[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to take a great outdoor picture
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: beach-wedding-clothes-for-men.jpg (171 KB, 736x980) Image search: [Google]
beach-wedding-clothes-for-men.jpg
171 KB, 736x980
Is it possible to achieve a picture like pic related with a Nikon D600 with a Tamron 18-270mm lens? If not, what should I change? What settings should I have to make the same kind of picture
>>
>>2804944
You will need to add some sort of reflector to your kit, but what you have currently will certainly work, camera wise.

For settings, it will depend on the light source, but if you're shooting in daylight like that, ISO 100, somewhere around 100mm, f/8, and whatever shutter speed you need to use to not blow the highlights on your subject.

The sun is camera right, so your reflector would be camera left filling in the shadows on the subject.
>>
You mean, a well lit portrait with the background out of focus??? Just learn how to take portraits. Yes you can do it with your gear.
>>
>>2804944

I told you off in an earlier thread you posted for buying prematurely and without thinking. I hadn't realised that you were this green, my apologies.

Your combination is fine. Check out some portrait techniques around the web to learn about defocusing the background.

Long story short you want to use the long end of your lens (270mm) to achieve this effect. The issue with your lens though (as I pointed out) is that I know this lens at its long end is pretty soft looking. It isn't made for a camera like yours either! you might be able to get a similar shot but it will be much softer than the OP.

A better choice would be trade that lens in ASAP (if still have return period) and plop a couple hundred extra into the great Tamron 70-200 2.8. It will be far more suited to this purpose, shoot at 200 f2.8 and be impressed!

Gear aside there is some technique that goes into a shot like this. First as another poster mentioned there is likely a reflector camera left filling in the detail. The original shot also likely metered for the sky (which is a bit blown) and might have brought the shadows up in post.

If any of these points confuses you then I suggest you hunt around and try and read a bit more. Photography requires the ability to educate yourself about the technical and creative aspects of the craft. Every great photographer is a great learner.
>>
>>2805900
Thank you, very detailed post. Yeah I know nothing about photography. I used to think the camera did everything automatically but I realise there is a lot more to it. Father bought the lens a long time ago but could always sell it used
>>
>>2805730
This. The blunt truth is instead of spoon feeding you what you can do to achieve this result, you ought to just experiment and study for yourself, that way you won't have the need to make a post like this each time you want to take a different picture. However the answer is yes, you can achieve this result with your gear.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.