[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Disciplinary Spanking Increases Childhood Defiance and Mental
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 11
File: Baby.jpg (293 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
Baby.jpg
293 KB, 2560x1600
Spanking children increases the likelihood of childhood defiance and long-term mental issues. The study in question involved 160,000 children and five decades of research
http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/1113413810/spanking-defiance-health-discipline-042616/

“We found that spanking was associated with unintended detrimental outcomes and was not associated with more immediate or long-term compliance, which are parents' intended outcomes when they discipline their children.”

In fact, Elizabeth Gershoff and co-author Andrew Grogan-Kaylor, an associate professor at the University of Michigan School of Social Work, found that the more frequently that children are spanked, the higher the risk that those kids will start to defy their parents, become aggressive, experience mental health issues, exhibit anti-social behaviors, and/or develop cognitive difficulties.

Negative outcomes of spanking comparable to child abuse
As part of their meta-analysis, Gershoff and Grogan-Kaylor looked at the association between spanking (defined for their study as an open-handed smack of a child’s bottom or extremities) and 17 potential detrimental outcomes. They found a significant link between the punishment and 13 of the 17 outcomes, suggesting that spanking ends up doing more harm than good.

Children who were spanked were also more likely to use physical punishment with their own children, demonstrating how attitudes regarding such disciplinary methods tend to be passed from one generation to the next. Furthermore, they noted that spanking was associated with the same adverse outcomes in children as physical abuse, and both
>>
File: Vindicated.jpg (32 KB, 750x400) Image search: [Google]
Vindicated.jpg
32 KB, 750x400
Stefan Molyneux Vindicated
>>
It means nothing, kids learning to defy their parents and becoming a bit agressive is a good thing. If parents do it with low frequency it will even be good for them.
>>
>>72134136

>I did not even read the conclusions of the study

Thanks for your genius analysis brazil
>>
>>72133353
Whatever... this is simply more assholes manipulating data to see what they want to see.
>>
File: Vindicated.gif (1 MB, 804x512) Image search: [Google]
Vindicated.gif
1 MB, 804x512
J Senpai Psychol. 2016 Apr 7.

Spanking and Child Outcomes: Old Controversies and New Meta-Analyses.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27055181

Gershoff ET, Grogan-Kaylor A.

Abstract

Whether spanking is helpful or harmful to children continues to be the source of considerable debate among both researchers and the public. This article addresses 2 persistent issues, namely whether effect sizes for spanking are distinct from those for physical abuse, and whether effect sizes for spanking are robust to study design differences. Meta-analyses focused specifically on spanking were conducted on a total of 111 unique effect sizes representing 160,927 children. Thirteen of 17 mean effect sizes were significantly different from zero and all indicated a link between spanking and increased risk for detrimental child outcomes. Effect sizes did not substantially differ between spanking and physical abuse or by study design characteristics.

PMID: 27055181 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
>>
File: MFW Statist Defend Spanking.jpg (13 KB, 560x292) Image search: [Google]
MFW Statist Defend Spanking.jpg
13 KB, 560x292
Risks of harm from spanking confirmed by analysis of 5 decades of research
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/04/160425143106.htm

Date: April 25, 2016

Source: University of Texas at Austin

Summary: The more children are spanked, the more likely they are to defy their parents and to experience increased anti-social behavior, aggression, mental health problems and cognitive difficulties, according to a new meta-analysis of 50 years of research on spanking.
>>
File: Poll.png (12 KB, 640x280) Image search: [Google]
Poll.png
12 KB, 640x280
Spanking leads to mental health issues and aggressive behavior in kids, study finds
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/health/sfl-spanking-leads-to-mental-health-issues-and-aggressive-behavior-in-kids-study-finds-20160426-htmlstory.html

Although the study is arguably the most in-depth investigation into the spanking debate, there are still a number of people who believe spanking isn’t a harmful practice.

The positive outlook has been around for a while.

Take, for instance, this 2014 opinion piece from CNN, titled: “Spanking isn’t child abuse, it’s common sense.”

In the piece, columnist Ruben Navarette asserts that while he’s against child abuse, he’s not against spanking. He says the topic is a sensitive issue around his house, but as long as you "follow the rules," spanking can help teach a child characteristics like respect and obedience.

The 19 states in which corporal punishment is legally allowed in schools follow similar logic.

We have yet to see whether the study, published on April 7 in the Journal of Family Psychology, changes any opinions, mindsets or laws.
>>
Bullshit
I was spanked plenty of times: with a belt, with twigs. I got my hair pulled, I was locked outside in the cold winter til I learned my lesson. What can you do? I wouldn't have listened other way. And I became completely balanced guy who respects authority and discipline.
>>
>>72137503

Stockholm Syndrome.
>>
According to this research and thread everyone born before the late 1960s is mentally ill.
>>
>>72137595

You're the faggot that screams "BOOTLICKER!" in all the cop threads, aren't you?
>>
>>72137503
You aren't "balanced" if you approve of such horrific abuse.
>>
>>72133353
Not spanking them makes leftist faggots who think everyone is special.

In this day and age everything is a mental disorder, useless data just like college degrees
>>
>>72134287
>All stats that disagree with me are agenda driven bullshit.
I was spanked too, amerifat, I thought it was an OK thing to do.
Hey presto, it's not.
>>
File: super-stef-by-rock-bar.jpg (127 KB, 768x960) Image search: [Google]
super-stef-by-rock-bar.jpg
127 KB, 768x960
>>72137740

Children are trained psychologically to be aggressive. If we discipline our children in positive ways we will be less inclined to waging war.

Peaceful Parenting Series: Raising Children Without Aggression
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMNj_r5bccUwZY7RCZnS2e5-vjaA7wSNw
>>
This is one area where Stefan Molyneux is on the right track.
Unfortunately he then reduces every single problem that a person has down to childhood abuse, which makes him a creepy cult leader.
>>
How were millennials raised? Do the opposite.
>>
>>72138342
And look at where it has got us.

Whites are considered pussies while everyone else is still using the old methods.

Pussified to the point that even women don't want them fuck your games.
>>
>>72137503
What the hell mate, that's fucking abuse, it's a nigger tier education, make obey your children with pain and fear, it's disgusting.
>>
I never minded getting spanked. I preferred it because it was over quick and we could move on. What really motivated me to exhibit good behavior was having things taken away from me, like TV or video games for days or weeks at a time.
>>
>>72133353
I spank my daughter when she deserves it. Hasn't caused any issue.
And it feels so good smacking her little butt.
>>
>>72138102
I'm grateful it happened even if I didn't fully approve it. I probably wouldn't use the same methods, I'd get in jail these days anyway. I can now see it was done out of love. Never I've felt like my parents don't love me. Sadly today's way of raising kids is "my child fully knows what's best for him/her".
>>
>>72138232
So Donald Trump and his children are leftist faggots?
Anyway, if you bothered to search for statistics on the percentage of parents who spank their children, you would discover that it is still performed by most parents.
>>
>>72138782
Kek
>>
Sometimes words don't work. It's a last resort if the kid is being shit and can't think logically.
>>
>>72133353
So how should parents discipline their children?
>>
File: phpaKjS38.jpg (12 KB, 300x260) Image search: [Google]
phpaKjS38.jpg
12 KB, 300x260
>>72134136
>>72134287
this. it's just numbers, you can divide, multiply, add and all other equations till the right(desired) result..
or put questions and answers in such light.

yes, didn't read.
sometimes words just don't get thru, you know..
just look at the self entitled flat brain dipshits coming out of elementary school, no culture, no discipline and most of all no future.
>>
In other words, water is wet and nighttime is dark.
>inb4 flood of people who say "I turned out okay! That means it works for everybody!"
>>
what was the psychiatrist promoting the no spanking education? the one that his son turned out a homo and the daughter a dike?
>>
>>72138605
>le epic white identity politics meme
>>
>>72133353
>The upshot of the study is that spanking increases the likelihood of a wide variety of undesired outcomes for children
>likelihood

yeah now do a "meta analysis" of factors that also contribute to that.
>>
File: spanking.jpg (67 KB, 791x242) Image search: [Google]
spanking.jpg
67 KB, 791x242
>>72138782

Weirdo
>>
>>72137740
>Negative outcomes of spanking comparable to child abuse

explains alot
>>
>>72137503
Locked outside in the cold winter

Holy shit anon a couple smacks on the butt is one thing, but this is where the line should be drawn.
>>
>>72133353

better than the alternative
>>
>>72139469
It's not weird to enjoy touching her little tush and like the kissing and cuddling that comes after.
>>
I think most children up until now were spanked. Is the whole country fucked? No. Were those past generations as bad now, entitled prats? No

If it isnt done for the fuck of it, but you use the belt only when its needed its fine
>>
On one hand, you inflict fear, hopes, and desire of revenge, and will potentially themselves create conflict with others.

On the other hand, you create someone who believes their actions have no consequences and that they can do what ever they want, and will potentially be spoiled.

You have to know when to punish them, tell them why they are being punished, and explain why.
The good old "follow the rules."

"Don't stand to close to the fire".
"don't touch the stove when it is red"

You shouldn't punish your children, unless the punishment they get from nature and other people would be much worse.
>>
>>72140028
>the belt
Spanking should only be with an open hand on her bare bottom or with a switch. A belt or something would be too impersonal.
>>
>>72139837
Fuck no. I remember one time i was acting like bitch saying bad things to my parents. And my dad said that if you dont follow the rules of this house you can sleep outside. So he kicked me out to a freezing night. I walked for 10min around the block came back and said i am sorry etc. Never was that method needed again.
Did i fear my dad after that or anything like that no. I understood he was right i was acting like shit.
>>
>>72138958
You let them make all of their OWN decisions you shitlord, you're not their master.
>>
>>72133353
These are the kind of pics you should share on Facebook and Twitter. Nobody can criticize them and they will trigger the desire in women to have more children.
>>
>>72140343
And some people believe that is a good thing, that the child will fear "the rod" instead of you.
>>
>>72140103
Only if they are shitty parents anyway. Then the punishment is useless anyway. But if you act like shit they punish you, you understand why they did that.
>>
File: spanking.jpg (81 KB, 791x300) Image search: [Google]
spanking.jpg
81 KB, 791x300
>>72139992

There are no brakes on the kek train.
>>
if you have to resort to violence then you've already failed as a parent. that means they don't respect you or care about you, probably because you didn't return the favour at some point in their history. for example if they did something they're proud of and you're not there, instead doing some stupid shit/work and not giving a fuck about it.

it's a classic example of 'i missed my childs birthday'. it's shit like that which will fuck your kids up in the future.
>>
The best way to discipline a.child is by completely ignoring them until they feel responsible and.guilty for their actions.
>>
>>72140588
But that is not good. It is important they understand
>>72140638
You have to comfort her with cuddling and kisses after you spank her. It's important so she understands you still love her even though she had to be punished.
>>
All my brothers including myself were spanked growing up.

My oldest brother (in his 30's now, and just got married to a really great woman) got it the worst out of all of us. My mother use to beat him up while punishing him to the point of borderline abuse.
My mom eventually made a "3 strike" rule where she would only spank us with three strikes, and that would be our punishment. In an attempt to curb her temper so she doesn't go too crazy on our asses.
She made this rule when my middle brother was fairly young.
Funniest thing about this is my oldest brother is the most well adjusted of us all.
My middle brother is a fairly weird otaku, but a decent enough guy, and a productive member of society.
I was shown the most leniency out of all of us, and I'm a 26 year old jobless wreck of a human being with no real goals to make anything of myself.
What a world we live in.
>>
>>72139837
It's not like you are there whole night, just walk around a bit and you suddenly get humble and beg to get back in
>>
File: mommy.jpg (56 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
mommy.jpg
56 KB, 1280x720
Spanking destroys childhoods.
>>
So humans are dumber than animals like dogs? Yea, I'll believe it.
>>
>>72133353

>Jew liberal bullshit "science" designed to make your daughter grow up to be a whore and your son grow up to be a faggot

People have been spanking kids since before history began to be recorded. Who should I trust? (((Elizabeth Gershoff))) and (((Andrew Grogan-Kaylor))) or 10,000 years of tradition?

And why do I suspect the conclusion of this study just may have been predetermined?
>>
>>72133353

Spanking is the resort of bad parenting - if you are a good parent you can manage and encourage your child without ever having to resort to spanking.

That said good parenting is difficult and spanking is probably a good alternative to no discipline.

I was beaten a fair amount as a kid and my parents whilst good in other fields, were really bad parents - they were never the sort to be good at raising kids. They were shit parents and violence was an easy way of controlling behaviour and retaliating to misbehaviour, but the alternative would have been total chaos.

So in short yes spanking and corporal punishment is bad parenting, but not all people are cut out to be good parents.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.