[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Religious people: Can you describe the feelings that make you believe?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
File: sta02006.jpg (61 KB, 250x396) Image search: [Google]
sta02006.jpg
61 KB, 250x396
Religious people: Can you describe the feelings that make you believe?
>>
I had a spiritual experience where god showed himself as the Eye of Sauron
Might be because I was abusing amphetamine but I'll go with it
Life is easier and more tolerable when you believe in god, even though I know it's logically bullshit
>>
>>72601020
It's the lack of feelings that drives my faith.
No fear, no doubt, no sadness; I know our God is out there and it's really as simple as that.
>>
>>72601020
most christians that i know don't believe because of "muh feels." Feelings are only rather reaffirmations of their faith.

In my brother's case, I think it was after he studied apologetics (quinque viae etc...), did he really start to take Christianity seriously.
>>
>>72601020
Irrational hope is a survival trait. As the saying goes, there are no athiest in foxholes.
>>
>>72601020

If I could then I'd be a best selling author.
>>
>>72601626

how do you study apologetics? , is it not just when a atheist says a checkmate christfag and then you have a proper return for him
>>
>>72602106
well, I suppose a better place to start in apologetics would not be on 4chan. But generally, the idea is to find arguments against what most people doubt in religion.

For a start, I would recommend watching videos of Ravi Zacharias or John Lennox. They provide good starting points in apologetics.
>>
File: licki-licki.png (342 KB, 482x552) Image search: [Google]
licki-licki.png
342 KB, 482x552
>>72601020
>Religious people: Can you describe the feelings that make you believe?

>>>/b/
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>72602750
>>
>>72603330

Putin threads belong to /pol/. Religious feeling threads don't.
>>
>>72601020

i used to be saved and now i am not its the most worse feeling ever.

When you are saved its like you have a new life ,you have done away all things wicked and you dont care about it anymore, you feel free
>>
>>72601020
I know I'm a piece of shit so thinking that there is something remotely better doesn't seem that far fetched to me.
>>
give me blood
>>
>>72601020
Fear of death.
Fear of the collapse of ethics and morality as a valid construct.
Fear of having to look their grandparents in the eye and tell them they'rr not as wise as they think they are.
Among other things.
>>
>>72601673
A lot of people say "there are no atheists in foxholes" as if this is a good argument against atheism. Personally, I find it a much better argument against foxholes.
>>
File: Kierkegaard.jpg (49 KB, 310x459) Image search: [Google]
Kierkegaard.jpg
49 KB, 310x459
>>
>>72604199
You point to a planet without conflict and I'll show you a planet without life.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vBpcSEdcRc
>>
>>72604623
K. What's that got to do with deities?
>>
Ignorance is bliss.
>>
>>72601020
No. Feelings don't make me believe anything. It's a conscience deliberate choice.
>>
>>72604800
Arguing against foxholes is pointless.
>>
>>72601020
Strange things have happened that no rational amount of thought or science could ever explain.
>>
>>72604879
Arguing against skepticism requires evidence.

"Scary things make you stupid" is like saying we should give all the guns to the government.
>>
>>72605051
What you qualify as evidence or not is arbitrary.
>>
>>72605571
Uh... likewise?
>>
>>72601020
God is the nexus of continuity. Everything else is just the observance that following the rules(specifically the bible) leads to success, when coupled with the West's(objectively the best civilization) greatest virtues.
>>
>>72605571
But yeah. I've caught on to your tripfagging approach to debate, and at best you consistently logically demonstrate that everyone, including yourself, is equally retarded.

Not falling
>>
>>72601020
Dispair
>>
>>72605742
You witness what you believe is a leaf falling from a tree. Is that evidence a leaf fell from the tree?
>>
>>72605956
I'm fucking brilliant and logically consistent. You're almost surely not. Being superior is good enough for me.
>>
personal experiences and the thousands of accounts of other people.
>>
>>72606027
See:
>>72605956

Someone else might be intrigued by your apologetics, but I've seen how deep your rabbit hole goes, always with the solipsistic angle.

You're a figment of my imagination, and you're precisely correct. I am God.
>>
File: 1446959201279.jpg (125 KB, 538x563) Image search: [Google]
1446959201279.jpg
125 KB, 538x563
>>72606241
You can believe that all you want.
>>
>>72601020

Fear of the cessation of my existence after physical death is the key motivating emotion behind my embrace of religious doctrine. I guess I'm like everyone else in my parish. Everyone wants to live forever and everyone wants an easy life - heaven is the promise of that. What rational person would decline the chance to partake in that?
>>
>>72606382
Indeed.
>>
>>72601020
Frustrated
>>
>>72604199
>>>72601673
>A lot of people say "there are no atheists in foxholes" as if this is a good argument against atheism. Personally, I find it a much better argument against foxholes.

>implying that was the argument
the argument waa "that irrational hope is a survival trait (in humans)"
do you agree that this is the case or not? if so, then his point stands and is backed by an argument, if not, point out why the argument is flawed. Arguing against a non-argument which was meant as anecdote is retarded.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.