[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the fuck is alcoholism a "disease"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 21
File: alcohol.jpg (1 MB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
alcohol.jpg
1 MB, 960x640
How the fuck is alcoholism a "disease"?
>>
Idk lmao
>>
It's a bad habit.
>>
addiction Being the mental illness, i guess
>>
It isn't.
Its a social problem (what is even worse then a disease)
>>
still the only you can get bitched at for having so why do you give a fuck faggot OP?
>>
>>73206934
Try telling a doctor it's not a disease.
>>
>>73207288
Doctors stopped giving a shit about people's health a long time ago, their real job now is just selling pills to addicts.
>>
>>73207111
check
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-06-15-00-24.png (370 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-06-15-00-24.png
370 KB, 1080x1920
>>73206934
>common symptoms
>common prognosis
>>
>be alcoholic
>have lava shits every morning
>hangover cure is chocolate milk and 2 shots of Jim beam

>go about my day
>come home
>lock the door and unscrew the cap

>repeat
>>
File: nhs-fat-fuck.jpg (296 KB, 578x2655) Image search: [Google]
nhs-fat-fuck.jpg
296 KB, 578x2655
>>73206934
Same way how obesity is a "disability" and makes a fat fuck "un-privileged", while starving people are lucky they're thin.
>>
>>73206934
It is a genetic disorder, passed from one generation to the next, that increases the brain's susceptibility to chemical dependence on alcohol.

This is all a matter of public record.
>>
Alcohol withdrawal can give you brain damage or kill you.

Sedative-hypnotic substances produce physiological tolerance and dependence.

If you actually picked up a book instead of screaming about niggers all day long you would know this.
>>
File: 1450764354807.png (183 KB, 600x909) Image search: [Google]
1450764354807.png
183 KB, 600x909
>>73207858
ABSOLUTELY FUCKING REKT
>>
>>73207068
Poo in the loo, however, is not a bad habit.
>>
Alcoholism is a disease due to physical dependency after a long period of time. Take a hardcore alcoholic whos been drinking for years and suddenly cut him off from booze. 50% chance the dude could literally die from DT.

KNOWING THIS, he will continue to drink booze and not make and effort for any sort of rehabilitation or if he somehow survives withdrawals, he will eventually relapse because relapse is inevitable.
>>
>>73207093
this
>>
File: pol.jpg (194 KB, 634x967) Image search: [Google]
pol.jpg
194 KB, 634x967
>>73206934
>How the fuck is alcoholism a "disease"?
Alco/pol/ic here

>stopped drinking
>tried AA, got put off at the idea that all a group of people who want to stop drinking do is talk about drinking.
>also the whole "higher power" thing - no-one drove me to the meetings but me
>see a gp, he suggests naltrexone
>try it.
>dry now for over 2 years, next drink I ever take will be my last
>it was my will power (with some help I guess)
>not an invasive pathogen

Calling any addiction a disease is just enablers and addicts way of justifying weak will power. Simply shifting the blame.

Reminder here that "sex addiction" - literally being unable to make sound decisions about when, where and with whom you copulate is classified as a disease....
>>
>>73208756
That's still the drinker making a conscious decision not an external pathogen invading his body and making him ill.
>>
>>73207651
no good buddy

switch to expensive booze

that'll quit you real quick

or at least put you at the position on the class ladder you should actually be at
>>
Boredom is a disease. Alcoholism is a cure for a disease.
>>
File: 7322898-3x2-940x627.jpg (64 KB, 940x627) Image search: [Google]
7322898-3x2-940x627.jpg
64 KB, 940x627
>>73207651
It's the slave to the bottle thing - I hated it
Shit I could've been doing with my wife and kids . Instead I'd be finding excuses and staying home drinking.
It wasn't "reaching the bottom" as in some horrible or embarrassing situation my drinking got me in that made me want to stop.
It was realising that I was drinking myself to an early grave and all the shit I'd miss out on with my kids.

Godspeed anon. I hope you find a way to stop m8.
>>
>>73206934
It's not. It's just people who can't face up to their actions.
>>
File: image.jpg (104 KB, 464x636) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
104 KB, 464x636
>>73209496
At a certain point, it's not really a choice.

It's hard to explain to someone who hasn't been there. That's why a lot of recovering people call themselves "grateful alcoholics" -- being an addict gives you insight into a frame of mind that is inherently irrational and incredibly hard to break out of.

At a certain point, I hated drinking. I knew that if I kept drinking I would die. But I would still wake up every morning with at least two shots, and while I was taking them I would think "you fucking idiot, you're killing yourself, you're throwing your life away." All that did was made me pity myself and drink more, because even though I felt like shit physically and mentally while I drank, I felt sick and delerious when I didn't.

When I finally quit I had to be hospitalized, I hallucinated quite a bit, and I shook for quite a long time after that. So the disease thing makes sense to me.

Don't tell me it's a willpower thing. The chains of addiction are too light to feel until they're too heavy to break.
>>
>>73211422
>>73209343
>>73207651
Thank you for sharing. Good luck and God bless your recovery.

Would anyone else like to share?
>>
>>73211422
>It's hard to explain to someone who hasn't been there.

This is not a pissing match so I'm not going to go into my story - suffice to say I avoided hospital, only just...

To me, when I stopped it was me consciously saying to myself
>ENOUGH!
It wasn't something forcing me to drink, it wasn't anyone making me lift that bottle to my lips. It was all me.
I know how had the addiction was to break (and I'll readily acknowledge I had help with naltrexone) but the decision was mine.
It was a battle of wills between my desire to drink (knowing how it was fucking me up) and my desire to be sober - luckily for me, wanting to be sober won.

>Don't tell me it's a willpower thing.
Calling anything else is a copout as far as I'm concerned. Sorry to disagree and I sincerely hope we both stay dry for life.
Cheers anon.
>>
>>73212441
Yeah I'm pretty much doing the same exact thing right now. I went through a very nasty divorce and for the past two years I come home from work and drink a 12 pack of Yuengling.
>>
>>73212441
Hi, my name is Anon and I'm an alcohol
>HI ANON
It's been 4 minutes, 12 seconds since my last drink
>>
It's the only disease you can get yelled at for having.

-original material
>>
>>73212498
I know plenty of people who made the decision to quit and worked for it, my father included. Some of them took some time to catch on, but seem like they're alright now. I think you can make the decision if you're at that point.

I couldn't do it myself though, I had to have people pull me out of it. I was willing but not able.
>>
File: -1.jpg (76 KB, 800x651) Image search: [Google]
-1.jpg
76 KB, 800x651
Because some people will actually die if they stop drinking.

I know I drink too much, but I justify it with being a college student and mostly drinking beer instead of hard liquor. If I stop drinking for more than a few days, I cannot stay asleep at night without waking up at 3-5am absolutely soaked in cold sweats. Like I just took a shower, absolutely disgusting. This lasts a couple weeks, then I start to feel a lot better. But I will never quit drinking entirely, there is just no point. My brain bounces off the walls all day going deep down the rabbit holes of different tangents my thoughts take, and I need something to tell it to shut the hell up and let me rest my mind a while.
>>
File: red-onions1.jpg (115 KB, 1400x1200) Image search: [Google]
red-onions1.jpg
115 KB, 1400x1200
>>73213115
>I had to have people pull me out of it. I was willing but not able.
So true - it has to come from you eventually tho.
In the dark, on your own when no-one's there to say
>no
is when it needs to be you to say it.

>I couldn't do it myself though, I had to have people pull me out of it.
Consider yourself lucky you had people who gave a shit

I've lost friends who I struggled to help get and stay sober (not just dry). Seeing them relapse was hard andgoing to their funerals - even harder.

>>73213500
>Because some people will actually die if they stop drinking.
True - but that's an effect on your body from building up a tolerance to a toxic substance that you've ingested regularly over along time period.
Nothing to do with a pathogen invading your body and making you sick....

>But I will never quit drinking entirely, there is just no point.
Only you can make that call - for me, I know that I can not stop at one and what waits for me at the bottom of the glass/bottle (another, and another etc. until old habits kick in).

>>73210405
>Boredom is a disease. Alcoholism is a cure for a disease.
Makes more sense to me to call it habit rather than disease.
>>
>>73213500

Anon, you need help.
>>
File: image.png (106 KB, 271x269) Image search: [Google]
image.png
106 KB, 271x269
>Forget I have a beer left in the fridge.
>/pol/ reminds me.
All is well in the world.
>>
>tfw it's been exactly a month today

not gonna lie I'm just about chewing on the walls wanting to get hammered
>>
File: ESKY-49CC.jpg (29 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
ESKY-49CC.jpg
29 KB, 800x800
>>73214556
> just about chewing on the walls wanting to get hammered
Not going to lie - that old demon never gets off your back. Just gets quieter as you get on with other stuff.

Some advice my dr gave me
>Drinking is a habit
>almost like a hobby (work out in yourmind now how much time you devote to it and what lengths you go to to do it)

When you quit, you've got all that time, energy and effort with FUCK ALL to do.
>find something to replace the old habit. Preferably something that is good for you and makes you feel good as well. Then you get the dopamine hit and something healthy...

>>>tfw it's been exactly a month today
Keep plodding on m8.
>>
The Liquid Jew

Never consume the liquid Jew
It only can ravage the life of you
Friends and family will disapprove,
"Do not imbibe in that jewery brew,
your mind will stale, your organs will stew."
And in your stupor you had no clue,
You were already fooled by the tricky Jew.

While you were weak, the illness grew.
Your finances flew, your health did too
And know you wish to start anew
But, alas, your time is through
We always knew,
We warned you too.
Never consume the liquid Jew.

Wulfgang Brahhmans, 1648
>>
>>73215122

cheers m80. I've managed a couple of years here and there in the past so hoping it sticks for life this time. Just got to figure out what to do in life now having boozed my way back to square one yet again.
>>
>>73206934
I'm an irish alcoholic piece of shit. Not my fault. Life just sucks.
>>
>>73212498
>cheers

Triggered hard.
>>
How do you drink in moderation? I think I do it but who knows.

I elect to intoxicate myself maybe once or twice a week. Usually it's alcohol or cannabis, about once a month I might do something harder, never opiates, never benzos, never inhalants, never anything that is actually proven to actively kill brain cells with just one use like "spice" or certain other research chemicals. I enjoy the experience. I'm just genuinely curious about different alternate states so I like to try a lot of substances things. Most of the time it's fairly natural things like Kava or Kratom or something.

Is this wrong? What damage is actually done. I know alcohol fucks up your liver in excess but what's excess? All these government scare campaigns to put people off doing anything remotely unhealthy so they can be good little workers as long as possible really piss me off because I'm not getting it straight and I genuinely want to know about the effects of consuming certain chemicals rather than "they're bad mm'kay".
>>
>alcoholism
>disease

people wouldn't have alcoholism if alcohol didn't exist.

it's literally the definition of a social problem.
>>
Filthy smokers are worse.
>pathetic weaklings without any semblance of self control
>excruciatingly malodorous breath
>teenagers think it's "cool"
>retarded poor people do it for "stress" (shittiest excuse of the year)
>rich fucks think it's "classy"

Hitler should have gassed the smokers alongside the gypsies and kikes.

>mfw smoking was a sport invented by the Turkroaches.
>>
>>73207288
Doctors think trannys and fags are not mentally ill

Why should Intrust them on this?
>>
>>73206934
Havent you heard? People are actually responsible for nothing now.
>>
>>73216566
Don't insult yourself, my white brother.

There is *nothing* wrong with alcoholism.
>>
>>73217030
Typical skill-less, gun-less- freedomless british faggot. Dexaptitate yourself before the new london mayor does
>>
>>73217051
Transexual faggots are the biggest freaks on the planet, worse than the fucking aspies who are bronies or furries.

>mfw those retards do not know that males and females are born with completely different brain cells and DNA.

There is no such thing as chicks with dicks just a bunch of confused faggots with tits.
>>
>>73217098
Thanks friend
>>
>>73211422
I want to pet that cow
>>
File: 1456828869279.jpg (55 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1456828869279.jpg
55 KB, 1280x720
It took me being hungover once for me not to want that ever again.

I drink, but I'll never get black out drunk. I'm glad it's not a problem for me..
>>
>>73217051
Actually, the DSM-V states that being transgender is having a mental illness, which they call body dysmorphia.
>>
>>73217270
(For christ's sake) You fucking American faggot, not every country has the privilege of not being invaded with filthy sandniggers and pakis.

Your niggers are spiraling out of hand though at least my streets are free from nigger monkeys.

Enjoy being controlled and spied on by the Jews.
>>
>>73217395
You are most welcome. 14/88!
>>
File: 1462565957227.jpg (88 KB, 736x420) Image search: [Google]
1462565957227.jpg
88 KB, 736x420
>>73217030
you dropped these
>>
>>73217098
Aside from the irreprable damage to your stomache, brain and liver?
Don't be a cunt m8.

>>73216648
Sorry phamalam, no intention.

>be me
>taking one of the kids to an archery lesson this morning
>clearing a classroom of old desks at the kids school this arvo, taking them to a scrap merchant for dollaryoos to put back into the P&C budget.

Busy days anons. Idle hands and all that shit.

>>73217800
>Enjoy having a narcissistic buffoon or a serial career criminal for a president.

Fxd it for you m80
>>
>>73213500
You should give up booze and beer for 2 months. Drink Tea instead. Go jogging.
>>
I don't get why people don't just do heroin instead of alcohol.
>>
>>73216847
Drinking in moderation is having a few beers. If you're getting shitfaced twice a week, then you're technically a binge drinker under medical standards.

And kratom is very similar to opiates, in that it produces a similar high and works on the same receptors. Physical dependance is possible with kratom. Also, poppy seeds, the plant which is used to make hydrocodone, oxycodone, and heroin is "natural" and they contain morphine alkaloids. Don't make a double standard for "natural" drugs. Natural drugs can fuck you up the same way synthetic drugs can.
>>
Being an alcoholic fucking sucked, so glad i was able to kick the habit after 10 years of abuse.

>waking up hangover every day
>stealing money from family for booze
>whole life pure chaos
>not being able to lead a functioning life
>embarrass yourself in front of everybody

No way i'm going back to that lifestyle.
The worst part was this constant feeling of being sick due to being in a constant hangover state (except for when you're drunk again).
I dont even know how my body endured all that abuse.
>>
>>73207656
Why is there a fucking snack trolley in the obesity ward?
>>
>>73218267
Kratom is similar to opiates but in my experience I've never felt like I NEEDED to do more at any point which I imagine is how real opiate users feel, and like I said I only really do that once a month
>>
>>73217528
this
>>
File: 1408638897543.png (981 KB, 1102x1050) Image search: [Google]
1408638897543.png
981 KB, 1102x1050
>>73206934
I think it becomes a disease when you drink so much it changes your physiology to the point where it's actually dangerous to stop drinking. Kind of like a heroin addict going cold turkey.
>>
>>73206934
It isn't its a predisposition and coping mechanism. I am an alcoholic, when I start drinking I don't stop and I can tolerate large amounts with no short term side effects. The worst I wake up with is dry mouth and some aches, after perhaps about a fifth. I started because I was depressed and could not sleep. I keep drinking because my life gets boring and pretty not fulfilling a lot of the time. When I have to work a lot I don't drink, and I wish I had more legitimate work to do. Also in environments when I need to I stop for awhile. The only solution personally is to not drink at all, but I just find myself bored and frustrated when I do that and the constant reminders in media and social interaction of what I'm avoiding doing don't help. Its my fault I drink too much and calling it a disease out of my control would not help
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1536x2048
>>73218267
>"natural" drugs can fuck you up.

This, so much. I'm sick of people thinking natural is safe or synthetic is bad.

Anthrax is natural. Pacemakers are not natural. The source of a chemical does not effect how the chemical effects your body.

Also, what's the cut-off? Alcohol wasn't invented on purpose, people discovered a natural reaction that produced alcohol and exploited it. Cocaine is a natural alkaloid that people isolate.
>>
Opiates are better anyway tbqh
>>
>>73218158
>brain

http://www.hamsnetwork.org/brain_damage/
>>
>>73218898
>Cocaine is a natural alkaloid

what exactly is wrong with cocaine?
>>
>>73219061
Can fuck up your heart.
>>
>>73218950
Different strokes for different folks.

When I did hard drugs, I loved coke. Coke was almost tied for alcohol, but just a little easier to say no to because of the cost and illegality. Opiates were nice, but I wanted something that made me feel like I'm operating at 110% and in a great fucking mood rather than something that made me blessed out sleepy. I wanted to get things done.

Coke also helped me drink more, so there's that. Eventually I cut it all out except drinking, I found my home in the bottle. It just lit my brain up. I've heard that there's a gene on the Y chromosome passed down by alcoholics that changes the way ethanol affects you. In alcoholic sons of alcoholics, the drink is metabolized into adrenaline, according to the source. I believe that wholeheartedly, the first few drinks get me wired as fuck, and I chase that.
>>
>>73219061
I never went too far with coke compared to addicts I know. I don't think it deserves the demonization it gets. Some people take it too far though, and I can see why.
>>
>>73218998
>Chronic ethanol treatment previously has been shown to cause brain damage in both rats and humans
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Fulton_Crews2/publication/12224170_Binge_Ethanol_Consumption_Causes_Differential_Brain_Damage_in_Young_Adolescent_Rats_Compared_With_Adult_Rats/links/0deec53508564707ca000000.pdf

>People who have been drinking large amounts of alcohol for long periods of time run the risk of developing serious and persistent changes in the brain. Damage may be a result of the direct effects of alcohol on the brain or may result indirectly
http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/aa63/aa63.htm

>ARBI refers to the physiological and biochemical changes in the brain associated
with prolonged and excessive use of alcohol.
http://www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/459ef08040d321969c1dbe059ae53cfb/ARBI+for+GPs+%2800495%29+March+2016.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=459ef08040d321969c1dbe059ae53cfb

Be careful m8, jewgle is not your friend
>>
>>73206934

former alcoholic here

It has to do with the production of dopamine in the brain, disease meaning physical ailment.

It becomes less a matter of choice and more a matter of extremely intense instinct. Kind of like when you are introduced to incredibly stress inducing stimuli , for example if someone you didnt know pointed a loaded gun at you your first instinct would be to become scared. It's similar with addiction, it's an automated response you have little control over.
>>
File: old-dude.jpg (131 KB, 1748x1571) Image search: [Google]
old-dude.jpg
131 KB, 1748x1571
>>73220145
>It has to do with the production of dopamine in the brain,
Correct - hence many drs suggest exercise as a treatment after quitting - the dopamine produced after a hefty session goes a small way to giving the same effect from drinking.

>It becomes less a matter of choice and more a matter of extremely intense instinct.
Habit
> it's an automated response you have little control over.
Habit

Broken via willpower.

>former alcoholic here
Not wanting to seem or be rude here - to me, there is no "former". I'm an alky and always will be. The fact that I don't drink is just fortunate for me (and by proxy those around me).
I'd like to say (without hubris) that it's my willpower over my desire to get shitfaced.
>>
>>73218585
Came here to post this.
>>
>>73221060
>Habit

Yeah essentially it's the exact same process that's extremely amped up, hence different drugs are termed addictive (severe habit forming). It's a matter of willpower, but damn that can be hard for some people if they fall too hard into it.

>no such thing as "former" no offense.

None taken. Its not something that really goes away, but if you age out of it long enough it becomes very background and much easier to control. Not that this implies it's gone, just severely diminished.
>>
>>73217367
whatever man
>>
>>73221644
>None taken. Its not something that really goes away, but if you age out of it long enough it becomes very background and much easier to control.
Cool. Umm, hi fellow oldfag btw.
>>
>>73206934
>How the fuck is alcoholism a "disease"?

So that the medical profession can assert control over it, and profit from it.

Notice how they say that addiction is a life-long disease. Again, that helps maximize profits.

The new thinking is that addiction is not a disease at all, but is actually a type of learning disorder. That approach fits the evidence a lot better. (For example, it explains why a significant percentage of addicts actually end up recovering on their own, with no outside help.)

But it's going to be an uphill climb for the new "learning disorder" model to be accepted. It disrupts the establishment and the business models too much, so it's going to encounter a lot of resistance.
>>
>>73206934
It's a developmental disease, not a disease like cancer. Addictions are developmental diseases.
>>
>>73217051
>>73217367
>>73217707
Of course doctor's understand being trans is a mental illness. It's a birth defect where your brain and body develop with different sexes due to your hormones fucking up in the womb.

Since we can't alter the brain (and likely never will), they alter the body to try to fix it, in an attempt to cure the mismatch. In the future, we'll be able to detect this in utero and fix the fetus so they develop the right body based on their brain chemistry.
>>
File: image.jpg (79 KB, 434x575) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79 KB, 434x575
>>73207111
Checked. Check mine also
>>
>>73214556
On my 4th month, it will get better man. It is very rare that I get those bangs where I really want a fucking drink now, difference is when I do get them is that it doesn't last as long and is easier to control. I always have to remind myself that a bad day is just that, a bad day and just have to deal with it instead of running off the shop to get booze.
>>
>>73223489
pangs*
>>
>>73207805
yeah it skips a generation i think though.
>>
Never noticed before - must be a timeframe thing but my id has changed 4 times since I joined this thread.
Checked my router logs - ip has stayed the same in that time
>>
Hey little girl

I have been drinking 6 litres of frosty jacks everyday day for 15 years

i wake up and brouse /pol/ hoping for a happening every morning
>>
>>73224335
>6 litres of frosty jacks
Literally the chaviest of chavs.

I would do the old "kill yourself" but it sounds like you're doing a breddy gud job so far anyhoo.
>>
>>73214366
Too bad beer is $50/can in the land of a >fucking dude lmao
>>
>>73206934
Alcoholism is degeneracy.
Degeneracy is a mental disorder.
All drug users are mentally ill.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.