to make my life crazy interesting.

>Born to late to explore the Earth
>Born to late to explore the stars
>Born just in time for the second crusade.
>>
>>73555796
If I was living in a figment of my imagination, I could imagine myself getting balls deep in that broad
>>
>>73556888
Reason itself could be an artificial construct. There's no way you'll ever know whether or not this is a simulation/illusion.
>>
>>73557028
I'm embarrassed to have the same flag as you.

>second crusade
>>
>>73556328
If your experience is so consistent that you are left with no means to determine if this is The One True "Real World" then what does that preference even mean?
>>
>>73557094
It's easier to prove that irrational numbers exist, and infinite data storage is highly unlikely.

When you hear hoofbeats, is it more likely to be horses or griffons?
>>
>>73555796
How can you be a figment of an imagination that doesn't exist?
Cognito ergo sum, OP
>>
>>73557028
>second crusade
>American education
>>
>>73557255
>It's easier to prove that irrational numbers exist, and infinite data storage is highly unlikely.
Nothing can be proven, only presumed.
>When you hear hoofbeats, is it more likely to be horses or griffons?
I don't see how it matters? Just because something has a high probability of being true, it doesn't mean it is.
>>
>>73557490
I hope you understand that contemplating your own existence to the extent that everything is an illusion except for your own personal experiences is what the left uses almost exclusively.

Facts don't matter, experiences matter?

Careful friend. You didn't even check my trips from before.
>>
>>73557878
Actually I thought about this while watching film conspiracy theories. For example one conspiracy theory states the movie grease was all in Sandy's mind just as she was about to drown.
>>
File: 34.png (538 KB, 856x432) Image search: [Google]
34.png
538 KB, 856x432
>>73555796
>>
>>73557878
>I hope you understand that contemplating your own existence to the extent that everything is an illusion except for your own personal experiences is what the left uses almost exclusively.
No, they are using moral relativism, which stems from atheism. That is the root cause of all degeneracy we're seeing today.
>Facts don't matter, experiences matter?
Want us to throw away sound philosophy just so you'll have an argument? That's intellectually dishonest.
>>
>>73558132
Sound philosophy is a reflection of the purely human condition.

Not, "everything might be fake except for me."

I see what you're trying to say, and normally I would agree, but this extent of existentialism is fruitless, narcissistic, and scientifically implausible.

Although I tend to just show up in threads playing devil's advocate regardless.
>>
>>73555796

But anon, I already know I'm crazy. I put up with this shit every day.
>>
>>73558432
>this extent of existentialism is fruitless, narcissistic, and scientifically implausible.
Doesn't negate the possibility of it being true. Until you can solve this riddle, everything remains a mystery (whether you like it or not).
>>
>>73558132
Being intellectually honest would be admitting that experiences are subjective and prone to discrepancies related to time, emotion, and memory.

Intellectual dishonesty is entertaining a theory that provides no further understanding of our universe or the human condition.

How would a simulation calculate pi to its infinite digits without infinite data storage?

This is the problem with OP's simulation theory.

Sorry for 2 replies, I realized that I didn't address some things you said after rereading.
>>
>>73556888
>>73556358
>Irrational numbers exist, that means whatever is storing the data must have unlimited space.
straight up wrong.
Pi can be defined as an infinite series. Why would you ever need to store the whole thing?
Fun fact: you only need 39 digits of pi to calculate the circumference of the observable universe to within a hydrogen atom
>>
>>73558739
>Intellectual dishonesty is entertaining a theory that provides no further understanding of our universe or the human condition.
Guess we have different definitions of intellectual dishonesty then. To me it's denying the possibility of a notion/idea on the premise that you simply don't like it.
>How would a simulation calculate pi to its infinite digits without infinite data storage?
Limiting yourself to human reasoning, which could (like I said before) also be an artificial construct.
>>
>>73558782
To what purpose would a simulation as grand as this occur then?

However trivial our own simulations may be, they all serve a purpose.

Being off by 1 atom could eventually lead to imperfect calculations in the unobservable universe. Not to mention 1 atom is massive compared to one string.

Imagine being off by one million strings? The universe is massive, but to have an accurate simulation we would need accurate measurements down to the plank (planc?) scale.

I just don't see it being very plausible.
>>
All I wanted was a pepsi.
>>
>>73559182
To be clear, I'm not saying it definitely can't be one way or another. Studying a bit of string theory makes me question too much. I'm merely arguing the improbability by pointing out potential discrepancies.
>>
>>73556008
Exactly!

>>73557206

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0nbekw08w0
>>
>>73555796
>>
>>73559224

>implying there's a purpose other than, "Let's play games!"
>implying it's accurate, our physics is confusing as fuck as it is

There's a crazy guy at the keyboard. No one knows what the fuck he's doing.
>>
>>73559328
>>
>>73559224
>To what purpose would a simulation as grand as this occur then?
If we're speculating, my vote is that we're simulated either by accident or as some sort of game/drama.

>Being off by 1 atom could eventually lead to imperfect calculations in the unobservable universe. Not to mention 1 atom is massive compared to one string.
The point is you *only need 39 digits* to get that degree of precision. Plank-length-scale precision is easily achievable by tacking on a few more digits. Certainly far less than 1000 digits.
There's no basis for claiming that simulating an infinite universe would require infinite storage. Mathematics can efficiently model infinite quantities to arbitrary precision.
>>
>>73559537
>we are all just a part of a giant game of civ on some interdimensional neckbeards humanware computer, clacking away with his cosmic cheeto dusted fingers.

Or not, either way, doesn't change much.

If we had a super collider 8 times the size of CERN we could probably give him a black eye by forcing energy into a fifth dimension.
>>
>>73559670
WHO ARE
YOU
TO DECIDE WHAT'S IN
MY
BEST INTERESTS?
>>
>>73559739
That's the problem though. As you (or others, haven't checked ID's) have stated, our measurements are artificial constructs used to make sense of an inartificial universe.

We could be completely wrong on the size, scope, and even the laws that govern us. Your arguments work both ways, but I refuse to shrug my shoulders and say we can't know.

I want to see us create this simulation to determine plausibility. I think we can all agree that it's probably the only way to settle this debate.
>>
>>73560092
>I want to see us create this simulation to determine plausibility.
This. Simulations all the way down!
>>
>>73555796
Cognito ergo sum
>>
I have some pretty schizophrenic beliefs, but you're fucking retarded.
>>
File: a man who enjoys life.jpg (448 KB, 2916x1944) Image search: [Google]
a man who enjoys life.jpg
448 KB, 2916x1944
>>73560092
>I refuse to shrug my shoulders and say we can't know.
Well, that's your prerogative. Seeking capital-T Truth seems like a fool's errand to me. Why not just accept that our dearly-held axioms are fundamentally arbitrary? That we only call them "true" because they make sense of reality in a way that is pleasing to us?
I mean, what would capital-T Truth be anyway? Would it be satisfying if god reached down and showed you the stone tablet on which he wrote: "INDUCTION IS TRUE"? I don't think so.

Personally, I've come to believe that this sort of navel-gazing is exactly what the simulators want us to avoid. Because it's just a distraction from the real meat of life. It's boring, it doesn't lead anywhere. But just like with the axioms, there's no way of divining their real intentions. Maybe they love navel-gazing. Who knows?
>>
>>73558072
Hint: Neo never left the matrix.
>>
>>73561010
Hint: he was the only one in his simulation.
>>
>>73560858
That would be true if our understanding of "truth" didn't lead to advancements to humanity.

Just because our understanding may be flawed doesn't mean we can't apply it to still get the intended results.

We can smash particles at near the speed of light and capture the moment of collision.

We can send satellites into (semi) stable orbit at thousands of miles an hour.

I guess I'm coming from a school of thought that knowledge is inherently valuable, regardless if it is immediately applicable.

We had a theory of gravity long before we had space flight. I know one doesn't definitely produce the other, but it would be foolish to say that it didn't lay a workable foundation, even if it is flawed.

I forgot what I was arguing halfway through. Sorry if it was kind of tangential.
>>
File: mkex3en.jpg (607 KB, 1228x1920) Image search: [Google]
mkex3en.jpg
607 KB, 1228x1920
>>73555796
I am in love with Maria
>>
>>73557022
>macedonia
>rare
newfags
>>
>>73557028

Calling you out before the Euro-poors do

>second crusade
>>
>>73560858
>Personally, I've come to believe that this sort of navel-gazing is exactly what the simulators want us to avoid.
It would be presumptuous to say that the creator only have some specific purpose in mind.
Imagine if tomorrow they decide to introduce zombie into the system to see how long we survive and if we all die they will run another simulation.
Everything will be meaningless, even your so-called enlightenment.
The real meat of life is only "real" to you, since only you value what you value.

>>73561666
It is more plausible that we are in a simulation than not.

Who to say that we didn't discover exactly the law of physic of this universe precisely because it was made that way ?
We are basically reverse engineering our reality to the point that we can prove it's a simulation.

>http://www.numberworld.org/misc_runs/pi-12t/
This only take less than a couple of suitcases worth of space to store 12-trillion-digit pi
And this is undoubtedly more advanced than whatever people had when they first discovered the first few law of physic.

I don't know about you but imagine what a city size supercomputer is capable of.
Because if we live in a simulation then whoever "up there" already have technology vastly superior to ours.
>>
>>73556263
Knowing is half the battle.
Every idea was once deemed impossible or disprovable until it was sought after.

t. SCIENCE
>>
that just gave me the hardest cock, thanks OP gonna fap
>>
>>73555796
you can't
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.