[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Oil shock of 2016
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 12
File: oil.png (2 MB, 1074x1025) Image search: [Google]
oil.png
2 MB, 1074x1025
I would start investing in Brent and Texas crude ASAP if I were you.

http://business.financialpost.com/news/energy/fort-mcmurray-fires-knock-out-third-of-canadas-oil-capacity-and-close-major-pipelines?__lsa=42c8-3a1b

>fire less than 10 miles away from oil sands refineries

>40% of Albertas total oilsands production offline (1 million b/d)

>“Production cuts are expected to be short-lived. However, if they are not, the effects of the Fort McMurray fires could spread beyond Canada’s borders,”

>“The question is what is duration of the disruption,” he said. “It’s going to be a wake up call for a lot of folks.”

>"The market is becoming much more sensitive to supply disruptions"

http://www.eia.gov/beta/international/analysis.cfm?iso=CAN

>Canada is the largest source of U.S. crude oil and refined products imports, accounting for about 37% in 2014.

>That year, the United States imported 3.4 million b/d of oil and petroleum products from Canada, of which 2.9 million b/d were crude oil, including diluents. [losing more than 10% of daily crude btw]

>The province of Alberta accounted for 78% of Canadian oil production in 2014. About 81% of Alberta's total crude oil production came from oil sands.

>Canada produced about 4.4 million barrels per day (b/d) of petroleum and other liquid fuels in 2014

>Alberta's oil sands has the third largest oil reserves in the world, after of Venezuela and Saudi Arabia. (166 billion barrels)
>>
>>73161228
>I would start investing in Brent and Texas crude ASAP if I were you

Fuck off
>>
You really underestimate the glut the oil industry is in right now. The reason oil is so cheap is becuase it's become easier to access with the new technologies such as fracking. Plus oil demand is growing at a much slower pace. Saudi Arabia is actually making plans to move on from oil. That should tell you how bad things are.
>>
>>73161484
Wtf are they going to move to? Sell sand to make beachs?
>>
>>73161686
Not be idiots and make a long-term investment in alternative energy research?
>>
Just wait until Long Lake explodes and sets half the prairies on fire :^)
>>
>>73161831
>long term investment in alt energy
>for a short term supply gauge

Bruh 80% of Albertas exports are oil and even though 25% of their GDP is based on the oil sands, most of the rest of the market like construction, real estate, and metal manufacturing is directly related to the shale boom of the past decade. But since the oil glut, Alberta has been in a recession and this fire will only exasperate it to probably devastating levels considering over half of their oil production is at risk.

Leafs get fucked. The only thing they have left is maple syrup, asians, and shit beer.
>>
>>73161228
gee, now these fires are looking way less accidental
>>
File: Fuckyou.gif (2 MB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Fuckyou.gif
2 MB, 400x300
>>73162577
>and shit beer
>>
>>73162355
Could that happen?

I'm scare now...
>>
>>73162622
lmao
>>
File: Cherno Sweat.jpg (166 KB, 941x945) Image search: [Google]
Cherno Sweat.jpg
166 KB, 941x945
>>73163157
It's not likely because there's not much that will easily catch fire at a worksite, and it would be defended tooth and nail... but the fire IS getting close.

You see OP's image? Nexen's Long Lake site is literally under the copyright blurb at the bottom.
>>
>>73163350
>It's not likely because there's not much that will easily catch fire at a worksite
what about OIL?
>>
File: old uncle kek.gif (796 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
old uncle kek.gif
796 KB, 512x512
BURNING LEAVES
>>
Up north in Alberta, just a few years ago, you could make 50 dollars a fucking hour with zero education, with as much overtime you want, also free food, shelter, internet etc etc. The work wasn't even that bad.

It's as if company towns from the 1800s were like utopias or something.

The fact this shit exists pretty much destroys the leftist argument whining about "company towns".
>>
lol keystone XL btfo
>>
File: smoke weed2.jpg (99 KB, 650x433) Image search: [Google]
smoke weed2.jpg
99 KB, 650x433
Hey dudes what's up?
>>
>>73163829
yeah, we're pretty much fucked....

fml...
>>
File: paul can we stop it..png (137 KB, 293x249) Image search: [Google]
paul can we stop it..png
137 KB, 293x249
>>73163350
1:00AM sattleite update shows that the southern fires almost doubled

literally a few hundred yards from long lake now

let me pull it up but afaik the fire will reach the plant within a few hours. Another huge one started 20 miles northeast as well
>>
It's just a coincidence you stupid guy
>>
what does alberta have to provide jobs and money other than oil and clear cutting forests? even without the prospect of the entire province burning down things were looking grim
>>
File: 1462408647298.jpg (46 KB, 878x494) Image search: [Google]
1462408647298.jpg
46 KB, 878x494
>>73164091
come on, a shred of evidence for intentional fire?
>>
File: longlake.png (1 MB, 783x545) Image search: [Google]
longlake.png
1 MB, 783x545
>>73163933
>>73163350
New fires as of 1:00 AM EST
>http://www.arcgis.com/apps/PublicInformation/index.html?appid=0c12ac1e89c24075a2be145f4db6caf5

Long Lake oil sands is the black splotch. Fire is less than a mile outside of the compound now, probably already inside for all I know.

Hopefully it will explode.
>>
>>73164195
Not enough.
About a quarter of all jobs in the province are directly related to energy (oil, gas, coal, etc). A great deal of other industries exist to support the energy sector - for example, we have a large manufacturing base... but almost all of it is dedicated to supporting the energy industry (eg: heavy equipment, pipes, pumps, specialized infrastructure, etc). There's also a large transportation industry but it too has strong ties to the energy sector.

What isn't directly tied to the energy sector is basically lumber, mining, agriculture, government and healthcare, and some small pockets of odd stuff like biotech, finances, and high tech. It hasn't been enough to pick up all of the slack in oil prices.

>>73164625
Damn. Well, if any site has to go up in a ball of flames, it might as well be those CNOOC gooks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNOOC
>>
File: Snapchat-6409655467990849722.jpg (913 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-6409655467990849722.jpg
913 KB, 1440x2560
Everyone's favorite Canadian expat here. I used to be a Conservation officer in Fort Mac. I saw it yesterday at work (I teach English in Poland) and I was literally breathless. I was around for the slave lake fire as well. It sucks bros. If I was back home, I'd be helping somehow with that fire, I swear on me mum.
>>
>>73161228
These are refineries? Or oil wells?

Refineries don't supply barrels of crude, they turn crude into gasoline.

If you destroy the refineries, it means the crude can't be used and will be stockpiled, leading to cheaper crude.
>>
>Alberta elects NDP
>This happens
lol

Housing crash when?
>>
>>73165031
You might be interested in this then:

http://www.google.org/crisismap/2016-fort-mcmurray-fire

Google's TerraBella imaging Sat has made 3 passes over Fort Mac, and the most recent one was May 5th at noon. You can see some of the neighbourhoods that have been completely or partially wiped out. The Super 8 + Denny's + Flying J just west of 63 is gone too. Fortunately there's still quite a lot standing but there are going to be hundreds without homes.

>>73165221
Technically both, but most of the refining is just upgrading to synthetic crude. The shit they pull out of the ground (bitumen) is such a mess that it has to be either partially refined (upgraded) or severely diluted with a solvent to even push it down a pipeline.

>>73165266
Ask Hongcouver
>>
File: Screenshot_20160506-104434.png (4 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160506-104434.png
4 MB, 1440x2560
>>73165437
Shit man. I remember that Timmy's. I don't know if you're from or near fort Mac but it was expensive as shit. I didn't get danger pay or isolation pay or northern pay bonuses, so it was expensive as fuck for me. I went to that subway like every day though. Shit was good. Pic related, me in the forest by fort mac
>>
>>73161686
They gonna make glass and we gonna help with the glassing
>>
>>73161686
flying carpets.
and who knows, they might buy some western fashion gurus to create a line of fashionable suicide vests for the metropolitan upper class terrorist of tomorrow.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1462524651697.jpg (25 KB, 507x454) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1462524651697.jpg
25 KB, 507x454
Stop it guys we must let the fire burn, if we put it out it wins.
>>
>>73166521
Top fucking kek 10/10 post never change Australia
>>
>>73166245
I worked in the energy industry for years at an oil distributor in Edmonton. Never actually been up to Fort Mac (most of my time spent in the ass end of nowhere was out west - Fox Creek, Grande Prairie, Peace River, etc) but we had plenty of customers up in Mac and beyond (Diversified transport, to name a big one). I became plenty familiar with a map of the place when I was helping run our warehouse. Biggest problem we always had was finding a goddamn room for a driver to stay overnight while making deliveries. Had to book that shit a month in advance and still cross your nuts to even have a hope of finding more than a mattress in a cardboard box.

Sucks to see the place half burnt down like this. And the nightmare trek these people are having to make. It took like 10 hours for the first wave of evacuees to show up in Edmonton. And that's with the whole hwy 63 being 4-laned now. It's crazy.

Nice shotgun btw.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.