[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Americans are going broke chasing the American Dream
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2
File: Young Educated & Unemployed.jpg (237 KB, 1103x750) Image search: [Google]
Young Educated & Unemployed.jpg
237 KB, 1103x750
Red pill me on this issue.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/were-going-broke-chasing-the-american-dream-2016-04-27?mod=MethodeStories&link=sfmw_tw

It's weird.
>>
>>72347968
Dumb kids take out 10s of thousand of dollars in loans, get a worthless liberal arts degree, and then bitch when they are unemployable due to having no skills or useful education.
>>
>>72348159
You didn't actually read the article.
>>
>>72347968
The guy basically says the dream is over and people need to lower their standards. It's like Carter's Crisis speech.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/03/health/death-rates-rising-for-middle-aged-white-americans-study-finds.html?_r=0

Shit's getting scary.
>>
People get loan to buy car.
>>
File: Black Friday USA.jpg (201 KB, 962x672) Image search: [Google]
Black Friday USA.jpg
201 KB, 962x672
>>72348520
>“It is difficult to find modern settings with survival losses of this magnitude,”

Jesus Christ. Thanks for sharing.
>>
When you conflate the American Dream with material excess, coupled with a more competitive labor market, tighter credit, etc. you're going to have problems. The issue has become ''well, my parents had XYZ so why can't I?'' That's looking at it the wrong way. Yes, material goods are important, but there is more to a high standard of living that just stuff.
>>
>>72349652
So what's the ''end game''? 10 years from now.
>>
>>72347968
>I'm a writer
>my wife was a "film executive"
>boomers

Fuck them.
>>
>>72347968
Lol who cares, how about instead of protesting like an entitled millennial who ate up gram-gram and shabadoo's lies about post secondary, they better themselves by reading a book, learning a new skill, or shit even working out. Pathetic.
>>
>educated
>Non-STEM degree
Pick one
>>
>>72349652
Plus they forget that their parents didn't have those things till they were older. You cannot expect to get out of college, get a job and expect to have a ton of money, you need alto save and be smart and not buy every new iPhone that comes out.
>>
The real problem is that 20 somethings go broke trying to emulate the life style of their parents. The only difference is their parents spent decades to achieve that life style.
>>
>>72351907
I have yet to meet a STEM grad who can form a coherent thought, let alone speak in complete sentences.
>>
>>72352308
lovin ur edges
>>
>>72352360
Here we see the code monkey in its natural habitat. Observe its angry demeanor and lower intelligence.
>>
>>72350243
There is no "end game" to consumerism. It makes a very few incredibly wealthy, and after the money is condensed into the hands of those very very few, they cash out and leave the market they just killed.
>>
>>72352774
Ok friend, carry on
>>
>1. He chose to be a writer, not the most stable profession.
Dumbass

>2. He chose to write books, which don’t produce income for years.
Dumbass

>3. He chose to live in high-cost New York City.
Dumbass

>4. He chose to have two children, whom he sent to private school early on and then to Stanford and Emory for college.
Dumbass

>5. His wife quit her job as a film executive to spend more time with the kids when they moved to eastern Long Island.
Dumbass

So the article is basically, dumbass makes dumbass decisions and lives beyond his means then wonders where it all went wrong.
>>
>>72347968
>It’s really, really hard to tell your daughter you can’t afford to send her to Stanford and instead she’ll have to go to Stony Brook (an excellent state university in eastern Long Island, where Gabler now teaches). It’s hard to say “no” to so many things and still think you’re living the Dream.

Fuck this Baby Boomer asshole and fuck his spoiled daughter. How fucking pretentious.
>>
>>72353601
At least he got a wife and 2 kids at some point.
>>
>>72347968
>chasing dreams

>not chasing reality
>>
>>72347968
The US government and various establishments in collision with it, give students loans for bad / imaginary / worthless degrees.

Most students do not think "oh, I will take out 100,000 in student loans to get this worthless degree".

They have no guidance or restrictions from the loaning entity about how the money is spent, and therefor they are free to make very bad decisions with that money.

The way money is loaned out to students needs a significant overhaul.

No one would loan you 100,000 dollars to buy a 10,000 dollar car.

It is a racket like the housing bubble, it will be interesting to see what happens when this bubble pops.
>>
>>72352308
>>72352774

This. They're just autistic spergs who overfocus in one thing.

They're oblivious to everything else around them.
>>
I was thinking about killing some people because of my situation. That would create some jobs wouldn't it. It would be fun too! Maybe hit washington of the Philly Federal Reserve! Yea fuck the cunts! Death to America, give a me a job or deal with my insanity!?!
>>
>>72347968
>educated
with all that education it managed to misspell "indoctrinated"
>>
>>72354454
How about murder! Sweet, I think I want to eat people two!!!!hahahahahhah ha ha ah hahahhahahahahahauah
>>
>>72354454
debtors are not your fucking babysitters. spend it responsibly or get fucked.
>>
>>72353972
Yoouuuuuu can escape reality but you cant escape the reality Of reality!!!!!! Hahhahahsh
>>
>>72347968
>Is a successful writer
>Is able to support a wife and two kids on writing alone
>In New York
>Put his kids through private school
>Can't quite pay to send kids through Stanford
>Instead 'settles' for the university he now teaches at and laments his 'financial quagmire'
>Argues that people should be more modest in their life expectations

Am I missing something here? Or can this guy fuck himself with a bag of spiked dildos?

Like, there is a problem with the American Dream... but by the sound of the article he's been living it.
>>
>>72354890
Or kil them and have fun!Weeeeeeeeeeee fuck everything PARTY ITS THE END T THE WORLD . FUCK u TOO BTW GIVE ME YOUR ADDRESS SO WE can PLAY TOGETHER!!!!
>>
America going broke? that's never gonna happen, if the dollar collapses every country in the world will go broke.
>>
>>72354890
It is the responsibility of any institution to loan people money with discretion or risk never seeing that money back.

The problem is, those loans are backed by US tax dollars.

So very little discretion is used, similar to the US housing bubble.

You sound like Bernard Madoff.
>>
>>72352308
I can kill you! How's that for a thought!
>>
>>72354945
>is living the american dream
>cannot produce $400 in an emergency
ahahaha. struggling through life is not the american dream you fucking retard. the american dream is to be well to do.
>>
>>72354890

these loans are handed out like candy to irreponsible 17 year olds who dont know what they are signing.

keep licking those boots faggot, you couldnt make it any clearer that you're a baby bitch who still suckles at mommy's teats.

for the record, i have zero student debt, i'm just not a dipshit.
>>
>>72355155
sound like him as I may, fact of the matter is retards are getting loans that they absolutely cannot pay back. their fault. get fucked idiots.

lol i HAVE to go to college! And I absolutely need a 10,000 sqft home! with seven kids and a money leech whore...I mean wife! xDD

No, shut the fuck up and get some sense. You don't need to be smart, I don't give a fuck if you're white blue irish german black straight from uganda whatever. Just get some fucking sense.
>>
>>72355266
aww wittle 17 y/o can't read words! too bad. get fucked kid. maybe instead of jacking off and getting high throughout your best years you could've spent JUST A LITTLE BIT of time to read the fucking document that you put your pen to.

it's especially unforgivable now that we have fucking Google. fuck you faggots, get fucked all of you.
>>
>>72349652
housing is more expensive, jobs pay less.

You do the math.
>>
>>72355190
Oh no, maybe he should cut back on some expenses for a bit then? Y'know, until he has his shit in order?

Or does the American Dream also entail never having to endure hard times ever?
>>
Educated in WHAT????

It's simple, provide value for the company you apply for. Your menstrual pancakes degree does not a profit make.
>>
>>72355635
yes, that's exactly what he should do. but he isn't living the dream. he's struggling, even if he is struggling on purpose. if he were doing all that he did but had money in the bank, then he'd be living the Dream™.
>>
>>72355514

are you illiterate? i literally said "for the record, i have no student debt".

i'm a married landowner kiddo. try again, and stay in school you teenie bopping faggot.
>>
>>72347968
>poor financial planning
>poor financial decisions

At least he owns up to these, sort of.

>It’s really, really hard to tell your daughter you can’t afford to send her to Stanford and instead she’ll have to go to Stony Brook (an excellent state university in eastern Long Island, where Gabler now teaches). It’s hard to say “no” to so many things and still think you’re living the Dream.

This is the fundamental problem. "The Dream" was never about having every new gadget or "keeping up with the Joneses". Those are cultural pressures established by Corporations.

The American Dream has always been about having the opportunity and the freedom to live the life you would like to live, to pursue to the activities you would like to pursue, to worship what or who you want to worship, and to have your voice heard by your government.

The idea that everyone has to be successful is new and untrue. People make poor choices. People fail. The American Dream just gives you the opportunity to try again.

Opportunity does not equal guaranteed success.
>>
>>72355717
>if he were doing all that he did but had money in the bank, then he'd be living the Dream™
Then it really is a myth, "the Dream™" wasn't supposed to come with guarantees of an easy life.

But if that's "the Dream™" now, he should feel satisfied with the fact he actually got to live it for decades before falling on some hard times. That's a pretty good run.
>>
>>72347968

It's not weird. This is the expected outcome of capitalism. Wealth tends to concentrate.

It happens in every capitalistic environment including Bitcoin.
>>
>>72355740
I wasn't taking about YOU you illiterate fucking monkey. I was clearly talking about the 17yos and the other debtees that are fucking retarded.
>>
>>72356050
but you're talking about the American Dream (TM), not the American Dream™.

Big difference. Today, it's all about security. Hundreds of years ago, it was about freedom.
>>
>>72357252
>Today, it's all about security. Hundreds of years ago, it was about freedom.
Great.

So... semi-famous writer doesn't plan for his or his wife's security and now has to scrape by instead of living in luxury after living it up for decades?

Cool story I guess. To his credit he said he didn't expect sympathy.

It's funny, I'm usually on board with articles arguing that "the Dream" or some variant of it is dead or flawed... but this is literally a story of one man who made a few poor decisions but is probably gonna squeak by a'ight anyhow.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.