[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does Eric Kim have the means to do what he does ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: eric.jpg (93 KB, 640x390) Image search: [Google]
eric.jpg
93 KB, 640x390
Where does he get the money to travel the world, and afford Leica cameras ?
Not to glorify him or something but he does is awesome. How does he do this ?
>>
>>2799276
Sponsorship

Leica give him the cameras, he promotes Leica in his at his workshops. Leica use his pictures in their promotional literature as examples of good photography.

People look at that stuff and say to themselves "if Leica think it is good it must be good". They then pay large sums of money to attend his workshops. While they are at his workshops they buy signed copies of his books and 'limited edition' prints. Afterwards they go on forums and talk abut him.

The clubs and galleries etc that host his workshops pay his travel expenses
>>
>>2799276
trustfund babbies
>>
>>2799276
Kinda unrelated but I kinda like him now, his blog isn't amazing or anything but you can find some pretty good references and links there, and his photography has improved over the past few years his good photos are hard to find (because he likes to flaunt the same 6 images in every blog post he writes) but he has some pretty good shots

Still awkward and weird though
>>
>>2799276
He hosts workshops that are like $500/sesh
>>
good or not, he writes wayyy more than the average photog.

fuck i follow commercial bloggers and all they do is cocktease with ambiguous bts shots.

but also consider a normal salary, travelling isnt that expensive - especially his main goal is to just take snapshits. 1-bedroom apartment and he probably makes more than entry 50k salary you can easily bum travel with planning.
>>
>>2799276
He seems like a nice guy.

He must make a bit of cash from his workshops.

He's not the best photographer from what I've seen of his work, but I've seen videos of his shooting style on the street - he's extremely good at engaging strangers and getting them to pose for his shots.
>>
>>2799276
He's shit.
>>
>>2799452
Post some of your superior pictures senpai
>>
I think he travels backpacker, probably doesn't cost him much. Also if you read his blog, he seems to get most of his cameras for free, and he sells everything he's not using, so not only does it not cost him anything, he might actually even gain money from it.

Also yeah his workshops are like $500, so with only like ten attendees his travel expenses get paid for and he makes a bunch of money on top.

I'm a fan of what he's doing really, it's what I would (want to) do if I was a pro. I don't much like his writing style or his videos, but whatever works for him I guess.
>>
>>2799464
>he travels backpacker

along with his expensive cameras? how?
>>
>>2799513
From what i read on his blog he usually just carry a Leica a 35mm and or a R I C O H G R.

My main gripe with him that his blog post are too frecuent, because he say the same things again and again and again.
>>
>>2799276
he is an annoying pushy cunt. that's an option to get ahead in life if you don't have talent (you still need it even if you're talented tho)
>>
>>2799312
His mother literally held three jobs to get them through.
>>
He was smart enough to sell the M9 his mother bought him and replaced it with a film Leica.

He does his thing and doesn't whore himself out like a lot of online photographers. He uses his university education to his advantage.

He and Ming Thein are the only two workshops that people will actually learn stuff from.
>>
hes not the best blogger in the world but hes really not a danger to photography, he has shit loads of experience in street photography so he has some useful information...even if he is weird
>>
>>2799947
>He does his thing and doesn't whore himself out like a lot of online photographers.
Is this a joke?
>>
>>2799762
Damn. Truth bombs deployed.
>>
Fantastic summary top tier...
>>
Workshops, books and sponsorship. That's how.
Nothing out of the ordinary.
>>
This may shock some of you, but not liking someone doesn't automatically make them wrong.
>>
>>2799276
Clearly he is sponsored. It's not very mysterious...
>>
>>2799762
Kek
Annoying pushy cunt detected
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.