[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Your country and alcohol
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: big gulp.jpg (192 KB, 710x398) Image search: [Google]
big gulp.jpg
192 KB, 710x398
What is the drinking culture like in your country? I am particularly interested if certain races actually have higher genetic alcohol tolerances, or if the social environment just encourages heavier drinking and thus people who can better handle their liquor

I'd say for Americans, drinking to get very drunk is normal and encouraged. Alcoholism is pretty common, but not really talked about. Having traveled Europe pretty extensively, I'd say Americans are pretty good drinkers overall, but we tend to get obnoxious when drunk

What's your country like?
>>
>>74820626
I think it is much more regional than that.
as in it depends a lot on specifically where you are.
in upper middle class areas drinking is heavily frowned upon.
In Utah it is borderline illegal
out here in the west drinking is fairly well accepted, whiskey is a big part of "cowboy" culture
beer seems pretty universal
>>
>>74820626
Drinking is a pretty widespread habit around Mexico that's been pretty enforced by macho culture; it's manly to drink, and it's manly to drink a lot without getting drunk.
Among youths, it's a widespread practice through all social classes; the poorest kids buy shit alcohol for a dollar fifty a liter and get drunk at public football courts, and the rich kids attend house parties and clubs to get drunk. The result is the same on both ends, though.
Among older Mexicans, though, it decreases significantly with higher income and education; that is, more educated and richer persons tend to drink less (way less) than poor, uneducated ones.
Alcoholism isn't that much of a problem, except for people living in very shit conditions.
>>
>>74821007
That's true, it varies a lot by region here, but I'd say that even in upper middle class neighborhoods drinking is pretty popular. Successful dad with stressful job drinks a lot to unwind and passes it on to kids, or rich kids in general party a lot

I remember traveling through Utah and getting even beers was a pain. Haven't been to bars there, but heard drinks can't be made in sight of the customers or something
>>
>>74821383
Mexico just seems like such an awful place to live
>>
>>74821456
it can actually be pretty tight as a white guy...

Lot's of hot mexican pussy, and a lot of them dig white guys.

There are some really nice areas and your money guys waaay further down there.
>>
>>74820626

> americans are good drinkers

Haha, sure thing bud ;)
>>
>>74821456
It depends, but overall it's kinda shitty, yeah.
I was lucky enough to be born and raised by parents with a higher-than-average income, but even under such circumstances your lifestyle is heavily influenced by all the shit going around.
My greatest complaint about mexico is the insecurity. I could deal with pretty much everything else if it felt safe to walk home during nighttime.
What's cool is that money guarantees a lifestyle way more comfortable than the same money (proportionally) would get you elsewhere.
>>
>>74821383
Sounds pretty similar to U.S. way of doing things

>>74821767
just came back from Bayern and drank everyone under the table except for a beer brewer I met, come to NYC, people can drink
>>
>>74821007
>in upper middle class areas drinking is heavily frowned upon.
nigger, wut?
>>
>>74821898

Yeah totally man, I just came back from America and nobody could keep up with me, even your wife's son who's a pretty spritely fellow.
>>
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1099493/Nine-year-old-child-drunk-New-Zealand-park.html

Need I say more...?
>>
>>74820626
americans are a bunch of fat alcoholics. so yeah we can drink
>>
genetics plays a big role.

I might be fucking up the science here so do your own research, but people of european heritage have a genetic allele that produces an enzyme which helps them digest alcohol before it hits the bloodstream.

asians typically have a hard time with booze, and they get all flushed in the face after a couple drinks.

alcoholism is also linked to genetics, which is why doctors ask you if you've had alcoholic family members.
>>
File: nativeculture.jpg (45 KB, 615x411) Image search: [Google]
nativeculture.jpg
45 KB, 615x411
>not drinking listerine
>2016
>>
>>74822010
no need to be hostile
>>
>>74820626
It's very hard to Be viewed as a drinking Addict i'd say if you're above 10 pints a day they might consider it problematic but drinking daily is very common in Belgium.
>>
>>74822023
impressive

>>74822033
>asians typically have a hard time with booze, and they get all flushed in the face after a couple drinks.

Asians have a harder time with booze, but I always hear about Korean businessmen who get so fucked up they literally can't get home. They still party hard kek
>>
>>74822042
I actually had a coworker who would show up and start drinking by 10 in the morning. He had mouth wash in his desk and would just sneak it throughout the day, be hammered by 5. He sent out this long email to the whole company saying he was an alcoholic, etc. What impresses me is he was still a pretty good marketing guy even though he was apparently drunk the whole time
>>
>>74820626
here you're allowed to drink when you turn 16
hard alcohol with 18

I've seen my fair share of alcohol addicts when I was a medic:
blood shot eyes, twitching and perspiring all the time.
imo it's on the same level as heroin addicts, maybe even worse.

on the other hand, culture kind of forces you to drink here (of course, if you don't drink nobody's going to force you, but you get eyed weirdly).
worked for a job where the whole team went out drinking every friday and every time there was something to celebrate (like another successful deployment of our product... and we had a lot of 'em)
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.