[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can any Americans explain to me what a contested convention is?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: tedcruz.jpg (21 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
tedcruz.jpg
21 KB, 600x450
Can any Americans explain to me what a contested convention is?

Would it actually stop Trump from getting elected?
>>
You've got it wrong.

It's a "convent ion" where nuns choose the delegates by precipitating a solid out of solution.
>>
witness the balding rato making his way into his natural habitat
>>
>>72617328
In theory, primary voters vote to select delegates.

Let's say for math convenience, you live in a state called Fagtucky with one million voters and 100 delegates.

On primary day, 600,000 people vote for Trump and 400,000 for Rato. In theory, this means Trump gets 60 delegates and Rato gets 40.

In practice, the only person who ever goes for the job of "delegate" in the first place is the biggest kind of establishment shill, which means they're not going to represent their state by voting Trump no matter how many of the stupid fucking rubes in their constituency did.
>>
>>72617328
It's when the 1% wall street fat cats abuse their power to place their guy into power.
>>
>cuckold tetanus meme

Fucking Guam
>>
>>72617328
If Trump doesn't get enough delegates to win outright before the convention, essentially all the delegates will vote for whoever gives them the most money, which will be rato.
>>
>>72617328
Https://www.google.com
>>
It's when nobody has the required majority of votes to win the primary outright when they hold their convention, allowing them to do some establishment fuckery.

Doing this is basically a nuclear option though. It'ld all but hand the democrats a win in the general.
>>
>>72617820
Also note this is why Bernie Sanders will NEVER be president, not even if every last person in the country voted for him to be.

Hillary Clinton was awarded 700 delegates before voting even began.
>>
If Trump doesn't outright have a majority of the delegates on the first poll when they vote according to the will of the people, they become unbound and get to vote for whoever they want.

The GOP establishment will ensure that that is not Trump if they can help it.
>>
File: 349px-ElectoralCollege1968.svg.png (38 KB, 349x203) Image search: [Google]
349px-ElectoralCollege1968.svg.png
38 KB, 349x203
>>72618029
There's precedent for this. In 1968 the Democrats chose to hand Nixon the presidency rather than accept their own nominee, segregationist George Wallace.
>>
>>72618142
The more I read this post the madder I get. It's like everything everyone has always said about democracy being a pointless diversion is true, the parties wanted niggers so they changed the rules to favor niggers and fuck the majority who rejected it.
>>
>>72617328
You need half the total number of delegates to win a nomination.

A contested convention is when o candidate is elected on first ballot.

A surefire way to prevent this is by having enough delegates legally bound to vote a particular way on the first ballot, something Trump may not do. If he doesn't get enough unbound delegates to make up the difference, there will be a contested convention.

As for whether or not Trump loses because of this, it will depend on who attrition favors once delegate become unbound in successive votes (each vote more delegates are allowed to change their vote to break the deadlock and get someone to 50%)
>>
>>72618443
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Democratic_National_Convention

He was full of shit
>>
>>72618029
>It'ld all but hand the democrats a win in the general.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html
>>
File: 1461728782350.jpg (39 KB, 1000x460) Image search: [Google]
1461728782350.jpg
39 KB, 1000x460
>>72617328
FOOLS DON'T YOU KNOW YOU CAN'T STUMP THE TRUMP?????
>>
>>72618827
>Dat Clinton dip tho
>>
>>72618827
Trump hasn't even begun hammering on Clinton yet. It's going to be a massacre. ¡Yeb! 2.0
>>
>>72617820
>tfw you will never live in fagtucky
>>
>>72617820
Sort of. It's more like one candidate gets 400,000 delegates and 3 other candidates split the remaining 600,000. Since no one actually got 50% of the votes the delegates do a second round of voting.
>>
>>72619577
>Trump hasn't even begun hammering on Clinton yet
Because he's barely managing to beat a far right freshman Senator.

Clinton has decades of experience on Cruz, a substantive electoral advantage, and $2b in projected support
>>
>>72620064
>Because he's barely managing to beat a far right freshman Senator.
What is the delegate count again anon?
>>
>>72617593
This is truely le epic science kek

Well memed sir, well f*&^ing memed 100
>>
>>72617328

If he doesn't win the first round or achieve 1237 delegates from state primaries, a certain amount of delegates are free to make their own decision at the convention.

I'm kinda glad trump didn't even try in Colorado or Idaho because all its revealed is how tucked up the primary system really is.

Or how Ted and Kasich have made an alliance to split the vote three ways and how they're doing this to force a second round.
>>
>>72621717

Oh and Ted virtuous?

He might as well be a democrat with all the backrooms he's been in by now.
>>
>>72621219
Still short of 50% last I checked.
>>
The hand-wringing over a contested convention is a bit of a meme, it would lend a bit more of a sense of "legitimacy" to fucking Trump over if there was one, but ultimately the parties are their own entities that aren't sponsored or controlled by the government and thus can do whatever they want when it comes to their own internal business and could easily just change all their own rules at the drop of a hat to get rid of Trump even if he had 99% of the delegates. This, of course, would virtually guarantee a Republican loss in the general election and possibly kill the party when their own voters don't trust them to actually do what the vote for.

I think that this point the GOPe think handing the presidency over to Hillary for 4 years and then coming back for round 2 in 2020 with a more domesticated candidate is better for them than possibly winning with Trump this time around and they're counting on all the Republican voters to stop their grousing and independent thoughts and come on back to the GOP to vote for whatever good goy they put up just to get rid of Hillary.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.