[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ask a guy who programs traffic signals anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (803 KB, 1500x780) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
803 KB, 1500x780
>>
>>72594356
Did you ever fuck up and caused casualties?
>>
>>72594356
What's it like? What language? What's the pay like? Are you happy? Know any tricks?
>>
>>72594407
The more important question would be:

Could you?
>>
>>72594356
What kind of statistical models do you use to develop an ideal traffic flow?
>>
File: mamapepe.jpg (31 KB, 415x230) Image search: [Google]
mamapepe.jpg
31 KB, 415x230
>>72594476
kek
>>
What did you study to get there
>>
>>72594407
I've come close, nothing fatal yet.

I've been connecting them remotely to our central sever and caused a couple to go crazy and show different colours is red and green at the same
Time. No collisions but it was close.

I've fucked up once or twice and programmed them so they stay red and the people waiting never get a green.
>>
>>72594356
>Canadian
What the fuck you doing with the traffic lights in Texas?
>>
Why don't all the lights turn green at the same time any more?
>>
>>72594356
Where do you live?
Can I send you a bill for all of the gas I've wasted when the light turned red and there wasn't any cross traffic coming?
>>
>>72594356
Can you switch them to cause chaos?
If so, post results, please.
>>
>>72594453
I enjoy it, it's government work so I can shit post on Reddit and 4chan for a couple hours a day. Made about 76k last year Canadian which is pretty good imo. No language really it's just called the 332 bi trans program.

Engineering is goat
>>
>>72594476
It'd be tough, the signals are hard wired to not show conflicting signals so I'd have to do some electrical stuff to get around it.
>>
>>72594453
this. Is it true the switches on some traffic lights are just idempotent ones made to make you feel better?
>>
How does it actually work? Are lights on timers, or is there a guy actually controlling them in real time?
>>
>>72594356
do you ever get tempted to add an extra colour in there?

what did you have for breakfast?
>>
>>72594531
Use a program called synchro mostly to come up with coordination plans and timing. Usually someone goes out and collects traffic volumes for a day and we use that
>>
This thread is more properly fit for /o/. But anyways, what is the minimum weight limit on the sensors? I've seen motorcycles take reds after waiting too long. And there's been times where 2 left turn lanes full of cars was red for 3 cycles and a big rig had enough and corralled us to pass through.
>>
>>72594554
I have a diploma in civil engineering l learned most of the stuff on the job tho
>>
>>72594655
I don't know ask your local government
>>
>>72594660
Kek I have a video or two of when the lights started going crazy, maybe I'll try and post them if I get a chance
>>
What is your educational background and how much do you get paid?
>>
>>72594780
In our city all of them work, in other cities tho some are just for show (usually they worked at one point but then the city switched the signal to not use them anymore and just left them)
>>
>>72594787
Lights can be run pre timed or with sensors. Pre timed means it just switches every x amount of seconds. Sensors (ie cameras or loops cut in the ground) detect cars and can extend the signal (for example whenever our signals detect a car they extend the green 4 seconds until a certain amount of time)
>>
>>72594810
No I like my job.

Coffee, some left over fried rice and an apple.
>>
>>72594831
fuck /o/ /pol/ is my senpai

The sensors are magnetic, bikes usually just don't stop in them. If you look at the ground you can usually see the tar from them being sealed or there will be cameras.

Poorer countries just run them pre timed mostly
>>
>>72595070
>Pre timed means it just switches every x amount of seconds
no way! really? it must be be pretty interesting and worthwhile knowing such amazing and interesting facts
>>
>>72594742
>reddit

abandon thread

canadian redditor

abandon thread
>>
File: Dissapointed_bandits.png (367 KB, 802x646) Image search: [Google]
Dissapointed_bandits.png
367 KB, 802x646
>>72594596
>ugly power lines going across the road all over the place

Can confirm this is common in Texas. Fucks up radio reception. Causes issues when these long as fucks lines have to cut across your yard and possibly get damaged by trees..
>>
>>72594939
Nice. My job is analysing blood samples in a hospital. Half of it is writing reports for doctors and nurses. The other half is looking down a microscope. I try to spot stuff before it gets serious. It's boring but pays well. It's an hour's drive from my home and I hate driving.
>>
>>72594356
If I use my high beams from a distance when a light is red, will that get me a green light faster?
>>
>>72594356
I know that if you flash your high beams at a empty light at night the light changes to green. Are there any other tricks like this?
>>
>>72594742
>>72594742
>bi
>Trans

Oy vey they even got the traffic lights.
>>
>>72596029
>>72595217
>>72594356
>>72594596
Texas is really fucking horrible about timing all the lights so you hit them yellow. It didn't used to be this way.

Now there are many major intersections where there is a small street before that you will always hit red if the major intersection is green. Then it gives arrows to everyone to eat up as much time as possible. Then the major intersection turns green and your light turns green just in time to see the next light turn yellow.

With the influx of new people in Dallas it's fucking insane.
>>
>>72594742
>Reddit
>b..b..but we has a colony n sheit
>still Reddit

GTFO
>>
>>72596649
cause of the oil companies
they have a hand in it, making the idle times of vehicles longer which massively increases oil usage which drives up revenue

there was an article released on this but it was removed, which there was an article of that article, which then was removed.
>>
>>72594356
Do police have a little black box on their dashboard that can change lights if they so choose?
>>
>>72596226
I've tried flashing full beam on red lights. It doesn't work. And I don't want to jump a red light, because my wife is policewoman. They'll nick you for that. The worst traffic lights are when workmen are digging up the road to lay pipes or whatever. Very frustrating.
>>
>ask

I'm going to tell you to stop making the entire light change for people in a right turn lane you asshole.
>>
Are satisfied with this job? Do you feel like your life is complete?
>>
What do those buttons at crossing do? The ones that pedestrians need to push if they wanna cross?

They sure as fuck don't make the light go green fast, is it to keep a look on where and when most pedestrians cross the street?
>>
File: 20160501_030057.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160501_030057.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>72596923
>>
>>72596882
>It doesn't work.

It works in democracies, not your police state dystopia
>>
>>72596882
Maybe it is just a thing that happens in my city or state (CO) or the US. I had video proof of me driving during real nigger hours testing it out on my old laptop.
>>
>>72596882
It only work for the temp ones used mainly for roadworks.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>72597979
>>72594356
UK traffic signal engineer here
>>
>>72598286on holiday in Serbia to be clear
>>
>>72598286
>>72594356
you fucks are all over the place shit posting.
>>
>>72594356
Traffic lights are racist
>>
Tell me about the role of traffic lights in ordering the traffic flow.
>>
>>72596804
Nice troll

I do think it is two factors:

1) phony studies saying this reduces accidents (actually I've seen people getting crazier lately as is bound to happen with increased congestion

2) toll roads - the more general congestion the more people on toll roads and need for expanded toll roads
>>
>>72598286
Is it true that you guys use the speed limit to calculate the amount of time needed for the yellow light to change to red. Given average deacceleration? I was pretty sure, doing this would give people driving the speed limit enough time to either pass through without running the red light or enough room to slow down for the red light.
>>
my dad in the early 2000's had a horrific accident on a green light, both sides went on and he was going high speed, so a guy went head on into him, you people are stupid at programming
>>
File: index.jpg (7 KB, 190x266) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
7 KB, 190x266
>>72594356
Hi, I have a question for you. WHAT THE FUCK? COME ON! I'VE BEEN WAITING HERE FOR FIVE FUCKING MINUTES ALREADY! THE OTHER WAY ALREADY GOT TO GO TWICE. FUUUUUCCCCCKKKKK
>>
>>72598899
It's the other way around. Traffic flows order traffic signals. There's a method of control called
MOVA which is adaptive to flow times.

Sometimes when junctions are close together its good to have them linked together and work with flow times to allow progression/greenwave during peaks.

See - Linked MOVA, cable less linking facility
>>
>>72599156
Not a physically possibly. All lights are hard wired in. If a controller sees a conflict they turn off. Not calling your father a lier but ....
>>
>>72594562
>72594562
haha i had that happen to me once. that's funny. i was sitting there and it just wouldn't change.
>>
>>72599907
meh he was drunk all the time.
>>
>>72599525
I get that the phases are adjusted to the traffic load, but isn't the red light supposed to send packages of cars together which regulates the relative speed?
>>
You guys fucking suck, end of story. So, basically your plan is "bumper to bumper constantly, with a an interval of 5-7 seconds to make a left into traffic before the next overwhelmingly massive traffic flow follows?"...PLUS with that "I just waited two full minutes at a light, then I have to wait another two minutes at a light 30 feet ahead, and then another red light 30 feet ahead again....FUCK OFF ALREADY

I would be willing to wait longer on side streets with more forward progress on main drags, as well as having less traffic lights per yard. Nigga just let me get to where I have to be, already! And that feel when you know the light timer but some asshole fuck is turning left and another stupid motherfucker slows down just enough in the right lane so he can go but YOU catch the light...

As for me, I drive with "us" in mind--let's GTFO motherfuckers...expediency. I let people in, I fall back, I speed up, I remain alert...you don't need to come to a complete stop to turn right into a drive, nor do you have to turn left on a major strip and hold everyone up (break right, turn around and then go straight). Some people have trouble--fine, recognize yourself and sway right--yeah, the right hand lane is the slow lane...

God this felt good...
>>
>>72594655
Increased cross traffic could be the reason. You can have waves of green if you give enough red to the other conflicting directions which only works for so long.
>>
>>72600057
Correct, junctions send vehicles packages for the next one to deal with. If the distances is to great or to many sides roads it's not effftive. When they're linked you see the differences.

Drivers are the one that can only effect the speed - not the the signals
>>
>>72600483
I'm off to church, happy Easter
HRISTOS VASKRSE
>>
>>72600177
>end of story
>proceeds to write three paragraphs
>>
>>72596649
Thats why everyone runs red lights in san antonio and houston. Plus those yelliw lughts just cause all the cars to pile up in the intersection at rush hour. When you get green you cant go anywhere because the cars are lined up bumper to bumper in the intersections.

If anyone lets somebody out of a parking entrance, forget it, the light is going to be red for everyone behind mr nice driver. And some beaner is going to park across 3 lanes to make a left turn.
>>
>>72594356
Wait, I'm confused. So, do you sit there and program everything as it happens?
>>
wow this is actually an interesting job. you say you studied for civil engineering, for how long did you stay in school?

is it a hard job aswell?
>>
>>72594831
Light sensors work on induction. There is a loop of wire under the road that has current passing through it at a particular frequency. When a large mass of steel sits near/in the loop sensors attached detect the feedback made by the eddy currents induced in the steel.

Motorcycles often don't have enough steel in them to set off the sensor threshold. Also, if you are on a bike and the loop is in a figure 8 (two rectangles next to each other usually) park in the middle where the two rectangles share an edge, that is where it is most sensitive.

If you are stopping in the correct place and still not being detected it is likely the sensor is broken.
>>
>>72599188
.....and the most important question asked of OP remains unanswered
>>
>>72594356
Does it pay well?
>>
Sounds like a nice job.
>>
File: right-on-red-camera.jpg (65 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
right-on-red-camera.jpg
65 KB, 1280x720
>>72594356
Can I blame you for this kike fuckery?
>>
>>72594356
How does it feel knowing that you'll eventually be replaced by adaptive control signals?

>t. Urban planner
>>
Why do some cities just seem to leave them at default settings and not bother programming them at all?
>>
File: traffic-detect-camera.jpg (38 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
traffic-detect-camera.jpg
38 KB, 640x360
>>72601241
>>72595070
Do they even bother with new induction loop setups anymore?
>>
>>72594356
why is it always red when i approach a traffic signal?
>>
>>72594356

If you work in Ottawa tell me where you live so I can sodomize and murder you.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.