[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Prisoners Voting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 2A48485BOBZBKVZBV844896Q11.png (40 KB, 975x437) Image search: [Google]
2A48485BOBZBKVZBV844896Q11.png
40 KB, 975x437
Should former prisoners have the right to vote?

I think so. Once you're out of prison, you need to have as few barriers to getting employed and whatever as possible, so you can get back into society. I even think it should be acceptable for prisoners to lie to their prospective employers at job interviews. They should be able to say they've worked something like a minimum wage job for the past however many years they've actually been serving in jail. Obviously they shouldn't be able to go as far as saying they've former their own multimillion £ companies and whatever, but that's a detail.

>This week the governor of Virginia, Terry McAuliffe, restored the right to vote to over 200,000 people in Virginia who had permanently lost the right to vote because they had once been convicted of a felony. The issue of voting rights for ex-convicts is a contentious one, with state laws varying hugely on the issue. While two northeastern states, Maine and Vermont, allow people who are currently in prison to vote, in ten other states, such as Florida, former convicts risk permanently losing their right to vote.
Trust New England to go full cuck. I don't think actual current prisoners should have a vote.
>>
>>72529898
Dependingon severity of crime and how much of a repeat offender you are, your vote should only be worth 0-99% to that of a normal person
>>
>>72529898
If you don't follow the law, then the law shouldn't protect you. If you can't behave in a civilized society then you should have no part in that societies future.
>>
I really think it should be part of the sentence. Why can't a Judge take the time to rule that?

>ok you get 25 years in prison, and permanently lose your right to vote
>you get 6 months, and you can vote after you get out

those 2 should be the only options though, I can't see the justification of letting prisoners vote while they're in prison.
>>
Yes, once a person has served a sentence, that person should be completely free. If the person "can't be trusted with X or trusted to not do Y", the person should not be let out of prison in the first place.
>>
>>72529898
One of the New England states actually allows convicts currently serving time in a penitentiary to vote.

None of the states in New England are inferior economically or environmentally to any of the states which do not allow universal suffrage of criminals, so based on the classically liberal democratic principle of maximum enfranchisement wherever there are negligible detrimental consequences, I say give the vote to everyone, as long as they are a citizen, regardless of what they have been convicted of.
>>
>>72529898

>There are people who actually are in favor of letting inmates vote

Lmao. How fucking insane is that? I get why you would have a discussion between permanently losing your right to vote or regaining it once you complete your sentence, but being able to vote while you're in prison??? Who the fuck thinks like that?
>>
They should be able to vote once they are released imo, but definitely not while in prison.
>>
>>72530211
>>72530020
Prison is the punishment. Once they've done their time, they need to be made full citizens again, unless you want to increase their chances of reoffending.
>>
>>72530228
Good point.
>>
>>72531032
Of course democrats want it, since most of them are black.
>>
>>72531032
I know.
The prison vote in a country like the USA might actually be enough to swing an election, too, lel. Whoever panders the most to prisoners.
>>
>>72531314
>>72531236
>>72531032
Lol are you faggots willfully ignoring what I said in this post?
>>72530518
I guarantee the state you live in fails in every metric when compared with the states of New England.
>>
>>72530228
>I can't see the justification of letting prisoners vote while they're in prison.

Because doing something "bad" doesn't suddenly disqualify you from existing within your community. You should always have the right to shape how the future looks.

And there's even justifications for it like laws that are unjust (like drug laws) that get you sent to prison in the first place.
>>
>>72531838

>Arrest a few thousand illegal immigrants
>They can vote for the party that panders to illegal immigrants

It's not rocket science. I don't imagine there are many illegal Greenlanders crossing your border...
>>
>>72531032

>>72532320
>>
Once you have completed your sentence you have paid off your debt to society and you should be free to reregister

However you should not be able to vote while serving time for a felony
>>
>>72532355
>illegal immigrants
>citizens

pick one Bilal. Unlike your adoptive homeland somalian boat people cannot vote in american elections, even if they manage to evade prison long enough to reach the nearest election day.

Natural born american citizens should have the right to vote even if they are in prison. Voting where you are not otherwise eligible should not be made a 'prison privilege' lmao
>>
7 in 10 convicted felons voted for the Democrat party.

The Democrat party is are the ones trying to lessen sentences, of even the most brutal violent hardened criminals.

So to answer your question, no.

But I could go along with the exception of an ex con having a conviction with drugs, with no violent history, having their voting rights restored.
>>
File: ayy.png (29 KB, 134x166) Image search: [Google]
ayy.png
29 KB, 134x166
>>72529898
Do you want breivik to vote?
>>
>>72533017

Yes.
>>
>>72532990

>no i'm not going to let others vote because they're not going to vote for my party

Maybe if Republicans supported a 'reintegration back into society' path felons might vote for them too.

But noo that would make us look soft on crime, best just take away their rights.
>>
>>72529898
Once they are in jail they should have the same rights as foreigners, women, non property owners, and welfare recipients; none.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.