[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who /registeredlibertarian/ here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: Libertarian_Party.svg.png (236 KB, 985x1024) Image search: [Google]
Libertarian_Party.svg.png
236 KB, 985x1024
Who /registeredlibertarian/ here?
>>
>>73135769
just me?
>>
File: Political Compass 1.png (10 KB, 249x251) Image search: [Google]
Political Compass 1.png
10 KB, 249x251
>>73136718
i never register
>>
I'm a brony libertarian /)
>>
Libertarians are pussies.
>>
>>73137022
are you voting lp?
>>
Libertarians are just communists on the opposite end of the spectrum. Their ideologies completely go against human society and gleefully ignore human behavior
>>
>>73137249
not an argument
>>
Been registered for 8 years. I'm a donor to the party and I'll be at the convention at the end of the month.
>>
File: potholes.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
potholes.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>73137340

>This destroys the libertarian
>>
>>73135769
why these people exist? they make only 1% of the electorate

they are based tho, that cut porcupine
>>
>>73137106
haven't decided yet but probably not
>>
Soon.

LDP FTW.

>>73137249
Actually the opposite, its about guiding the already in place mostly natural system of capitalism into something fairer and more equal (equal like a good game equal, not equal like Marxism).

Libertarianism is literally "oh god you really want this capitalism thing, huh? okay, at least play nice"
>>
>>73137505
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_tax

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_toll_collection

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_road

oops
>>
>tfw I consider myself a left-leaning libertarian
>tfw I believe in small government and states rights
>tfw I also believe that the government should monopoly bust and do some regulation to ensure that the market remains as free and open as possible to encourage competition and discourage consolidation and stagnation
>tfw I also think the gov should introduce programs to right some wrongs like free/low cost community college or vocational programs to help those in poverty elevate themselves

Idk man I agree with 80-90% of the philosophy but I also think the gov should do some things, too. I hate being looped in with anarchist fags who want to go back to the gold standard and let the state of nature return.
>>
File: 1366162235770.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1366162235770.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>73135769
Really I'm just a contrarian so now Trump satisfies my political leanings. Yes, Libertarianism is great but 75% of the electorate is too retarded/apathetic to care about the actual issues of liberty/rights etc. So, Trump is a happy medium
>>
>>73137505
>wire fence
No, this kills libertarianism, people not proactive enough to improve the spaces around them. Road funding could work the same way as fences, but it probably won't because imagine getting a whole street of people to split a quote instead of just two people adjacent to a fence. In theory, with just a little external violence, it could be a free market solution, just not one that follows NAP.

Libertarian roads was solved here a long time ago. This is /pol/, consistently a year ahead of the rear of the world.
>>
>>73138137
what examples of monopolies can you give that have both come about naturally, and done some kind of disservice to consumers.
>>
Registered Liberarian in Oregon

Not allowed to vote in either Primary :(
>>
>>73137505
>make roads and highways
>put a toll booth
>make insane amounts of money
>other people see you made money
>they will try too
>fast forward as the most and better roads they are the cheaper the toll is
everybody wins and big daddy government can go fuck her self
>>
>>73137249
Hello karl
>>
>>73138137
>right some wrongs
what wrongs have been committed that need to be righted? If one person has caused property or personal damage to another he can be liable for that in a court of law and be forced to pay for it. If he is not responsible, but some shady "white privilege" or the actions of his ancestors are, then no due is paid since nothing can be proven in court.
>>
>>73138322
Graphics card market :^)

Or processor market for that matter

The huge R&D investment costs make competition nearly impossible and the only competition we have now was artificially created. Also nvidia's anti-consumer actions.
>>
>>73138504
I can't wait to pay a little extra for the luxury road nobody uses. Going to be nice senpai.
>>
>>73138504
This only works for interstate roads, domestic roads need to be cooperatively funded and commercial roads need commercial establishments willing to technically pay for more than they're due.

You can't toll someone to their driveway or whilst buying bread and milk.
>>
>>73138322
Cable companies come to mind quickly, but also like 4 or 5 companies own something like 90% of mainstream media consumption.

Cell phones and airlines also have some pretty big issues with lack of choice. Airfare in the US is much higher than in other parts of the world because, at least in part, due to a lack of choice.

I'm really mostly concerned about industries that rely heavily on mergers/acquisitions for companies to grow that are simultaenously also very hostile to newcomers.

Media I'm less worried about because I think we're seeing a nice bucking of the trend there, but there are a small handful of industries that I think could use a few more key players.

>>73138673
Right some wrongs was totally and completely the wrong fucking wording on my part. Sorry I gave off the impression.

What I should have said was implement some programs that more effective reduce poverty or incentivize those in poverty to get out of poverty more effectively and efficiently.

For example, the way things are set up now is totally fucked. You get welfare benefits up to a certain income, but then you experience a sharp monetary cliff where you lose benefits but your income doesn't make up the difference, so then the system actually incentivizes you to STAY on welfare rather than work to get out of it.

Another massive issue that causes poverty in America is credential inflation and our obsession with college. The bachelor's degree is worth shit now which means the high school diploma is worth less than shit. It's also frowned upon to go to community college or vocational school.

But there are really good programs to get decent jobs quickly. Low level IT is in demand, vocational work is in demand, there are tons of jobs in low level healthcare like STNA, Phlebotomy, LPN, RN work.

Rather than paying out welfare why not subsidize these programs for individuals making under a certain income so that they go and learn these skills.
>>
The free market will save Europe! Let billionaires popularise degeneracy for the sake of profit! Open your borders, it will grow the economy!
>>
>>73139014
are you saying processors should be cheaper?

because I assure you 12 nm is a very short distance indeed!
>>
>>73139014
>being this dumb
holy shit this is incredible.

AMD and NVIDIA are at each other's throats in the video card market. If one of them fucks up, the other gets a huge cut of the sales and vice versa. Both of these companies invest tens of millions of dollars into GPU R&D because if they don't they will lose a lot of market share. GPU Computing power has been steadily increasing, and will continue to do so. Simply because a company does something which benefits them more than consumers, does not mean that company has some sort of monopoly or is in any way abusing consumers. There are some things that have to be done for profitability that might harm consumers, but at the end of the day consumers will pay for the product which suits their needs better, and will only buy a graphics card if they feel it is worth more to them than the money theyare parting with

same goes for the cpu market, processing power has been increasing substantially for a very logn time and will continue to do so, and cpu's are getting more and more power efficient. Intel is not entirely, but may in the future be threatened by ARM chips and their incredible power efficiency, but intel has stepped up their own power efficiency substantially in the last few generations for this exact reason
>>
>>73137249
as a(n ex) libertarian this is true

>communism: people are good and generous therefore a state comprised of them that has generous policies can work and will be great

>libertarians: people are ok i guess and mind their own business therefore no one will try to grab power
>>
>>73139252
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_toll_collection

The market will work out a solution. It would be most likely that people would pay some fixed cost for using roads in some given area (their neighborhood) that they use frequently
>>
File: 1460684535693.png (981 KB, 756x1093) Image search: [Google]
1460684535693.png
981 KB, 756x1093
Registered Libertarian, but voting Drumpf.
>>
>>73139461
Additionally, I'd drastically reduce government funding for student loans so that universities actually have to:
1. Make tuitions competitive
2. Set more realistic tuition rates

and also, 3. actually incentivize less people to go to college. Tons of fucking people go to university, more than need to be going. There are hundreds of thousands of students who would be better situated elsewhere and forcing them into academia is a drain on our economy and our finances. Revamp education to a more German style model where vocational training is done; this practice in Germany has resulted in very low youth unemployment.

I also advocate for the freedom to choose school districts and for programs like the DC voucher program which have been proven to improve graduation rates by 25% and cost next to nothing to implement.

These are things I think about when I think of programs to help those in poverty.
>>
>>73139014
In a truly free market, couldn't other companies just make clones of AMD/nvidia gpus and drivers?
>>
>>73139830
I thought you could only vote for your registered party?
>>
>>73140305
Only in primaries (in some states). You can vote for anyone in the general election.
>>
Lolbertarians and Socialcucks are the same tier
>>
>>73139761
no, this is wrong. All Libertarian theory is founded on the fact that people act primarily in self interest.

>>73139461
>Cable companies
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_television_franchise_fee

The Cable Industry is heavily regulated, and local politicians are in the pockets of ISP's, and very infrequently will cities allow new providers to dig cable. Besides, what additional regulation do you propose that would increase competition or prevent the abuse of customers? Competitors like google fiber are already on their way, and expanding quickly for the relative size of an endeavour like this.

In response to the programs you propose, the world owes you nothing. This is why there are low wage jobs, because any untrained individual can quickly learn to do low-skill labor, and sustain themselves while they train or pay for training. The fact of the matter is that while I worked a minimum wage job, I spent a significant portion of my free time learning to write software. That was a long time ago, and today I make 6 figures writing software for a "large corporation". I'm not saying everyone's story will be like mine, but their are thousands of employable skills you can learn online for free. Stop thinking in this "poor them" mindset. Nobody is unlucky. If you work hard and put your ass on the line you will get results. Nobody has the right to my money, and those that don't help themselves don't deserve the help of anyone else.
>>
>>73139884
this is wrong. The problem is not too many people going to university, it's too few low quality universities. The DoE has a deep relationship with the AMA and all other kinds of cartels and intentionally keeps the number of accredited schools low. We don't need to return universities to their former glory we need to deglorify the university institution and accept it for what it is and get the government out of accrediting schools.
>>
>>73140584
ur smart and original opinon, god job educted poltical consumer !!!
>>
>>73141159
>>73141412
Sure, I agree to an extent with both of you. Especially with what role the government has played in fucking shit up in the first place.

When I advocate for the government to be able to direct some (limited) aspects of the market, I don't mean our government as is. I mean one that's much less corrupt and much more under the control of the populace which is simply what we don't have right now.

The political reforms we would need in order to get there is a whole different can of worms...
>>
My explanation for libertarian is that they are so far right they are to the left. >>73137249
>>
>>73141683
a government under populace control will not change a damned thing. When individuals trade consentually, both participants feel they are getting more than what they paid for. When the government regulates or taxes, one person gets fucked, and someone else wins, that's not how the market ought to work. Trade is a WIN-WIN
>>
>>73141683
despite what I said in
>>73141985

don't think I don't mad respek u fello brufa
>>
>>73139669
No you fucking retard.

AMD is in a endless cycle of continuous loss of market share that unless nvidia fucks up big time, they won't get out of. Due to having less marketshare, for each dollar they invest they get less back, meaning they can not invest as much into R&D, which means that their products will not be as good (shitty TDP on recent cards) which will cause them to lose more marketshare.

And the CPU market where intel basically has had no competition for a while since AMD actually gave up for a while is a pretty good indication of why a monopoly negatively impacts technological progress. They sell little tiny incremental upgrades for extreme amounts and as a consequence many people stick with their CPU for quite a while.
>>
>>73135769

Me.
>>
>>73141985
The way I view the free market is that it works like another kind of natural system in that when left uninhibited it will be the most efficient system possible. It works in theory much like how natural selection and evolution work.

I think it is an agnostic force and it is not inherently good or evil (though I think it is far and away the most efficient option, and therefore the best option, for society). But it can be manipulated by individuals if they have enough power and, since I see the (federal) government's main job to protect the rights of the individual, it should then operate only to ensure that the market remains unmolested. Maybe it's a pipe dream but I think it's foolish to think that the market is totally free of the whims of others.

That being said, the government is fucking sloppy at everything and will royally fuck it all up if allowed too much control. Just look at any government intervention, from welfare to rent control to the war on drugs; almost invariably the policy enacted only serves to exacerbate the situation.

To that end, the federal government should be small and efficient, powerful to intervene with a quick surgical strike, but weak enough to obey its populace.

State and local govs are different and should be allowed to be structured however their electorate wants. I see no problem with Cali being a commie wasteland so long as other electorates choose more sensible soultion; to that end, states and smaller govs can serve as organic petri-dishes for new programs and ideas. Those that are strong will spread, those that are weak will go extinct.

Also mad respect to u too, bro. Gotta have different viewpoints and I'm totally open to everything you're saying.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.