[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ken Rockwell wrecked my dreams.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: images.jpg (9 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9 KB, 225x225
>Really want to become photographer, journalism or sports
>Look into getting bachelors degree
>Get very excited, never been happier in my life
>Read http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/go-pro.htm
>never been more depressed

:(
>>
>>2694526

as much shit as rockwell gets, this is bretty good
>>
>>2694528
Agreed. I just read it and felt like he's giving the cold hard truth. Granted it won't apply to every single pro photog out there, but I like his practical approach to the matter. As far as keeping a regular job and doing shoots on the side to supplement the income, it makes a lot of sense. I also think that to the days here when there were countless threads where the OPs rode the hype train saying they were ready to move to full frame and didn't have the budget to get anything beyond the body LEL.

Anyway, OP if it's really your dream to do it professionally then don't give up totally Just go into it knowing that life isn't going to be suddenly sweet once you gear up and start doing jobs.
>>
ken knoooows foootooo

I shoot jpeg

only a profesionel photographer like me can see those differences.

I'm a profesional artsist.

Please support my growing family.

I make profesionel artist. My fotos is art. Look how arty my fotos from grand canyon is.

A7s II is for amateurs. Like shooting raw is for hobbyists. Only hobbyists pixel peep. Profs like me shot only jpeg. Nikon makes best jpeg.

I tell you how the business works, because I'm profesionel and I know how everything works. I sucksesfull dicks like all day.
>>
I think people often confuse professional photographer with famous photographer.

I don't think I'd want to be a professional photographer. I would, on the other hand, love to be a famous photographer.
>>
How long before YouTube photography channels open Patreons?
>>
>>2694589
I'm pretty sure that's already happened, but I can't name any channels off the top of my head.
>>
File: D3R_5955-bokeh-1200.jpg (105 KB, 522x713) Image search: [Google]
D3R_5955-bokeh-1200.jpg
105 KB, 522x713
only pros shoot in pro mode, thats why its called pro mode.

PLEASE DONATE PLEASE DONATE PLEASE DONATE PLEASE DONATE PLEASE DONATE PLEASE DONATE PLEASE DONATE PLEASE DONATE PLEASE DONATE PLEASE DONATE PLEASE DONATE PLEASE DONATE PLEASE DONATE PLEASE DONATE PLEASE DONATE PLEASE DONATE PLEASE DONATE PLEASE DONATE PLEASE DONATE PLEASE DONATE PLEASE DONATE PLEASE DONATE PLEASE DONATE

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwarePicasa
PhotographerPicasa
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Created2015:10:29 20:19:55
Image Width522
Image Height713
Unique Image ID6cc23ca3848470f1bbe0735c6e702782
>>
>>2694592
Someone should tell Ken about Patreon
>>
>>2694526
I legitmately think Ken Rockwell is the biggest fucking asshole in the world. As a Brooks grad all I can say is seventeen Brooks alumni are working full time at Boeing.
>>
>>2694607

Lol wut
>>
>>2694609
doing everything from scientific high speed stuff down to inhouse reports. it may be less with the downsize a few years ago but around 2013, the head of the photo and motion capture was a Brooks grad from the seventies and only hired brookies
>>
>>2694526
Unfortunately even a broken clock is right twice a day and this is one of those times. Get a STEM bachelor's degree anon.

A good career with a high earning potential.. you'll end up with MORE time and opportunities to shoot then being a poorfag or min wage fag.

As you'll be able to afford gear, travel, models, whatever.

Your photography will likely progress faster that way too.

Truth hurts.
>>
File: 16394058695.png (227 KB, 333x300) Image search: [Google]
16394058695.png
227 KB, 333x300
>>2694550
>Only hobbyists pixel peep
>>
>>2694621

Of all the successful photographers I know who are able to travel freely and focus on their work, precisely zero have a degree in stem.

On the other hand, I would wager that half of the fags you see with a current gen body and 2.8 zoom burning a thousand frames an hour at the local zoo are engineers.
>>
>>2694617

So one nepotistic manager hiring a handful of people (most likely his friends) into a completely unrelated industry is a sign of Brooks's success?
>>
>>2694589
>>2694591
Adam from YMS uses Patreon for his videos.
>>
>>2694959
took the words right out of my mouth
>>
>>2694526

Younger brother has a BFA with photo concentration. Started as a Creative director now a Digital Marketing Manager at Apple.

Mate from HS has no formal art education, works as a DP and AD. (reality TV shows, alt sports videography, travels the world, helicopter skiing docs)

Cousin with BFA works in high end retail marketing freelance (makes a comfortable living in Chicago, very scene)

I have a BS in biology, do tons of macro work and microscopic imaging for print publications.

Get the point yet? Doesn't matter what you study in college so you might as well do whatever makes you happiest.

Ken is bitter as fuck tbh fam.
>>
>>2694969
Adam is a movie reviewer, not a photographer
>>
>>2694526
Well look at the bright side: it's easy to became a photojournalist, just become a newspaper reporter.

Smaller papers can't afford to have dedicated photographers anymore, which means the modern reporter must be able to fill that role.

I've been on the job for several months and I've shot everything from high school sports to crime scenes and raging fires with an English degree and no prior photography experience (although I'm learning a lot now).
>>
>>2695024
How difficult was it to get into that field? My girlfriend is graduating with an English degree and is freaking out about not finding work.
>>
>>2694977
>I have a BS in biology, do tons of macro work and microscopic imaging for print publications.
Show your work then.
>>
>>2694526
This is the best advice you will evar get.

Support his family and suck it up.
>>
>>2695029
It can be either very easy or very difficult.

Getting a good journalism gig when you're just starting out is all about who you know. I got my first gig out of college because I made connections with the owner of the daily that covers the city my college is located in. He happened to be at an event I was covering for the college paper. I introduced myself, we talked, and when I mentioned I was graduating in a month he gave me his card. Got in touch when I saw a job opening and here I am now.

Getting good internships in college is also a good way to network and get an in. The company I work for hires a lot of former interns for full-time positions. I did not get a chance to do an internship due to circumstances, but before that encounter I really wish I did.
>>
>>2694550
> mentioned on half of the /p/ threads
> openly states it's more about self promotion than photo quality
> actually makes money running small business
> gives shitload of useful advises for free
> actually shoots better than 95% of /p/

Inb4 mah pixles a7 hurr durr
>>
>>2694578

Underrated post.

I'm "semiprofessional". I'd rather have a normal job and be "famous" for the paid weekend/evening gigs I choose to do, than slog through days and days of School Photo Days just to be "professional".
>>
All I can say about being a pro photographer is either get good at networking or get extremely good at taking photos. Your competition grows a shitload every single day. I am nothing but a lowly photo intern(hngggggg) at a local newspaper though, so feel free to ignore me.

Also, I'm not speaking against a Bachelors in photo, but I rarely hear about photographers that have a degree in photography.

>>2694959
My GOD

Your typical "Doctor with DSLR" is memeical too
>>
File: leo.jpg (20 KB, 640x285) Image search: [Google]
leo.jpg
20 KB, 640x285
If you really want to learn/study photography, study art history.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareGoogle
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width640
Image Height285
>>
>>2694977
>started as a creative director at apple

in your case it sounds like the degree had nothing to do with it m8. smells like nepotism

so yeah i guess that does make the point; it really doesn't fucking matter what you study in college, that much is true. your job prospects are far more based on your geography and financial upbringing
>>
>>2695201
>smells like nepotism
> geography and finances

na bru
Graduated shit tier college
No friends/family at apple
2,500 miles from cupertino
Firmly blue collar family
Based portfolio

Worked at an apple store in college, doubt the store manager holds alot of sway throughout the Apple organization.

It's far more about talent, ambition, confidence, the kinds of things "lucky people" seem to have in abundance.
>>
>>2694526
Kekoldrey desu baka sempai
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.