[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How good was american armour compare to japanese and european armours?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 251
Thread images: 57
File: 78.png (679 KB, 760x589) Image search: [Google]
78.png
679 KB, 760x589
How good was american armour compare to japanese and european armours?
>>
it was better
>>
File: Did someone say Deus Vult?.jpg (175 KB, 700x598) Image search: [Google]
Did someone say Deus Vult?.jpg
175 KB, 700x598
>>72271246
European armor and weapons were superior to Jap armor in almost every way, shape, and form. Stronger, covered more of the body, felt lighter, and lasted longer. The swords were made of steel a good thousand years ahead of the techniques used to make katanas (the Celts were doing the same thing in 700 bc). Anyone telling you otherwise is weeb trash that takes anime and WWII fish stories about Jap swords too seriously.
>>
>>72271508
>rereads question
fuck. Americans never used any sort of heavy armor like that
>>
>>72271508
>did someone say deus vult.jpg
>posts 14th century central european armour
kys
>>
We never used armor because melee combat was already long dead by the time America was founded
>>
How is this pol related
>>
>>72271508
Most of Japan's armour was shit because of their shit iron deposits.
>>
File: 1414735559791.jpg (15 KB, 392x243) Image search: [Google]
1414735559791.jpg
15 KB, 392x243
loincloths
>>
File: 53256500.jpg (682 KB, 1024x684) Image search: [Google]
53256500.jpg
682 KB, 1024x684
>>72271658
I didn't make the picture
>>
File: 120727-abrams-js-11a.jpg (138 KB, 1000x598) Image search: [Google]
120727-abrams-js-11a.jpg
138 KB, 1000x598
it's pretty gud
>>
>>72271884
Fuck, beat me to it
>>
>>72271508
Best post in /pol/ right now. As an historian Im glad to see people that knows this kind of things.
>>
Japanese armor was folded over a thousand times
>>
>>72271246
>american armour
Nigga what.
>>
We were fashionable as heck.
>>
>>72272094
I know this is a meme but the vikings knew a better way of doing this, their steel was the best until the spanish steel became "famous".
>>
Spanish did in fact defeat japanese samurai pirates in the Philippines in the 16th century.
If we weren't so retarded and poor we would've make some cool movie about it.
>>
File: original.gif (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
original.gif
2 MB, 640x360
Glorious nippon steel folded over 6 billion times, cut plane wing like Katana
>>
>>72272094
Vikings made the best swords a really long time ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6woycxQzA0

Too bad they're all cucks now.
>>
>>>/his/
>>
>>72272284
The vikings? More like the kike-kings. I just searched on wikipedia and their steel was not folded at all.
A katana which was folded a measly two hundred times could easily slice unfolded steel.
>>
File: faggot.jpg (584 KB, 620x877) Image search: [Google]
faggot.jpg
584 KB, 620x877
>>72271788
but you named it
>>
>>72272094
The late Iron Age "barbarian" tribes were doing that thousands of years before, and the vikings perfected it. The Europeans already were producing high carbon steel when the japs were just starting to make decent swords

>>72272540
History and politics are interchangeable. History is just politics from another time

>>72272592
At first I thought you were baiting, now I'm sure you have actual autism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLWzH_1eZsc
>>
>>72272592
I'm fucking tired of vikiboos.
>>
>>72272093
>as a historian

yet you can't read. the question was ARMOR, not swords.

Japanese armor and European armor (any armor, really) both developed according to what weapons each were expected to face.

Each fulfilled their role superbly. Which is "superior" is retarded. European armor went through more distinct changes so if you actually wanted a comparison OP needed to be more specific.
>>
>>72271246
>implying klunky slow euro armor could compete with Japan swords folded one million times
This isn't even a question anon
>>
>>72272864
>One million times
>>
>>72272864
>Folded 6 million times in the ovens of those concentration forges
>>
>>72272745
Seriously go to the wikipedia page, press ctrl + f then type in folded. There are zero results.
Anyway.. I'm not sure that you understand what folding is. Folding steel once practically doubles its core strength, folding it twice requires twice and much effort and doubles the already doubled strength, bringing it to a total of four times the original strength.

Now imagine the strength, effort, and time it takes to fold a katana over a thousand times. That's why REAL katanas are so strong. Don't even try to compare a store-bought "katana" to an actual sword, let alone the real thing.
>>
>>72271246
>American armour
Nicelly done m8, a bit like the ancient greek gambesons but recreations have proved to be effective enough to stop XVI century crossbow bolts. Not so good at stopping musket bullets tho.

IMO, both Japanase and European armour were good at stopping the threaths they were designed to counter, those being lance stabs and mace strikes in Europe, and arrows and blade slashes in Japan. Tho I must say that if you took soldiers from both cultures and put them to battle each other, the european would probably win, mostly because of the sheer resistance of his armor.
>>
File: 1459130306083.jpg (114 KB, 690x717) Image search: [Google]
1459130306083.jpg
114 KB, 690x717
Although Japanese armour wasn't the best in terms of defense it was good for their fighting style and environment. Basically their armour was suited for fast paced actions as well as travelling over the terrains they'd encounter. Of course European armour would blow the fuck out of any Japanese armour, but then would European armour be as good in the environments? I dont know because its never been tested but still mangs, dont go posting the "I HATE WEEB" comments everytime someone wants a answer on Japan vs European stuff. If anything at least most people can agree that their armour looks cool as fuck most of the time.
>>
>>72271246
Nonexistent. The USA was founded at a time when armor had already been irrelevant for well over a century. We have always valued mobility and firepower over shielding.
>>
>>72271246
that subtle bait
>>
>>72271246
Japanese armor was mostly leather because they didn't have enough iron. Same reason they were forced to fold the sword to make use of small quantities and poor quality metal, while Europeans had tons of resources.
>>
>>72273198
>but then would European armour be as good in the environments?
You can do cartwheels in full plate armor. European armor was very flexible.
>>
File: deusvultcomputer.jpg (34 KB, 455x661) Image search: [Google]
deusvultcomputer.jpg
34 KB, 455x661
>>72273166
Probably because folding the metal has a name

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattern_welding#Pattern_welding_in_Europe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58NVoTocUOk
>>
>>72271246
is this one of those "dumb polack" jokes in shitpost format?
>>
>>72273428
We were thousands of years ahead of Japan.
>>
>>72273349
Oh? Well excuse me my man. Still though, maybe it wouldn't be as good in the environments? But as I said its never been tested so its hard to judge.
>>
>>72271884
as someone who sexually identifies as an Abrams Tank let me warn you that, while the gal in your picture is mildly attractive... I can ASSURE you that her treads have seen some SERIOUS millage! Lube her up at your own risk!
>>
Haven't watched yet but...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2jTwxpZ4pg
>>
>>72273428
Welding is not the same thing as folding, you have to actually fold the steel for it to be folded. Also, you're posting videos of katanas which were made in factories. THEY ARE TOYS
The best swordsmiths in Japan would only produce three to four katanas in their entire lifetime, which would fetch enough money to build an entire castle.
>>
>>72272772
Lol faggot weeb detected, you absolutely can say some armor is objectively superior to others. A European knight would've crushed any dumb Samurai any fucking day. Especially once Full plate was invented, the Japs had no weapons that could deal with that, nor was their armor that great considering half of it was fuckin leather
>>
>>72273257
>What is the american continent?
>What is america before the US?
America =/= USA
>>
>>72273166
the reason they have to fold it that many times is because their metal deposits were shit

the average steel sword from Europe could probably snap an old Katana no problem
>>
>>72271658
The last crusade happened in 1444, you retard.
>>
>>72273992
>the average steel sword from Europe could probably snap an old Katana no problem
>could probably

I'm not even going to argue with you if you have no fucking clue what you are talking about. I don't give a shit if you think it 'could probably' happen; I ALREADY KNOW IT WOULD NOT HAPPEN.
Stick to facts or get the fuck out
>>
>>72274018
You can hardly call the fourth one a real crusade though
It fucked Byzantium beyond recover
>>
>>72273879
>What is context?
Dumb cuckold.
>>
>>72273879
lol how did you get past the captcha?
>>
>People falling for bait
>>
>>72271753
Most of Japan's armor was laquered leather, not iron. The iron cuirass came much later, due to European influence.
>>
>>72271246
> American
> armor
> implying our nation was even around at that time

You okay, Poland?
>>
>>72272592
Folding isn't for strength, it's for resiliency. A heavily folded weapon had spring, which makes it less likely to shatter because it bounces.
However, it makes it no more likely to cut. An edge is an edge, and the force behind it is speed and weight.
>>
File: Yellow Fever.png (105 KB, 422x946) Image search: [Google]
Yellow Fever.png
105 KB, 422x946
>>72273760
"No trust me, the magical secret order of katana makers were actually making metal lightsabers and there's no evidence for this outside of anime but it's true and I swear I don't have yellow fever!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF1JV1eTZVw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnkVlK3BFLw
>>
>>72274712
I don't know if you're fucking retarded or you have just ignored everything I have said in this thread.
A katana folded, for example, fifty times would have the strength of fifty swords.

I know that the vikings used to fold their steel but they did not have techniques as good as the ones Japan had.
A strong steel sword folded two or three times can't come close to the strength of a weak steel sword which was folded over one hundred thousand times.

>>72274936
Do you have any more youtube videos you want to show me or are you going to actually argue for yourself.
>>
>>72274619

You mean the United States.

America is a continent , not a country.
>>
>>72275065
>"Stop using evidence!"
>>
By the time America got heavily colonized by Europeans (assuming you mean Americans of the sort now not native Americans) armor like that was on the way out.

Plate armor isn't good versus musket fire.
>>
>>72275126
>"Stop using faggy youtube videos"
I know this is how you sanders fags like to argue by linking buzzfeed bullshit, but please try to keep that to your shitty old man fetish.
>>
>>72274231
>I ALREADY KNOW IT WOULD NOT HAPPEN
>>
>>72272592
>I just searched on wikipedia and their steel was not folded at all.

Vikings not only folded but twisted the steel. I dont know the correct word in English but they kinda perfected the technique. And as the other anon said, celts were masters with the steel too.
>>
>>72275480
I have seen this posted a lot and I'd really like to know what steel is used on that katana and the longsword and what kind they are. The katana has a pretty thick blade.
>>
>>72271508
>>72272093

I'm not even sure the Japanese had siege technology on the same level as even the Romans.

In order to make it a fair fight, we'd have to pit 1300s Japan vs 34AD Rome.

Even then, I think the Romans would wreck them mercilessly.
>>
>>72275480
THAT. IS. NOT. A. KATANA
The factory produced bullshit you faggots call "katanas" are NOT the same thing that the samurai made in ancient Japan.

>>72275632
>Vikings not only folded but twisted the steel.
That's an inferior technique
>>
>>72275111

There is no continent called "America," you insufferable faggot.

There is no other country with "America" in its name, either.

When somebody anywhere says "America" it is immediately understood as the United States of America.

Gas yourself.
>>
>>72275632
Pattern welding I believe
>>
File: Weaboo Jap Apologists.jpg (133 KB, 682x820) Image search: [Google]
Weaboo Jap Apologists.jpg
133 KB, 682x820
>>72275262
>Videos that cite sources aren't good enough, but Jewkipedia is

Here you go faggot. Lordles Samurai getting rekt by based Spaniards
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1582_Cagayan_battles
>>
>>72271246

It's spelled *armor
>>
>>72275643
The problem is that people relates a japanese warrior with a mystical samurai with a katana folder over 9000 times, when the most used weapons were the bow(mounted atchery) and the spear.
>>
>>72275731
>The factory produced bullshit you faggots call "katanas" are NOT the same thing that the samurai made in ancient Japan.

I have a one and a half hander laying around in my attic I bought for around 200 bucks, if you can manage to get your hands on a katana that's made in ancient Japan by samurai I'd be willing to let it get chopped in half by your glorious nippon steel folded 6 gazillion times :^)
>>
>>72275731
>inferior technique
Kek.
>>
>>72274242
That...wasn't the Fourth Crusade he was talking about?

You know there are crusades after that one, right?
>>
>>72275480

eh, I'm not convinced this is even a moderately accurate test.
I really don't care.
Obviously over time on a battle field the long sword MIGHT last longer, but the only way to find out would be battle, though it would probably dull faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPQ1W3qobys
>>
>>72275913
>pirate battles
Pirates were poor and had shitty unfolded katanas

>>72276037
As if someone who had an actual ancient katana would risk scratching its metal on your shitty European toy.

>folded 6 gazillion times
They were folded three to four million times at most.
>>
>>72274231
Dude your meme samurai swords are shit, Japanese soldiers would never have even been able to dent through a fucking full plate armored Knight you retarded weeb fuck
>>
>>72274619
http://www.armoryoftheamericas.com/ichca-huipil/
South America definitely had armor, though it was more padding.
Native tribes also often used bone armor, and sometimes even plates covering their heart. Also shields were definitely common.
The main reason for a lack of armor development was due to agricultural limitations. The West only really developed it's armor as they developed stable cities with agriculture and supply lines developed, I.e. trade. Combine that with a nee d to defend territory, and voila.
Native Americans were far later to the agricultural game, and the land was so vast and so sparcely populated that centralized fortifications made very little sense until the time of the Aztecs and incans.
And they had a lot of resources in architecture, not warfare.
>>
>>72276023

Exactly. The swords were mostly sidearms and dueling weapons used by the samurai on other samurai, or peasants when there was no war.

>>72276037

The folded steel thing is simplistic, though. They were actually made from strips of steel of different hardness hammered into one block then hammered some more into a sword shape.

Depending on the design, and the skill of the smith, it may be a passable weapon, or a useless piece of junk.
>>
>>72276023
I remember reading this on bow deaths

Not convinced that it was mainly mounted archery though.

For the citation regarding use in war it's from Budo Perspectives, ed. Alexander Bennett; Chapter 7 - Budo as a Concept: An analysis of budo's characteristics. Irie Kohei.

This work cites the following japanese publication (Suzuki Masaya. banana no kubitori: Sengoku kassen isetsu {Swords and head taking: Another view of Sengoku period battles). Heibonsha, 2000.

"According to Suzuki Masaya, in battles from the mid-fourteenth to the mid-fifteenth centuries out of 554 examples, the percentage of casualties caused by arrows was 86%, sword cuts 8.3%, rocks 2.7%, spears and stab woounds 1.1%. From the mid-fifteenth to the mid-sixteenth centuries 1461 examples are analyzed with arrow wounds at 41.3%, guns 19.6%, spears and stab wounds 17.9%, rocks 10.3%, and 3% for swords."

Sorry for the copy pasta
>>
>>72276386
>I saw it on youtube so it must be true
>>
>>72275065
That's not how folded metal works.
It's not some dbz powerup shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (97 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97 KB, 500x500
>>72276487
Do you honestly think a katana can cut through hardened steel plate armor?
>>
>>72276418

That's about right with arrows

Look up European battle casualties; arrows inflicted the majority.
>>
>>72276517
Yes it does. More metal = stronger

>>72276600
Well of course not all katanas could do it. Only the expensive katanas which went for hundreds of millions of dollars (worth in japanese money), folded hundreds of thousands of times with the blade sharpened to near perfect sharpness.
>>
>>72276309
>risk scratching its metal on your shitty European toy

If it can scratch your nippon steel then it can't be that shitty :^)
>>
>>72276487

He's right, though.

Though, it's not the fault of the katana. Most swords couldn't handle plate, except perhaps an estoc.

Spears with long spikes, were the weapon against armor.
>>
>>72276418

I wonder what his methods were. Seems a bit suspicious that arrows would be so high. Did he just count all the skeletons with no broken bones or cut marks on them as "arrow death?"
>>
>>72276808
It's still just steel dude it's not going to fucking happen no matter how sharp. Steel also has a physical limit on how sharp it can be like with anything.
>>
>>72271246
>>72275262
>>72275480
>>72275632
>>72275639
>>72275643
Fuck all that vs shit
> The Japs had a system of conflict resolution
> The Europeans had a system of conflict resolution.
"honor" "chivalry" "legendary blacksmiths" all of this was just an excuse for an economy, something to do to keep their minds off the nothingness, the oppression of drudgery.
> It's the living, killing, dying that is the important part.
> not the outcome.
>>
>>72276913
The bottom earlier figure sounds more conservative for sure but I don't know. I haven't read the source material.
>>
>>72276810
The steel was very low quality. The outer layer of the katana could easily be scratched.
You would have to be dumb to think that you could get through all of the layers.
>>
Lets face facts. This sword here is superior to the katana. Several times these two swords have fight and never the katana has cut one of these sword and some weaboo would suggest. Btw the portuguese fought the samurai too
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1582_Cagayan_battles
>>
File: ESPADAS_ROPERAS.jpg (742 KB, 1977x2016) Image search: [Google]
ESPADAS_ROPERAS.jpg
742 KB, 1977x2016
>>72277071
Sheeit the pic
>>
>>72277071
Not surprised a spic is defending spic swords. Big deal, you killed a bunch of "japanese" pirates
>>
>>72275913
>iFunny
>>
>>72276309
Pirate battles led by Samurai
>>
File: Khanda.jpg (28 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Khanda.jpg
28 KB, 500x375
Fuck your shit, no one beats the Zweihander or the Poo's Khanda.
>>
>>72276915

Also

>thinking sharpness of steel matters when it cuts other metals

When's the last time you had to sharpen your can opener?
>>
>>72277066
Those start to sound like petty excuses. Why don't you post some evidence for the greatness of nippon swords against shitty European ones? :^)
>>
>>72276808
What the hell are you talking about?
More metal doesn't mean stronger.
Do you even know what folding metal IS?
Folding a katana is to a) help push out impurities in the metal and b) to allow different densities at different parts of the blade so that it reacts in a way conducive with swordplay.
Its not some sort of metal compression in order to fit more metal into a smaller space.
>>
>>72277183
>Then the Japanese decided to attack by land with 600 soldiers. The trench endured that first assault, followed by another. As some pikes were seized by the Japanese Spanish sebum put the wood to make it more slippery and be more difficult to grasp. After a third attack, which almost came in the trenches, and with little gunpowder, the 30 Spanish soldiers were able to resist and defeat the enemy, and then attacked him, causing the enemy to flee. The Spanish then took the Japanese weapons that were left on the battlefield as trophies, which included beautiful katana and armor.
>>
File: Flambergue.jpg (44 KB, 1800x511) Image search: [Google]
Flambergue.jpg
44 KB, 1800x511
>>72277291
>>72277066
>>72277183
Katanas a shit you weeb.

Prove me wrong.
>protip: you can't
>>
File: KofunCuirass3.jpg (224 KB, 334x496) Image search: [Google]
KofunCuirass3.jpg
224 KB, 334x496
>>72274463
They used iron armor in the 5th century even you dumbass.
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 400x300
>>72271508
Yeah, all the autists say katana are so good, but they were really shit beyond that. Basically, the japs made a decent sword and said "let's use this forever, and not change it."

Even then, Katanas were mostly good for unarmored opponents, which is shit on a battle field compared to a nice European broadsword. Their bows also looked kind of retarded.

10/10, good for killing peasants with.
>>
>>72277311
Yeah true, and also the katanas shape is definitely not designed for thrusting through armor either, forget about cutting.
>>
>>72277384
Fancy sword for the most mediocre mercenaries in europe.
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 800x331) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 800x331
>>72276808
>Well of course not all katanas could do it. Only the expensive katanas which went for hundreds of millions of dollars (worth in japanese money), folded hundreds of thousands of times with the blade sharpened to near perfect sharpness.
Fucking kek, this has to be trolling
>>
File: tlingit-armor2.jpg (66 KB, 467x650) Image search: [Google]
tlingit-armor2.jpg
66 KB, 467x650
It existed

It was generally made of wood and bone, with cold-forged copper or iron lumps among some northern peoples.

Later on the Tlingit made some quite sophisticated maille out of copper circlets. Though by this point everyone was using guns.
>>
>>72277279
by PIRATE samurai. They were not the real thing

>>72277314
There were so many extra layers and metal folded onto the ancient katana, the mass was greater than that of a black hole. You're fucking retarded at this point if you think your toy could match the ancient katana.

>>72277330
c
>>72277372
u
>>72277384
c
>>72277499
k
>>
>>72277330
My question is why their metal work is so shitty they have impurities in their iron. And don't give me the "le shitty ore" meme, the whole purpose of transforming ore into iron is taking out the impurities
>>
>>72277291

Who are the Poo?
>>
>>72272678
What a massive faggot.
>>
>>72271246

This belongs on >>>/k/
>>
>>72271246
Japan had superior swords.
>>
>>72272678
Nice loli
>>
File: Hon_iyozane_maru_dou_1.jpg (1 MB, 2736x3648) Image search: [Google]
Hon_iyozane_maru_dou_1.jpg
1 MB, 2736x3648
>>72277391
And most samurai armor was made using iron scales.
>>
>>72277391
That was mostly a holdover of their Korean roots.
I'm talking uniquely Japanese armor.
>>
>>72277532
You're being way too obvious
>>
File: caithness-1.jpg (22 KB, 146x622) Image search: [Google]
caithness-1.jpg
22 KB, 146x622
>>72277183
>Shilling for Jap animals
>Calling anyone else a shill for other races
Fuck off
>>
>>72271508
This. Better metal and smithing techniques = better weapons and armor.
>>
>>72277680
He's a spic. He is biased towards his own shitty "weapons"
>>
>>72277532
Btw not only the rapier is superior but the Verdadera Destreza as technique was better than the "muh meditation before cutting tatami"
>>
File: DE_STROYED_ASS.gif (485 KB, 254x190) Image search: [Google]
DE_STROYED_ASS.gif
485 KB, 254x190
>>72277498
Maybe but pretty effective, Donia was a fucking badass with a Zweihander.

>>72277532
>cuck
>from the yellow fever faggot who keeps on sucking the japs 1-inch dick
>>
>>72271246
>American armor

sage this shit already and go back to /b/...
>>
>>72275643
It's hilarious because it's true. The Japanese were so fucking behind on LITERALLY EVERYTHING that the entirety of their "culture" and "technology" was directly stolen from China.
>>
>>72277757
The fuck

>>72277782
>>cuck
>from the yellow fever faggot who keeps on sucking the japs 1-inch dick

Great argument achmed. You have to be 18 to browse this website
>>
>>72277612

US cavalry sabers were just as good
>>
File: 1386632145.jpg (10 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1386632145.jpg
10 KB, 400x225
>>72271246
>he believes in the katana meme
>>
File: Katar_Gun.jpg (46 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
Katar_Gun.jpg
46 KB, 700x525
>>72277581
Indians.

They also made these daggers/"claws" which were actually pretty handy on hand-to-hand combat.
>>
>>72277534
The ORE had impurities.
>>
>>72277754
So that means you're a 5 foot tall, baby-killing microdicked ricenigger?
>>
Here's a disassembled cuirass from Alaska, made out of Walrus ivory.

The hotspots for American armor seem to be the Pacific Coast and Mexico.
>>
File: Nerigawa_hon_kozane_maru_dou.jpg (4 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
Nerigawa_hon_kozane_maru_dou.jpg
4 MB, 3648x2736
>>72277660
>armor native to Japan isn't Japanese

Burger logic.

Well, here's an "uniquely Japanese armor" then. It's made mostly of iron scales and leather to hold them together.
>>
File: autism_levels.jpg (30 KB, 514x536) Image search: [Google]
autism_levels.jpg
30 KB, 514x536
>>72277895
>implying I'm not over 18
>implying you are
M8.
>>
>>72277612
Not really, European steel was much better than Jap steel.
>>
Wasn't Nobunaga a westaboo and loved western stuff like euro armor?
>>
>>72271555

Pacific Northwest Indians had full plate made of wood.
>>
>>72278061
Here's a Shasta example, made of textile rods bound together with gut and leather straps.
>>
>>72278033
I'm a proud American. I don't know what you're getting at or why you are so fucking cucked into oblivion. Learn to follow the argument

>>72278096
>M8
Another quality argument
>>
>>72278225
Here's another breastplate from Alaska, this one I think is made of whalebone.
>>
>>72277754
There is a reason the rapier was adopted in the whole europe bro. But ok I can tell you another sword better than the shittana and also asian. The chinese Dao was not only more beautiful but it was much more efective, usefull and had better steel.
>>
>>72276487
you literally can't prove me wrong so you resort to greentext faggotry

go play with your fucking memesword you bought at the mall fedoralord
>>
>>72277904
Et on lui pelera le jonc comme au bail du Limousin
>>
>>72278118

Ya the whole reason they had to fold it a thousand times was because the iron was so impure.

Norse didn't have that issue
>>
>>72277071
>Btw the portuguese fought the samurai too
what? i thought they were peaceful, since japanese people still use portuguese words and words that came from portuguese
>>
>>72278082
That pic clearly states it's leather scales (nerigawa hon kozane)
>>
>>72272093
>as a historian

What era(s) do you specialize in? Are you a teacher or some other field of research? What are some other major misconceptions?
>>
>>72278347
This one is an elk skin vest worn with a wooden helmet. More typically the Tlingit would wear a full wooden cuirass, like Anon said here >>72278220
>>
>>72278353
I can't wait until Trump builds the wall so I don't have the displeasure of listening to what you shit colored "mexicans" have to say ever again. Go take a hike, kike.

>>72278356
You started it. Anyway, as I've said before, the factory produced "katanas" are a disgrace. I would be embarrassed to own one of those.
>>
>>72271246
Different armor for different reasons.

You act like the Japanese couldn't forge steel.
>>
>>72278548
>being this butthurt
Face reallity, katanas are cool only in your chinese cartoon.
>>
>>72278506
Aleut armor, made of wooden rods. You get more or less the same amount of protection as big wooden plates like the Tlingit used but this is much lighter
>>
>>72278739
no hablo spic
>>
>>72277962
those are called punch daggers iirc
>>
File: Karuta_tatami_dou_3.jpg (1 MB, 2736x3648) Image search: [Google]
Karuta_tatami_dou_3.jpg
1 MB, 2736x3648
>>72278463
I dunno, they look like iron to me, specially the bottom parts. This other one that I posted is iron though: >>72277656 I took it off this wiki article about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_armour
>>
I don't know why, but katana debate is great. There are always few butthurt Eurocentric retards underestimating katana.
>>
>>72278847
Most Japanese armor wasn't iron though.
It's just fact.
Mostly they didn't have the resources for it.
>>
>>72278799
konichiwa naruto san katana very shit sempaitachi origato desu
>>
File: image.jpg (554 KB, 2000x1312) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
554 KB, 2000x1312
>American armor
I mean it can usually stop 7.62 and it's variants so I'd say its pretty gud
>>
>>72278979
Katana is like the rapier. Versatile and well designed.
But not meant for brute force, so ineffective against heavy armor.
>>
>>72271508
>comparing a whole continent to one tiny island which only has access to pig iron
If you wanna be fair you should include other asian countries. And what time period are we talking about anyway? Japanese armor might not have stood up to plate armor, but it didn't need to stand up to plate armor. By the time Europe started poking Japan it was all about Gunboats anyway.
>>
>>72278786
Here's that Tlingit armor I mentioned earlier. An elk leather vest coated with copper coins they got from trade with the Chinese
>>
>>72278979
>Eurocentric
Here you have a better saber than the katana.

Deal with it, katana a shit.
>>
>>72278979
I don't think many here are underestimating anything. I even posted the statistics on warfare deaths in Japan.

I wouldn't want to fight with the katana versus a European sword simply because there is no cross guard, just the disc guard.
>>
>>72278979
It's a pendulum-reaction to japan-loving craze about 10 years ago.
>>
>>72279359
They could if the tank was not moving.
>>
>>72278990
But they didn't only use leather armor. That's a meme.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_armour#Construction

>Japanese armour was generally constructed from many small iron (tetsu) and/or leather (nerigawa) scales (kozane) and/or plates (ita-mono), connected to each other by rivets and macramé cords (odoshi) made from leather and/or braided silk, and/or chain armour (kusari)
>>
File: 1307123570654.jpg (20 KB, 432x288) Image search: [Google]
1307123570654.jpg
20 KB, 432x288
>>72271246
>american armour
>>
File: 3084203952_b5b4c688e9_b.jpg (417 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
3084203952_b5b4c688e9_b.jpg
417 KB, 768x1024
The sort of armor the Tlingit would have worn

Notice they use thick wooden planks, while most other natives used woven together rods

Anyone looking at these? I'd keep posting anyway but I have an essay to write
>>
File: 1435472359020.gif (2 MB, 255x186) Image search: [Google]
1435472359020.gif
2 MB, 255x186
>>72277962

>group of Indians literally named Poo
>>
>>72279444
there are no better sabres than polish sabres, katanas suck
>>
>>72279749
can they cut through tanks?
>>
>>72279783
yes.
see ww II
>>
>>72279675
These are interesting, keep it up.

I wonder how Native culture would look today if they had somehow staved off the Europeans?
>>
>>72279872
Considering the fuckers didn't do anything the entire time they had all of the land they'd probably be like most of Africa today.
>>
>>72279783
They cut through tanks as good as they cut through a band of filthy convicts building a country :^)
>>
>>72279620
I never said that.
I said most.
And the one piece iron cuirass didn't come along until they opened up trade with.. The Dutch, I think.
>>
>>72279675
More Tlingit stuff
>>
>>72280009
Probably.

But there would be a few jems in the dirt, right? A few native clans would have modernized efficiently, right? Just imagining some big prosperous native culture city gets my alternative history kick going.
>>
>>72275809
>american education
referring to the Korea as korea is bad too right?
>>
>>72280282
There is only one Korea, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

Filthy imperialist pig.
>>
>>72280280
I am doubtful. Could make for an interesting story maybe but I just don't think they would have done much of anything.
>>
>>72280280
Like tenochtitlan?
>>
>>72280279
I think this is Aleut, another example of the wooden roods stuff.
>>
>>72280501
Forgot pic
>>
File: american-holocaust.jpg (51 KB, 620x330) Image search: [Google]
american-holocaust.jpg
51 KB, 620x330
>>72271246
>american armour
well american armour was not that good because they got rekt by the Euromasters
>>
>>72280405
I am doubtful as well, but it's fun to fantasize about.

>>72280413
I mean more of a modern city that has it's roots entirely in Native government. Just seeing how Tenochtitlan would have evolved if it wasn't raised would be interesting in and of itself.
>>
>>72271393
The only correct answer from an American.
>>
>>72280542
Collection of Tlingit stuff

Interesting thing about their helmets is that they usually came in two parts. The collar protects your jaw, and the top part protects your head, sometimes they're quite separate and other times they totally incase the head apart from a narrow slit for the eyes.
>>
File: God Emperor.jpg (134 KB, 381x500) Image search: [Google]
God Emperor.jpg
134 KB, 381x500
>>72273007
>Folded 6 million times in the ovens of those concentration forges

just envisioned an entire saga based on this line
>>
>>72280912
does it include jew spirits thirsting for vengence controlling the sword wielder?
>>
File: image.png (365 KB, 578x572) Image search: [Google]
image.png
365 KB, 578x572
>>72271508
>but muh folded steel desu
No I agree the katana meme needs to end
>>
File: ichcahuilpilli.jpg (15 KB, 327x405) Image search: [Google]
ichcahuilpilli.jpg
15 KB, 327x405
Looks pretty comfy.
>>
>>72276418
historical circle jerking aside where does one come up with those numbers? surely 1400s japan wasn't that pained with recording keeping?
>>
>>72275632
Celts were far superior with metallurgy than vikings. The vikings were nigger tier compared to the Celts.
Plus the Celts didn't twist their swords. They used a platting/braiding technique
>>
>>72282204
*record keeping, fuck
>>
File: Columbia.jpg (586 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Columbia.jpg
586 KB, 600x600
>>72271246
Everything American and/or European > Everything Japanese

if you disagree you should stop typing and get back to working Ahmed's shaft
>>
>>72282204
Maybe they did? I may Google and try reading the source for that pasta here in a bit, haven't read it yet.
>>
>>72282254

This is truth. Celts were prolific steel workers, and sword smiths. The Gladius and the traditional Celtic sword saw 450+ years of use. That's a lot of time for -one- weapon design to stick around and still be effective.
>>
>>72282320
america and europe are accepting tons of refugees. japan didnt even accept 100 and refuses to accept any more even though obama threatens to have the imf down grade them again

despite the fact they wont be defaulting on any debt unlike america in 5 years and they are more than whiling to shut down all traffic to and from japan again
>>
>>72277452
Plus Japan didn't have that many deposits of Iron and coal to make good quality swords so what they did have was either shit or highly rare.

Also, bamboo armor.
>>
>>72271884
European tanks are better and Jap tanks are European tanks with jap engines.
>>
Why would you ask /pol/ this question?
>>
>>72273349
To be fair in desert environments wee boo armor is probably better, that being said, fuck the desert.
>>
>>72283772
lol, you have no idea how hard it is to stand in full sun in a fucking tin can, you get slowly cooked to death and it gets heavier every second i swear to god.
>>
File: 1451016525990.jpg (139 KB, 736x981) Image search: [Google]
1451016525990.jpg
139 KB, 736x981
>>72275992
finns know whats what
>>
>>72284211
I want her to suck on my gogo squeeze
>>
>>72284211
I would do ilegal things with this minor
>>
File: 1407360125965.jpg (131 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
1407360125965.jpg
131 KB, 612x612
>>72275731
>>72275639
The dude who made the katana is the best sword smith in germany. He is one of the half dozen or so people who makes katanas good enough that they are allowed to be exported INTO Japan.
Say what you want about germans being cucks or whatever but their steel work is serious business.
The test was repeated with agerman longsword which cracked the sword strapped to the table. German steel making as literary a millenium ahead of the japanese, japan used techniques a thousand years abandoned in europe.
Also
>That's an inferior technique
That is an outright lie you weeaboo. Ghost was right, people like you need to go into labor camps.
>>
>>72275065
A catalyst they used to improve the steel in viking times in Scandinavia made their steel way better than shitty nippon steel.
>>
>America
>Medieval

what?
>>
>>72284803
>being this defensive

I'm not a retarded katanaboo I was questioning how steel would fucking bend that drastically considering the katanas blade is actually pretty thick.
>>
>>72271884
kek
>>
Its not fair comparison really. Japan was closed off from the rest of the world while central europe was not. Its like comparing Zimbabwe technology to the middle east.
>>
>>72277612
Not in any way what so ever
>>
>>72276309
This is what weebs actually belive
>>
>>72285273
It was mostly the katanaboo I was aiming at.
The katana is pretty thick but it lacks the ability to bend. Smack two pieces of steel together and they will deform. The european sword has a much higher ability to spring back while the katana stays deformed.
It's an inherent flaw in the katana and the fact that one of the best sword smiths in the world couldn't rectify it is pretty telling that katanas are somewhat shit outside slicing peasants.
>>
>>72285273
Its because it wasn't well heat treated in the middle and the transfer of energy to the weaker part made it bend like that. Don't matter how thick the blade is, if its weak it will fucking bend.
>>
>>72275111
You need to go back Pablo
>>
Aight here is what I don't get:

Japanese used tons of bows...

And were too stupid to invent shields???
>>
>>72286258
Same here. I don't get it. You would also think with all the bamboo some time or another someone would've made a light bamboo shield.
>>
>>72286258

The Japanese had a history of fighting three different cultures throughout most of their history, and only fought them a handful of times.

None of these groups had shields at the time, and the Japanese aren't known for their inventiveness.
>>
>>72286387
medieval japan were a secluded rural rice paddy fishing people I don't know what the fuck people expect from them.
>>
File: Jap shields.png (322 KB, 485x269) Image search: [Google]
Jap shields.png
322 KB, 485x269
>>72286360
>>72286258
>>72286387
They did use shields but they where mostly static ones to protect archers.
>>
Spanish steel from toledo is better than jap steel for swrods.
>>
File: 4AnZtHf.gif (2 MB, 396x224) Image search: [Google]
4AnZtHf.gif
2 MB, 396x224
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDkoj932YFo
>>
File: meso.gif (20 KB, 250x197) Image search: [Google]
meso.gif
20 KB, 250x197
>>72286258

Even weirder that Mesoamericans used wheels in toys but didnt use wheels for carts
>>
File: 41052065IMG_1698.jpg (61 KB, 453x680) Image search: [Google]
41052065IMG_1698.jpg
61 KB, 453x680
>>72287132
There where also infantry shields but they where abandoned sometime after the 800s for reasons unknown.
Someone probably thought shields was dishonorable or the armor became good enough to reliably defeat arrows defeating the need to carry the shield.
>>
>>72271246
>american armor
>in the 1700s
>with guns
>>
>American armour
What, like tanks and ballistic vests? Yes it outclasses medieval European and feudal Japanese armours. Another quality Polan thread
>>
>>72271246
By the time of the colonies armor was largely a moot point. Guns rendered it obsolete. Hence the rise of sabers. Like the polish and russo styles. People stopped wearing armor so sabers became popular particularly among cavalry.
>>
File: mp003626.jpg (2 MB, 1874x3000) Image search: [Google]
mp003626.jpg
2 MB, 1874x3000
The real question OP, is if it's better than AUSTRALIAN armour?
>>
File: codex_tribute.jpg (119 KB, 677x588) Image search: [Google]
codex_tribute.jpg
119 KB, 677x588
>>72271246
>Not fighting in pajamas
>>
>>72287851
Abrams are such a piece of shit I'm sure a 15th century English knight would give it a good go
>>
>>72279494
Autistic as fuck.
>>
>>72287644
Based on my research (shogun total war) armor was totally not good enough
>>
>>72271246
Shit.

They didnt worked with steel
>>
>>72287363
Terrible video. Shit quality longsword makes it look like a brutish weapon when in reality it was one of the lighter swords of that era.
>>
>>72280259
by that time plate armor was becoming obsolete with advent of matchlock muskets.
>>
>>72271246
>american armour
Animal hides the natives draped over their bodies?
>>
>>72271697
Why didn't they wear armor to protect against rifles?
>>
>>72287470
>didnt use wheels for carts
who was going to pull them??
>>
>>72289925
Some cavalry still did. For most people being able to run fast and long was more important. Heavy armor like above was used for jousting... In war they wore half plate, frequently removed visors etc. You run out of wind the bad dudes can stab you at their leisure, and battles could go all day.
>>
>>72275480
>>72275639
>>72275731
>>72276264
Seriously how is anyone arguing that the Katana would last in a such a competition?

I'm fairly weeb myself but even I know the katana isn't the sword for this sort of comparison They were designed for slashing flesh, not clashing with steel.

Simply put, the katana was a revolutionary weapon in a land where iron and steel was rare, hence the leather armor, whereas europe had just better materials and honestly more competition that pushed for greater weapon development.

Honestly it makes me ashamed to be a weeb with all these idiots in denial of logic and facts.
>>
>>72288097
Ned Kelly was based, it was shitty how he went out.
>>
>>72271697
Natives were here, though I don't think they perfected the utilization of protective wear to the extent of Eurasian cultures.
>>
Japan historically had a very low supply of iron on the mainland, its why their swords were so thin and their armor mostly wood or other metals. I'd take Euro armor any day but at least they tried.
>>
>>72271246
>american armor
are you referring to south america?
Thread replies: 251
Thread images: 57

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.