[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey professional /p/hotogs Why did you choose to be a photographer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: 5466113.jpg (33 KB, 477x290) Image search: [Google]
5466113.jpg
33 KB, 477x290
Hey professional /p/hotogs

Why did you choose to be a photographer when it doesn't bring in prestige, wealth, fame and the qt3.14s?
Is it because you are not intellectually gifted? If you are then you will be a quantum physicist, a medical scientist or an inventor.
Is it because you are not physically gifted?
Because if you are you might be an actor or an athlete or even a model.
Is it because you are not creative enough?
If you are you are already a painter, animator, writer, film director or even a graphic artist.
Is it because you are not charismatic or have social skills?
If you are you have already a business or be a lawyer or a politician.

Most photographers are mediocre human beings who just want to earn a quick buck by having FIRST NAME, LAST NAME PHOTOGRAPHY. Face it /p/, being a photographer is easy as fuck. Society considers photographers as having the same par with managers of a fast food chain. Meaning they didn't amount to anything. I know most of you are lowlifes who wasn't able to fulfill their childhood dreams due to being lazy or not good enough in general so good thing there's photography right?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
File: DoNotReply.jpg (722 KB, 1250x1250) Image search: [Google]
DoNotReply.jpg
722 KB, 1250x1250

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Macintosh
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution200 dpi
Vertical Resolution200 dpi
Image Created2013:08:01 13:51:58
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1250
Image Height1250
>>
It's a dreadful mistake to make career decisions based solely on money or fame, as you clearly do. These are both entirely pointless aims in and of themselves. So you make all the money - but it's worthless unless you have something to spend it on. It's just a means to an end. Now, you could spend your money on conspicuous consumption, which is just a vain attempt to exchange your cash for social standing, or you could put in the hours in exchange for having the cash to enable you to do things you truly enjoy in your time off. Travelling, fixing vintage cars, whatever floats your boat.

If photography is what you enjoy doing, you could either work long hours in some dull grind in order to finance your hobby during your limited time off, or you could be a professional photographer and spend all the time doing it. Your income balance is going to be lower, but it's obviously a smarter way of getting more or what you like while having to sacrifice less time to drudgery.

So effectively, as the whole "income" argument is clearly specious, your question boils down to "why are you not addicted to fame / increasing your social standing amongst people who measure such things in extremely superficial ways". I don't see any need to answer that point, as I see no reason to choose a career based on what judgemental and immature people will think of me.
>>
>>2800997
>Most photographers are mediocre human beings who just want to earn a quick buck by having FIRST NAME, LAST NAME PHOTOGRAPHY.

this desu.

if you doubt it, count how many "/p/ HOW CAN I EARN MONEY WITH MY CAMERA" posts we get every month.
>>
>>2801001
>If photography is what you enjoy doing
>thinking anyone enjoys taking photographs

Most photographers who actually enjoy taking photos are creeps who wants to have sex with the model.

>Well what about those street shooters who document the daily lives of people blah blah

Same as Elliot Rodger stalking couples

Face it, if professional photographers were given another chance at life, they wouldn't choose photography. Hobbyist photographers are mostly gearfags who don't even shoot.
>>
>>2801006
If you consider it impossible for anyone to enjoy photography, you're on the wrong board.
>>
Hobby.

Nothing else. A regular job brings my money.
>>
>>2800997
nice b8 m8
>>
File: paypay.jpg (239 KB, 3197x525) Image search: [Google]
paypay.jpg
239 KB, 3197x525
>tfw you cant argue for a raise because of median pay

seriously hows is the median pay so low for inhouse photographers?
>>
>>2801081
>getting paid $52,000 a year
>to take pisseasy eyeline shots

thats ludicrously generous
>>
>>2800997
Somebody doesn't apperciate /p/s crit
>>
>>2801180
yup all i do is take pictures of eyes buddy :^)
my monitor is at 3197x525 for optimal workflow
>>
>>2801188
This. OPs entire rant seemed like rampant butthurt
>>
>>2800997
OP, I have been an award-winning artist, published author, actor, professional athlete, lawyer (argued in my state's Supreme Court), and photographer. Maybe some of us don't live in that little box you would like to put us in.
>>
>>2801233
You could add to that advanced rescue scuba diver and a variety of other things.
>>
>>2801233

You sound like a faggot dabbler.
>>
File: shit.jpg (2 KB, 218x23) Image search: [Google]
shit.jpg
2 KB, 218x23
>>2800997
>Why did you choose to be a photographer when it doesn't bring in prestige, wealth, fame and the qt3.14s?
>implying I did
>>
>>2801233
>i did a bunch of garbage tier shit and never found success
ftfy
>>
>>2801346
OP was the one who put forth the notion that no photographer could ever have been an actor, writer, lawyer, athlete, etc. I was merely replying that a person can in fact successfully be a number of those things, and many at the same time. One doesn't exclude the others.

And when you make some real money, it frees you up considerably to follow your interests, so I would not refer to that situation as "garbage tier shit and never found success" as you put it. Jelly some?
>>
>>2800997
>2016
>still limiting yourself

Why not do everything because you can OP?
>>
>Face it /p/, being a photographer is easy as fuck.

Post pics anon. It's easy to take pictures, but it's hard to convince some slackjawed dullard like you to pay hundreds of dollars for mine.
>>
because i honest to god love my job and the experiences/friendships i've made doing it.

>inb4 loser
>>
>Society considers photographers as having the same par with managers of a fast food chain. Meaning they didn't amount to anything.
I agree. Though that's usually because people don't look at the skills required to be at the top of your game. Problem solving is a biggie. Anyone can push a shutter, not everyone can think on their toes.
>>2801233
>I have been an award-winning artist, published author, actor, professional athlete, lawyer (argued in my state's Supreme Court), and photographer
Nice.

I hate to do this but, someone has to.
You are a published author, an actor, PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE and a lawyer (this bit seems sketchy).

Care to provide more details? I mean. That's pretty amazing, Artist, author, actor, athlete, lawyer, photographer. I don't need a name, just details.
What sort of artist?
What sort of book did you write? How many titles? How many copies were sold? If not a book, what magazine/outlet?
Professional athlete? What sport? I won't ask what level, you said PRO. That's pretty amazing, I'm most impressed with this.
Lawyer? Argued in your state's supreme court? You studied as a lawyer to do that along with your athleticism and craft? Jesus Christo, man. Where do you find the time? I'll admit, I'm putting this one down to you representing yourself or employment law (which anyone can practice, lel) but. Really. details!

And a photographer on top. Well, I guess the definition of photographer as well as artist is vague. Author is too, but you did say published!
I don't doubt someone can have this much experience, I've had a tonne too in various fields but those are some mighty fine and impressive claims d e s u.
>>2802113
>tfw better photog than my friend
>tfw when he gets work because he markets himself and wants to be a jew
>tfw I don't want to work as a photographer
One doesn't equate the other t b h

>>2802743
If those friendships are exclusive to a job and can't survive without it, well, sorry, I got news for you:
>>
>>2802751
2016 isn't even halfway over yet and we already have a nomination for /p/'s shitpost of the year
>>
File: luke-anh3.jpg (62 KB, 534x600) Image search: [Google]
luke-anh3.jpg
62 KB, 534x600
>>2802751
The answers would be long and boring for most here, so here's the skinny:

Local art contests and magazine covers from very young age and teens.

Baseball (after 3 years of college). Though pretty good at most sports/athletics. Five years but did not make the Show.

Real attorney with a Juris Doctorate, though no undergraduate degree. Law school was after baseball, not at the same time.

Wrote three law-related books, such as "School Administrators' Guide to Due Process in Special Education". Also wrote an article about injury suits between family members.

Got into acting because my daughter was acting so why not? First film role was as an attorney so that was a real stretch. I knew considerably more about that than the director.

Picked up a camera as a teenager. Took evidence photos for legal cases. Have had sports photos published. Sometimes now take more than a thousand photos in a day, and get paid for it when I do. These days I can be selective about which legal matters I choose to get involved in, so as to leave myself some free time for fun and being a Dad.

BTW, does /p/ know that the original Star Wars light sabers were actually these flash handles?

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 20D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop 7.0
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2012:03:04 11:18:55
Exposure Time1/200 sec
F-Numberf/14.0
Exposure ProgramUnknown
ISO Speed Rating65535
Lens Aperturef/14.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeUnknown
FlashFlash, Return Detected
Focal Length40.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width534
Image Height600
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.