[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
farm subsidies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: corn-wrapped-in-money-fb[1].jpg (57 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
corn-wrapped-in-money-fb[1].jpg
57 KB, 1200x630
What is the libertarian position on farm subsidies? A friend who has family in the farm business says that without farm subsidies, most farms would go belly up when droughts or flooding occurs. I was unaware that farm subsidies could be used as insurance in this way. Is this something the government continue to provide?
>>
>>75271972
>What is the libertarian position on farm subsidies?

Gee, I wonder.

>A friend who has family in the farm business says that without farm subsidies, most farms would go belly up when droughts or flooding occurs. I was unaware that farm subsidies could be used as insurance in this way.

If they want insurance they can purchase it with their own money like the rest of us. Meanwhile, they should find ways to mitigate the losses from droughts and floods instead of begging the government for a handout or manage their money wisely so a bad year doesn't bankrupt them.
>>
>>75271972

how the fuck do you think you can buy a gallon of milk for $5 without farm subsidies genius?

without farm subsidies food prices would skyrocket and be extremely expensive during a bad year or a bad harvest

while I absolutely loath mandatory health insurance I agree with farm subsidies 100%. How often does one goes to the hospital vs. How often does one need to eat?
>>
>>75273593
Why is that a bad thing? The market determines the prices of every other product.
>>
>>75272617
I think the question is, is there something inherent about the agricultural industry that requires government intervention? I was wondering why the government is providing insurance
>>
File: harvest.jpg (2 MB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
harvest.jpg
2 MB, 1500x1000
>What is the libertarian position on farm subsidies?
No subsidies period. Farmers grew food without them for thousands of years. Some subsidies are the government paying farmers to not grow food.
> A friend who has family in the farm business says that without farm subsidies, most farms would go belly up when droughts or flooding occurs.
No farm subsidies does not mean the farmland would disappear after a drought and all knowledge of agriculture would vanish into thin air.
>I was unaware that farm subsidies could be used as insurance in this way. Is this something the government continue to provide?
About 75 percent of total subsidies go to the biggest 10 percent of farming companies, including Riceland Foods Inc., Pilgrims Pride Corp., and Archer Daniels Midland.
Big Government is Big Crime.
>>
>>75273593
>without farm subsidies food prices would skyrocket and be extremely expensive during a bad year or a bad harvest
Or people would buy something else to eat grown from somewhere else. People with extra money to burn would pay a slightly higher price that year for their favorite food. A drought in California doesn't affect Midwest crops. When is the last time you bought a US grown banana?
>>
Other countries subsidising their food and selling it to shittier countries destroys them, since local farmers just can't compete
>>
>>75273593
This makes no sense. Sure the cost without subsidy would go up slightly, but not by more than we're already paying in taxes to subsidize it.
>>
>>75271972
>What is the libertarian position on government interference in an otherwise free market?
What do you think?
>>
>>75279562
I understand the general position on subsidies, I was just surprised to learn it can be provided as a form of insurance against bad weather conditions ruining crops and similar scenarios. And I'm curious about why the government is intervening in the first place.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.