[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your opinion on trade schools vs going to college?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 638x479) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 638x479
What's your opinion on trade schools vs going to college? I'm currently getting my apprenticeship as a HVAC technician to me it was ALOT better than going to college but that's just me.
>>
>>76764635
Trade school will probably make you more money, costs less, and takes less time to complete
College will give you a more varied education. Go there if you want to learn more and do research, but it's kind of a waste if it's just job training
>>
In the current climate it's the route to go. When everyone can go to college it makes college worthless. Unless you STEM.

Trade Schools are basically STEM for those smarter then minimum wage but not smart enough to get an engineering degree. Not even an insult, I went to trade school.
>>
>>76764635
>But that's just me

That's the whole point. For you it was great. For others it's a terrible idea. You're not better than a college grad, they're not better than you. That is the mentality we need in this country because we need both college educated people (especially stem, but there IS a place for english majors and such, as professors as I believe in the concept of the renaissance man and we need smart people to teach our kids) AND trade school graduates.

Only thing that sucks about trade school is if you get in an accident you're fucked and have 0 earning potential.
>>
File: 1459955994207.jpg (70 KB, 375x312) Image search: [Google]
1459955994207.jpg
70 KB, 375x312
>>76764635
>What's your opinion on trade schools vs going to college?

Trades are more in demand than ever. But people want to have the dream of what the media has fed them for a job. They want a job that is comprised of funny meetings, prestige, and most of all, instant gratification that offers a spur of the moment payoff.

It sucks and it's getting worse.

No matter how "automated" manufacturing becomes, those machines will need constant maintenance and repair.
>>
>>76764635
It's your future. Who do you want to be?

Sure: a trade will keep you in the middle class.

Unless your technology gets outmoded, in which case your entire career is a worthless resume, because your only education and experience are centered around the telegraph.

An education isn't for work, though--it's true that a college degree doesn't guarantee you a good job. HOWEVER, all of the good jobs will be unavailable to you, without one. Sure: of the forty applicants, thirty-five have degrees, so the degree of any one of those thirty-five isn't going to be a deciding factor. But the five people without degrees? Those applications goes straight to the trash.
>>
>>76765899
>applications

Who the fuck still applies for jobs? Networking or get fucked.
>>
STEM, engineering in particular, is still shit because you'll have to compete with a bunch of Asians who got in just because of their good grades but have no real world experience of how things work.

Get your HVAC cert, spend a few years as a tech and you're probably gonna end up richer than those Asians in STEM.
>>
>>76766126
"Networking" is a meaningless buzzword.

The kind that gets you jobs are:
A) Nepotism
B) People you do contract or other third-party work for or with, and ask you to send over a resume
C) Colleagues you meet at industry events

In B & C? If your "networking" means anything at all, it's because you've befriended the person who goes to the person doing the hiring and says "hey, consider my buddy Shlomo for the job."
>>
>>76765099
This.

Either go to college for something really worth it, like accounting and engineering, or go to a trade school.

Liberal Arts is a scam.
>>
>>76766498
>Writing, critical thinking and culture have no work-related value
Congrats on summer break!
>>
>>76766461
wew thanx for clarification I almost signed up for compsci networking basics
>>
>>76766461
>"Networking" is a meaningless buzzword.

I have only ever applied for one job, an internship during college.

After I graduated, they hired me on full time.

When I moved across the country, my boss called up a friend, and I walked into a new job.

When I moved again, a coworker/friend at job #2 called up a friend, and I walked into a job.

I plan on doing the same for my next job.
>>
>>76764635
Not everybody is good at things. If you have an aptitude for actual labor, take up a trade. If you're better driving a desk and balancing accounting spreadsheets, take up college.

There is nothing wrong with either route, as long as you study something with value. That means no Master's Degrees in Feminist Basketweaving, then bitching because others won't pay your student loans.

My mechanic joked with me once while I was doing IT work for him, saying "I wish I was smart enough to understand this computer crap." I just had to look at him funny. I reminded him that he could completely dismantle an engine from memory while I still struggled just to change my air filter.

"Muh College" has become nothing but a liberal meme used to oppress and mock the working class.

Find something you're good at and make money doing it. That is the secret to success and happiness.
>>
>>76766756
I'm not saying it shouldn't exist.

That being said, it's almost always a poor return on investment.

We need a few poor saps to go through with it.

By the way, I already have a degree and a comfy job in my industry. But go ahead and just assume any contentious opinions are 'summer'.
>>
>>76766461
>Nepotism
>>76766917
sorry, read your entire post now.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>76764635
Texas hvac tech here.

Partied too much in college and loss scholarship 3.5+ to maintain.

Racked up 15k debt.

Making $20/hr now in a $7.75 min wage state after two years field experience, one year of schooling.

I even have a DWI, doesn't keep the hvacr community from hiring you. The industry is full of old fucks and starving for techs, especially refrigeration ones.

Wish I never went to college, 80% of professors spoke English as a second language and the experience was very similar to high school (money rules)

Then again I always was a mechanical type of guy
>>
File: 1443846133606.jpg (173 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1443846133606.jpg
173 KB, 640x640
Finish trade school, work in your field a while, and then if you decide there's better, yet still relevant career options that a degree would provide, then go for it. You'll then have the relevant work experience on top of the degree that so many employers look for now.

It's what I'm doing, and it's working like a charm. My company knows what I'm studying and is giving me the chance to learn some of the bottom-rung stuff before I graduate, so I've got a better foundation for a promotion when I do.
>>
Trades are much more valuable to society than college degrees.
>>
>>76767058
>hvacr

is HVACR a new term? I saw it on the side of a van for the first time ever yesterday.
Or am I just unobservant as fuck?
>>
>>76764635
> What's your opinion on trade schools vs going to college?
College/Uni if you want to go the full route (Master or PhD) and do a degree that is worth it.

I went to trade school because I was sick of school and teachers, learned chef for 3 years, spent 2 years traveling around working abroad, came back went to University did my BA & MA in Hospitality Management and BS & BS in Food Technology and would do that again.

If you just want a fucking Bachelor because that's what the cool kids do, you're doing it wrong.
Learn a fucking trade, you can always go back to Uni and get a related degree.
>>
>>76766950
This.
>>
>>76764635
Don't fall for the higher education meme, especially if you have to pay lots of money in tuition fees.
>>
I fell for the liberal arts meme and now have a worthless BA

What kind of trades should I consider going back to school for?
>>
>>76767295
The latter of the two

Heating
Ventilation
Air
Conditioning
Refrigeration
>>
File: 3-3 Equilbrium_13.jpg (40 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
3-3 Equilbrium_13.jpg
40 KB, 720x540
Econ grad here. We learnt theoretical gibberish and I have no skills that apply in the real world.
>>
>>76767696
Sup brainlet? Can't figure out how to use that degree? (lol)
>>
>>76765899
I generally hire the person with the most experience regardless of background education. The "higher education makes you a better employee" meme should die.
>>
>>76765099
I learned this the hard way, managed to duck out after only 10k of debt and had it all payed back two years ago. Making $30/hr now and I actually enjoy the work.
>>
>>76767696
I don't get that graph, I thought supply and demand are quantities or something like a quantity per time. How is it a "price per quantity"?
>>
File: 1414129682387.jpg (16 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1414129682387.jpg
16 KB, 640x360
>>76764635
>Go to trade school
>Far cheaper than college
>Learn a trade that will not only get you a job right out of school and help you learn skills that make you more independent but also guaranteed job security because your skills will always be needed

>Go to college
>Go into debt
>MAAAAYBE you'll find a job right out of school
>Never learn physical skills, nobody will ever ask you for help because they will think you're useless for having a white collar job
>Lesser job security since technology advances at an alarming rate and you could become deprecated at the drop of a hat
>Kill yourself when the company you work for downsizes and your "skills" aren't applicable in the future working climate

Tough choices there, m8.
>>
>>76764635
College is a big scam in America. Go to trade school. Takes less time, you wont be paying off debt in your 50s, you'll get right into a job after trade school, plus you'll be making a very comfortable wage.
>>
>>76764635
electrician. dont fall for the plumbing meme
>>
Asst. Property manager here, high rise NYC area commercial office space. My building engineers make about 36/hr plus a shit load of overtime. There's nothing wrong with trade schools. If you're smart, you could always take some classes on the side later, and become a foreman/project manager.
>>
>>76765099
It's funny that you say that... Because I'm smart enough to realize that I get paid better than my friends that have STEM degrees.
>>
File: 1441980930968.jpg (245 KB, 785x1024) Image search: [Google]
1441980930968.jpg
245 KB, 785x1024
>>76767597
Welding
>>
>>76765099
I was smart enough for a STEM degree, and I still dropped out for the Trades. Yes, on average, STEM people are smarter than tradespeople, but it's not JUST intelligence that determines what you do.
>>
File: 1431313920662.jpg (42 KB, 436x436) Image search: [Google]
1431313920662.jpg
42 KB, 436x436
>>76768250
>Learn a trade that will not only get you a job right out of school and help you learn skills that make you more independent but also guaranteed job security because your skills will always be needed
now that truckers are going out of jobs and several companies laid of thousands of people in favour of automation, it won't be long before the trades cucks get automated out of a job :^)
>>
>>76768250
Ignorant brainlet redneck detected
>>
>currently learning a trade
>plan on getting 5 years experience
>saving up money to go to school for Mechanical Engineering with no debnts

Companies would kill for an Engineer who also has a ticket in the trade he would make drawings and decisions for.

For some reason, they seem to be extremely few and far between.
>>
>>76768564
Is welding a meme or it actually makes money?
>>
>>76764635
It's a fine option, we'll always need trades. I don't think enough people know about trade schools, which is why they go to college and end up digging themselves into a shitton of debt.
>>
I always hear STEM vs Trades
What about law?
>>
File: 1feel3.png (85 KB, 419x398) Image search: [Google]
1feel3.png
85 KB, 419x398
I have a bad knee, what trade should I get that doesn't require you to be on your knees a lot?
>>
>based job that makes the world go round
>oversaturated college meme degrees that don't matter 99% of the time
hmmmmm
>>
>>76767109
not everyone has the fucking privilege of going to a Finish trade school asshole
>>
>>76769065
conqueror of the new world
>>
>>76767058
>Wish I never went to college, 80% of professors spoke English as a second language
Sounds like most of my professors in the IT department. They mean well, but they never communicate their points well.
>>
>>76769065
Anything but engineering, they're on their knees 100% of the time
>>
>>76764635
If you have an IQ over 120 I would consider college. Then again trade school with smart saving if money am eventually starting your own business isn't a bad idea either

I'm 27 and my wife and I (which I met in college) both make 100gs and change, her parents are worth about 20-30 million as well, but college isn't for everyone.

I borrowed 30k to get my bachelors and maste Ed but spent my first year at community college to save money and got some scholarships to the big flagship university
>>
>>76764635

HVAC is a very good choice, you will be making easy money. My only tip is to get a mortgage with it after the next crash.
>>
Is plumbing a meme trade?
>>
>>76769527
I took IQ tests online and I'm in the mid 90s
>>
>>76767058

You're a fuckup, but at least you turned out okay. Glad to see you didn't become a NEET after losing your scholarship.
>>
>>76764635
>>76769632
FUCKKKK HVAC.

I did this job for a little while and it was the fucking worst.
Crawling around in 130 degree crawlspaces with duct work and getting covered by fiberglass insulation.

Never again.
>>
>>76764635
>HVAC
niggers
>>
File: finngolian-sun.png (33 KB, 781x710) Image search: [Google]
finngolian-sun.png
33 KB, 781x710
>>76769165
Are you nigger with dyslexia?
>>
>>76768172
That's why you shouldn't study economics.
>>
>>76768893
Welders can make a lot of money
>>
>>76764635
In the USA, if you're not in STEM, trade schools are better.
>>
>>76770260
Actually that is good for any country when I think about it.
>>
They're both good options.
I almost joined the electricians guild, but I did IT instead, and I have no regrets.
This idea that college degrees is a meme needs to die.
Go for something you actually enjoy or is actually useful and you've solved your problem.
>>
>>76769748
So just know if you go into engineering, finance, law Ect, you will be competing for entry jobs with 110-130s. One you get in and move up, the average/work ethic/people skills go up.

Trade school would allow you to be on par with your peers but also give you a chance to save money at a young age and eventually plan and start your own business in that associated trade
>>
File: 1465592683070.jpg (57 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1465592683070.jpg
57 KB, 720x540
>>76768172

See pic attached. An increase in supply means new technologies or improved efficiency, which lowers prices while also increasing the quantity both supplied and demanded. It is the shift of the curve. If you ONLY changed prices without changing supply, then your quantity supplied would not correspond to quantity demanded, and you wouldn't be in equilibrium in the market.
>>
File: you sure about that.png (220 KB, 355x341) Image search: [Google]
you sure about that.png
220 KB, 355x341
>>76765099
>When everyone can go to college it makes college worthless.

Are you sure about that? Last time I checked, plumbers, AC repair guys, and even elevator repair guys don't get paid anywhere near $200,000 per year.

Trade school seems like another Wall Street scheme to get the white goys away from college and bring in more brown people to college for free so that the hypocrite left can gain more democrat support.
>>
>>76765841
unless they make machines which can repair other machines
>>
>>76767696
What the fuck does this graph even mean? I always see it everywhere. Why not just "Don't make too much or too little of your product, try to meet the demand instead"?
>>
I will push my kids for a trade over traditional college education.

One of the reasons I really liked Rubio early on was that he was pushing hard for kids to pick up trades over college.

You start working sooner, you get good money much faster, you don't have to work in a field with a ton of spergs, the competition isn't nearly as tough and best of all you don't have debt.
>>
>>76769874
You don't know the half of it.

Try going from a 110 degree rooftop to a -10 freezer and back to the 110 degree roof multiple times.

Job is not meant for niñas
>>
>>76764635
I was enlisted military, did a 2 year vocational degree, then moved on to a four year business degree and now work in an office environment as a pleb middle-manager.

The only problem with vocational types is that some of them are borderline illiterate and/or sound retarded. I don't believe this has anything at all to do with university or higher education. It has to do with how you are raised and how you live your life. Not all tradesmen are white niggers, but a lot of them are.

So on one hand you have suburban college fags, who can't even change a tire, but are good ambassadors for a business, present well, and can crunch statistics on a spread sheet. And on the other hand, you have guys that are super good at fixing everything in sight, but present like a special needs 7th grader.

Which is worse? I don't know. But the tradesman who actually are really sharp should do themselves a favor and get some higher education under their belts to show this to the rest of the world so that they aren't unfairly lumped in with the former group.
>>
File: 1465220430197.png (37 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1465220430197.png
37 KB, 800x600
>>76768521
If your friends are not degenerate enough to rapidly lose their jobs, they will prove that they offer value to the companies, then will readily pass you in wages. Don't be so ignorant.

Trades are more of a sure thing, but often cap out at less.
STEM have a harder time finding a job, but if they prove they are not a valueless plug, they will soar.

t. a 4th year Structural Engineering student who is working in their 3rd consecutive summer coop term at one of the most desirable companies.
>>
>>76770785

Yeah, I'm a trade worker and I don't make anywhere near that. I own my own business and make over 250K/year
>>
>>76769065
Drafting
>>
You can always find a steady job in trades, but be mindful that labor rates have not risen in 20 years thanks to the importation of labor. Getting a college degree in something useful will not only bring you more money, but potentially more influence for right wingers, especially if you become a politician, writer, educator, or lawyer. I think I could have become one of those things but I ended up as a mechanic instead. No lack of jobs but wages are all low.
>>
>>76764635
I like this picture.
The trade student looks like he is stretching his head, confused and not sure what to do with himself. As if it is saying, All Trades workers are DUMB

The College graduate buisness man is on his phone, holding a portfolio. As if to say that the business man is always answering to someone and always moving around with papers. Its like they are saying, All Business men are so smart they can only be ordered around and must stay on a short leash.

As a red seal tradesmen, I can say for certain I do not mine being seen as an idiots while being my own boss and doing what I feel is best.
>>
>>76764635
Trade school most definitely. You receive hands on training in a skilled area in fields that are the least likely to be outsourced and are usually always in demand.
>>
Trades will be worthless within 20 years

They're the easiest 'educated' jobs to get into. It's where the intelligent foreigners will end up going, and where people dissatisfied with college will go.

And it's right in line for being automated, reducing the number of people needed for doing anything on top of the influx of desperate people looking for work. This will all simultaneously reduce pay down to minimum wage levels.

"Just go into the trades, gosh" is a boomer myth. Trades aren't as good as they're made out to be. Making a good living in the trades is a matter of luck and nepotism already, and those guys can't see how anything could possibly ever change about their job.

You want something semi-future-proof, you get into robotics (electrical engineering, computer science, mechanical engineering) and make the robots putting everyone else out of work.
>>
>>76771301
Also, I really can't do anything to politically influence people in my profession except shitposting in my off time. Yay.
>>
I went to college for civil engineering. I ended up in construction project management. That was 12 years ago and Im just now getting to where im earning more than most of the crew in the field. That said certain trades still make more, and in order for me to make what I make I regularly work 12 to 14 hour days because im salary. Trades are all hourly with overtime when you work it.
>>
>>76771490
Oh and if you want to be an utterly useless parasite who simply exists in society and will always have a job, you go into politics, finance, or corporate management.
>>
>>76770785
Union guys make retarded money especially for the amount of work they actually do. I really dislike the idea of unions but I'm not going to lie and say they don't make good money because they are required to be paid for every single little thing.
>>
>>76771490
I don't think trades will disappear in 20 years. They will never make machines that can think creatively enough. But I think they'll make cars to be throw-away and recyclable enough that mechanics are limited to oil changes.
>>
>>76766756
You're literally a high-schooler if you think this. If you can't write well by 10th grade you're fucked either way.
>>
>>76771576
I should also note that I work in California with crazy high prevailing wage rates.
>>
Every second person wants to be a tradie here, so it's hard as fuck to get a decent trade, especially since you're mostly battling 16 year old who they pay next to nothing. I was planning to do an electronics trade in the army, but unfortunately previous mental issues disqualified me, so I just gave up and went to uni, but I really wish I hadn't
>>
>>76771596
Corporate management is not stable.
>>
>>76771596
Except in those areas you can benefit white people and influence politics. So they're not useless in that aspect.
>>
>>76770897
Where the two lines meet (supply meets demand) is what wages will be or what that goods will cost in a perfect market.

If some outside force pulls on one of the lines, it will drag the other with it, creating a new point on the graph

TL/DR - Mr Shecklestein uses these theoretical scenarios to pull one over on the goyim
>>
if you're cool with doing labor then trades are fine, but some people go to college because they want a job that requires a degree.

i think the issue is that kids aren't really given much time to figure out what they want to do for the rest of their life, so they get pressured into choosing something early and end up hating it or going into debt getting an education for something they're heart isn't set on.
>>
>>76769165
fucking dying over here
>>
>>76771702
Cars are about to get significantly less mechanically complex.

"Working" on an engine will consist of taking the watermelon-sized engine out of the car, and replacing it with a new unit while shipping the old engine to the manufacturer. It'll be done in 15 minutes.

The only significant wear-and-tear will be brakes and drivetrain. The former getting a little more complicated, and the latter getting simplified.

A lot of (all, in the case of lazy mechanics) diagnostic work will consist of plugging a computer into the car so the car can tell you what's wrong with it.
>>
>>76764635
>Are you contributing or learning skills that will help you contribute in a positive manner?
Then either way is good. Even if you are making a lot of money and helping the GDP it's good.
>Are you wasting time a resources on a thong that will not further society ?
Then you are a waste of space and valuable rescorces
>>
File: 10821507e75a40873d.jpg (106 KB, 500x306) Image search: [Google]
10821507e75a40873d.jpg
106 KB, 500x306
>>76764635
>ALOT
>a lot
HVAC is a trade you learn in prison. You'll be working with niggers and ex-cons. Fuck that shit.
Do yourself a favor and become an electrician, instead.
>>
File: download_20160528_204748.jpg (63 KB, 748x1000) Image search: [Google]
download_20160528_204748.jpg
63 KB, 748x1000
>>76768892
I agree. I've seen this before. Having the field exp. allows you to know the little kinks in design that would take other engineers years of experience to accumulate.

Direct example:
I was designing a Reinforced Concrete roof slab last week, 6m x 25m. I followed code to a T. When I presented my design to be checked over I was told to alter all of my rebar spacing and sizes because contractors "don't typically do it that way". Even though my design met all applicable codes and standards, there was other intracisies involved that can only be known by experience from someone who has completed a design, presented it to a client, got it approved, sent for construction only to later realize that the contractor is not capable of building it to the spec we designed.
TL;Dr:
Real world understanding and hands on experience can be valuable in the engineering world if it's in a supplementary field.

t. Structural engineering student
>>
>>76771490
>Making a good living in the trades is a matter of luck and nepotism already

So true. I would have loved to be an electrician when I was younger, but electricians in my home state were all union and blocked everyone from entering the business who wasn't a nephew, neighbor, or bother of the lady they were banging. Some real grade A scumbag material
>>
>>76767597
electrician or welding

both make lots of money
>>
>>76769008
Law can be solid if you have very good communication skills.
>>
>>76769665
I don't think so. Most of my dad's friends who are plumbers are 45+ and they've seen it all, yet somehow, they still love their job. It seems to be worth it, but it can be intensely difficult if you have a bad knee or a sore back.
>>
Don't fall for the IT meme. It sucks and I'm sick of this career.
>>
File: Crying-Frog-Meme-18.png (117 KB, 500x545) Image search: [Google]
Crying-Frog-Meme-18.png
117 KB, 500x545
>>76767058
What's up TexBro

I just graduated HS early and got an entrance job at some shitty cost containment company as a case worker. I really want to do a trade but I work 40 hours a day (I don't want to lose this job it "looks" really fucking good on a resume) can I work around this?
Also HVAC, electrical, or plumbing?

Any other bros with advice pls
>>
File: 1465507882952.gif (15 KB, 119x150) Image search: [Google]
1465507882952.gif
15 KB, 119x150
>>76769500

>flunk out engineering student

KEK
E
K
>>
>>76764635
Have a bachelor's in admin.
Can't find work. Probably going to trade school in the fall because corporations have decided middle management doesn't need to exist, and I didn't go to college to become a shift leader a mcdicks.
>>
Trades are for chads dont do them if you want a decent wage.
>>
>>76768172
Economics in university exists to obfuscate people's understanding of economics, not improve it. It's like going to school and taking astrology classes - yes, there is some truth to it: The moon does exist, and you've got a cycle that predicts its movement in the visible sky quite accurately, but it won't be accurate if you live in the southern hemisphere, nor will it decide the fate of a child born on a certain day, and it won't tell your fortunes.

You haven't yet figured out that it's actually a large mass of matter in orbit around the earth, traveling at several km/s and tethered to our planet by a force known as gravity.

We haven't had our economic newton or einstein yet. Our understanding of economics is literally astrology-tier.
>>
>>76772813
Fuck, you sons of bitches are the masters of shitposts.
>>
>>76767597
If I went into trades, it would have been electrical.
>>
File: cwa_logo.jpg (243 KB, 808x808) Image search: [Google]
cwa_logo.jpg
243 KB, 808x808
>>76764635
Telephone net tech here
Had no real training besides on the job and schooling the company sent me to.
Company will also pay for me to go to college and get a degree but only if it's communications related.
Started out at 11.50 an hour now I'm at 16 an hour and I only got 3 more years tell I make 32 an hour
I get all the perks
Healthcare, retirement, 401k and lots of vacation and personal days
Honestly trade school is the way to go companies will want someone who went to school for that trade not a broad degree plus you'll proably get certifications at that school or the job you can carry for a life time and never be out of work
For me if I got canned I could still survive and be a contractor or inside telephone repair
And in my field in a couple years we will be needing alot of new people. A couple weeks ago the company looked into the age of techs and the average age was 60 and alot of those guys are getting ready to retire
>>
>trade schools

LOL.

Either way you are fucked.

>Go to trade school
>Learn blue print reading, how to setup up CNC
>Oh look all these jobs that want me now
>Graveyard shift only
>Barely over minimum wage
>Technology soon to be replaced by 3d printing.

Anything that involves physical labor will be replaced by robots within 20 years.

Personally you guys should do what everyone eelse will be doing in a couple of years, become neets, I know it's crazy, but in the end, neets were right.

All those jobs lost to AI, driverless cars, robots. Gotta get with the program humanity, jobs are for robots.
>>
>>76772237
To be fair, I live on the ass end of Florida and my AC went dead I would give out loads of my sheckels to quickly get some guy out to fix it.

If I could find a white guy to do it down here instead of a shady looking Jamaican, he would get all of my repeat business.
>>
>>76770897
Quantity supplied and quantity demanded are different than supply and demand. All this graph is essentially saying is that there is a point of equilibrium in any given market where Qs and Qd are equal and implies that changing one (moving along the given line) affects the other
>>
>>76772730
Yeah stop working 40 hours a DAY, lol.
>>
>>76772801
Wut?

Where are you applying? If you have a business degree and look under the sales listings on careerbuilder, you will land a job inside of 3 days
>>
>>76765099
And I strongly suggest, coming from an engineer, that you consider trade school.

Engineering has become so flooded and H1B'd that you have to do ridiculous things to pull ahead of the pack like pick up a second major, multiple specializations, and of course, multiple internships to get your foot in the door.

Of course, you can earn more, but you have to go through all this pain and become a workaholic when a person doing a trade can get done by 20, and be making the same amount as the person who spent the prime of his life studying how to link together a piece of computer code and signal gates.

I do it because I think its interesting stuff; but if you aren't dedicated and really interested in it; and especially if you want an easy path through life for only marginally less money, go trade.
>>
>>76764635
Went to college and grad school took loans to do it and even majored in a good STEM field. Unemployed now and in debt, wish I had never gone. My job prospects are no better than they were 7 years ago but I had freedom at least being debt free back then.

So yeah trade school is probably a far better course for the vast majority.

For those curious I have a master's in geophysics, lot of good it does me.
>>
HVAC is another flavor of the month job here in Cali too, so many people being ttrained. It's like one area of jobs dies, and then one pops up again and millions of people run to that. There are so many of these jobs to pass around, what happens when the vast majority of screw turning jobs become replaced by robots? Yes, again the robot thing. Cause you faggots fail to realize, that some people, a lot of people will not be working anymore, some people will just not work and will get paid for it too, yeah a universal basic income. Whether you like it or not, it is coming /pol/.
>>
File: 1464015881662.jpg (471 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1464015881662.jpg
471 KB, 2000x1000
>>76770781
>first year micro economics...

Lmfao
>>
>>76768564

Welding will fuck up your eyes and skin though
>>
>>76768893

You gotta be good and have balls you piece of shit. Don't think you can just walk in and do it. Its an actual skill that requires intelligence, physical talent and toughness.

If you are tough, strong and smart, you could make a shitload of money.
>>
>>76773486
It's on its way for two reasons:

1. Fixes stagnation in the economy
2. Makes everyone dependent on the government (e.g. government cuts you off basic income and you're now utterly fucked)

It has too many upsides for our authoritarian corporate-controlled governments to say no to it.
That's why there are so many UBI proposals all of a sudden, and why everyone seems to be doing experiments to test it out.

Within a year or two there will probably be a smaller western nation (finland, sweden, etc.) who will adopt basic income and serve as a test case for enrollment across the rest of the west.
>>
>>76773716
Thats merely joys of ultraviolet radiation caressing you.
>>
>>76773438
>geophysics

What is that even?

I think when most people say "go into stem" they mean engineering, engineering technology, or IT. Of course if you study something that has no real-world applications outside of higher education you will have trouble finding a job.

You could always go into IT with something like that. They will hire you based on the fact that they perceive you to be smart.
>>
Give me your honest opinion and advice

What kind of future am I looking forward to if I major in Electrical Eng at a low tier cal state with a 3.0 GPA ...

Are there jobs for me?

Or should I just drop out and go into trade school?
>>
Star Trek levels of utopia will be soon upon us /pol/, it's sad that we were born 100 years too early, but I believe we will at least get to taste it. What is that taste you ask? The taste is being a free man, not actually having to work. Technology will either save us or destroy us for the lack of. You have to understand, especially places like China, you would think with all those people things would be innovated a lot faster, but nope, they are so money oriented that they just stuck to the old ball game and not innovated worth of shit. So new technologies, I believe at, will not be here when people start looking for new jobs, there will be some gap there and I think that gap leads to universal basic income. THE FUCKING NEETS WERE RIGHT MAN.
>>
>>76770891

but then who will repair the machines that repair the machines?
>>
>>76765835
Hey stupid, blue collar here. I"m on Social Security Disability that if I had a degree and an office job, I would never have qualified for.

For example: If you work with your hands, and you were to lose a hand, you're disabled. Unless you want to be retrained. Then Uncle Sam pays for it.

If you sit on your ass behind a desk and you lose a hand, tough shit, back to work.
>>
>>76768564

just fuck my lungs up senpai
>>
>>76774012
Employers don't give a fuck about your gpa its how your present yourself and self yourself to them. Gpa only matters for grants bursaries and getting into grad school
>>
>>76774012
Literally nobody cares about GPA

They want certification and experience.

The only thing GPA *might* help you with is landing your first job. But if you can show you know how to do it, nobody's gonna care that you have a 2.5 or a 3.0 instead of a 4.0
>>
File: 1464801316682.jpg (584 KB, 868x1149) Image search: [Google]
1464801316682.jpg
584 KB, 868x1149
>>76771706
>>76766756
>>76766498
>>76765099

you're dumb for thinking liberal arts only covers the arts and not STEM
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Be mindful of what you're borrowing and work your dick off to network and get s high GPA

Attain s job at top tier type of company and work your tail off to get a promotion within a few years and shoe in your resume you are capable

Bs
>>
>>76772730
Field experience is always best, but education about the field will get you there.

I went to a local community college that had welding/auto body/hvacr classes available. @ $50/credit hour, you could always pay out of pocket for 1-2 night classes per semester.

Or you can take a 5k loan and get an associates through their 2 year program.
>>
Surprised all the "muh tradez" posters forgot about:
>Mesothelioma
>Back Injury then spinal surgery/pain clinic
>Toxic exposure from touted trades like welding
>having to work around low class proles (not so bad if you are a prole yourself)
>did I forget toxic exposure? There's tons of asbestos in old pipe and boiler lagging, and other "fun stuff"
>what happens when your body is used up? intellectual work gives you a longer viable career, while trades are a young man's game.
>>
File: 1465184787035.png (36 KB, 344x517) Image search: [Google]
1465184787035.png
36 KB, 344x517
>>76772011
I Agree with this. I think high school should go back to a mandatory 5 years, and kids should be forced to take a wider range of courses.

However 95% of the teachers in Canada are lazy motherfuckers who only went into teaching as a last ditch option. They do not give a fuck about the kids, just
>muh vacation
>muh banking and rolling over 18 sick days per year

I don't know if I trust the jobs of today's kids in the hands of today's teachers. Today more than ever parents need to step the fuck up and do their part.
>>
>>76774059

how would you lose a hand in an office job?
>>
>>76765841
You right on about the unrealistic expectations of today's youth thinking they're going to be the Don Draper of whatever chosen field.
But manufacturing is dead in this country. The construction and service industry is the last stronghold of blue collar today.
>>
>>76764635
Went to college (over here you don't get massive loans), never finished it because I didn't care for reproducing massive amounts of useless stuff.
Went to tradeschool and became a boiler technician in one year.
Got work before all my student friends and actually make more in a month now than any of them.

I do have to say, I work 10 hours at least as they do their 8 and get home plus they don't get dirty.
On the other hand I am able to renovate my own house now while they don't have a clue how to start on it.
>>
>>76774012
You should go into ROTC asap and become an air force or naval officer.

Then, after you get out, you will be able to land the fat defense contracts and all the other work you want
>>
File: 1458548441832.jpg (57 KB, 871x960) Image search: [Google]
1458548441832.jpg
57 KB, 871x960
>Go to college
>Get bored of it
>Drop out

>Go to trade school
>Everyone is a retard
>I dont belong there
>Drop out

>Learn to program
>Making 40€k/year
>Companies fight to recruit me
>My highest diploma is high school
>I keep earning more and more every year
>>
>>76773115
don't meme on me please
>>
>>76766461
50 yrs old, dozens of jobs, only one ever aquired by application.
>>
>>76774504
This is actually my plan, but I don't think I'll get admitted to ROTC coz of my gpa.

But I do plan to commission.

Care to clarify what you mean about 'fat defense contracts', I've heard about this too but don't actually know what it is
>>
>>76774059
>I"m on Social Security Disability
Congrats for being on welfare! No, you never "paid into" SS either, as it is a giant Ponzi scheme based on stealing from peter to pay paul. Get a fucking job as a Wal Mart greeter, you bum-I've seen people with no fucking legs even working the registers there.
>>
>>76766498
Yeah I know a guy with an engineering degree. He drives a big brown truck and drops off our packages.
>>
>>76774565
This right here is why working in IT sucks

Linux admins, bronies, and part-time C# programmers aren't too smart for college and too good for trade school, shitlord
>>
>>76766756
Writing and "culture" studies have no value after high school. Nobody is impressed by your 20 page essay on greek mythology.
>>
>>76774285
man for some reason I thought your image was a pug tucked into a bed with a brown pillow
>>
>>76765099
What do I do if the only two degrees I currently could see myself getting are political science and law
not kidding
I went to a good school for one semester, dropped out with shit grades, and worked a good job at a technology company for a year after that, but the job was only a temporary position for a few months. Now I'm signed up for a different good college in the fall, but have no idea what to do once I get there.
>>
>>76774012
Experience and people skills (communication and teamwork ability) trumps grades anyday. Do yourself a favor and try and get some relevant summer term work. It will help 10 fold when applying for full-time work.
>>
>>76774218
Not so much landing your first job, but landing your first interview.

Also, extracurricular activities are weighted much higher than a nominal increase on grades. So get involved at your school, and sell yourself.
>>
>>76770891

On that day the 100000 actually still useful ppl will release the virus to get rid of the mediocre slaves.
>>
>>76772561
This is all dependant on your location.
My welder friends where I live make 12/hr where as I as an electrician make 28/hr while still in training
>>
>>76774565
>>76774951
he makes less than a highschool teacher and wants to brag on an anonymous forum
>>
For the kids out there, if you want to get into a trade, become an airline technician. My friend is one and I wish I got into this field when I was younger.

The perks are so nice (you get to fly everywhere free, your family too) there's always overtime work and if you find something left in a plane, it's yours. It's an impressive sounding trade as well--plebs are impress if you tell them you fix and maintain commercial airliners. It's a solid job all around if you are good working with your hands.
>>
>>76775114
getting a JD isn't that bad just don't be a retard and go somewhere good. Never ever major in political science or "law studies" or whatever they call that bachelors degree and then expect to find a job after 4 years at acme state college.
>>
>>76775129

sadly it has come to this, he is right in a sense.

Basically what my leaf friend meant to say was, you gotta learn how to suck dick and play the game, because in the end it really isn't about teamwork or communication, it's about how much they can fuck you, and how much you can take of that fucking. Very like minded people there, who pretty made their jobs their life, like slaves, who don't go to families anymore at 6 but stay an hour or two after to do more work. Shits for slaves, and one of the reasons why mexicans here are so hated, they take impossible tasks for shit wages. Like I said, like minded people, you can have the greatest grades in the world, but if you don't suck a lot of dick and sacrafice your social life, kids, family, then you dont got the position. Reason why you see so many man children in their late 30s who still wont have a kid, because everything is too expensive, but have no problem buying up stupid trinkers and expensive cars. Fuck your ME generation, it's about to crack and I will be there under it when it breaks.

/rant
>>
>>76774998
Humanities are valuable for tenure track academic positions. Sure, they are vanishingly hard to get, with adjuncts becoming more prevalent, but teaching humanities is a gravy job. Long vacations, paid sabbatical semesters, good pay and benefits, loads of autonomy.

It's like winning the lottery, but not impossible. Shit, community college level tenure doesn't even require publishing.
>>
>>76774745
For instance, a normal A&P mechanic (which is an enlisted job in the service) in the Midwest usually make between 10 - 20 dollars an hour to start. Sometimes they can't find any work in that field. My brother was a recruiter who was looking to pay A&P mechanics with a security clearance (former military) 55 dollars an hour. Even painters and low-level plebs at shipyards make over 30 dollars an hour.

If you can land a project management or supply chain function at one of these defense contractors, you will be literally making over 150k.
>>
>>76766756
>implying liberal arts teach anything about "critical thinking"
>implying it's not indoctrinating every college student of what to think
Because every liberal arts student I know walks out believing the same shit. And if you question them on anything they respond to you with the same thing.
Enjoy your brainwashing and go back to fagdit university.
>>
>1. Went to trade school right of out high school (electrician)
>2. Got my cert in 5 years, worked another 5
>3. Quit my job and flipped houses for a couple years
>4. At 32, now own my own house plus two rental properties (one single and one double)
>5. Semi-retired now with a NEET-level job, gonna flip some more houses within the next few years and plan to be completely retired by 40

Remind me why I was pressured to go to college, again?
>>
File: 1465562172127.jpg (92 KB, 506x395) Image search: [Google]
1465562172127.jpg
92 KB, 506x395
>>76774797
Second this.

Stop being a leech nigger.
>>
>>76768893
Honesty I'm a pretty half assed welder. I'm also incidentally a pretty halfassed mechanic.
Never been to school for either.
I weld rusty car & truck frames & floors back together.
All cash $.
Doing okay.
Advise to OP find your nitch.
>>
>>76775556
I'm almost assuredly dropping out of college here either before or after this coming fall semester. I work IT currently.

I fucking love airports, and I was thinking about working at one, even as a "luggage-lad".

Do you suppose my IT experience is transferable to that?
>>
every field is saturated
>>
File: CAM00286.jpg (295 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
CAM00286.jpg
295 KB, 1536x2048
>>76764635
hell yeah dude nice. i'm a carpenter and its hard work but pay is getting better and its getting easier

just went on a little vacation to south america this winter because i work seasonally

>feels good man
>>
>>76768521
You probably don't or your job isn't as laid back as them. Don't know why anyone would go into a trade when you can make 120k+ in an easy job after university.
>>
>>76764635
Avionics AME here, the pay may have been better if i did a degree but the places ive been and the things ive seen make up for it. Also im becoming a LAME in 2 years time so ill be making ~130k a year from working at my current place.

College isnt for everyone.
>>
>>76775114
Look into becoming a structural designer. It's not a university program, and you don't need to be that smart. Basically you go work with real structural engineers, they say "hey Bill, model these structural members in AutoCAD for me please". And you can be making 100k in hardly anytime at all.
>>
One more thing before I rage quit this fucking place, reading about this stuff pisses me so off. It wasn't supposed to be like this /pol/, this stupid idea of making money out of thing air needed to be stopped, this control on workers needed to be stopped, but now you have peasants fighting over what would be shitty jobs, when it should have been the opposite. You pushed muanity away and cherished corporatism, killed all your unions, now look at you, on 4chan bitching about how your GPA is not enough, of course its not enough now when they control everything.
>>
>>76764635
have fun being a plumber lmao
>>
>>76776127
nope, not carpentry, all the old timers are retiring and none of these pussy faggots can do any work these days
>>
>>76776341
yup, and have fun easily making $100,000 if your not an idiot and you work hard
>>
File: 1452778608215.gif (359 KB, 640x636) Image search: [Google]
1452778608215.gif
359 KB, 640x636
>tfw i come from an family of roofers

>tfw grandfather build up big company, making several millions a year

>tfw my uncle got the company

>tfw retarded liberal uncle spend all of it on retarded hobbies, cars, and other useless stuff, instead of keeping the legacy alife

>tfw grandpa still has 3 big halls for rent on an good place, he makes about 6k Euros a month from it, and he's 87 years old.

>tfw probably if he dies my uncle and father will get it and spend all the money on shit and the legacy dies out

>tfw i wrote a letter to my grandpa that i got an roofer master, ( Doctor Degree in Roofing, carpenting etc)

>mfw he wrote me that i get everything, and his retarded sons nothing

>mfw i cucked my whole family just because i did my job

Hahahaha i fucking love my life.

But guys, don't go to uni if you want to make real money.

Everyone of my friends thinks im poor, just because im a roofer.

Everyone understimates the income of simple workers, we make a hell lot of money.

Now i get almost 90k a year.

On one day if i want to work, i make about 1-2k euros, sometimes more sometimes less.

I can get vacation when ever i want, if i would actually work everyday, which would be worse than auschwitz, i would be rich as fuck.
>>
>>76775774
That is very interesting!

Great money right there, I haven't done my research on the value of a MOS after service, but everyone says Nukes or CTNs make bank afterwards. Now I'm getting an idea why...

My ego doesn't wanna be a POG, but hell it pays.

On the mean time I still plan on commissioning looking forward to a pilot slot hopefully, if not, space operations for the AF or Army.

Recommend any officer jobs that have a good after service job outlook?
>>
>>76771132

Thats the thing though is you have to own your own business, which carries significantly more risk, stress, and time input than just an average trade.

From what I've seen of tradesmen their salaries cap out after a time unless they have very specialized skills for a niche in demand or start a business.
>>
>>76776440
im probably relying on anecdotes, but carpenters were literally the hardest-hit profession during the recession in vegas. during the worst of it, there was literally one group (guild?) of carpenters with work, a group of i think 11 guys.

welders were still employed enough i suppose, but general work crews, scaffolding (mostly carpenters), drillers, excavators, bobcat ops, etc.. all saturated. here at least
>>
File: 1465538142632.jpg (574 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
1465538142632.jpg
574 KB, 800x1200
>>76775664
Yup, CEO of my privately owned, multi billion dollar company is 47 tears old, and started as a chemical process engineer. He got so FUCKED by the job. They had him drag his family (wife and 3 daughters) around to country after country since he started at the company. His one daughters pretty nice but is a slutty spoiled bitch who will never get a real job because she's used to daddys handouts to keep her from thinking about how he emotionally and physically abandoned the family in efforts to "climb the corporate ladder".

Well now he's at the top of that ladder, with a big mansion and an exotic car collection, but his kids are grown up and moved out all day on his money. He doesn't know his family worth shit and all his kids are degenerate retards.
>>
>>76764635
Hey OP, I just took an 8 month HVACR technician program. I loved every minute of it, but I'm not thrilled about working outdoors in 90 degree heat like a plebian.

So now I'm enrolling in an online building automation course so I can just sit around like a NEET for 6 more months. When I finish this course I'll be able to land a comfy HVACR controls job sitting in an office somewhere looking at the refrigerant pressures of walmarts hundreds of miles away. Oh and I'll be able to shitpost on /pol/ on the job too.

I'm extraordinarily excited for this.
>>
Im a carpenter who's getting into layout starting Monday without a engineering degree.

Im good with my math and my foreman wants to give me the chance. Im so hyped.
>Tfw you're only 21
>>
>>76772144
You're an idiot. Cars have been getting more technical every year since the model T.
How are there going to be less steering and suspension components?
There are bushings, bearings, seals and wear items everywhere throughout the car that need to be maintained/ replaced.
Are you really so dence that you think engine trouble even accounts for even 5% of mechanical work on a car?
You obviously don't get your hands dirty or you would have some kind of grasp how wear and tear effects things over time.
Go back to reading your popular mechanics.
>>
File: 2hePSj1s8it7p.gif (27 KB, 195x195) Image search: [Google]
2hePSj1s8it7p.gif
27 KB, 195x195
>>76769165
>>
>>76764635
Trade schools can you net you a far higher paying job than college for any non STEM major (and even for some STEM majors).
>>
>>76775990
>Do you suppose my IT experience is transferable to that?

I wouldn't know, Anon sorry. My friend got into the field by going through a high school that was certified by the FAA to train Aircraft Maintenance Technicians.
>>
>>76777276
if you can rattle off your division tables no sweat, you're already more competent than every one of your coworkers. i like carpenters, but after a scaffolding fell down on a job site once, i dont trust them as i used to. might have been the fault of the team that secures them to building, but i dunno

>asbestos inspector here
>>
>>76777045
Also does anyone with experience in the field think this is a good strategy I am taking here? Please keep in mind I live in Florida so there is a very high demand for HVACR type jobs, including controls positions.

HONESTLY, the demand is so high I might be able to land a job without taking the building automation course, but the allure of being a NEET for 6 more months is just too great, especially with top tier political memes on the horizon.
>>
>>76777505
Man, that sucks. I was more set on going into the Elevator Technician trade, but another anon in a thread before this told me that it's pretty corrupt and ridiculously hard to get in as an outsider.

I really, really want to go into a trade, or optimally something in IT that doesn't require me to go through fucking years of bullshit and horseshit and every other kind of shit.

I mean ffs, my whole dream has just been to work at a contracting firm providing IT support internationally. But that's infeasible for me, so I say fuck it, I'll go trade, because I'm one who enjoys working with his hands, but apparently most trades that I'm interested in are fucking corrupt with fucking mexican families and unions and fucking shit.

You just can't fucking win.
>>
>>76774413
Well I spent 2 1/2 months in the hospital and didn't run into a single person there who was hurt on the job, and neither was I.
>>
>>76777445
That is honestly the impression I get.

People get STEM degrees because they want a job that requires it.

Some get STEM degrees for the money but the truth is you can get paid more, for less time in school, with a larger window of growth, you just gotta get your hands dirty instead of sitting behind a cubicle, playing with your peter popper all day.
>>
>>76777276
Good stuff man. Some of my best friends at work are layout specialists.

t. Structural engineering student
>>
>>76777603
just remember that the money is why you have the chance/willpower to work in 90F heat. if it was pleasant, it wouldnt pay more than 12/hr.

conversely, env consulting is similarly rough work. i get paid ~2-4k less than my engineering colleagues, but it was way easier to get a job as an env scientist rather civil eng.
>>
>>76777916
>I was more set on going into the Elevator Technician trade
lel, otis tech
>>
>>76777777
>>
>>76764635
Combine it.

Do something like joining an electrical union journeyman program.

Get experience so you know what you are doing.

Off time get your AA in pre engineering.

Bite the bullet and get your EE degree

Start your own shop.

They can't out source your job to india
>>
/pol/, I'm trying to figure out what I want to do, which of these jobs will be replaced by robots and computers in the future: http://www.careerprofiles.info/top-100-careers.html
>>
>people flood colleges

wages drive to the ground, college degrees become worthless

>people flood trades

wages drive into the ground, more competition, less people willing to train apprentices

fact is, there's just too many people for the dwindling job supply.
>>
>>76776768
I was in the navy when I was younger, bro. Obviously everyone is different, but if you are in college, you should stick it out and finish your degree before you consider the service. If you have a choice, stay in school and get a commission. I loved being in the Navy, but being a commissioned officer is 10 times better in terms of quality of life AND job prospects when you get out. CTs are enlisted. If you had a commission that job title would be cyber warfare officer or something like that.

If you are serious, I highly recommend ROTC if your uni has it. You can try out the military-style life without committing to anything (at first at least). You may have to have high grades to get the ROTC scholarship, but, as far as I know, anyone who is physically capable and academically eligible at the university can participate. You just won't get the money to pay for schooling.

At any rate, good luck with all that.
>>
>>76777988
What's "env"?
>>
>>76774797
Yeah, when I spent 7 1/2 months straight working 60 - 90 hrs a week and uncle sam was taking over a third of my check, that didnt count as paying in?
>>
>>76778279
environmental

http://www.indeed.com/cmp/Frog-Environmental/jobs/Environmental-Field-Consultant-Full-Time-8bca642d19d62633?q=Environmental+Consultant

typical job reqs
>>
>>76774565
>companies fight to recruit me
>only make 40k a year

Jesus, you must be really bad at negotiating your salary then.
>>
>>76778213

So what's the solution, then? One child policy like China?
>>
>>76764635
bet you wish you were smarter :/

now fix my fridge for $15/hr you pleb
>>
I'm almost 22 and disillusioned with uni/college - is it too late to join the trade school masterrace?
>>
>>76777028

sounds a lot like my uncle, not baller rich but he managed to own a nice house after working all his life here in los angeles. I still remember him telling us how friends were worthless and to keep to your job. The day he actually got let go of the job , when he was old and about to retire is the day when he realized he was wrong. He only found out after his daughter turned into a lesbian and basically said "You made me hate men" and moved far away and his only son who at 20 years of age does not have a drivers license, why? Not because he wants to ride the bike, because he finds it too scary to drive. He has tried couple of times and has failed and basically given us. This is the dude who will get his hard work LOL. We have made it a huge joke in the family, that in the end he was the one who got screwed the most, yeah he had all his classic cars and gadgets, but he is miserable.
>>
I wish I'd fallen for the trades meme. But I have no idea how to get into them. Might just end up being a factory wagecuck.
>>
22 and I'm enrolling in suicide after I've shitposted for another 7 years. Have fun with the shitty planet while I'm dead.
>>
>>76778285
Sorry pal, but your money disappeared into a black hole. There is no SS fund, and those who receive SS "bennies" do so with money taken out of other's pockets-not what they supposedly "paid into it". It doesn't matter if you worked 20 years in a salt mine-the gov in a con artist, and you were scammed, but that doesn't entitle you to anything.
>>
It's not a bad idea. One thing you need to consider is that trades are hard fucking work and your knees and back will be shot the fuck up by the time you're 40. Unlike engineering, the trades are a great way to become self-employed. A buddy of mine is a self-employed plumber with no boss. He's not rolling in dough but he's making like 90k a year which is pretty damn good, especially considering he has no college debts he has to pay back. He puts ads in the newspaper and word around town got out that he's got a good rep. Owns his own van and buys his own materials, and he doesn't have to ask a boss or a shitty union for permission to get what he needs. Another friend of mine owns an HVAC business and he's rolling in dough. Guy just bought a really goofy pink lambo for his daughter. I question his taste and spending habits, but there's no denying he's doing really well for himself. The trades are a great way to break into becoming self-employed if that's your thing.

I personally am going to community college to learn electrical, while does take a bit of physical exertion, it's not nearly as bad as HVAC, carpenty, or plumbing as far as stressing your body out goes.
>>
File: pyramid_scheme.png (140 KB, 504x320) Image search: [Google]
pyramid_scheme.png
140 KB, 504x320
college is a scam and a pyramid scheme. trade schools are a good investment if youre really set on what you want to do.
>>
>>76778415
Ahh sorry. I did a shadowing project in 2nd year civ eng under a water flood plane mapping consultant. It was pretty cool IMO. I didn't select any water treatment classes for next year because I hated the chemistry aspect of it that I was exposed to in my third year.
>>
>>76778526
>needing someone to fix your fridge for $15 an hour instead of just buying a new samsung with 22" touch screen

And you're calling him the poorfag.
>>
>>76772144
>A lot of (all, in the case of lazy mechanics) diagnostic work will consist of plugging a computer into the car so the car can tell you what's wrong with it.

Except there will still be plenty of older cars on the road that will still require real diagnostic and repair skills. Mechanic jobs aren't going anywhere any time soon.
>>
>>76778639
Its super hard in a lot of areas of the US because you have to be affiliated with a union to even get your foot in the door with most of the trades. And as everyone here probably knows, Union bosses are nepotistic scumbags. If you don't personally know any, or aren't a token minority, you're probably not going to have a good time. I can't imagine it would be any easier in Europe, but I can't really say.
>>
>>76778639
I don't know if this is possible in Britain, but in America you either apply for a union apprenticeship (not recommended desu) or you can just cold call a bunch of plumbing/electrical/HVAC companies and ask if they're looking for helpers who are hopefully looking to become an apprentice. Tell them you have your own tools, and if they hire you, go buy the tools you need.
>>
Going to college for the "experience" is a waste of both your personal resources and the institution's time.

I am currently working on my master's degree in nursing with a goal of being a pediatric nurse practitioner. I needed to go to college as a requirement and assurance to further patients that I have been formally schooled and certified in medicine.

There is nothing wrong with trade schools. Ceiling of pay is probably lower--barring owning a successful personal business which is a crap shoot and competitive as fuck--but it's far better than wasting four years at a state school ending up with a useless degree in medieval literature and a few STDs.
>>
>>76767058
>20 bucks an hhour
thats it?
jesus I thought u guys were at least making 60k a year
>>
>>76778624
Exactly. There has to be a balance. People need to sit down and get their priorities properly organized before getting sucked into a life absorbing career that fucks your personal life and family life completely up.
>>
>>76764635
Universities should be for two kinds of people: those who really wish to get into a profession which demands years of academic study, and total nerds who already read academic tomes in their spare time.

The majority of current students don't fall into either group and mostly just enjoy their time taking easy classes and getting drunk.
>>
>>76773716
>Welding will fuck up your eyes and skin though

If you were the correct PPE you will be fine.
>>
>>76778245
Thanks for the input man, I'll definitely go talk to them (ROTC admins)
>>
>>76779172
if you think i'm going to increase the bill for talking, you're dead wrong. go get your wrench, faggot.
>>
>>76779089
Not always. One of my roommates is a nurse anesthetist. They make BIG money and can get hired in any state they have a license almost on the spot. He got paid 30 bucks an hour as a 2 year RN, then worked up to a masters. Medical shit is a racket right now.

Yes I know about the male nurse thing..
>>
>>76779230
It's like those $100k longshoremen who shut down the ports when they don't get their way, and actually "pass down" their jobs to their fucking family members. Basically, a medieval guild mentality coupled with pure nepotism is found in many trades.
>>
>>76779401
Not that anon but another TX anon. In some spots of Texas---mostly east or west texas--20 bucks a hour is pretty good. I live in a college town in west Texas, making about 32/hr and I could easily afford a three bed room/two bath house, car payments on my new Jeep Wrangler and still save in my 403b/silver.
>>
I just went to a community college, got an internship and now my job will give me tuition reimbursement for the last 2 years of my 4-year.
>>
>>76779230
The first thing you're doing wrong is trying to get into the trades through the unions.
>>
>>76779780
well of course if what you want to do actually requires college then theres no choice
>>
>>76766756
they don't

>"critical thinking"
>>
>>76773529
Literally the only thing you need to know, the rest is math.
>>
I often wish I had become a plumber instead of a lawyer.

I think it would be very easy for someone who is smart, driven, honest, friendly, and punctual to make a ton of money owning his own plumbing company. I say that because most plumbers are the exact opposite - so it really wouldn't take much to build up a great reputation around town.

Oh well, here's hoping for reincarnation...
>>
>>76778592
Please respond
>>
>>76768790
unemployed english major detected
>>
>>76780411

>Would rather deal with literal shit instead of just figurative shit.

Did you pass the bar? Even being a small town attorney must beat the alternatives.
>>
File: (you).jpg (15 KB, 234x230) Image search: [Google]
(you).jpg
15 KB, 234x230
>>76769228

haha, because everyone else is kneeling
>>
>>76779477

Mhm. It is one of those things in my life that I was glad to see, someone who you thought was Golden turned into bullshit right before our families eyes, and it felt good, cause we knew it was wrong.

What makes it worse, the people who are coming here (In Los Angeles for example), i'm not gonna name races or ethnicities, but they are coming and are very money oriented. Family comes second, they are not american values, at least not in my mind. They are coming here, poor, greedy developers, rich transplants from other countries with this mindset. I know my fly over states here in the country do not see it, but it's RAMPANT here, so much that I fear for the country.
>>
Trades>college currently in Europe anytime.

I know a guy who wanted to get into electric engineering, the best college and hardest one to get in my country, literally the best go there.

He didn't make it, instead of going to second best one he went to "acquire trade" and became welder(like his father).

Now he works in Sweden, not easy job, but makes shit ton of money, whenever he comes back during summer he is loaded,more money than his stem brehs.

I thought I would go to 5 year Mechanical Engineering, hard uni aswell, but instead gona take the easy routine, Mechatronics 3 years bachelor degree and have secured and good paying job in Sweden, Norway, Germany....
>>
File: Mike-Brown-Graduation.jpg (426 KB, 1656x2500) Image search: [Google]
Mike-Brown-Graduation.jpg
426 KB, 1656x2500
>>
>>76780646
Only just - I took it in February. I've thought about being a small town attorney, but the problem there is that those guys typically practice in places where their family has been for generations. I, unfortunately, have no such local roots.

Plus, I just think it would be way cooler to be a blue collar guy, particularly a blue collar guy that makes a lot of money, but isn't all flashy and snobby about it.
>>
>>76777518
My specialty is more in stairs and loose form work. ( I work for a big form company here) and yeah like I said I got my math down. Just always double check it to make sure, ya know ?
>>
>>76778592
No.
>>
>be 19
>make >£200 day exploiting retards through internet marketing
>literally 'single moms near you' sort of shit
>get to pursue interests in machine learning without having to worry about getting job or racking up debt (I pay for uni outright)

you're all faggots get on the gravy train
>>
File: 1454822343415.jpg (225 KB, 735x1065) Image search: [Google]
1454822343415.jpg
225 KB, 735x1065
>>76780849
>>
>>76765099
>not an insult. I went to trade school.
And you're an idiot.
>>
>>76780892
Why not just buy a plumbing company?

Go find some plumber who knows what he's doing, offer to be 50/50 partners, give him your lawyermoney and buy into it.
>>
>>76781001
Thanks buddy
>>
File: 1455344617926.png (255 KB, 319x317) Image search: [Google]
1455344617926.png
255 KB, 319x317
>>76775018
i see it lol
>>
>>76781087
Teach me your ways
>>
>>76771756
Was speaking to a mate who's a sparky and he reckons once youre mature age its smooth sailing to get into trades cause there is a fuckload of gov subsidies and they recognise you're probably gonna be less of a shit kicker than a 16yr old who gets pissed every weekend
>>
>>76781087
you gotta teach me senpai.
At least point me in the right direction.
>>
>>76768077
What do you do? Nearly same story here. Went for a few years, ducked out with 10k debt and I'm now in construction. Started out doing actual manual labor but a year later I'm a asst project manager making about 30/hr.
>>
>>76780892

I am heading to law school and planning on starting out working for an existing firm, should I not go into prosecution. I am too politically conservative for defense.
>>
>>76765099
STEM is worthless, unless you're in Engineering or Medicine you're not going to make enough money to raise kids. Avoid the STEM meme at all cost no matter how hard the associate profs push >muh bacteriophage or >muh Chem+MBA

t. Biochem/Microbiology major, 4th year
>>
Welder for the Boilermakers. It's pretty good, you get treated really well and paid really well. The only shit thing is that you're out of town a lot.
>>
File: vQlOJTT.jpg (69 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [Google]
vQlOJTT.jpg
69 KB, 1000x500
>>76770785
Try harder retard. I made $180k doing Hvac in Seattle last year. When you count in the company truck I take home plus the benefits on top, it's well over that.
>>
>>76768384
Plumbers do make great money but goddamn it seems like a horrible job. The ones I've known, mostly in restoration business, end up spending 8 hours crawling under 100+ year old houses. You can make about the same and not spend all day on your hands and knees in the dirt with other trades.
>>
>>76770785
>plumber's dont get paid anywhere near $200,000 a year
look up the income of a master plumber you dumb faggot
>>
>>76781481
I don't know about that, at least here. Engineering and IT both pay very well in the US at this point.

I get that a lot of Canadians go make 150k a year on the rigs (or used to), but that type of thing is not normal at all here.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.