[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Non degenerate atheist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1
File: AntonioSebastiandeToledo.jpg (41 KB, 480x641) Image search: [Google]
AntonioSebastiandeToledo.jpg
41 KB, 480x641
Hi /pol/. I tried a lot of times, but I'm unable to believe in God. I'm an agnostic atheist, which means that I can't believe in God because for me there is no proofs; however I can't confirm the non-existence of him.

However, I know how important Christianism is for our western society. I understand how vital is Catholicism for Spain for example, and how beautiful are our culture and tradition. That's why I like to participate in Christian festivities for example.

Is there anybody in /pol/ who thinks like me?

>Pic not related

>tl;dr: I'm atheist but I embrace Christian culture and tradition.
>>
>>72260246
bump
>>
>>72260246

Just believe it senpai. the case for Christianity is better than any other religion's case. something weird happened to Jesus, every historian at least says that.
>>
>>72260246
Well not strictly the same, I've been described by others as the most religious atheist they know.
>>
>>72260246
Same. But I don't dismiss the possibility of god outright. If he were to exist it is my belief that he functioned only as the prime mover of creation and isn't intimate in the lives of men.
>>
>>72260246
Good for you for not being a loud mouthed ignorant asshole about it. I don't think it matters too much as long as you have good character; you cannot force someone to truly believe. We all are different in this way and I am sure the Lord understands.
>>
>>72260246
niggers
>>
>>72260246
nigger
>>
>>72260246
As a fellow European I understand the historical richness and wealth Christianity gave us all. It's our identity. I don't personally believe it in religious terms, but I consider it a part of us and will do everything in my power to preserve it.
>>
>>72260246

I don't believe in God either but I do very much appreciate what Christianity has done for Western culture and the values promoted by Christianity (unity, family, safeguarding your honor, hatred of faggots etc) and as a historical counterweight to Judaism and Islam.

I'm not religious at all - I just can't bring myself to believe, but I wouldn't mind living in a conservative Christian society, provided that the degeneracy that often flourishes in religious communities does not gain foothold.
>>
If you keep studying you will find the proof.
However i respect you for at least realizing the importance of Christianity
>>
>>72260246
are you familiar with Pascal's wager
>>
Why are you unable to believe Anon?

Lack of proof? Look at it as such, everything that is, and ever will be is proof of a Higher Being. God is not some dude in the clouds looking at people below, he is the creator, and all things cannot be without him.
>>
>>72260246
Learn about Hermeticism and Perrenialism, read Guenon and Evola, Realize that all religion reaches God as Being, but that you have a duty to the religion of your people, which is the mixture of Paganism, Greek philosophy, and Christianity, Catholicism (or orthodox if you are slavbro/greekbro)
>>
>>72260689

Historians can't even agree with the existence of Jesus.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Evidence_for_the_historical_existence_of_Jesus_Christ
>>
>>72260246
You're just an agnostic. Almost nobody uses the set of definitions you're using.
>>
>>72261577
It's a stupid wager, because ofc God would be able to see through it and condemn the person as the atheist that he really is
>>
>>72261595
Is this bait?
>>
>>72260246
Religion is a fascinating tool. A system of how to just live your life, and what concepts to guide you. No doubt it is a result of our expanding sentience and consciousness, a hallmark of civilization.

Yet it is the very thing that has hindered human progress for thousands of years, the very thing that causes massacres of civilians to this day, the very thing that causes distrust and suspicion among neighbors who should be working together to achieve a common goal.

I like the Buddhist system in that it's not as much a religion, a set of ways to live your life as it is a philosophy. That should be the future of religion. I am for the preservation of religion because I believe everyone is entitled to believe whatever they want, but not everyone believes as fervently as others, and that is the problem. And to say "well humans aren't perfect but christianity/islam/judaism is, it shouldn't be held responsible" is wrong. Religions aren't perfect. And the sooner people realize this, the sooner fanaticism is drawn out and replaced with moderation, the closer we can get to the idealistic picture painted by Star Trek of a humanity united.
>>
>>72260246
I also simply could not believe in God, yet recognize religion's importance to a healthy society.

You aren't alone.
>>
>>72262097
No its not Greeceanon
>>
>>72261752

No credible historian questions his existence. Not since the early 1900s anyway. Stupid burger
>>
>>72260246
>Is there anybody in /pol/ who thinks like me?
Close enough on most points to say yes. The points I disagree are just semantics on agnosticism and therefore not too pertinent.

It's a shame that most theological threads end in a shitfest though, /pol/ doesn't seem to be too open to people who don't believe.
>>
>>72260689
>Just believe it
Fuck off. You can believe in your sky fair whilst I don't.
>>
>>72261577
It's not a very good argument to believe in god because it assumes that only the christian religion is the true religion. Extend the wager to all other religion and you'll see that believing for the sake of believing isn't a valid argument.
>>
>>72262872
Then you present a shit argument.
>>
>>72260246
You dont need spiritual belief to acknowledge the benefits of religious belief on the family unit and society.

As long as you dont make arguments that it's real, required or necessary, you should be able to get on with other atheists (rational people) just fine.
>>
>>72261595
>everything that is, and ever will be is proof of a Higher Being
How is it proof of a higher being?
>>
>>72260246
>>72261892
OP you are an atheist; people are going to argue about the semantics but in reality you are a true atheist, such as myself. A "theist" is someone with a belief. An "a-theist" is someone "without belief." A lot of atheists incorrectly qualify themselves as atheists because the "don't believe in god." but there is a difference between "not having a belief" and "believing there is no god." the former being a true atheist and the latter being someone with a belief. Agnostic means "without knowledge" and can get confusing because they think/believe that no one will ever know about religious "truths." but they also can get weird to the extent that "we don't know we are really here" ie Decartes evil genius theory and extrapolate that further that even scientific explanations lack a certain fundamental truth that nobody knows.

In short you are a true athiest. You dont have a stance one way or another but think there are truths about the world (im assuming) such as scientific truths like gravity, and that you and me are literally and realisticly here typing on computers.

as for your deeper question: all religions fundamentally are about morals and ethics and being good people. all the fucksticks arguing over specifics fuck all that up. i celabrate catholic traditions too. Christmas (but i celebrate the spirit of giving aka a universal ideology) and easter (i celebrate new life aka rejuvination or rebirths). in fact i think my stance on religion has me more focused on the literal meaning of the holidays in the first place while others are celebrating jesus's birth or rising from the dead and missing the point.
>>
>>72260246
slightly different situation.
I'm Buddhist and still participate in all Christian events because I don't mind them, it's good fun and keeps me social with the family and friends.
Don't listen to atheists that tell you to ignore everything christian and debate them all. Just live your life and let them live theirs, no need to shove anything down anyone's throat.
>>
>>72260246
>Is there anybody in /pol/ who thinks like me?

I might be similar.

I realized when I was a kid that I had no ability to feel the sensation that they call "spirituality".

I've read the dictionary definition of the word "spirituality", but I can't relate to it at all, and it has no meaning for me.

My conclusion is that I might have some kind of reduced brain functionality that prevents me from feeling that particular sensation or feeling or emotion or whatever it is.

As for as belief in a god (or gods) -- The fact that I have no ability to perceive "spirituality" also means that I have zero interest in the idea of god or religion.

I'm not even an "atheist". I'm a complete nothing. I simply don't even care enough to either ask or answer the question about whether some god/gods exist.

I also don't care about any of the inter-atheist debates, like for example the difference between atheism and agnosticism. I understand the distinction, but I just don't care about it, and I don't have any interest in labeling myself or others with those words.

I couldn't even say that I really understand much what "belief" means. For example, I don't "believe" in gravity -- I simply accept the huge amount of evidence that gravity exists -- but saying that I "believe" in gravity implies that I had some kind of choice in the matter, which I didn't. So I haven't found anything that I "believe" in at all. (That might even be related to the possibly reduced brain functionality that prevents me from understanding what "spirituality" is.)

My limitations don't make me feel "deficient" at all. I perceive that I'm living a perfectly full life, even though I'm completely missing these various sensations/feelings/whatever that other people seem to have.
>>
>>72260246
>I'm unable to believe in God
So does that mean you don't believe in the Abrahamic God?
>>
>>72264057
Can't speak for him but that would be a correct assessment of my beliefs. I don't believe in any of the gods from any religion.
>>
Dear people who believe in God,

Prove to me that any one of the old gods doesn't exist, let's take Apollo for instance. Prove to me that Apollo doesn't exist and I'll use your method to prove you wrong. See we are more alike that different, you believe in one God I don't and we both don't believe in thousands of other gods :^).
>>
>>72264020
i fall into this situation as well
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.