[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did obesity become a problem in United States?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 13
File: obesity.jpg (43 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
obesity.jpg
43 KB, 500x374
How did obesity become a problem in United States?
>>
>>72042285
Our transition into a service based economy is a big factor
>>
>>72042285
Junk food
>>
High fructose corn syrup
>>
Corn subsidies.

We have so much goddamn corn that we had to literally make it into a hyper nutritious, hyper addicticr, infinitely consumable substance go get rid of it and give corn farmers their dole.
>>
>>72042285
wealth.
>>
>>72042285
Fast food industry put a place to eat on every single corner of every major city. People either got lazy and didn't want to cook, or they worked so long that if they cooked their own meals they wouldn't eat til 8 PM or later. This leads to people just grabbing whatever is available on the way home and going to Burger King and picking up a 5 dollar meal is easier and quicker than going to a mom and pop restaurant and waiting 15+ minutes for a 10-20 dollar meal, even if the mom and pop food is better.

Women also entering the work force (Either by choice or necessity) lead to there not being a caretaker at home that would raise the children and cook all the meals, so this just further pushed for a rise in fast-food and eating out rather than cooking.
>>
Decadence.

Hedonism.

Gorging on food is a legal high for people who need to feel good because they feel like shit.
>>
Fast food with slogans like "I'm loving it" "eat like you mean it", and heavy social manipulation through various techniques in order to keep you hungry and craving.
>>
>>72042285
unhealthy food cheap and easily accessible on every street corner. no need to even get out of your car to purchase and consumer thousands of calories under $10.
>>
File: 1426619173443.jpg (105 KB, 520x540) Image search: [Google]
1426619173443.jpg
105 KB, 520x540
>>72042285

> corn syrup
> welfare state
> niggers & spics
>>
Having both parents work full time jobs meant that Mom couldn't easily do home cooked meals anymore, so fast food, take out, and frozen food because the default. Add in the fact that everybody just sits at home and watches tv or spends hours on fucking Facebook while doing nothing physical just means most people sit around getting fat.

And it's not going to change anytime soon because it makes too many people too much money.
>>
File: 1424812846489s.jpg (3 KB, 117x125) Image search: [Google]
1424812846489s.jpg
3 KB, 117x125
heavily subsidized chemical manufacturing industry in the middle of the last century gave us preservatives that agitate our endocrine and digestive systems

heavily subsidized corn industry gave us corn-based artificial sweeteners that are calorie-heavy and nutrient-weak

the government told us fat was the problem so we're still eating all this sugar thinking we've fixed everything

technology has made exercise seem unnecessary
>>
>>72042940
Dunkin Donuts placing product in basically every gas station in New York. Bread and Circus is staged elections and being able to buy pastries whenever you step out of you car
>>
File: 3kBBxqC.png (2 MB, 1136x1136) Image search: [Google]
3kBBxqC.png
2 MB, 1136x1136
I drink a fuckload of soda.

What happens if I drop it for a month?
>>
>>72043026
> corn syrup
This.

Or just cheap sugar with stable price.
>>
When they introduced the "food pyramid" and called for grains and carbs to be the biggest part of our diet just as we were becoming more sedentary.

>>72042940
>>72042856
These too.
>>
>>72043267
You will shit your pants.
>>
>>72042740
but it's not hyper nutritious, it's just calorie dense. it has basically no nutrients in it.
>>
>>72043267
Nothing at all dude.
>>
>>72043083
This.

The increasing rate of single moms is the same issue. No time to cook, a tiny food budget, and no time to spend with their kids to regulate their intake is what creates people with eating disorders.
>>
File: 1458847589215.jpg (100 KB, 785x762) Image search: [Google]
1458847589215.jpg
100 KB, 785x762
yes body positivity goyim dieting is bad eat a quadruple mac goyim oy vey
>>
>>72042285
Mexicans and blacks are all fat.
>>
>>72043267
you'll lose a pound, even if you don't change anything else.

i think the actual figure is supposedly 10 lbs in a year, if you only drink a can a day
>>
>>72042285
No army duties
>>
>>72043413
> dieting is bad
Modern dieting with exclusion of fats and replacing it with sugar is extremely retarded.
>>
File: 1447729586803.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1447729586803.gif
2 MB, 480x270
Gluttony and overindulgence. Add on how many jobs aren't physical thanks to technology and how we are constantly praised and told we're great just the way we are, and there's no reason not to do everything that tastes and feels good. The shit that gets put in food doesn't help, but it's the addiction to eating so much of it that ruins people.

Barring some outlying diseases or disorders, if you get a reasonable amount of exercise and don't overeat, you can eat whatever you want and stay healthy. The standards for "healthy" and "reasonable exercise" keep dropping while serving sizes keep increasing, and it is much cheaper and easier to obtain junk food than properly prepared healthy food.

So poor people can't afford to eat right, and people who could afford it are too much of spoiled hedonistic fucks who can't imagine a proper serving size or eating something not slathered in bullshit. Even potentially good things like salad have to be swimming in oil and dressing because they would vomit if they ate a vegetable, and sure as hell aren't going to be going for a walk afterwards.
>>
cheap food is also unhealthy as fuck
>>
>>72043026
Visible disgust from that pic to be honest.

If that pic doesn't invoke some motivation for dieting in fatties, then I don't know what can.
>>
>>72042856
so how come this happens in the US but not in other countries where fast food is as avail on every corner?
>>
>>72043267
Drinking soda is the same thing as drinking alcohol as far as your body is concerned, you just don't get drunk since fructose doesn't pass the brain blood barrier

Pick a beer next time so you can at least have fun while slowly killing yourself
>>
File: 1461410302038.png (999 KB, 893x1228) Image search: [Google]
1461410302038.png
999 KB, 893x1228
>>72043512
not watching your caloric intake because some actresses on TV said dieting is evil is also retarded
>>
Did not a single person in here mention the rise of the internet as a major contributing factor?
>>
>>72042285
MMMMMuh big bones. kek>>72043026
>>
>>72043624
i'll correct myself, its the portions and volumes that's the difference, probably.
>>
>>72043524
Seems to me people with "physical" jobs like construction are all overweight and those with indoor office jobs are more likely to be fit. I guess no job is physical enough anymore to burn that many calories, but some jobs make you too tired to workout after work.
>>
>>72042285
Lack of exercise
>m-muh high calorie diet
Junk food + exercise = sick gains brah. Mountain Man if your male, and Amazon thunder thighs if your female.
>>
>>72043751
i sort of did. but i think that the problem is escapism, not the internet. it's the capacity in which we use the internet that is harmful, not the internet itself.
>>
>>72043668
drank a growler and 1/4 of another in 4 hours last night and wasn't even buzzed, I've worn out my ability to get drunk off beer
The ABV was 6.5% which is pretty weak compared to the 8.4 or 9% I usually drink
>>
>>72042285
Shit food culture.
>>
>>72043674
Goddammit, I always click on this thinking it's a bitchin golden buddha sculpture.
>>
>>72043893
People sitting on their asses all day is the biggest factor.
>>
Most of 4chan is obese and it's because they don't move. Overconsumption of calorie-dense foods and they refuse to engage in any physical activity. Many haven't gone outside in weeks.

It's really that simple. You can eat whatever you want as long as you exercise regularly.
>>
>>72042805
Also Europe is wealthy, but this don't allow us to eat as we were desperate.
>>
>>72043674
THICC
>>
>>72043989
i drank like you for a few years and i cut down drinking seltzer water

i still drink, i just don't drink a sixer of Snake Dogs every night after work any more
>>
>>72042285
Service based industry
High supply of cane sugar lead to habitual cooking which implemented high amounts of sugar for generations that lived in high labor environments.
The eventual automation of the work industry.
Invention of the television.
Generations of high calorie diets transitioning into a sedentary lifestyle, without adapting or adjusting.

Tldr; too much food, not enough movement.
Blame the cane sugar trade industry for transporting poison. Don't get me started on corn syrup.
>>
BEST EXPLANATION COMING THROUGH

The current obesity epidemic is caused by a bunch of factors that worked together to cause the perfect storm of lard:

- The increasing automation of labor after the industrial revolution
- The increasing ease/lower cost of obtaining calorie heavy (fatty & sugary), nutrient light food (fast food, packaged foods, etc) driven by consumer tastes in addition to the economic benefit of longer shelf life
- The government bamboozling everyone into thinking that carbs should be the base of the food pyramid
- The government subsidizing things like corn, making it cheaper to add sugar to everything (which food industries know makes sales go up)
- Americans having to work more hours/jobs to make the same amount of money, so not as much time for exercise and cooking
- Schools poorly educating kids on nutrition and providing horrible lunches, which teach kids to eat poorly by habit
- Media/authors realizing that they can make money off of fad diets that don't simplify dieting (eat less, get your macros right, move more), making it really hard for people to figure out something that should be really simple.

There are more i'm missing,but all of these work together in a vicious cycle to make america fat as hell
>>
>>72044151
I stopped WoW, cigarettes, weed, soda, candy, and sitting on my ass over the past 4 years but I cant stop drinking almost every night. I just love the buzz but I despise liquor. Lately I've started drinking wine with a few beers to mix it up
>>
>>72044095
well, yes, but that comes from the drive to disconnect from physical reality

people here are largely overworked, overmedicated, under-educated and poorly fed

it's a cyclical problem. people feel like shit, so they do nothing, and by doing nothing they continue to feel like shit
>>
File: 1461337700877.jpg (222 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1461337700877.jpg
222 KB, 800x800
>>72043674

IS THAT A FUCKING NURGLE NECKLACE?
>>
Competition for quality and quantity
>>
>>72043848

>but some jobs make you too tired to workout after work.

This is true. Construction jobs are going to discourage aerobic exercise before or after a shift. Where as a nice 5 mile run is an enhancement of your day if you sit on your ass all day in front of a computer.
>>
Personal responsibility for your health is more important than government intervention right??
>>
>>72043267
you might avoid diabeetus?
>>
>>72042285
Niggers and mexicans
>>
File: 100.gif (83 KB, 395x281) Image search: [Google]
100.gif
83 KB, 395x281
>>72042285
3 factors.

1- Cheap, massive portions.
2-. Most people drive, and don't walk a mile to public transport.
3- Our culture is very tolerant of fat people, people who dress like utter shit, philosophically ignorant people, geographically retarded people, historically bankrupt people and people who generally take no pride in themselves whatsoever.

Think about it, most Americans know nothing beyond their trade, mass media bullshit, and a weekend at the bar/club with their friends. That's it. Having interests in anything else carries no cultural value here, unless those interests tie into your career.
>>
>>72044354
It does look like the Great Unclean One somewhat...
>>
>>72042285
https://youtu.be/lDneyrETR2o

Simply because we hated Germans/ Austrians?
Seriously Gary figured it out, hospitals in the USA up until after WW2 knew how to keep people skinny .
>>
>reading this thread after a few weeks of good workouts that just culminated in a relapse weekend and a large pizza

I'm sorry bros I'm trying
>>
>>72042285
Microwave ovens. They destroy the nutrients in food.
>>
>>72043751
I think Americans were fat before the internet.
>>
>>72042285

Talk to the CSPI about this one. Their push to get Americans to move away from animal fats under the false assumption that trans-fats were a "healthier option" has fucked us hard for the past 3 decades.

Beware leftist front groups masquerading as "scientists", they usually end up fucking everything completely and then just say "Whoops!" when the results are disastrous.

Funny that these groups that set shitty standards that fuck American health are the same ones who are anti-corporate, anti-capitalist and believe themselves to be infallible, all while doing more to destroy the country than that which they claim they're against.
>>
>>72044558

>philosophically ignorant people, geographically retarded people, historically bankrupt people

What does this shit have to do with anything, retard? You have to be a philosopher to join the pretty people? It's the exact opposite. Vain people are usually morons.
>>
>>72043848
It depends on the nature of the job and how the person responds to their body asking for energy.

Moving and doing things takes energy, so you need to eat. Ignoring any other factors, if you spend your time walking around, picking things up, etc, you will be hungrier than sitting around doing nothing. If you worked at a desk and did nothing each day, and a 2000 calorie diet maintained your weight, if you continued to only eat 2000 calories despite switching to a physical job you would have a deficit and lose weight.

There are tons of outside variables though. Physical workers need more food, but what if they don't eat good food, or overeat compared to what they need, while the office worker doesn't really eat so their bodies natural rate of burning calories is all it takes to sustain it.

Either way, physical activity helps with health, and losing weight is the result of burning more calories than you take in, so people being overweight is the opposite of that. Eating shit and never doing anything is killing us.
>>
>>72044309
>>72044558

good point on the cars.. i forgot to mention that the VAST majority of our cities were built after we had cars, so they are very spread out, and public transportation is all but impossible. everyone HAS to drive.
>>
>>72044734

Not so much. In the 80's being fat was still pretty stigmatizing.
>>
>>72044408
Yeah, if you had to guess "which worker spent his vacation rock climbing Yosemite, the road construction worker, or the database administrator," it'd be a pretty obvious choice. All about that pent up energy.
>>
>>72042285
rat fucking fda admins
>>
File: 4409.jpg (77 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
4409.jpg
77 KB, 600x375
>>72044846
I'm saying that our society places no value on being a decent human being. Having a basic, yet cosmopolitan,education has literally no value here, whereas other places in the world it does. This lack of caring, this mental slovenliness, has a spillover effect that creates people who don't give a fuck about literally anything.
>>
>>72045180
Though I guess you could argue how stressful a job is will affect your need to work off some energy, ala the movie Office Space.
>>
>>72043267
you might lower the risk for kidney stones. But you're already fucked
>>
>>72045242

Go make a thread about THAT then, you pseudointellectual snob.
>>
>>72045242
>he says while posting pictures of fat people shitting themselves on 4chan

I'd put money on you having anime posters.
>>
File: 640_Khloe_Kardashian_503676268.jpg (46 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
640_Khloe_Kardashian_503676268.jpg
46 KB, 640x360
>>72045493
I'll post a trigger warning for you next time, Cleatus.

Here, enjoy a free role model.
>>
>>72043336
>but it's not hyper nutritious, it's just calorie dense.
Another victim of the US education system.
>>
>>72045035
>everyone has to drive

nice lie pablo
>>
>>72045640
I would, but I'm sure i'd be dumped.
>>
The high fructose jew and laziness.

>but I'm too busy to cook!
>eating well is expensive

Bullshit. I work 50 hour weeks and still have plenty of time to cook myself healthy and inexpensive meals. I haven't had soda in years, even the thought of it makes me gag.
>>
>>72042285
>more sedentary lifestyles
>people driving further distances to school/work instead of walking or biking
>corn subsidies: HFCS in drinks and sauces and corn meal in everything breaded
>blacks and hispanics
>>
>>72045734

This ad hominem bs only illustrates that is you yourself that is intellectually bankrupt.

Inb4 more poop pix.
>>
>High fructose corn syrup
So cheap with subsidies that they put it in literally everything. Processed food in the US is a calorie minefield and no one cooks from scratch anymore because most people don't have time.
In order to have the old American dream the newer generations need twice as many or more wage earners plus massive debt to get it. That means no one at home to make dinner and breakfast the old fashioned sugar free way.
Plus with the loss of manufacturing we have more sedentary jobs. Minorities are becoming a larger percentage today and they were always fatter on average.
Food businesses have a choice to make prices lower or portions larger to compete with each other and most of them pick larger portions because shipping cost is cheaper that way.
Mobility scooters are subsidized by medicare.
Plenty of reasons for the hot-pocket-alypse that will kill us all.
>>
There are numerous medications that have weight gain as a side-effect.
I have bi-polar and it nearly killed me. We finally found a med combination that leveled me out and I'm doing REALLY good in life now. Working towards a doctorate program (long way to go, but I'm making headway).

I swim at least two miles 2-3 times a week and am doing at least one medium to hard hike a week (usually 3-4 hours hiking on somewhat tough terrain).

I stopped drinking alcohol 4 years ago and drink at most one can of soda a week, usually 2-3 a month if that.

AND I STILL HAVE PROBLEMS WITH MY WEIGHT because of the fucking medicine. It is a real bitch because while I am doing everything I can to eat right, it just seems like an uphill battle. I'm about a 28 on the BMI scale and it is just so easy to fuck up my calorie count in a day just with a few fucking cookies.

So much shit food with so many calories in America just makes it hard. I'm losing weight, but I have a ways to go to get back to bmi 25 or under.

Add to the fact that while overeating is just as bad, if not worse than smoking or heavy drinking, it's not societally ok to get on someone for overeating as it is to yell at someone for smoking or binge drinking. It's bullshit, it's still a fucking addictive behavior
>>
>>72042285
people are fucking stupid here and gorge themselves on sweets without working it off in other forms such as running or yoga or any form of physical activity. then they sit on their asses for ~7 hours watching television until they lay in bed for another ~8 hours.

It's okay to have sweets every once and a while just don't be a fucking retard about it.
>>
File: bush dindu nuffin.png (155 KB, 368x395) Image search: [Google]
bush dindu nuffin.png
155 KB, 368x395
>>72042285
Calories make you fat.

Sugar (sugar is a carb, but not all carbs are sugar) is chemically addictive, and like any addiction, will cause you to take in more and more of it.

The obesity epidemic in the US is *directly* proportional to the increasing amount of sugar being added to food over the years.
>>
>>72042285
Cities designed around cars.
Inexpensive & plentiful food.
>>
>>72043435

more like 10lb in a month not every month, but the biggest drop is the first month
>>
>>72046304
>There are numerous medications that have weight gain as a side-effect
>my calorie count in a day just with a few fucking cookies.
> drink at most one can of soda a week
>So much shit food with so many calories in America just makes it hard

You sir, are on the verge of forever fatassery.
Blaming things around you for your own fatassing.
Turn back now before you sink to deep.
>>
File: 1468341830174.jpg (45 KB, 705x375) Image search: [Google]
1468341830174.jpg
45 KB, 705x375
>>72045874

Who ate it better??
>>
>>72042285
What everyone else said combined with programs several decades ago that talked about how bad fat in foods is. Now that's not to say that fat is 'good' or at least healthy compared to sugar of course. But what happened was people started eating more sweets in place of fat and many didn't realize it because companies wouldn't put 'sugar' on the nutrition labels. It's their fault still, but bullshit health articles for stay at home moms started the whole thing.

That, and we have too many niggers and mexicans who are way more likely to be obese.
>>
>>72042285
H I G H T E S T
I
G
H

T
E
S
T
>>
>>72046304
Count calories on everything you eat for the next month. Weigh yourself weekly. If you keep under 2000kcals/day, you will lose weight.
>>
>>72045875
This. Make some tuna (not mayo with tuna) sandwiches for a few minutes instead of eating big macs. Get some cheap cuts of meat and vegetables and boil them with some water for a an hour or 2 while watching tv.
>>
>>72043674
Smough?
>>
>>72042285
Capitalism. Even the poor people have big bellies and it's why everyone wants to come here.
>>
simple carbs. HFCS in everything. refined grain in everything.

these foods trigger huge insulin releases. insulin makes you hungry as fuck, so you just eat more and enter a viscious cycle that ends in the beetus.
>>
>>72045875
Jesus christ you people are as bad as the vegans. Just have to tell everyone how wonderful your diet is. Sad! And nobody gives a fuck!
>>
>>72045035
>owning the 4 wheeled jew
>>
>>72042285
One thing I never knew was that tooth decay wasn't prevalent until the mid 1700s-early 1800s or so. It wasn't because people didn't clean their teeth then (although dental hygiene then wasn't what it is now), it was because sugar was for the rich and for the rich only, other people simply couldn't afford it. That changed during the mid 1700s-early 1800s when it became much, much cheaper and was added to everything. Then this made me think, how the fuck did Elizabeth I (1533-1603), have such bad teeth when sugar was so scarce even back then (everyone knows how bad her teeth were, if you ask anyone to name a Brit with bad teeth they use her as an example and then use that as the platform for how long Brits have had bad teeth for). The answer, she ate 1lb (one pound) of marzipan a day, the main ingredient of marzipan? Sugar.

tl;dr the sweet Jew is to blame
>>
>>72043751
The obesity trend started well before the Internet came into existence. It probably doesn't help though.
>>
Kek, amerifats just need to look at for instance, japanese people.

What are they eating mostly? Rice. What do they eat the less from? Sugar.

Oh it's so easy!

These claims may or may not apply to the degenerate japanese of today.

I have my own farm, i don't eat meat, i eat mostly eggs, beans, potatoes, salat and cabbage.

Onto that i buy alot of rice, and olive oil.

I also drink a fucking bottle of wine a day (symptoms of browsing /pol/)

And i am healthy as fuck.
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.