[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At what age did you grow out of religion? For me it was 16.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7
File: himouto-umaru-chan-episode-7-2.jpg (162 KB, 2034x1133) Image search: [Google]
himouto-umaru-chan-episode-7-2.jpg
162 KB, 2034x1133
At what age did you grow out of religion?

For me it was 16. That's when I realized that God wasn't doing anything and if I could dismiss other people's religions so easily why couldn't I dismiss my own?
>>
A FUCKING LEAF
AHHAHAHAHAHA...HOLY SHIT
LIKE...AHHAHAHAHHAA..WHAT...THE....FUCK.........A LEAF!!!!!!!!
OH MY GOD....HAHHAHA....JESUS.....CHRIST....MOHAMMAD....(PEACE BE UPON HIM)......AN...ACTUAL....FUCKING....LEAF....ON.....A......FLAG....LIKE….LITERALLY….AN…ACTUAL……HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA…..”COUNTRY’S”….FLAG….WHAT….THE….ACTUAL….FUCK…..HAHHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA.....HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA...OH GOD....I'M.....I'M DYING....HAAHAHAHHAHA....I CAN'T....I CAN'T BREATHE.....HAAAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!
LIKE….WHAT…LE…FUCK….HHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA…A..FUCKING…..LEAF!!!!!.....OF….ALL…HAHAHHAHAHHA…THE….THINGS….A…….LEAF!!!!!!!...HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA…..WHAT……WERE…..THEY….THINKING!!!!!!!!
LMAOOOOO….JUST….FUCK….HAHAHHAHAHAHA….MY….FLAG…UP!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>80927827
You put way too much effort into that for it being so shitty.
>>
>>80927739

Twelve, when I started asking questions.

Fourteen officially, when I was caught in the back of a church van fingerblasting the pastor's daughter.

God exists, He just doesn't give a shit how we interprety Him. And I like to think he was keen on me fingerbanging that slut in the back of a car. Because if you're going to believe in something, that something might as well be based as fuck.

Pray, sing, praise, fuck. Who cares. Do it in the name of the Lord and you'll live happily in His domain.
>>
I grew into God when I was an adult.

Don't deny the higher power cucks
>>
>>80928188
>hitler dubs
>captcha ends in 000
See what I mean?
>>
>>80927739
Parents aren't religious so I never had fear of the lord beat into me.
>>
I was raised atheist.
>>
>>80928188
t. ahmed
>>
>>80928310
yea na
>>
By equating atheism with maturity and then asking your audience of similar experiences you are simultaneously guilty of the fallacies ad hominem, that is you're alluding people who have theistic beliefs are immature, and you are committing a sort of appeal to authority, that is you're alluding "maturity" means atheism.

Let me commit one of my own, I choose to strawman with anecdotal evidence: atheists are the angstiest, nihilistic man children who have been deluded by a community of one sided debaters stuck in an echo chamber into attacking a nonexistent authoritarianism by manipulating their inherent contrarianism.

Your entire reasoning for atheism, leaf, is that you're allowed to dismiss other peoples religions. Consider the implications of that.
>>
>>80928543
LOL you believe in god u must be DUM haha

*dips bedora*
>>
>>80927739
Grow out? Never had to grow out of it.
>>
>>80927739

Haven't.

I noticed all the atheists I met were deviants or alcoholics, and some intellectual posers.

Also, all the atheist sites I would browsed seemed simultaneously defeatist and aggressive.

I admit I don't pray as much as I used to though, since the cards I've been dealt are bretty gud (e.g no progeria or cancer) so why should I ask for more?

I just want to be just and live with integrity. I think that is what a good God would ask.
>>
>>80928936
Edgy mate
>>
>>80929255

Maybe you're just made out of butter.
>>
>>80929255
How is that edgy you spack
>>
I'd say about the same age for myself as well. My life was going shitty and continued to get worse. I prayed and prayed for some guidance but nothing ever came. That's when I realized it was a crock of shit and that my life wasn't going to change unless I myself did something about it. Thus I am the god of my life.
>>
>>80927739
When my dad cried out to god to save him from alcoholism and instead he died a month later.
>>
>>80928692
I choose to respond to the (you) that you have given me.

I've found there are two sources of belief. Either: you have been convinced into it by someone with greater intelligence and a God more easily supported by rationality, that is I'd argue a stronger God. Or, you've found some personal evidence or personal event that you found a little too coincidental, a little too ironic, a little too... Obvious for it not to be simple confirmation bias, which even a sceptical (read: rational) believer must accept is a possibility.

I'd say it comes down to God choosing for you to receive an argument, or you yourself choosing to accept an argument.

My point is it's a little too ironic that when the atheist community stopped attacking theists and began attacking SJW, Islamists, Marxists, third wave feminists and third wave black civil rights (aka BLM), their arguments became better and their ability to debate increased. Their own hypocrisy that they're too guilty of abusing fallacies became apparent, and if they're not abusing fallacies, they're using weak arguments that regularly blow up in their faces and can be applied right back at them.

This is my issue with atheists. What was it that lead you to direct yourselves at truly illogical movements? How can it not seem like you were meant to learn how badly you were debating?

The God, "I AM," prevails in glory.
>>
>>80928936
>I'm not atheist because I don't like atheists
I see this type of post a lot on /pol/. It doesn't make sense. You can't lie to yourself about faith.
>>
File: 86548.jpg (329 KB, 561x750) Image search: [Google]
86548.jpg
329 KB, 561x750
>>80927739

I grew out of religion around the age of seven. If I die and meet God or receive some sort of definitive proof then I'll convert on the spot, but any God that demands I successfully pick the right God out of thousands of almost identical religions is no God of mine.

>>80928936

Do you know what "confirmation bias" is?
>>
>>80927739
Better question is "when did you grow back into religion?"
>>
>>80929321
He is religious because of his hate for atheists
>>
>>80927739
Why are there so many anti-Christianity shills the last couple of days?
>>
>>80929573

I am not lying.

From my point-of-view and my experience, man without a god is more miserable.

>>80929696

Yes, that is the only way we interpret the world, so it should always be a given when reading a remark.
>>
>>80927739

Almost wish I could believe in Jesus, just for the perks, but at this point I'm agnostic with an unironinc appreciation for Judaism.

> mfw /pol/ made me Jewish
>>
>>80929696

I'll clarify that saying I grew out of religion around seven isn't some dig at theists, I personally consider myself an Agnostic-atheist anyway, it's seriously when I "grew out" of religion because before that I had no real concept of it.
>>
File: shrunkus.png (449 KB, 590x350) Image search: [Google]
shrunkus.png
449 KB, 590x350
>>80929571
but he isn't an alcoholic anymore
>>
>>80929877

Right, everything is ultimately subjective. The point I was trying to make, however, is that the "awful atheists" you encounter you either remember more vividly because that's what you expect an atheist to be, or they're the type of people to flaunt their atheism thus distorting the sample.
>>
File: image.jpg (127 KB, 481x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127 KB, 481x720
>>80928543
>>80929572
>flag
>intellectual response

>EMU INTELLECTUALS
>>
At around age 5 when kindergarten teachers read the Bible out loud. It had a talking snake, so it must have been fiction.
>>
>>80929877
>God exists because I want him to exist
Reality doesn't care about your feelings though
>>
>>80929572
>being so autistic you feel the need to respond to an obvious shitpost making fun of athiests
I'm Catholic and topfuckingkekerooni
>>
>>80930014

Yes, so do we agree that there are a lot of sad and angry atheists?

And that to correlate these two things isn't so far-fetched?
>>
My parents are atheists and asked the school not to teach me religion. Everytime there was a religion class, I would spend my time outside playing with my game boy pocket
>>
>>80930163

That wasn't my point.

And I don't think god cares about human feelings either, so to me believing in a god is not a matter of wanting my will or feelings to be heard.
>>
>>80927739
not subtle enough to be decent bait
>>
File: 1464405476355.gif (1 MB, 346x261) Image search: [Google]
1464405476355.gif
1 MB, 346x261
>>80930024
australians are taking their craft to the next level by posting well-articulated replies in shitpost threads
>>
>>80930189

I agree with that. There are lots of sad and angry theists, too.

I do not agree with that, though. The correlation is too far-fetched, from where I am standing the correlation between sadness and anger is with being human, not with being religious.
>>
Not sure, sometime when I was in middle school.

I was attending catechism classes and the teacher told me Chavez wouldn't go to hell when he died, and that the bad things he did would be forgiven.

So I decided religion was good for nothing. Eventually I started seeing more flaws in it and one day stopped caring.
>>
>>80929696
You will meet God every day if you talk to strangers.
>>
>>80930796
I may have met God, but God did not meet me.

When I die, and if there is indeed a God, I will ask for an explanation. If I do not receive one, I will reject that God, because that is how that God made me to be.
>>
>>80930434

That's a good point. One thing I also believe that comes with being human is having a need to worship someone or something.

I think we all have idols.

The fact that such a need exists in us is what makes me wonder sometimes.

It might be due to evolutionary influences or it could be a philosophical question.

Some of us are more inclined to the latter and others to the former.

To each their own!
>>
>>80927739
When I realized I was better than any fucking "god"

IE, when I first saw myself in a mirror
>>
>>80931033
>I will ask for an explanation.
You will not receive anything you weren't given previously.
>>
>>80930796
In certain areas of the US, certainly. You'll meet god as soon as you talk to a drug addled nog with a gun...
>>
>>80931203
Then that God will not receive my belief.
That is all there is to it.
>>
I once believed in the mystical, though it was not by any name or structure. I was raised with spirituality, but not with religion. In time I lost and later regained the former, but I never experienced the institution of the latter except through some scant third-hand writings.
>>
>>80931047

Yes, that's generally true. Humans as a whole have some need to worship a higher power (God) or even just other humans (celebrities.) There are a bunch of different reasons why that might be there, the existence of a real God might even be one of them (though my idea of God is significantly different to yours, I would wager.)
>>
>*tips fedora*
>*licks maple syrup off fingers*
>*takes a quick bong rip*
>*donates $5 to the LPC*
>*quotes Judith Butler*

I got out of God when I was pretty young......

>jk

>All about that Jesus

Grow up OP. Get into spirituality. It's real, unlike hollow and vapid atheism. Nihilism stopped being cool back in the 19th century.

God is real.
>>
>>80931536
Belief as what?

If you end up not liking the true nature of the God you may (or may not) find, is the response to pretend it doesn't exist? Or are you making some sort of Constantine (from Marvel) statement that you accept it exists but don't believe in it like you don't believe in your friend who consistently abandons you?

On one hand, I think you're intellectually dishonest. On the other hand, you're almost like a child who can't understand why it can't have ice cream for dinner.
>>
This thread is evidence that /pol/ is best when most Americans are awake
>>
File: 1450625175519.jpg (202 KB, 606x731) Image search: [Google]
1450625175519.jpg
202 KB, 606x731
I became agnostic about a year ago at 19. Now I almost believe in a universal god that relates to the christian one but there's not really a way to prove it.

What got me thinking is pretty interesting. If this god is real and doesn't show "himself" in an obvious manner and is this universal incomprehensible force I guess it would make since for him to "create" an avatar(s). (Jesus, perhaps buddha ect)

I mostly side with christian ideology because it's a decent framework for society. (Conservatives, right wing) I also really enjoy basic bhuddist teachings though that isn't what I'd put on top due to being raised in bible thumping south and intense pacifism is not what we need in this hilarious time we live in.
>>
>>80931700

I am sure.

I admit that I practice a religion (catholic), but I have felt that mine like many others' scope of their definition of "God" might fall short of the real thing if he is to exist. Not so much because of it's inadequacy but because a god would be much grandiose that the religion itself.

To be brief, I attribute to this god some of the classical christian traits such as just, good, and the creator, and a few others.

So even if I think my religion falls short, I do my best to follow its precepts as I believe that if such a god exists he would at least be appreciative of us living with integrity our values and seeking to imitate him and possibly finding him in the only way we might know how [through the set of beliefs one might grow up in or adopt].

But I do think that not all religions are good.

That's a brief summary, I'm curious as to yours.
>>
>>80927827

Grandpa, are you gonna be okay?
Grandma's not here anymore, remember?
>>
>>80932251

More similar to the latter, though I don't have any friends like that I could compare it to. The point is that a God who refuses to explain themself (even if my own interpretation of God would see no reason for It to care even the slightest about humanity as a whole, let alone myself) is not a God I am interested in placing on any sort of pedestal.

Intellectual dishonesty is the bread and butter of religion, my friend. The faith in one god over thirty thousand others sharing near identical evidence and substance is one of the most intellectually dishonest things there are.
No more a child than the one who believes a sky fairy created the universe five thousand years ago.

But regardless, as I am I was made by God, so any action I take has Its implicit approval.
>>
>>80929809
Check the calendar.
>>
>>80930189
Hey man, I may be sad but I'm not angry
>>
Eight! My mom tried to convince me I was an agnostic and I agreed initially and then decided that was a stupid outlook.
>>
Was gonna seriously comment till I noticed:
>1 post by this ID
sage
>>
>>80932548

Very well then.

I do not practice a religion and have never done so, and would consider myself Agnostic. I agree with the thought that most scopes of "God" would fall short of the real thing, though I take it one step further by believing that it is essentially pointless to even bother trying because any God would be far beyond the capacity of humans to understand. (Though that doesn't stop me, it's just an acknowledgment of ultimate futility.)

The traits I attribute to "my" god do include some of the more classical Christian ones such as creation of the universe, but I place this God as simply an observer. This God set the parameters for the universe and allowed it to run on its own. It is not omnipotent or omniscient like the Christian god is often purported to be, 'nor is It perfect because utter perfection is inherently contradictory, but It is still incomprehensibly powerful and knowledgeable.

I do not think It takes much interest in Humans or Human dealings as a species, let alone individual entities. It doesn't possess a concept of Good or Evil.

I'm fairly bad at explaining my belief, but the main point is that any God that may exist is almost certainly beyond the understanding of humans, which are by comparison an existent so minute they may as well not be there at all.
>>
>>80927739

You don't grow out of religion.
It's like healthcare, you don't need it during the middle years, only beginning and end.
Unless you're made of garbage and consistantly have all sorts of problems.
>>
>>80927739
OP here. Not even going to bother reading this thread because anyone that says god is real is trolling.

One of the hallmarks of an advanced and free society is that someone is innocent until proven guilty. Otherwise everyone is guilty of everything and society falls apart. If you can assert God is real without evidence then one can assert anything without evidence. This is why christians are dumbass retards just like Americans. In fact let's just believe anything we want. Huurr duuurrr I'm a woman that can transform into a fish and everyone around me is an alien flop flop flop glub glub NOTHING IS REAL WOWOWOWO OEIIJFWIEJFUCK FUCKF UCKF CUFK CUFKCFOJEGORIJGEOIRJGOWEHGIWUEHGRIUHI.
>>
>>80933798
> It doesn't possess a concept of Good or Evil.

Interesting thought.

Thanks for sharing, Ausbro.

Nice talking with you.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.