[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /po/ it's my first time quilling, how does this whale
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /po/ - Papercraft & Origami

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Hey /po/ it's my first time quilling, how does this whale look? Any advice?
>>
I'm sure you already know but try not to crimp or crease any of the teeny papers next time. Looking pretty good!
>>
For a first time that's really a great job, my own first experiments looked awful.

As for a little criticism... I think the color composition is a bit too "random", probably it would look more coherent(?) if you use seperate hues for the water and the whale body (or at least don't use blueish on the wale body, to seperate the main elements more clearly).

And it looks like your paper could be heavier; quilling almost generally looks better with thicker paper. And it's comfier to work with because it's stiffer, so the coils unroll better and it doesn't crumple so easily.
>>
>>537724
Yeah color is not my strongsuit but I'll totally working that thank you! Any paper type recommendations?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>537720
Oh wow I did that a lot, thank you for telling me this! Pic related is the tool I use, it's hard to use it without crimping because the paper falls off. Any tool recommentmdations at all? Or am I just being dumb.
>>
File: quillingpen.jpg (26 KB, 694x506) Image search: [Google]
quillingpen.jpg
26 KB, 694x506
>>537729
Yeah, those fork-like tools are for thick cardstock, also great for quilling with other materials like gumpaste (for decorating cakes and such). For normal/medium not so much because of the shape.

This is what I'm using, it's better for medium paper weights (like up to about 160g/m2) because it has a cylinder form with a slot in it, so it's easier to make more consistent coils. But at the same time you're obviously more limited with paper types because the slot is pretty narrow. With some practice you can use the needle side for thicker cardstock, that way you also get rid of the inevitable crease at the start which you get with slotted tools.
>>
wtf is this u rtard
>>
>>537731
It's paper, are you dumb?
>>
>>537730
Oh cool, I'm guessing those tools will be expensive though because art. But i'll get them anyways because I honestly really really like quilling, like I predicted I would. Though my shapes look a bit repetitive ;( . Is it possible to quill without tools? I think that would be super interesting.
>>
>>537731
It's quilling, it's when you roll paper and make different shapes with the paper to form a picture. It's papercraft.
>>
>>537735
My quilling pen (the top one with the pink rubber grips) wasn't expensive at all, just a few euros. And that was from a local hobby shop in Germany, you can get all the tools dirt cheap online because quilling is quite "popular" in Asia.

Well, you don't even need dedicated tools (I started with toothpicks, then with a chopstick where I cut the slot myself) but it's so much more convenient if you have them. Other stuff like stencil boards, 3d forms, fringers and crimpers are also neat and expand what you can do to the paper a lot. And one thing I wouldn't ever want to miss again is a precision glue bottle or whatever they are called like. And a bunch of tweezers with different shapes, but if you do other papercraft you probably have them already.

The biggest cost factor are precut strips, at least I haven't found a decent source for them yet so I cut them myself from cheap cardboard.
>>
>>537738
Oh, thank you! I have never papercrafted before until I came to /po/. The first thread I saw was a quilling thread and that's how I found out about it. It's the only thing I've down paper craft related. I'm not sure if art stores her carry many quilling items because I live in America and no one ever mentions quilling that much it's not too popular here but I will definitley check! Thanks!
>>
< script > looks good... </ script>
>>
Hey OP, still alive? Any new projects to show off? Or shall we let this thread rest in pieces?
>>
>>539277
Unfornunatley I do not have any new quilling projects to show off because I have not gotten my hands on quilling paper. However I do have a paper cut out project that I did if you would like to see.
>>
>>539288
Not that anon but sure, let's keep this thread alive anons
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.