[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>LIGHT STANDS Hi /p/ I need to purchase a few portable light
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
>LIGHT STANDS

Hi /p/

I need to purchase a few portable light stands.. Is it really worth buying Profoto or Broncolor light stands?

I need something high quality and reliable, though I am a bit skeptical about the $150 USD price tag of the Profoto and Broncolor options.

Are there any other brands that are regarded as the best choice? And just to be clear, I am looking for PORTABLE light stands, so those extremely heavy C stands wont work for me.

I will be using Speedlights, so I will ALSO need some flash brackets so that I can attach my Nikon speedlights to the stand aswell as hold in some umbrellas..

Same question for the bracket and umbrella options, these will be for paid gigs and reliability is my number 1 concern.

Thanks

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeJoint Photographic Experts Group
Camera ModelJpeg File
Camera SoftwareCapture One 6 Macintosh
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2014:10:16 15:43:23
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2014:10:16 15:43:23
Image Width550
Image Height550
>>
>>2803807
Have you looked at Manfrotto?

Also Chinese manufacturers do stuff like this really cheap and just as good if you can find it where you are.
>>
>>2803807
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101-traveling-light.html
>>
There's not much to a light stand especially if you're only using it to hold a hotshoe flash and umbrella - that isn't a heavy load, the only considerations you should make are maximum height requirement and portability. As you can imagine there is a trade off between the two. Regardless of what you buy, keep in mind that an umbrella on a lightstand will blow over very easily, put something heavy on the legs if you're outside.

Personally I have a few Lumopro LP605s, they fold down to about 600mm with a hot shoe swivel adapter mounted, are light weight and still reasonably high. I do have one cushioned ~4m stand if I need something higher but it is not something I could take anywhere without a car.
>>
you don't need a huge light stand (or even a normal sized one) for speedlights

google "nano stands" and get one of those.
>>
YOU SERIOUSLY FUCKING DEVOTED A THREAD TO LIGHT STANDS?

Holy christ. Gear thread. Stupid questions thread. Google even!

Stop being cancer anon.
>>
>>2804031
Yeah, the guy being kind, and talking about photography related items is the cancer, not the dude attacking him, being a dick, and contributing nothing but a bad attitude.

Not every thread has to appeal to you personally, you know. This isn't a "Post things that make that one anon happy" board.
>>
>>2804032
>implying it's a "make me happy thing"
>This isn't a "Post things that make that one anon happy" board.
No, it's a photography critique board, not fucking consumer reports (oh look, this point is even covered in the sticky! Cute, incidentally how going against the sticky while breaking a board rule is "being nice", but whatever). It's also a slow board where it's normal for threads to be pulled from page 10, remaining active. Another thread is now dead because of this, just as for the last couple of weeks we've had a new spate of these literally worthless one question threads (which incidentally, letting this pass without comment encourages, but I guess let's further destroy any idea this board is for photography critique and just get rid of photo threads all together, right?)

I bet you're also that idiot who I saw posting about the RPT not being for critique.
>>
>>2804039
>No, it's a photography critique board
Where is it suggested in any of the descriptions of this board that it's a photo critique board?

Photos should be critiqued when they're posted (yes, even in the RPT) but there is a lot to photography that isn't photos, too. Get the fuck over yourself. Minimize the thread, and contribute positively to threads that contain the content you enjoy. If it doesn't exist, create it. You don't own or run this board. Your personal impression of what it should be doesn't matter to anyone but you.

I'll also point out that the thread was on its way off the board and there hadn't been a reply in over four hours, but you brought it back to the top just to complain about it.

Please consider a trip so that you and your ignorant ridiculous rage can be filtered
>>
>>2804043
>I'll also point out that the thread was on its way off the board and there hadn't been a reply in over four hours,
It was the first post on the second page when I bumped it retard. That's part of my point, there are literal threads that are weeks old that are still active that this kind of shit kills. There's a fucking reason we have a gear thread.

>it's not what you
Actually, it literally exactly is what I'm saying it is.

>should be doesn't matter to anyone but you
Yeah, fuck what the sticky and board rules say, THIS MUST BE /G/ WITH CAMERAS!

>there is a lot to photography that isn't photos
I don't disagree, but riddle me this, how exactly does this not fit in the gear thread?

>ignorant
You literally have no clue what that word means.
>ridiculous rage
Because I'm actually frothing from the mouth right now. That's exactly how this works, everyone knows that.
>can be filtered
why don't you trip so all of us that give the slightest damn about this board can filter your shit threads about a lightstand that you can't be assed to google or when you decide you want to attempt to justify your retarded assed reasons for further damaging one of the few remaining places where one can actually get critique?

Oh, because you don't take pictures, you only post in gear threads.
>>
>>2804031
I'd argue lighting is worth a separate thread considering most of the people who regularly post in the gear threads are mouth breathing retards who have no idea how important light is to a picture.
>>
>>2804052

Make as many threads as you want. It's not his board any more than it is mine or yours.
>>
File: ANe6piC.jpg (56 KB, 436x428) Image search: [Google]
ANe6piC.jpg
56 KB, 436x428
>>2804051
Bump for a great thread
>>
>>2804052
Lighting isn't a light stand thread retard.
>>2804055
Good way to get a ban, but go for it.
>>2804057
Too bad the pic isn't true in this case. "Being nice" is how the tragedy of the commons happens. As for bumping, like it matters, the damage is done.
>>
>>2804117
>Good way to get a ban, but go for it.

Posting on-topic threads is a good way to get banned?

News to me.
>>
>>2804119
>implying they're on topic
>>
>>2804124
Asking about light stands on a photo board is LESS "on topic" to photography than rage posting about how you don't like what others are posting? Please justify that.
>>
>>2804129
>implying I've got anything to justify
But here, I'll play your game, but before I do, let's back up for a moment. The only real objection anyone can have with what I'm posting in this thread is that I'm being a dick, but let me teach you a little life lesson here: being nice doesn't make you right, nor does being mean make you wrong. I'm being a dick in kind to OP being a dick.
>wait what? how was OP a dick? they were all nice and shit in their post!?
OP didn't bother showing the respect of learning the first bit of board culture, reading the rules or the sticky, or lurking for more than a handful of minutes -- or worse yet, OP did know that doing something like this was strongly looked down upon, and went ahead.

This does not deserve a nice response, this does not earn pleasantries.

But to the topical nature of the posting: I'm posting about the actual rules and the sticky at the top of this page that OP so blithely ignored, you know the one that says to put shit like this in the Gear Thread?

And come the fuck on, do you honestly, truly want a /p/ that's populated with posts that are literally easily answerable in a single reply? Man, lotta good photography discussion going on there...

Oh but again, you literally don't give a shit about this board and just see it as a place to shitpost with no regard.

Places like this go bad because no one gives a shit. The noise outweighs the signal. Are you going to keep being a part of the problem or maybe improve this board just a little bit?
>>
>>2804146
So none of that relates to how you being a weeping urethra is better for the board than people who want to talk about photography.
>>
>>2804150
No matter how many times you attempt to recharacterize it and how many times you try to be creative insulting me, asking what light stand to buy will never be "talking about photography" in any defensible sense of the phrase.
>>
>>2804159
Talking about light stands is infinitely more "photography" than complaining about posts you don't like on 4chan. It's much less photography than photos, for instance, but still much much much better than "Stop posting about things that I disagree with"

And a positive attitude, in combination with helpful information, will always be better for a community's growth than running around with a verbal machete attacking anyone you don't think fits your fascist view of what the board should be. Want more photo threads? Post them.
>>
>>2804167
Nope.
>complaining
Nope, not complaining, educating. OP and you (haha, like you're not OP) still seem to have little clue what this board is actually for, or you maybe you do and realize just how factually wrong you are and that's why you keep skirting around the topic playing silly buggers with semantics.
>stop posting about things that I disagree with
Are you really that daft to think it's just me or even that any point I have argued this from *my* point of view. It's from the point of view of what the actual rules and sticky state in plain language. Don't think it hasn't occurred to me that you literally can't argue those points without ignoring them and just attacking me.
>And a positive attitude, in combination with helpful information, will always be better for a community's growth than running around with a verbal machete attacking anyone you don't
This is wrong in every aspect. Go into any facebook photography group. Go read the commentary on flickr or 500px. That is what happens when you're prioritizing a "positive attitude".
>think fits your fascist view of what the board should be.
>fascist
Stopped even bothering to attempt to be clever?
>Want more photo threads? Post them.
>implying I don't
>>
>>2804167
Oh, look! Another "I didn't bother googling before posting a thread that can be answered in one post" thread. OP, seriously, you now know about the stupid questions thread and the gear thread.
>2804169
>>
>>2804178
if you think this can be answered in one post, then clearly you've never looked into light stands and lighting gear
>>
>>2804174
You're like an abusive boyfriend who says "I'd stop hitting you if you'd stop making me hit you"

Let's be clear, you ruined this thread, and your attitude and approach to /p/ has contributed to ruining the board. Why would anyone want to do anything productive helpful or remotely creative in this place when people like you are making posts like these?

Without you, this thread would have faded away quickly, being minimized and ignored by anyone who didn't want to see it. But you think you're the /p/olice and have to go around attacking people who disagree with you, and so it's here, on the front page, being a cesspool. Because of you, and only you.
>>
>>2804188
You're really reaching. I bet you are the same guy who can't figure out how to google halftone.
>>
>>2804192
I bet you're the same guy in multiple threads on the front page right now contributing nothing but vitriol and condescension without anything constructive of helpful in any way.
>>
>>2804189
>You're like an abusive boyfriend who says "I'd stop hitting you if you'd stop making me hit you"
Actually, I'm more like the friend who tells the abused girlfriend you're going to keep getting your ass kicked by not leaving that loser...but you really want to demonize me because you know I'm right.
>Let's be clear, you ruined this thread
Mission accomplished.
>and your attitude and approach to /p/
You really can't say that. You literally have no clue what else I post and have worked me up to be such a boogieman you can't possibly imagine I ever post in any way but like this.
>has contributed to ruining the board.
Not nearly as much as pandering to the likes of you has.
>Why would anyone want to do anything productive helpful or remotely creative in this place when people like you are making posts like these?
This thread is in no way productive or creative, absolutely no way, so the implication that you were doing such before interacting with me is patently false, but if you really need your ego stroked, there are plenty of other communities out there that'll do it for you.
>Without you, this thread would have faded away quickly, being minimized and ignored by anyone who didn't want to see it.
Are you new to slow boards in general? Anyway, which doesn't bring back the actually useful threads that get bumped because this retarded shit and shit like it is posted.
>But you think you're the /p/olice
I've no outgrown belief of my place in this world or on this board. I can only influence what I can influence in the ways that I can. Nothing more, nothing less.
>and have to go around attacking people who disagree with you
That isn't what happened. Again, no matter how many times you keep mischaracterizing, you're not right. That's literally the reason you have to keep mischaracterizing. Otherwise you'd not have a leg to stand on.
>and so it's here, on the front page, being a cesspool. Because of you, and only you.
Takes two to tango honey.
>>
>>2804202
What's pretty awesome is you're wrong. This is the only thread in which I'm exhibiting any vitriol.
>>
>>2803807

Op here,

Lol what the fuck happened in here?

Anyway, thanks for the replies I will look I to the recommendations given.

Also to the post in the gear thread guy, lol stay mad faggot.

>I am angry because someone posted a light stand topic in the FUCKING PHOTOGRAPHY BOARD of my favorite Chinese cartoon image board

>Being this butthurt over a forum post

Thanks for the giggle m8
>>
>>2803921
Nigger please.
>>
>>2807111

#rekt
>>
>>2803807
Hello, i would recommend the Matthews B386485 model. Its a 9.4' stand made from aluminum. I use these stands for all my lights except my Boom. That i use a Matthews Cstand with a Matthews baby boom arm. The Matthews 9'4 is perfect for outdoor work and built to probably outlast you.

http://www.samys.com/p/Light-Stands/B387485/Medium-Duty-Maxi-Aluminum-Kit-Stand---Black,-9ft-6/5770.html
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.