[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/pol/ what is your thought on chess?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 16
File: chess_3432045k.jpg (133 KB, 858x536) Image search: [Google]
chess_3432045k.jpg
133 KB, 858x536
/pol/ what is your thought on chess?
>>
http://en.lichess.org/sdiiVC0o
>>
Whites go first but apart from that they are equal to blacks. It's ridiculous.
>>
>>73501292
Degenerate
>>
Don't understand anything other than on a very basic level but I have fun playing it.

What is really crazy is to go on Youtube and hear these "great" chess players break down step by step what are considered the greatest games of all time, played by Grandmasters. They'll tell you to pause and look at the board, try to figure out what move will be made next and it's always some "50 moves ahead teleports behind you" level shit instead of the basic shit I think of.
>>
MODS
>>
>>73501292
http://tcec.chessdom.com/live.php
>>
>>73501385
kek you both are terrible
>>
>>73501292
It's dead.
>>
>>73502187

>Queen protects the king
>>
>>73501292
it's fun, i suck but ive been playing on lichess
>>
>>73501292

It's useful for stimulating the brain; I think schools should have some mandatory chess lessons. It's annoying the modern faggots aren't interested in chess, and play Call of Duty instead.

chess = intellectuals game
>>
Chess is okay. A little boring though. There does come a point where a game has been mostly figured out and the rest is essentially 50/50 mind games. Nothing wrong with that, but after the advent of computers that could beat humans these types of games just lost their appeal.
>>
File: c1442685020938.jpg (32 KB, 425x275) Image search: [Google]
c1442685020938.jpg
32 KB, 425x275
I like it
>>
Ok so the pawn is obviously spear infantry, knights are calvary, and the king is the general. But what real life units were the bishop, the queen and the rook akin to?
>>
>>73505687
Chess is not a solved game. Unlike checkers or tic-tac-toe, there are too many iterations for a computer to guarantee a win or draw. Computers can be very good at chess, but they will never be able to beat a human guaranteed
>>
>>73501292
I like to put the big pointy one up my butt. Other than that overrated. There are video games now.
>>
>>73505330
There's this cafe I go too on Sundays because of free parking in the city.

They have a chessboard there and I usually set it up and play with a friend if one comes with me. If I go alone I usually ask someone that is sitting by themselves to play. Almost every goddamn time they say "I don't know how to play but would love to learn"

How the fuck do you get 20+ years in age and not know the basic moves of chess.
>>
>>73501292
Chess is that game where you throw away the pieces so you can play checkers on the other side of the board.

Jokes aside, it's a pretty neat game.
>>
>>73502400
That's the fun of it; it can be played in multiple levels. Two noobs can have as much of a thrilling and fun game as two grand masters, provided that they're an equal match. Even playing against superior players can be very fun and educational, as long as you can take a loss.
>>
>>73505330
>I think schools should have some mandatory chess lessons
They tried to do that when I was in primary school. They said it was an experiment and that they would maybe do that for all of Canada. They taught the rules using a giant rollable chessboard over the blackboard and it was neat. And then we played ONE GAME over the course of many weeks. The teacher was struggling to follow the rules and she hated it. At first the class had to vote for the next move against her, but she gave up on that and in the end we would just discuss with her what our next move should be and she would pretty much play both sites. I don't remember if "we" finished our game yet. I think it's still postponed. ANYWAY.
>>
File: redgirlpill.jpg (128 KB, 799x533) Image search: [Google]
redgirlpill.jpg
128 KB, 799x533
>>73502400
>"50 moves ahead teleports behind you"
That's a misconception. GM's rarely look more than 2 or 3 moves ahead, they are just the best moves. They also recognize certain formations and clumps that can yield spectacular combinations or sacrifices, pins or what not.

The Russkies trained 2 twin girls from a young age and they were GM's by 10 or something. Like anything, learn it young and practice.
>>
I used to coach my local middle and high school teams. It's great.
>>
>>73501292
Go is objectively better and more interesting.
>>
>>73508816
And it can be played with m&ms or skittles
>>
>>73508379

>use FIDE ranking for every citizen
>people at least at 1800 can teach at schools
>have a person (supervised by a teacher) teach a class once a week
>actual chess classes need a titled player
>artificially create a new market
>increase average IQ
>teach planning and strategy to young minds

Sounds like a great plan to help fix a nation tbqh. It looks harmless, but enforces logic.
>>
>>73506374
you're full of shit. No human has been able to beat a chess computer on long time controls for a while now. They can still win occasionally in blitz because the computer has to severely limit its search depth.
>>
Dey don call it tha game of Kangz fo no reason
>>
>>73501292
Boring. Game for those who pretend to be smart.
>>
>>73509065
Machine-assisted human players consistently beat pure computers though.
>>
>>73501292
Played it in jail alot and lost a lot because my fellow inmates would beat me in like 3 moves with some special tricks
>>
>>73509065
Wew, a decent puter program with old hardware will destroy most any human in a blitz game almost every time. Also the end game is easily computed by computers now and if there is a win they find it.

The only flaw they have now is computing positional play, they will grab a pawn and take a shitty position that might open some doors. You also have to get out of book play with them in the opening, its all coded easily.

The latest "AI" in the proggies is to make them play like humans, blunders and weird moves. Chess is dead and probably Go too, variants all the hotness now.
>>
>>73509583
Nakamura did a showmatch sometime last year where he picked up a few blitz wins against a computer. Most games he just got smashed though. It literally takes the best blitz player in the world to compete with them even on that time control. He's beaten rybka and komodo at least once each if I remember right.

>>73509462
who cares?
>>
>>73509790
>who cares?
just letting you know, asshole.
>>
Too limited of a game. It makes fedoras feel smart so I hate it.
>>
It's fun from time to time, and it's good intellectual exercise, but aside from that, I've always thought that people who devoted their life to it (the Bobby Fisher types) were pretty pathetic. If you have that kind of brainpower, you serve the world better as a scientist, mathematian, or engineer. Chess can be fun but ultimately it's just a board game.
>>
>>73501292

Around the corner fromme there are some smelly hippy types that want to change the game so that the goal isn't to take the other's pieces , rather to dance around the board and finish back where you started. I hate them more than anyone else I've not ever met, and I'm a liberal.
>>
>>73509905
Bobby Fischer played an important role in Cold War psy-ops by beating top Russians.

Furthermore the reputation of being a great chess player can give your opinions a bit more clout, like how Fischer hates Jews. Cucks try to explain it away by saying he was just crazy or something but deep down they know that in order to be the best chess player in the world (for his time) he had to have his head screwed on straight.
>>
File: StarTrekChess.jpg (197 KB, 470x375) Image search: [Google]
StarTrekChess.jpg
197 KB, 470x375
>>73501292
>2268
>still playing 2d idiot-chess
shiggy diggy
>>
reminds me of bobby fischer
was he really being cheated by the soviets in sophisticated ways? was he just another schizo jew?

his later interviews are hilarious
>>
Great brain exercise. I love it personally and am pretty damn good at it. I wish I played it more desu but its not that important in my life.
Pretty red-pilled in some ways except that the queen is the best piece. Also its male dominated, women have to have their own category because they cant compete with men.
>>
Is that the game that Martin Shkreli plays? I love it if so
>>
>>73509905
> If you have that kind of brainpower, you serve the world better as a scientist, mathematian, or engineer.
Chess is a game of pattern memorization that requires serious study from a young age to compete at the super grandmaster level. Just because a person is good at chess doesn't mean they would make a good scientist or mathematician.
>>
>>73506621
>How the fuck do you get 20+ years in age and not know the basic moves of chess.
lol this. I'm not very good at it but I still know how to play and find it fun from time to time.
>>
>>73509392
>>73509900
this tbqh

board games are a low-tier format for gaming
>>
File: IMG-20151106-00472.jpg (913 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20151106-00472.jpg
913 KB, 2592x1944
>>73501292

Tash-Kalar is a much better game.
AND it was designed by white people
Chess was designed by Poos-in-Loos
>>
class game

played by aryan people (INDIA, PERSIA)

and I mean not the untermenschen but the nobles leading those great nations

gives logic powers to fight the jews who like checkers mostly
>>
>>73510678
muh cards

buy more

goym
>>
>>73510690
>gives logic powers to fight the jews who like checkers mostly
a large number of soviet chess greats were jews, Mario
>>
>>73510739

no, the cards are a function of the game and they come in the box

its not a collectible game like Pokemon or Magic or other childish shit like that.
>>
>>73509392
this is pretty redpilled.

Chess is about 2 major things:
>1. Autistic memory and pattern recognition, playing thousands and thousands and thousands of games and getting tutoring with stronger teachers

>2. Psychological warfare, where you play the other person a lot more than you play the game, this is very subtle and far more powerful.

Computer's have somewhat killed 2, which was the real fun of the game, especially competitively. In many countries it is part of the culture, so grandparents teach grandchildren and it's a fun way to learn and spend time with someone you look up to.

The ability or talent for the game is mostly genetic and innate, it can be developed or ignored and snuffed out as your brain matures and becomes worse at learning the game.

The psychological aspect of the game is there for casual players who don't rely on computers, it's still a lot of fun to play over the board with someone. Online chess is pretty boring and people often cheat to boost their ego. The beauty of the game is if you play it over several days and take time to really think about the moves with someone who is as passionate about winning.

I don't think there's a high correlation to intelligence, just memory and experience.

Classic board games are about respecting a tradition and culture that stems from a long history and the civilization that created them. You do a child a great service by teaching them something like Chess, Shogi, Go, because it open's their mind to creative play and stimulates their imagination.
>>
File: Kitani_Minoru_vs_Go_Seigen.jpg (3 MB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
Kitani_Minoru_vs_Go_Seigen.jpg
3 MB, 3072x2304
Pic related is an actually engaging game compared to autistic chess.
>>
>>73501292
Bishop to king seven. Checkmate, I think.
>>
I liked playing the variant where you take a shot of vodka every time you capture a piece.
It's a great equalizer of skill levels, I don't know why they don't do it like this in the tournaments
>>
>>73505140
>...by giving birth to an heir

Pleb.
>>
File: 1461167806632.jpg (41 KB, 338x602) Image search: [Google]
1461167806632.jpg
41 KB, 338x602
bretty good, tho i never play black
>>
>>73501292
Been waiting for a chess mention. Let's talk it. What's your favourite opening? Favourite defence? What are you ranked, chess.com or FIDE if you're that good. Me, pretty boring. Kings pawn. Sicilian, 1480 chess.com. I like a 4 knights game or maybe a Lopez. Depending on opponent. Haven't played for half a year or so but keep up with my tactics training
>>
What I've taken from chess.
>Your oponents will be planning as you plan. They may see outcomes you don't and you may see things they don't.
>Not every person can make every move.
>You needs pawns as much as leaders.
>>
>>73510678
reee

jesus i can't believe i just got baited by an autist
>>
>>73501292
Good for increasing logic skill bar in Sims.
>>
>>73502400
Chess.com has an archive of masters games that go back 300 years or so
>>
I like traditional games. Like Chess, shogi, backgammon, mahjong.

Shame I have no friends to play with.
>>
>>73501292
It is perhaps the most based game there is

>invented by whites
>requires great deal of intellect
>can't be a chimp with muscles and no brain and be good
>boosts your ability to analyse, memory and planning
>>
>>73502400
>>73508399
I guess the 2-50 moves ahead is when there are a handful of pieces on the board and it's usually for the powerful pieces
>>
>>73511795
Also would be interested if anyone has a good book on opening strategy, I have practiced in game play a lot but am clueless as to how to open a game / have a starting strategy
>>
>>73511795
>>invented by whites

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess

Chess is believed to have originated in India, some time before the 7th century

Whites. LOL
>>
File: wewt.png (471 KB, 652x456) Image search: [Google]
wewt.png
471 KB, 652x456
How'd I do, /pol/?
>>
>>73511486

hungarian/khan gambit

1300s, still learning but its a joy. especially when you can chat with other people around the world about their country/life.

kings pawn is p basic but i use it too.
>>
>>73506621
>>73510510
In my late 20s and just learned it a few years ago
>>
>>73505330
>>73509905
>>73510430
>>73510497
In the end, isn't it just memorization? I mean there are hundreds of moves and strategies that are named.

>>73508816
>>73508931
>>73510978
>>73511081
I've always wanted to play Go, seems like it requires actual strategy and is more open
>>
>>73513046
Congratulation on finally becoming white, burger.
>>
>>73513368
>Congratulation on finally becoming white, burger.

becoming white by playing Poo-in-Loo game

LOL
>>
>>73501292
>poo-in-loo game
>mastered by either Jews or Russians
Otherwise, great game to play!
>>
File: 1415299533914.png (283 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1415299533914.png
283 KB, 800x800
I used to go to chess club when I was at school and fuck everything up for the nerds that took it seriously.
>>
>>73511486
My favorite opening is probably the Colle Zukertort. I usually just play defense by ear.

My rating is trash because I haven't played a ranked game in 6 years.
>>
>>73512664
>Fools mate
Congrats, you won against a retard
>>
File: Rybka_logo.png (5 KB, 198x69) Image search: [Google]
Rybka_logo.png
5 KB, 198x69
>>73501292
Fun to play against other people online, while playing their moves against Rybka.
>>
>>73513610
>poo-in-loo game

That's like saying chicken tikka masala is an indian dish.
>>
File: cdCMD.jpg (116 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
cdCMD.jpg
116 KB, 1280x720
Gungi is the objectively superior intellect based game though.
>>
>>73513485
>plays autistic Mongolian card game
>talks shit about Chess
>>
>>73514391
how so? details. for the sake of learning and not googling, not argument.
>>
Chess is a great memory game. Memory is highly correlated with intelligence. I'm great at chess therefore I'm a big-dicked genius.
>>
>>73514524
>plays autistic Mongolian card game

Tash-Kalar isnt a card game. Its an abstract game similar to chess with moves printed on cards. Also it was developed in Czechoslovakia. Not Asia.
>>
>>73511486
I'm just a boring casual.

I open with Queen's pawn, and defend with double King pawn and Slav (changed from QGD to avoid its Exchange variation). Rather orthodox.
I sometimes play KP for fun and play the Italian.
>>
>>73513325

The first part of the game is all memorization. Once you do a certain amount of moves (depending on the opening) you leave book and it's up to innovation.

The first and most important part of chess is a science, but if two people have equal memory an element of art comes into play.
>>
In my experience the first people to claim chess are solved are people that have never played it and don't really understand how many positions are possible (well over 10^80.) The game is not solved and is a ton of fun especially if you add in variants like chess960 (where all the backrow pieces are randomized and mirrored.)

Like everything, the people who talk the most shit about it are generally fucking terrible.
>>
File: 18n8vhvdh9t1ujpg.jpg (22 KB, 948x574) Image search: [Google]
18n8vhvdh9t1ujpg.jpg
22 KB, 948x574
>>73501292
>based Jew is best Jew
>>
File: 1375431614528.gif (584 KB, 600x335) Image search: [Google]
1375431614528.gif
584 KB, 600x335
>>73510678

is this something like magic the gathering? looks pretty autistic desu familia
>>
>>73515819
>is this something like magic the gathering? looks pretty autistic desu familia

no, its more like chess or go
>>
>>73515407
What about computers being able to beat everyone?
>>
File: 2.png (82 KB, 206x206) Image search: [Google]
2.png
82 KB, 206x206
>>73516014
atleast they dont shit post like you.
>>
Wasn't chess mandatory in the sovjet union? Y'all are freaking commies
>>
I have to head out guys.

here is a review of tash-kalar if you are interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfM1CbFQYHg
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.