[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Doubt anyone cares...but we had a good thread with the American
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: literal hell.jpg (397 KB, 2000x1193) Image search: [Google]
literal hell.jpg
397 KB, 2000x1193
Doubt anyone cares...but we had a good thread with the American talking about Nigeria.

Just got back from working in Bermuda for several years, AMA

just to get this out of the way
>why do you have an American flag?
There is one wireless tower on the island so posting on 4chan was very difficult.
>>
No one wants to know about this little place?

Population is mostly Filipinos

There's no income tax so multiply the cost of whatever you're buying by two and that's what it costs in Bermuda

There's a ban on fast food joints from America opening on the island

Except KFC, it was there before the ban so there's one mall-sized KFC

No one cares? It's quite the fascinating little island
>>
Guess I'll just tell you stuff and hope someone notices me...

You have to have a work visa to get a job if you're a foreigner

They are very biased against foreigners coming in

Unless you are a full-blooded bermudian (or have married one) you cannot own property. Can only rent apartments and maybe small condos.

Work visa only lasts for about 3-4 years, as a foreigner I believe the max is 7 and then you will be forced to leave the island no matter what you do. Unless of course you marry a bermudian woman.

Still a debate going on about if a foreigner and a bermudian have a baby is it a native or not.
>>
Bermuda shorts aren't really as common as you think. The only people that wear them are either new to the island or have lived there forever and are now like 60-70 and don't care.

Basically once you reach a certain level in the business world you don't see shorts.

If you're a foreigner you are not allowed to own a car and must ride a scooter or walk. If you really want a car they're about twice as expensive as wherever you live since they're all imported.

The roads are very wide and nobody obeys speed limits, they're kind of just there so wrecks are very common.

Locals aren't friendly towards you unless you're a native. Your main hobbies living on the island are drinking and partying. Sometimes Xbox Live if your connection is good. But mostly just drinking. They mostly drink dark rum mixed with ginger beer or just any gut wrenching alcohol.
>>
Interesting
>>
Eating at a restaurant is often a challenge.

The manager only cares if you have money, more money than everyone else.

The last restaurant I went to I almost got thrown out
>3:00 in the afternoon
>go to a sushi restaurant with a few people from work
>they seat us immediately
>owner comes up to us
>will you be done by 4pm? I have a party of 8 coming in who made a reservation yesterday
>well we can try
>if you're not then just pay and leave I have to prepare
>there's plenty of other seats around, but he decides we have to leave if they come

Food is expensive, even fast food and there's no delivery. If you pick delivery there's a 99% chance the guy will decide it's too much trouble to board the ferry and make his way to the other half of the island so you get nothing. Pretty much have to go there yourself.
>>
The island isn't very well maintained...I had the luxury of being there for a hurricane that just brushed the island.

There were trees laying in the middle of the road, palms everywhere, the roads were just crowded with refuse from the storm. No one bothered to pick it up. There were no cleaning crews for weeks until I guess they were told the have to and then they just moved the tree out of the road and closer to the sidewalk.

The beaches are gorgeous though. There is pink sand, clear waters and all that. Lots of bars nearby so you can always drink which is their favorite thing to do.

Most of the foreigners that come by are laughed at by natives. Bermudians don't really wear jeans or sneakers and just make fun of people that do.

I got to witness a lot of foreigners trying to get used to the island and hitting the front of a bus with their scooter. Most of the time the driver doesn't bother getting out to see if they're ok, people just slam into a bus and move on while everyone else laughs at them.
>>
Was the *one* KFC at least good? How often did you eat there? lol

If everything is so expensive what did you do for food?
>>
>>79116178
The food there is not good, but you wouldn't think that based on how many people are there at a time.

You wait about 10-30 minutes for your food then if any of it is dry or undercooked you just eat what you can and leave. If you go to them about it
>what did you have?
>alright that'll be 34.99
>but I just paid
>yes but we have to make it again from scratch (not really) it'll be about 30-45 minutes

The economy works in a way that everything is so expensive you make enough to afford it. Counter the huge prices with huge income you pay no taxes on. There was one chinese restaurant I ate at 90% of the time. The other times I make something on a small budget.
>>
Sounds expensive and boring.
Does anyone surf there? Or to many sharks
>>
>>79117000
There are two main species of sharks in Bermuda, but both are virtually harmless unless you just antagonize them. You can see them often while snorkeling or swimming in the ocean and they don't mess with you.

Not much surf actually, they really love cliff diving. Cliff diving, yachting, and rugby are the main sports.
>>
>>79117373
Ok thanks, I dont think I would like it. Sounds even more expensive than where I live (big island hawaii)
>>
>>79117596
It's definitely expensive...you pay the tax with the purchase, but at the same time you make enough that it doesn't matter. I was making about 100-110k a year in Bermuda which is about what it takes to survive. But the thing is you get lonely over there. There's barely internet and phone service is about 75 cent a minute so you don't call people often.

I've heard Bermuda referred to as a more expensive Hawaii actually. It's got pristine beaches, plenty to do, the locals are usually mean to tourists, and the food is expensive.

I always tell people if you're going to stay there a few months you'll get rock fever (what they call homesick) and quickly want off.

If you're just going to stay a week or two it's a generally fun experience. The weather is usually pretty nice and Hotels while expensive are worth the fee. When I first came to the island and had to wait to move into my apartment I stayed at the Hamilton Princess & Beach Club and was amazed at how much nicer than the hotels in Florida (where I'm from).
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.